Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 10-24-2013, 01:13 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Miami and FSU are both in the mid 70s in scholarship athletes. *shrug*
Easy to look passed it when you get a little slap on the wrist and are able to walk away from it. Especially when the actions were worse than ours. Shoulda self sanctioned...thats how you get off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
Easy to look passed it when you get a little slap on the wrist and are able to walk away from it. Especially when the actions were worse than ours. Shoulda self sanctioned...thats how you get off.
Yeah, Miami fans are swarming USC boards gloating about Wyche and their sanctions(or lack of) right now. Just S.T.F.U., consider yourself lucky, and carry on...
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:17 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Our actions weren't worse than yours.
2. Pleading guilty is always better than spitting in the judges face
3. That's completely irrelevant because we're talking about players currently on scholarship, where Miami, USC and FSU are comparable.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:21 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As much as I like to **** on Miami, I'm not sure how their actions were worse than USC?

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:22 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It was over a longer period of time, there were more players getting paid, there were recruits being paid, there were athletes from other programs getting paid...

...I mean do I really have to go on?

But because they admitted to it long after it happened its ok.

Quote:
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:24 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

"Many of Miamiís violations were undetected by the university over a 10-year period, and they centered on a booster entertaining prospects and student-athletes at his home, on his yacht and in various restaurants and clubs. Approximately 30 student-athletes were involved with the booster. Several football coaches, three menís basketball coaches and two athletics department staff members were also involved in the case. These staff members had a poor understanding of NCAA rules or felt comfortable breaking them. Furthermore, some of the coaches provided false information during the enforcement staff and universityís investigation."
Old 10-24-2013, 01:28 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reggie Bush got over 290k in gifts during his time at USC for him and his family.

I mean....hello.

There was also an investigation in to OJ Mayo so it was multiple departments of the sports program just like Miami.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
Old 10-24-2013, 01:31 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Miami and FSU are both in the mid 70s in scholarship athletes. *shrug*
I thought we were at about 80 not accounting for Mario Pender.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:32 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

I really hope Pender plays a down for us eventually.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 10-24-2013, 01:56 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
Reggie Bush got over 290k in gifts during his time at USC for him and his family.

I mean....hello.

There was also an investigation in to OJ Mayo so it was multiple departments of the sports program just like Miami.
I hate siding with Miami here, but this should be a lesson that cooperating with the NCAA goes a long ways in not getting put over the barrel by the NCAA when it comes to punishment. Miami SHOULD have lost a few more scholarships, probably in line with USC and PSU given the length of time this happened and the complete LOIC. Honestly Miami should face that as long as they keep that dumb ***** as President.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:57 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
I really hope Pender plays a down for us eventually.
I would love to see that one day but I think there's a better chance Callahan "Not So" Bright suits up before Pender.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:58 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
I thought we were at about 80 not accounting for Mario Pender.
Read 77 the other day but I didn't verify or anything.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 10-24-2013, 02:07 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Read 77 the other day but I didn't verify or anything.
Looking at the roster I see 76 I know are on scholarship, thought we were up at 80 after losing Trey Pettis, Will Tye, and Willie Haulstead before the season started. Also unsure how Pender would be counted, although I kept him in my total.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:35 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Still, point is, the scholarship number is a crutch that's getting leaned on a bit too much by USC.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 10-24-2013, 02:42 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Still, point is, the scholarship number is a crutch that's getting leaned on a bit too much by USC.
If anything it furthers the point of what an elite S&C Program can do for a team. It isn't like we haven't been bit by injuries, we lost an important WR in Scooter Haggins and James Wilder Jr. has barely seen the field. We lost our two blocking TE's for either the entire season and in Jeremy Kerr's case over half of the season. We had so little depth at RB (because Mario Pender can't spell his own name) that we had to move a key defensive player over to the other side of the ball. We lost 2 other important WRs in Greg Dent (potential starter) and Willie Haulstead (hard to believe how good he used to be now) before the season to dumbassery.

