Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 09:26 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,724
Reputation: 1921616
JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default A&M and Mizzou dispel one SEC myth

Mid level Big 12 teams are doing very well in the SEC.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:45 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 7,242
Reputation: 1824401
BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

What are you trying to say? That if Kentucky or Vanderbilt or Miss St weren't in the SEC, they wouldn't be destroying other conferences and most likely be conference champions without a doubt???

That can't be. The SEC is the best.
__________________

Sig by the King BK


Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:05 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 804
Posts: 7,693
Reputation: 263811
JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Wasn't Missouri once ranked as highly as #2 in the country not too many years ago? It isn't anything too farfetched that they are managing to do well in the SEC. And doesn't A&M have the entire state of Texas to recruit from? Again no surprise. Heck I think FSU & OSU could more then hold their own in the SEC.
JRTPlaya21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:54 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,476
Reputation: 392264
Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I'm still skeptical of Missouri. The two teams they've beaten, that everyone is getting worked up about, have been injury plagued and didn't have their best players on the field. I think Missouri is lucky to be playing in the SEC East in a year when the schools in that division are having their worst seasons since I'd say 2007. I'm not trying to be contrarian but I'm just not that impressed with their conference wins. They beat a .500 Vanderbilt team, a UGA team that was without its best wide receivers, TE, and top two RBs, and a UF team that has no offense, injury plagued, and is demoralized. Will Muschamp said it best when he said "We're just not a very good football team."

Texas A&M is a case where I think they just finally got the right head coach and somebody who could take advantage of all that he had to work with.

I also wouldn't say that both those teams were mid-level teams, and if they were still in the Big-12 they certainly wouldn't beat mid-level teams. Missouri's season in 2007 was really remarkable, especially the amount of future NFL guys it had on it. This isn't the first time they've opened a season undefeated either. In 2006 they opened the season 6-0, 2010 7-0, 2007 and 2008 5-0. They opened up the first half of their season undefeated plenty of times in the Big 12 only to lose eventually.
__________________
Jcn92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:11 PM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,693
Reputation: 68586
jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
I'm still skeptical of Missouri. The two teams they've beaten, that everyone is getting worked up about, have been injury plagued and didn't have their best players on the field. I think Missouri is lucky to be playing in the SEC East in a year when the schools in that division are having their worst seasons since I'd say 2007. I'm not trying to be contrarian but I'm just not that impressed with their conference wins. They beat a .500 Vanderbilt team, a UGA team that was without its best wide receivers, TE, and top two RBs, and a UF team that has no offense, injury plagued, and is demoralized. Will Muschamp said it best when he said "We're just not a very good football team."

Texas A&M is a case where I think they just finally got the right head coach and somebody who could take advantage of all that he had to work with.

I also wouldn't say that both those teams were mid-level teams, and if they were still in the Big-12 they certainly wouldn't beat mid-level teams. Missouri's season in 2007 was really remarkable, especially the amount of future NFL guys it had on it. This isn't the first time they've opened a season undefeated either. In 2006 they opened the season 6-0, 2010 7-0, 2007 and 2008 5-0. They opened up the first half of their season undefeated plenty of times in the Big 12 only to lose eventually.
Missouri I really believe is laughably overrated. They played an injury riddled Georgia team, and then Florida. What is funny is they could possibly end up going to the A&M game undefeated though. Get through South Carolina at home, then Tennessee at home, on the road to Ole Miss and Kentucky.
A&M has gotten fantastic offensive talent, but the defense is highly suspect. Mike Evans is a freakin balla baby.
If things go Missouri's way right now, they could end up facing Alabama in the SEC Championship game. Well, actually, it is highly likely they win the EAST unless they suffer a huge collapse.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:28 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,724
Reputation: 1921616
JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

These excuses can be made most years in any conference. That's the point. The SEC has had some power teams the past decade. One to three of them a season. Whereas some conferences have had a range of 0-2 power teams.

