Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:04 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It doesn't work like that. If you make $60K a year then you are going to live a lifestyle that costs $60K a year. If you make $1.5M a year then you are going to live a substantially increased lifestyle.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.
Seamus2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:14 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I know this is a little off topic but I cannot understand how NFL players end up broke when they're finished playing. Take Martin as an example. He was a second round pick after the rookie wage scale came in. He got approximately a $2m signing bonus and has made about $1m in his career.

So, for 2 years he made about $3m. To put that into perspective. If you worked in a $60k per year job, you would need to work for 50 years to make that. He should be set for life with that kind of money already and he only played for 2 years.
$1 Million house
$150k car
$150k jewelry/food/booze/drugs/parties
$Friends/Family?
$Taxes

You have to be pretty stupid (or maybe "not savvy" is a better way to frame it) but I can totally understand how a person can blow through a few million dollars. Plus these guys are in their early 20's, and most of them probably expect the gravy train to keep on running.

For every dumb player, though, there's another guy who's using his first signing bonus to buy a used car and pay for disability insurance.

Last edited by WCH : 10-31-2013 at 08:17 AM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:40 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus2602 View Post
It doesn't work like that. If you make $60K a year then you are going to live a lifestyle that costs $60K a year. If you make $1.5M a year then you are going to live a substantially increased lifestyle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
$1 Million house
$150k car
$150k jewelry/food/booze/drugs/parties
$Friends/Family?
$Taxes

You have to be pretty stupid (or maybe "not savvy" is a better way to frame it) but I can totally understand how a person can blow through a few million dollars. Plus these guys are in their early 20's, and most of them probably expect the gravy train to keep on running.

For every dumb player, though, there's another guy who's using his first signing bonus to buy a used car and pay for disability insurance.
But there is a difference as WCH says between dumb guys and smart guys. As an NFL player on average you will maybe earn $10m over a 12 year career. By living a high lifestyle for those years you are being dumb.

The end of your NFL career is an inevitability. The end of your working life isn't until you are around 70 and at that stage most people will have been in some sort of pension scheme and have their own savings.

If, as an NFL player you don't think, "what am I going to do when I am no longer earning millions for playing this game" then frankly you are an idiot

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:25 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I know this is a little off topic but I cannot understand how NFL players end up broke when they're finished playing. Take Martin as an example. He was a second round pick after the rookie wage scale came in. He got approximately a $2m signing bonus and has made about $1m in his career.

So, for 2 years he made about $3m. To put that into perspective. If you worked in a $60k per year job, you would need to work for 50 years to make that. He should be set for life with that kind of money already and he only played for 2 years.
Oh, where I live if you make 3 million dollars in one year, you effective combined (local, state, federal) marginal tax rate of over 50%. Granted that's not true everywhere, but just for federal, it's 39.6%. Plus an additional 2-3% to your agent and another $25000 (at last check, it may have gone back down) per year in NFLPA dues.

Now subtract out a million dollars for a house and how much do you have left?

I have difficulty understanding how guys like Antoine Walker or Mark Brunell can go bankrupt. But a guy who made 3 million dollars in 2 years? No, that's not that hard to envision in this day and age imo.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:51 AM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Umm, I'm sure this guy is a Stanford grad. He doesn't need to play football.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:53 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Oh, where I live if you make 3 million dollars in one year, you effective combined (local, state, federal) marginal tax rate of over 50%. Granted that's not true everywhere, but just for federal, it's 39.6%. Plus an additional 2-3% to your agent and another $25000 (at last check, it may have gone back down) per year in NFLPA dues.

Now subtract out a million dollars for a house and how much do you have left?

I have difficulty understanding how guys like Antoine Walker or Mark Brunell can go bankrupt. But a guy who made 3 million dollars in 2 years? No, that's not that hard to envision in this day and age imo.
That is a good point, however I still think it is not an unrealistic expectation to assume people who make this type of money can live on it.

