Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 01-06-2014, 05:39 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Forza makes you do micro transaction to win the game.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:47 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat316 View Post
Forza makes you do micro transaction to win the game.
I don't think so. I have millions in CR just chilling in my account.

also, forza rewards . com or whatever the site is rewards you if you've played Forza before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:23 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just got the YLOD for the first time with my first gen ps3. I'sa sad.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:46 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
Icon

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I started KH 1.5 today. Was gonna play it all day til I got offered a shift tonight which I took. Love the game, but I'll always hate Minny's gigantic head.

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:24 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
I just got the YLOD for the first time with my first gen ps3. I'sa sad.
That really sucks. I'd be somadbro if that happened to me. I keep my systems on a wire rack, though. So they generally don't have any issues with getting too hot.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:59 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Turns out I have some great friends. I posted this on Facebook last night and now have two PS3's being mailed to my house as I type this.
One guy has 3 of them and is giving me one that doesn't play blurays but plays all games. Another friend of mine doesn't use his anymore bc he's upgraded to a PS4.

I'm missing out on so much Last Of Us, Netflix and Madden 12 (w/ updated rosters)

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:52 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What are people's thoughts on the steam box/controller? I'm not overly caught up on it but isn't it just a PC thats more game specific centric? Also that controller looks awful and at best Ive heard its just "ok".

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:55 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

anyone download Don't Starve on PS3/PS4?
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:24 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
What are people's thoughts on the steam box/controller? I'm not overly caught up on it but isn't it just a PC thats more game specific centric? Also that controller looks awful and at best Ive heard its just "ok".
I have seen a couple reviews that say it could be something awesome but they didn't have the touchscreen built in. They also say it won't replace a keyboard and mouse but could be a pretty good addition to gamers arsenals.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:27 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess I'm wondering why i wouldn't just get a good PC then? To me it just seems like a dummy version for gamers who don't know alot about PC (which I am). However in my case if I were to make the transition to PC I would do the research and build one as opposed to buying something overly expensive like the steam machine. I guess as someone who isn't a PC gamer, the whole thing seems very ambiguous to me. I'm not sure why one would go with a steam box.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:31 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
if they get folks to port their games to linux, it will give every game a massive, massive performance boost over literally anything on the market. i don't think it would be quite as wide as the console to pc gap, but it would be noticeable.

also, you can use, i believe, any controller. because it's still a pc.

if they get enough games on it and if i can build one cheap enough, i'll do it, and i'll stop buying consoles, since they'd lose literally every single advantage they have now.

edit: the point is that it can function as a console. point and click and play. and you can build your own, because it's still just a pc with a specialized OS. so even if you're pc-illiterate, it'll basically work the same as a console for you. but better in every single way.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:34 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
if they get folks to port their games to linux, it will give every game a massive, massive performance boost over literally anything on the market. i don't think it would be quite as wide as the console to pc gap, but it would be noticeable.

also, you can use, i believe, any controller. because it's still a pc.

if they get enough games on it and if i can build one cheap enough, i'll do it, and i'll stop buying consoles, since they'd lose literally every single advantage they have now.

edit: the point is that it can function as a console. point and click and play. and you can build your own, because it's still just a pc with a specialized OS.
Ok thats what I thought, but if its essentially just a PC wouldn't building a PC end up being just as efficient while being much cheaper? Or does the box have exclusive tech? Also since I'm not up to speed on the linux thing, do you mean literally any game or just most games, because wouldn't consoles still get their exclusives, or would people be able to port it over via the steam box. God I feel so technologically inept right now.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-08-2014, 10:38 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The box is designed to fit into your entertainment system. PCs are great but unless you build one specifically for that purpose you are going to be playing at a desk vs in your living room or carting your tower around.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:39 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Ok thats what I thought, but if its essentially just a PC wouldn't building a PC end up being just as efficient while being much cheaper? Or does the box have exclusive tech? Also since I'm not up to speed on the linux thing, do you mean literally any game or just most games, because wouldn't consoles still get their exclusives, or would people be able to port it over via the steam box. God I feel so technologically inept right now.
so the idea with selling a version is so that someone who's never opened up their chassis can just grab one off the shelf, take it home, plug it in and start playing. if you know what you're doing, there's ALWAYS an advantage to building your own (just like a non-gaming pc).