Yet we're #2 in the country and USCw is 4-3. The scholarship limitations didn't help them, but with the idiot they called a coach, it is clear why they suck now. I always thought USC viewed his as a Ron Zook type of guy who could recruit well enough to weather the storm who would then be replaced be a real A-list coach. Unfortunately he recruited about as well as Ron Zook coaches.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

N.C. State Keys to Vic..aw hell honey will you bring me a beer?

The NC State preview of this weekend's game. I didn't realize they were coming off consecutive losses to Wake Forest and Syracuse. They sure firing TOB was really the best idea?
Old 10-24-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Quote:
Must be sunny on the outside looking in huh? Maybe you should offer roster advice while your at it....

Seriously, I know it is a message board but if you haven't seen or been around the USC scholly crunch since the origination of the sanctions your opinion is moot. When parents of the players and the coaches alike are expressing concern of injury due to the scholarship numbers you know it is an area of concern.

Hold your opinion up and shine it bright but the reality is you have not the slightest idea of what you are talking about.

USC is starting walk ons and starters alike all over the board. The wear and tear cannot be ignored.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:55 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Yet we're #2 in the country and USCw is 4-3. The scholarship limitations didn't help them, but with the idiot they called a coach, it is clear why they suck now. I always thought USC viewed his as a Ron Zook type of guy who could recruit well enough to weather the storm who would then be replaced be a real A-list coach. Unfortunately he recruited about as well as Ron Zook coaches.
The talent that he has brought in over the time of the sanctions has been great, and in most cases they are elite recruits. But the numbers aren't there...for us to not bring in a full class (Full class for us - not a full 25)last year absolutely killed us. We had an unbelievable class last year regardless of how many were coming in, but when you don't close on em, we weren't in a situation to miss like that.

Quote:
Old 10-24-2013, 03:00 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
Must be sunny on the outside looking in huh? Maybe you should offer roster advice while your at it....

Seriously, I know it is a message board but if you haven't seen or been around the USC scholly crunch since the origination of the sanctions your opinion is moot. When parents of the players and the coaches alike are expressing concern of injury due to the scholarship numbers you know it is an area of concern.

Hold your opinion up and shine it bright but the reality is you have not the slightest idea of what you are talking about.

USC is starting walk ons and starters alike all over the board. The wear and tear cannot be ignored.
How many scholarship athletes does USC currently have?

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 10-24-2013, 03:07 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I am guessing somewhere in the 60's, which means walkons shouldn't be starting (other than a K or P).
Old 10-24-2013, 03:10 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
I am guessing somewhere in the 60's, which means walkons shouldn't be starting (other than a K or P).
Walkons will be starting or be getting significant playing time at both WR and TE. Possibly Runningback, and wouldnt be surprised about DB.

Quote:
Old 10-24-2013, 03:12 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

I was seriously asking for a number, not being retorical or anything.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 10-24-2013, 03:15 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I was seriously asking for a number, not being retorical or anything.
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/2013...hip-reductions

Quote:
USC coach Lane Kiffin started this season with only 70 players on scholarship because of NCAA sanctions, but is that the cause for the Trojans’ struggles this season?
Article is about a month old, but this stands out:

Quote:
USC used 48 players against Utah State last weekend and 44 were on scholarship. Thirty players were used on offense and defense. This is supposed to be Exhibit A for how USC is operating with one hand tied behind its back.

How unusual is it? Here are some figures from two random games in 2009 before USC was hit by NCAA sanctions. In the 2009 Emerald Bowl, USC used 52 players. However, Boston College used only 44 players. In the same 2009 season, USC used 53 players against Washington.

Last edited by MassNole : 10-24-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

70 scholarship players starting the season. Walk Ons are starting because low scholarship numbers and injuries.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:20 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
70 scholarship players starting the season. Walk Ons are starting because low scholarship numbers and injuries.
Last year Georgia had only 69 scholarship players and were a play or two away from winning the SECCG and finished 12-2 in the SEC. So really no the most convincing argument for USCw right now.