For instance, $1m for a house which he could pay off in one go, ie no more mortgage payments. A car he can pay off at once. And, I believe the taxes in Florida are less than in other places, hence one of the reasons Revis wanted to be in Tampa.

So, say after everything Martin has paid out in taxes, house, car, agent, NFLPA etc, he should still have well over $500k.

If he put that in the bank and even got a job which paid $20k per year he should still be pretty well off.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:38 AM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
Well this is an extremely simplistic and entirely wrong point-of-view.
I absolutely agree it's simplistic, but I guess that's because I don't have any sympathy for this particular scenario and get a bit flustered when others do.

It's tough for me to relate when someone throws away this kind of chance (aka to play a game for a living for ungodly sums of money) for any reason at all: drugs, too many feels, being a murderer, etc.

If the guy has serious emotional problems then he should have a team to support him and it sounds like hes getting that, but you still need to show up. its still absurd to me that anyone could defend him walking out on the job because of a prank or someone called him rudy cool. Imagine if this guy had to work in a construction yard or in a high pressure office -- it's laughable to me.

Definitely just my personal POV though.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:59 AM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We make money because it allows us to live the life we want to live. If making that money makes you completely miserable, then clearly you're not living the life you want to live. There's many ways to love comfortably or happily without making millions. And I have a lot of respect for other people who make that call. Guys who want the millions n blow it cause they're lazy, criminals or whatever I have no sympathy for, but if playing the game makes you so miserable you walk off in the middle of lunch, well that's a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:02 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Per Glazer, Martin had an incident in the team cafeteria this week when teammates jokingly said they wouldn't sit at a table with him. Martin reportedly "flipped out, smashed a food tray on the ground, took off, and they haven’t seen him since."
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

sounds like my workplace
Rabscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:21 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chances are both sides have to shoulder some blame. It sounds like the atmosphere and cafeteria prank is equivalent to high school drama and Martin responded accordingly.

My guess is more along the lines of Martin being ostracized and this was the last straw. Basically, it was something akin to bullying and Martin walked.

Also, there's no way he's set for life. He was a second round pick last year and signed a 4/4 deal. 2M in signing bonus but that's likely not payed all up front. He may have made a gross in the 2M neighborhood last year and is not even halfway through his second season @ 600K which he may lose portions of due to his absence.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:29 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post

My guess is more along the lines of Martin being ostracized and this was the last straw. Basically, it was something akin to bullying and Martin walked.

This. There is no way that he reacted like this because of an isolated, harmless joke. There is more to this.

Last edited by yo123 : 10-31-2013 at 03:31 PM.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
The bold part is the part that makes them child-like. Adults (read: average citizens past college / past the age of 20) deal with these circumstances in a better fashion than the head-line grabbing NFL players do. The majority of NFL players don't act like this, and he shouldn't either. If he has a mental problem, that needs to be addressed and this behavior can be excused.
average people dont go from being broke college students to multi-millionare star athletes overnight at the age of 21. Sudden success is whats hard to handle, and average people dont have to handle that. So that comparison doesnt really work.

The majority of NFL players have it pretty well together, and thats why they remain professionals. Those who dont generally have short careers, even if they are talented. I dont know what Jonathan Martins deal is, but whatever it is he will need to figure it out and pull it together or he will have a short-lived career.
Eazy Picks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:36 AM    (permalink
crisco0710
Rookie

crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like we finally know what happened.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/j...ammates-103113
crisco0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:16 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I were an owner, GM, or coach, I'd have a zero-tolerance policy for hazing. We hear about this garbage every so often, when a team crosses the line, and everybody says something like "Oh, that's part of being a team. My High School football team did that sort of thing all the time." Good. Great. You were acting like a jackass when you were 17 because some 14 year old got bumped up to varsity. We expect 17 year old kids to act like jackasses.

When you're in your 20's and 30's and you have a contract with an NFL team, you're an adult and a professional. Act like it.