It's just the hyperbole is wearing thin on everyone outside of the SEC and ESPN/CBS and this is just some more evidence that pokes holes in the OMFGSEC.

As a side note, I'm disappointed in the SEC for having poor defenses outside of UF and Bama this season. I guess offenses have really gained the upper hand across the nation, and the new protection rules aren't doing any favors for defenders either.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:59 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cloud 9
Posts: 12,922
Reputation: 5878129
TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

A&M and Mizzou are SEC teams now. They fall into the "SEC teams beating other SEC teams" category. You all should know this. Hell, just putting the patches on the jerseys probably boosted their Dexterity +15.

SEC! SEC! SEC!
__________________
Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:09 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,856
Reputation: 659348
Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Yawn. The SEC will probably plow another team in the NC game and people will still be crying foul about how the SEC is overrated. It's bound to not happen eventually, but a lot of you are too young to even remember the last time a non-SEC team actually won a title, lol.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:28 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 2nd deck at Stanford Stadium
Posts: 7,462
Reputation: 1651430
niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I think the SEC is probably overrated, but it still is clearly the best. It's a large conference and pulls in great recruits. I think the 4 team playoff will be a great way to see top end teams play from all the major conferences.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:46 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dodge City
Posts: 7,187
Reputation: 1111665
FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

A&M's and Mizzou's recruiting right now is through the roof.

A&M is outrecruiting Texas and Oklahoma which never happens. Mizzou has more talent on their roster than most teams in the country.

IMO that has a LOT to do with conference affiliation.

Let's please stop making excuses for Mizzou's victories. Injuries are a part of the game and football is the ultimate team sport. If Colt McCoy hadn't gotten hurt in the NC game a few year's ago, maybe the Longhorns win that game against Alabama. So what? That's how it goes.

If the SEC continues shifting towards spread offenses and high scoring attacks, teams like Mizzou and the Aggies are going to be successful in the SEC for a long time.
__________________
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:47 AM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,476
Reputation: 392264
Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

This brings up a another point I find interesting which is this season the teams in the SEC are just beating up on each other, which they haven't done since around 2007. Before 2008, and all the SEC is the greatest conference ever talk, these teams would knock each other out of the national title race or barely sneak in at the last second.

For instance in 2005: Florida beats Tennessee, Tennessee beats LSU, but LSU goes on to beat Auburn and an undefeated Alabama, meanwhile UGA had lost to Florida and Auburn but went to the SEC title game where they would beat LSU.

I'm sorry if that's really confusing but this past weekend reminded me so much of the SEC from around 2005 when the teams would just beat up on each other.

And then the next year it kind of happens again, 2006: LSU loses to Auburn and Florida, but then Auburn loses to Arkansas, Auburn would however go on to beat undefeated Florida the next week, but Auburn would end up losing to Georgia later, LSU beats an SEC undefeated Arkansas in the final game of the season, and then Arkansas loses again in the SEC Championship to Florida. And out of this mess is a one loss Florida that only got into the national championship game because USC lost to UCLA and nobody wanted an OSU Michigan rematch.

2007: LSU is the frontrunner until they are tripped up by Kentucky, UGA loses to South Carolina early, then Tennessee loses to UF, but Tennessee goes on to beat UGA, however they next lose to Alabama. Meanwhile LSU is sitting pretty for a national title shot, but they lose the final game of the season to Arkansas. But they still go to the SEC title game where they beat Tennessee and go on to win the BCS Championship. At the same time UGA finishes with only two losses all season, less than Tennessee and as many as LSU, rout Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl, and go on to be preseason favorites in 2008.

In my opinion it isn't until 2008 that you see the SEC dominance claim really start to go into effect and become popular. It was the 2008 season where Alabama and Florida essentially dominated throughout the entire season, the exception being Florida losing early in the season and going on to beat their only SEC East challenger UGA, that I feel put the SEC on top for good.

The same thing happens in 2009. Undefeated Florida and Alabama beat anyone in their path and the rest of the SEC is pretty much irrelevant. It again happened in 2010 with Auburn. 2010 was interesting to me because outside of Auburn you have three teams vying for that second top spot in the SEC, LSU, Arkansas, and Alabama. Bama lost out due to losses at South Carolina, at LSU, and against eventual champion Auburn. However, Arkansas had lost to Bama and Auburn, but were able to beat LSU the last game of the season to go to a BCS Bowl. LSU would only lose to Auburn and Arkansas. It's the same three teams in 2011 that are vying for supremacy in the SEC, but this time's it's LSU who is beating everyone, including Bama. However Bama had beaten Arkansas and LSU would beat the Razorbacks too. Also in the picture was UGA, who only lost one conference game before losing to LSU in the SEC title game. 2012 it's Alabama who is the dominant team all season despite losing to Texas A&M at home. LSU is eliminated because they lose to UF and Alabama. UGA loses to South Carolina, but beats Florida so that they win the tiebreaker with them. Carolina loses to UF and LSU. Bama goes onto beat UGA in SEC title game.

So what am I saying here? What I think that I'm getting at is that the SEC the past few years, since 2008, has always had a dominant team that would at most have one loss, if it was a one loss team that team had to beat an undefeated team, and that team would be the team to make it out of the SEC to the championship game. Why did we see this in 2008? Well in 2008 is when you saw some of the programs fall off, thus you had less competitive teams to beat each other up. As a result there was only one or two really good teams too. For instance 2008 is Tennessee's first season without Fulmer, Auburn's final season with Tubberville, Bobby Petrino's first season in Arkansas. 2008 is also the time period where Bama and Florida emerge as the two top dogs in the conference. And you continue to see the trend continue into 2010 and 2011, Alabama would remain dominant for the most part, LSU too, and Auburn was for one season. That's period of time when Urban Meyer left Florida, Petrino's final season at Arkansas, Tennessee is unstable with Dooley, etc. So the reason I think we're seeing the SEC type of season that we're seeing is because we've reached a scenario similar to the one found pre-2008 where most the teams are good enough and stable enough to beat each other. The question is whether any of them are good enough to beat Bama this season.

Sorry for rambling, this sort of theory or idea has been in my head since all the SEC team's lost to each other this past weekend. Just had to get my thoughts down in writing.
__________________

Last edited by Jcn92 : 10-23-2013 at 01:54 AM.
Jcn92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:57 AM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,476
Reputation: 392264
Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Let's please stop making excuses for Mizzou's victories. Injuries are a part of the game and football is the ultimate team sport. If Colt McCoy hadn't gotten hurt in the NC game a few year's ago, maybe the Longhorns win that game against Alabama. So what? That's how it goes.
It's hard to play as a team when a solid portion of your starters are injured and you have to start inexperienced guys that shouldn't be playing or aren't ready to. I just don't find a Mizzou win at home against a UGA team with no starters at their skill positions impressive when you consider the circumstances. There's a difference between losing one player and half of your offense.
__________________
Jcn92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:13 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dodge City
Posts: 7,187
Reputation: 1111665
FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

If Mizzou was the team missing key starters and was blown out by UGA, would you still be saying that the Bulldogs's victory had an asterisk next to it??

This is only an argument people make when they believe an inferior team has beaten a superior football program.

BTW the SEC dominance meme is really about the conference bowl record, not just NCs.
That goes back farther than '08.
__________________
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:04 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,682
Reputation: 494318
MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I really do wonder what the SEC fanatics will say if it ends up with a losing record against the ACC.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:39 AM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 804
Posts: 7,693
Reputation: 263811
JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

If an ACC team doesn't win the national championship then I doubt too many fans will really care. I for one don't look down at any conference. So if it happens to play out that way I'll just laugh at all the SEC rivals that lose.
JRTPlaya21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:47 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,013
Reputation: 515423
SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
Yawn. The SEC will probably plow another team in the NC game and people will still be crying foul about how the SEC is overrated. It's bound to not happen eventually, but a lot of you are too young to even remember the last time a non-SEC team actually won a title, lol.
Alabama will probably plow another team - not any SEC team.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:00 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,724
Reputation: 1921616
JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Alabama will probably plow another team - not any SEC team.
KABOOM. The SEC mentality is a ******** one. You are either a Bama fan or an LSU fan or an Ole Miss fan, etc...
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:23 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,194
Reputation: 496749
YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
Yawn. The SEC will probably plow another team in the NC game and people will still be crying foul about how the SEC is overrated. It's bound to not happen eventually, but a lot of you are too young to even remember the last time a non-SEC team actually won a title, lol.
No Bama will plow another team in the NC. its not a conference-wide effort
__________________


YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:28 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cookeville,TN
Posts: 4,890
Reputation: 612105
Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Alabama will plow a team in the Title game and the SEC will again go something like 6-3 in Bowl games.
__________________
What?
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,856
Reputation: 659348
Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

If I had to root for a college team, it's the U. I just think it's funny how insecure everyone(Particularly the big 12 fans) are about the SEC being the best conference.

They'll prove it again this year.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Last edited by Saints-Tigers : 10-25-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:07 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,682
Reputation: 494318
MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Alabama will plow a team in the Title game and the SEC will again go something like 6-3 in Bowl games.
FSU and Oregon both have offenses that are better than Texas A&M with future 1st Rounders at QB. FSU and Oregon can both play considerably better defense than Texas A&M as well. Alabama may win but both FSU and Oregon are more than capable of beating them this year.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:13 AM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,288
Reputation: 305536
nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
If I had to root for a college team, it's the U. I just think it's funny how insecure everyone(Particularly the big 12 fans) are about the SEC being the best conference.

They'll prove it again this year.
I hope you're not referring to the, like, 5 big 12 fans on the board. Because we certainly are not!
__________________

Sig by Hitman D.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,693
Reputation: 68586
jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
This brings up a another point I find interesting which is this season the teams in the SEC are just beating up on each other, which they haven't done since around 2007. Before 2008, and all the SEC is the greatest conference ever talk, these teams would knock each other out of the national title race or barely sneak in at the last second.

For instance in 2005: Florida beats Tennessee, Tennessee beats LSU, but LSU goes on to beat Auburn and an undefeated Alabama, meanwhile UGA had lost to Florida and Auburn but went to the SEC title game where they would beat LSU.

I'm sorry if that's really confusing but this past weekend reminded me so much of the SEC from around 2005 when the teams would just beat up on each other.

And then the next year it kind of happens again, 2006: LSU loses to Auburn and Florida, but then Auburn loses to Arkansas, Auburn would however go on to beat undefeated Florida the next week, but Auburn would end up losing to Georgia later, LSU beats an SEC undefeated Arkansas in the final game of the season, and then Arkansas loses again in the SEC Championship to Florida. And out of this mess is a one loss Florida that only got into the national championship game because USC lost to UCLA and nobody wanted an OSU Michigan rematch.

2007: LSU is the frontrunner until they are tripped up by Kentucky, UGA loses to South Carolina early, then Tennessee loses to UF, but Tennessee goes on to beat UGA, however they next lose to Alabama. Meanwhile LSU is sitting pretty for a national title shot, but they lose the final game of the season to Arkansas. But they still go to the SEC title game where they beat Tennessee and go on to win the BCS Championship. At the same time UGA finishes with only two losses all season, less than Tennessee and as many as LSU, rout Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl, and go on to be preseason favorites in 2008.

In my opinion it isn't until 2008 that you see the SEC dominance claim really start to go into effect and become popular. It was the 2008 season where Alabama and Florida essentially dominated throughout the entire season, the exception being Florida losing early in the season and going on to beat their only SEC East challenger UGA, that I feel put the SEC on top for good.

The same thing happens in 2009. Undefeated Florida and Alabama beat anyone in their path and the rest of the SEC is pretty much irrelevant. It again happened in 2010 with Auburn. 2010 was interesting to me because outside of Auburn you have three teams vying for that second top spot in the SEC, LSU, Arkansas, and Alabama. Bama lost out due to losses at South Carolina, at LSU, and against eventual champion Auburn. However, Arkansas had lost to Bama and Auburn, but were able to beat LSU the last game of the season to go to a BCS Bowl. LSU would only lose to Auburn and Arkansas. It's the same three teams in 2011 that are vying for supremacy in the SEC, but this time's it's LSU who is beating everyone, including Bama. However Bama had beaten Arkansas and LSU would beat the Razorbacks too. Also in the picture was UGA, who only lost one conference game before losing to LSU in the SEC title game. 2012 it's Alabama who is the dominant team all season despite losing to Texas A&M at home. LSU is eliminated because they lose to UF and Alabama. UGA loses to South Carolina, but beats Florida so that they win the tiebreaker with them. Carolina loses to UF and LSU. Bama goes onto beat UGA in SEC title game.

So what am I saying here? What I think that I'm getting at is that the SEC the past few years, since 2008, has always had a dominant team that would at most have one loss, if it was a one loss team that team had to beat an undefeated team, and that team would be the team to make it out of the SEC to the championship game. Why did we see this in 2008? Well in 2008 is when you saw some of the programs fall off, thus you had less competitive teams to beat each other up. As a result there was only one or two really good teams too. For instance 2008 is Tennessee's first season without Fulmer, Auburn's final season with Tubberville, Bobby Petrino's first season in Arkansas. 2008 is also the time period where Bama and Florida emerge as the two top dogs in the conference. And you continue to see the trend continue into 2010 and 2011, Alabama would remain dominant for the most part, LSU too, and Auburn was for one season. That's period of time when Urban Meyer left Florida, Petrino's final season at Arkansas, Tennessee is unstable with Dooley, etc. So the reason I think we're seeing the SEC type of season that we're seeing is because we've reached a scenario similar to the one found pre-2008 where most the teams are good enough and stable enough to beat each other. The question is whether any of them are good enough to beat Bama this season.

Sorry for rambling, this sort of theory or idea has been in my head since all the SEC team's lost to each other this past weekend. Just had to get my thoughts down in writing.
You know, this is particularly true. You have once prideful teams, like Tennessee, starting to regress badly, and thus enabling more "easy" victories for the better SEC teams.
The Big 12 saw return to power of Oklahoma that helped strengthen the conference, and then Oklahoma State, Missouri, Baylor, etc have become highly competitive alongside OU, Texas, A&M, Nebraska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
If I had to root for a college team, it's the U. I just think it's funny how insecure everyone(Particularly the big 12 fans) are about the SEC being the best conference.

They'll prove it again this year.
I think the biggest thing Big 12 fans have is of SEC fans stating the offenses in the Big 12 are overrated, and how there was no defense in that conference. Na, couldn't be due to the offensive talent. We're seeing it now in the SEC, offensive talent taking over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
FSU and Oregon both have offenses that are better than Texas A&M with future 1st Rounders at QB. FSU and Oregon can both play considerably better defense than Texas A&M as well. Alabama may win but both FSU and Oregon are more than capable of beating them this year.
I do think Oregon and FSU could beat Alabama. I'm still hoping for a Baylor-Missouri title game just because, but man that would be fun to see Bama vs Oregon or FSU.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:37 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,856
Reputation: 659348
Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

On a more serious and less trolly note, I wouldn't count Jameis Winston out in any game. What a gamer
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:45 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Posts: 9,658
Reputation: 2246941
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Back-to-back fumbles for Clemson. Ruh roh.
__________________


Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.