any game that was manufactured for it would perform better. sure, some folks might continue to try to go exclusive for xbox/ps (no idea why anyone does this currently, but whatever), but if the market works the way valve thinks it will, then they should get some pretty good availability.

the really interesting part isn't the box, that's just hardware. the interesting part is how the OS will work to support a gaming system.

(i'm trying to ELI5 as much as possible)
Old 01-08-2014, 10:45 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Thus we should see how this plays out prior to purchasing one (not that I was really considering it anytime soon), as opposed to building a PC if I were to make that switch.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-08-2014, 10:48 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

Honestly my suggestion would to just build a PC. You have an Xbox so your console gaming is taken care of and the PC will allow you do exactly what a Steambox does.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:50 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
Honestly my suggestion would to just build a PC. You have an Xbox so your console gaming is taken care of and the PC will allow you do exactly what a Steambox does.
This is more or less what I was wondering when i asked. Why wouldn't I just build my own system? I have plenty of tech knowledgeable people that could help me build my own machine and get me up to speed on these things. The steam box seems like its PC for dummies with instant hook up ease.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-08-2014, 10:53 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Almost all of the Steam Machines are built on completely commercially available products...

****, if you know exactly what you want to get out of one and what you want to spend, I can tell you what you need to buy.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:58 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

you can always dual load the steamOS onto a built PC (which is what i'd end up doing), so if you have the ability, i don't see any reason to buy the box off the shelf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
and the PC will allow you do exactly what a Steambox does.
that's really not the case though. it "feels" right, but again, the OS is completely different. it's not just like your desktop pc, and it should play games much better than your desktop pc, with an interface built more for console users.

*shrug*

i don't disagree that building a pc is a good idea, but i think people have a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of what valve is doing.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:04 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
you can always dual load the steamOS onto a built PC (which is what i'd end up doing), so if you have the ability, i don't see any reason to buy the box off the shelf.

that's really not the case though. it "feels" right, but again, the OS is completely different. it's not just like your desktop pc, and it should play games much better than your desktop pc, with an interface built more for console users.

*shrug*

i don't disagree that building a pc is a good idea, but i think people have a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of what valve is doing.
The bolded answers what you said below. At least that is what I was getting at.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:19 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I might be the only person not all that excited for the SteamBox :(

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:23 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I might be the only person not all that excited for the SteamBox :(
I'm not either, I was just looking for a better grasp of it compared to a good PC. And I got the answer I pretty much thought in the first place.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-08-2014, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Also with the console generation starting to branch into central media devices, couldn't MS or Sony do something similar with their next launch to bridge that gap between PC and console even further? With the success of the console market already behind them I would think that wouldn't be the most difficult move to make, especially for MS. Or is that just too far off base to assume.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-08-2014, 11:38 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Also with the console generation starting to branch into central media devices, couldn't MS or Sony do something similar with their next launch to bridge that gap between PC and console even further? With the success of the console market already behind them I would think that wouldn't be the most difficult move to make, especially for MS. Or is that just too far off base to assume.
possibly, but steam is already far better than anything either would build. they (sony and ms) just have to hope that the off-the-shelf versions stay expensive, that lay-people don't understand them, or that people don't port their games to linux.

i'm slightly biased, in that i think all of the media 'features' of current gen consoles are a pathetic joke, so i'm trying to focus solely on the technical aspects, rather than any usability stuff.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:57 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just want to use my xbox for video games, I haven't found a new to buy xbox one.

Once they stop making games, then i'll think about console vs desktop.