Last edited by WCH : 11-01-2013 at 11:46 AM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:34 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If I were an owner, GM, or coach, I'd have a zero-tolerance policy for hazing. We hear about this garbage every so often, when a team crosses the line, and everybody says something like "Oh, that's part of being a team. My High School football team did that sort of thing all the time." Good. Great. You were acting like a jackass when you were 17 and some 14 year old got bumped up to varsity. We expect 17 year old kids to act like jackasses.

When you're in your 20's and 30's and you have a contract with an NFL team, you're an adult and a professional. Act like it.
This, it's appalling how many people are just like "It's football, it's a different world". No it's harrassment, and it's opening the organization up for a lawsuit.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:59 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do think there is a difference from the rookie hazing stunts that we've all heard about and outright harassment which this appears to be. Also, this isn't rookie hazing as evidenced by the fact that Martin is no longer a ******* rookie. He was drafted in 2012. Most rookies know at some point they are going to be pranked/hazed and accept it as a right of passage, but for it to become repeated and carry over from season to season is bullying/harassment. Unfortunately, it is an impossible line to draw between the two so I agree that the only option would be to outlaw all hazing.
TimmG6376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
MidwestJimmy
Veteran

MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If they release him, the Steelers could use him, seeing how Ben is being sacked all over the place. The same goes for the Giants and Eli, to a lesser extent.
MidwestJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-NFLDC

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Martin posted on his private Facebook "Happy Halloween, don't believe everything you read."

Not sure if/what that points to but this whole situation sucks. I like Martin more than most other Phins fans I know.

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
um this guy has been AWOL from a job that pays him millions because he can't get along with his co-workers, he either has severe, drastically life altering mental issues or he's a baby. I can understand needing an emotional break or something but get real with this prank business.
you know nothing about social anxiety disorders so please don't act like you know what's wrong.
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:51 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom View Post
Martin posted on his private Facebook "Happy Halloween, don't believe everything you read."

Not sure if/what that points to but this whole situation sucks. I like Martin more than most other Phins fans I know.
The way the media has covered it is all based on an inside source (some player) saying it was a prank and Martin flipped out. It has been plastered everywhere as an emotional breakdown and the Dolphins organization has done nothing to dispel that notion. My guess is that he's saying he didn't have an emotional breakdown. He simply got fed up with the BS and left.

Martin, imo, is in a no-win spot with the way this story has gone. He walked away so he's somehow the bad guy and had a breakdown. If he had knocked a few heads around instead, then what would he be?

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:25 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If I were an owner, GM, or coach, I'd have a zero-tolerance policy for hazing. We hear about this garbage every so often, when a team crosses the line, and everybody says something like "Oh, that's part of being a team. My High School football team did that sort of thing all the time." Good. Great. You were acting like a jackass when you were 17 because some 14 year old got bumped up to varsity. We expect 17 year old kids to act like jackasses.

Well I'm sure anyone who saw the Dolphins Hard Knocks knows that Joe Philbin commands the respect of the room and won't put up with this behavior!

lmao
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:30 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
My guess is that he's saying he didn't have an emotional breakdown. He simply got fed up with the BS and left.

Martin, imo, is in a no-win spot with the way this story has gone. He walked away so he's somehow the bad guy and had a breakdown. If he had knocked a few heads around instead, then what would he be?
I don't know why, but this has always been my gut feeling, too. I mean, if a bunch of teammates are hazing a guy... and he throws his tray down and leaves... should anyone really expect them to say, "We were ostracizing our right tackle and making his life difficult on a daily basis, until one day, after we all refused to sit with him at lunch, he told us to **** ourselves and walked out of the cafeteria." ? No, they're going to say, "EVVVVVERYONE gets hazed, Martin just couldn't handlezzzzz it because he's a big emotional baby and needed to go see a therapist." *turns back to teammates and gives an "awwww-riiiiight" high-five.*
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:33 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like, why does Philbin even need to say he's been excused for a "non-football illness?" Every single person who reads that thinks, "mental problems." Just say he's left the team for personal reasons. They sound like they're covering their asses in anticipation of a lawsuit.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:37 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you have to designate it with the NFL that it's a non football related injury.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote