Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:55 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default gpngc's Week 12 Report

I watched a whole lotta football yesterday. Embarrassingly, I fell asleep in the 3rd quarter of Denver-New England. Truly pathetic.

Here are some of my thoughts:

Kendall Wright is the best slot receiver in the NFL, all things considered. He's been ridiculously consistent statistically and has the explosiveness to be a menace in the middle of the field. We know from Baylor he can get deep as well and the only thing he needs to master are the option, whip, and rollover out routes a la Wes Welker because he runs the most effective shallows, slants, and 5-and-in digs in the league. Good hands and good YAC.

He worked inside breaking routes all day against Oakland, hitting shallows, deep crosses, and digs for almost 100 yards. On the game-winning TD catch he ran an out with the X receiver clearing out the CB responsible for for deep quarter. The inside DB Tracy Porter didn't even break to the out - perhaps he carried a 3rd receiver down the seem if someone can correct me - but it may have been simply because he was squatting on Wright breaking inside. A Titans fan can correct this but I don't think he lines up outside at all anymore. Pretty cool stuff to see a player carve a role like he has in two years.

The reverse field end around/reverse that Tavon Austin scored on today is a very interesting new play. The Steelers have also used it with Antonio Brown (he passed though). It's a slick misdirection and takes advantage of an agility edge your WR has on the contain defender. Teams will probably start to copy it.

Arizona is legit, folks. They've won four straight (here comes the 'look who they played' argument as if beating teams you should isn't an accomplishment and a great way to get wins and build toward the playoffs) and in those games the artist formerly known as Carson Palmer is completing almost 70% of his passes with a 8:2 TD:INT ratio. Palmer and Bruce Arians took some time to figure out what works and they're in a rhythm right now. Instead of force-feeding the plodding Mendenhall, Arians has let it rip and is allowing Palmer to get involved early on all downs. Earlier in the year they tried to stay balanced to the detriment of Palmer who made mistakes because he was only given the opportunity to throw on obvious passing downs. He made mistakes trying to compensate for his lack of down-and-distance advantage opportunities. Palmer needs rhythm and confidence, and he can be a scary player when things click. Arians is spreading the wealth, involving the backs, TE, PP7, and Roberst in the slot to take some attention off the two stud outside WRs, and the results are a buzzing offensive unit despite a less talented offensive line. The Cards have a handful of weapons so if the line can protect a little and Palmer stays hot - watch out.

At home the defense is fantastic and if he didn't play for the consistently forgotten Cardinals, Tryann Matheiu would be getting way more deserved attention.

A Week 17 contest in Arizona against the Niners might end up as a battle for the 6th seed in the NFC. Who would have thought SF/ARI could be more important than SEA/SF this late into the year? An interesting angle for Cards fans regarding next week's huge NO/SEA MNF matchup. The Cards should be rooting for Seattle. Why? Because if Seattle wins there's a good chance they'll have homefield locked up by Week 16 - when they host the Cardinals. It would surely be nice for the Cards to be up against T-Jack for a half in that one.

Here's an observation that doesn't really fit with the whole 'Cards are legit' angle but something I noticed anyway. Despite the good numbers, make no mistake, Larry Fitzgerald has regressed athletically. He lacks the explosiveness he once had. He struggles to get separation down the field but is still one of the best at making catches while covered. It's something to monitor as he approaches the final act of a storied career. I could see him traded at some point in the future, and I'm not sure the team acquiring wouldn't be paying too much based on name.

REEEEEEEEEDACTED Cowboys would have won either way. Giants fans were right. They lost because they couldn't stop Cole Beasley on the play of the game, NOT because Coughlin managed the clock wrong.

Related, Tony Romo's unclutchness was on full display today. Pathetic how he let a kicker of all people bail him out. What a joke of a player. He has 0 chance to ever amount to anything because of this fatal flaw. He's just not a winner.

Pittsburgh at Baltimore on Thanksgiving night is an ELIMINATION game for all intense-looking dolphins. The loser all but kicked out of the playoff race while the winner will set themselves up nicely for a chance at the 6th seed. A good primetime game is something we can all be thankful for. Speaking of good primetime games...

Monday Night Football is one of the most crucial regular season games in NFL history. No two teams benefit from home cooking as much as New Orleans and Seattle. Whichever team gets the one seed would do way more to its Super Bowl chances than any single regular season game I can remember. Denver-KC is a big deal too, but both are definitely beatable at home. New Orleans' offense is borderline unstoppable at home and the 12th man in Seattle has helped Russell Wilson start his career 12-0 at the Clink. I'll probably spend all week analyzing the game from each perspective, but Vegas has given the Seahawks the edge. And while a NO win would be huge, there would still be about a 50/50 chance the Seahawks earn the top seed anyway. Remember, the Hawks are a game ahead and the Saints still have two games against the upstart Panthers, with a trip to St. Louis to take on the feisty Rams sandwiched between, and close out their season against an all-in Bucs team playing good football. The Seahawks will only have to make up one game in that scenario, could easily win out, and probably won't lose two of their last four - @SF (dominated twice since Kaep took over) @NYG (they're done), and home against STL and ARI.

Luck has not played well lately. It's not difficult to look at his surroundings for reasons why, but Luck has never been advertised as the type of QB who relies on players around him to make him great. It should work the other way around as it does for all great QBs. He's got to make his supporting cast better. It's not anywhere near time to panic, but getting blown away by the Rams and Cardinals exposes issues at WR, OL, and OC, but Luck himself has to be better too. He's a good player right now but he's not near the status we all know he can attain. It's not fair to put all the blame on him, but he does indeed deserve criticism. And yes, Pep Hamilton has absolutely hindered his progress by his insistence on establishing a simply-not-gonna-happen-with-that-personnel running game rather than allowing Luck be Luck and throw it downfield often like Arians did. But Luck doesn't want to make excuses, and I don't want to make them for him either.

The Bucs, right now, are playing damn good football, and regardless of Ws and Ls, if the Schiano/Glennon dynamic continues to compete each week they both deserve another year as the leaders of the team. Schiano is pulling out all the stops including fakes, punt blocks, gadget plays, and everything in between. It's injected life into his squad but that's not the main reason he'll save his job. His ability to motivate this group is. I believe that plenty of coaches can do the X's and O's and game/program management duties of a good NFL head coach. The separation between good and bad coaches is the ability to motivate the diva NFL athletes, especially when things aren't going well. Schiano clearly has that critical ability.

A few weeks ago I was ridiculed for suggesting that the Seahawks actually did play well at home in a 27-24 comeback OT victory against the then-0-7 Bucs. I watched the entire game from start to finish and it was a well played, and well coached game by each side - one of the best games of the year from an execution standpoint. Contested catches, terrific blocking, good, hard, running, few missed tackles, few blown assignments, few bad mistakes from either side - the Bucs did not strike me as a bad team at all. Turns out I was right because they aren't. Mike Glennon deserves a thread of his own but he's well on his way to becoming a deceivingly more mobile version of Joe Flacco. The kid is impressive. Tough, strong-armed, and always keeps his eyes downfield. It's sad to think of what could have been had Freeman not zapped the life out of the entire program through the early part of the year and offseason.

This wasn't my point, but it was a great one, so I'll give credit to the poster who said it when I find the original post - Should they continue to lose (and why wouldn't they), the Texans may line up J.J. Watt and Jadaveon Clowney on the same DL in 2014. That's truly scary. The Jags can't do anything right. Winning a game against the Texans feels great now, but they might be facing one of the scariest defensive fronts for in history for the next ten years because of it. And Barr + Watt would be just as frightening. Then Sumlin replaces Kubiak, selects Johnny Football at the top of the 2nd round, and the Texans are way more interesting than ever.

The Jets waited a week too late to make the switch to Matt Simms and it may have cost Rex Ryan his job. It cost them the playoffs most likely. And this might not be popular, but as someone who's watched the majority of this team's snaps for 20+ years, they actually miss Mark Sanchez and would have been better off with him as their QB. Remember, they put him in the fourth quarter of a PRESEASON game for no reason and he was lost for the season on an injury. Very stupid. And before I get to Geno, I will admit that the Jets coaches most likely truly believe Simms can't get the job done - if they did he'd already be playing. But based on his play in preseason and Geno-benched games (yes, there have been multiple), there's no way you can convince me he'd be much worse than a guy who has almost 25 turnovers.

I argued hard against Geno Smith a pro prospect prior to the draft because of some obvious red flags (the entire first round saw them too). I was impressed with some of his early season progress out of the college and hoped he'd prove me wrong. It might be technically too early to give up on a young QB especially with his arm and college stats, but to be frank, that's about where the positives end, and as we all know there is just so much more to playing QB in the NFL. There's no reason to continue to waste game time with him. Smith has so many issues at this point, it would take a magician to turn him into a worthwhile NFL QB. Staring down his downfield targets, making late reads, making bad decisions, holding the ball too long, bad footwork, inconsistent mechanics, and an unrivaled penchant for committing turnovers are only a few general problems. But none of those are even his fatal flaw - I've never liked his makeup. Nothing about what he does on the field strikes me as someone who would be able to lead men at the NFL level. The craziest part is that he has good size, good mobility, a great arm, and pretty good accuracy. He just absolutely sucks at everything else. I'm done with Geno Smith and the Jets will absolutely be in the market for a QB. What sucks is that they wasted a shot at the playoffs by trying to develop this QB. Which leads me to...

Teams that would take a QB in the first round if they liked one that was there at their spot:

Jaguars - Definitely
Jets - Definitely
Cardinals - Definitely
Texans - Definitely
Browns - Definitely
Vikings - Definitely
Raiders - Unless McGloin magic
Titans - There is some insane scenario in which Locker/Munchack get another shot but it's doubtful Locker would preclude them from adding a guy they really liked. His durability is a legitimate question. As is his play.
Rams - They'll probably stick with Bradford but you never know.

There are some very unlikely but possible scenarios in which teams like the Bengals are in the market for a QB, but it's not worth discussing unless things become very dark for Dalton or say, E.J. Manuel.

It's going to be a truly fun year to evaluate QBs. At first glance, I can't find a single QB in this class I'd feel confident taking high in the first round, despite the narrative we were force-fed following the mega class from 2012 and the complete dud class of 2013. Compared to 2013, ANY group of QBs would look great. But I see QUANTITY more than QUALITY. There might be over 10 guys to go in the first four rounds. But every single one of them has flaws and/or big questions to answer. It'll be a critical offseason for the teams listed above.

Last edited by gpngc : 11-25-2013 at 06:36 PM.
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:05 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Geno needs a lot of work, but I don't think Jets will give up on him after 1 season.

He really should have been holding a clipboard this year.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:11 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Geno needs a lot of work, but I don't think Jets will give up on him after 1 season.

I don't think they'll release him or anything, but they will do whatever they can to find a more capable starting quarterback. And if they like any QBs at any point in the draft, including the first round, they won't hesitate for a moment. And if it's the first round, Geno Smith's Jet career is ends right there.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I agree. They'll give him one more year just to not have their scouting system look too bad. For me I think he's in that Blaine Gabbert class as a QB.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:59 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get your point on the Giants at all. When did you want him to use the timeouts? Or are you suggesting he not use them at all and hope Dallas misses a longer FG?
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:35 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
I don't get your point on the Giants at all. When did you want him to use the timeouts? Or are you suggesting he not use them at all and hope Dallas misses a longer FG?
Because it's wrong. I think.

I just re-evaluated the scenarios and it's way, way wrong. Whoops.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:44 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Because it's wrong. I think.

I just re-evaluated the scenarios and it's way, way wrong. Whoops.
Ok. Coughlin has always been excellent with use of timeouts. He knows when to use them. It's really not that hard. Shocking how bad some coaches are.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:59 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Ok. Coughlin has always been excellent with use of timeouts. He knows when to use them. It's really not that hard. Shocking how bad some coaches are.
It's very difficult for Andy Reid.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:46 AM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

geno has a pretty terrible group of receivers and every one of them has been hurt on and off throughout the season. he's shown plenty of positives this year. theres been plenty of ugly too, but thats what happens when you put a rookie quarterback who still needs work into a situation like that. no way was the offense better with sanchez, maybe a little less turnovers, but the offense was lifeless. and also the defense and run game right now are not nearly as strong as they were when they were a playoff team. The Jets D has been good, but they used to force turnovers, dominate the trenches, use an effective power run game to wear teams out. thats was how they won with sanchez. Geno isn't getting the benefit of all of that. the jets were a 3-13 team on paper this year, they've already overachieved
Eazy Picks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:41 AM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One regular season game does erase a career of failure from romo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:15 PM    (permalink
Unbiased
Pro Bowler

Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You realize the Jags still have the #1 pick right now, right? try getting some facts before you say a bunch of horseshit. And Manziel isn't getting out of the first round. Start over with this thread.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:02 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf (Rosebud) View Post
One regular season game does erase a career of failure from romo.
Labeling Romo's career as one of failure is a ridiculous misrepresentation.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:09 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased View Post
You realize the Jags still have the #1 pick right now, right? try getting some facts before you say a bunch of horseshit. And Manziel isn't getting out of the first round. Start over with this thread.
Do you know what the word "may" means? I didn't present anything as fact. I pointed out a possibility. Even if the Jags had pick 1, the more losses for Houston, the higher they'll pick. Jags could take a QB at 1. Barr or Clowney to HOU thereafter. It's a possibility I found interesting. I don't actually blame the Jags for competing, but the result does mean a higher pick for HOU whether you like it or not.

As for JF, we'll see. It's entirely possible he lasts to pick 35ish.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:50 PM    (permalink
Thecollegedropout
Pro Bowler

Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

It is silly. People forget our targets cannot get any separation, our OLine is inconsistent at best on passing downs, and we often put him behind the 8 ball with 3rd and longs because of penalties and forced wildcat plays.

He holds onto the ball too long because he has no one to throw it to on 3rd and long besides a checkdown target for a few yards. The guy is playing scared because he has forced throws to make something happen that have resulted in bad plays and because his OLine can't let him breathe when he gets snaps.

That isn't to say Geno hasn't overcome this or that he has been good the times everything has clicked but he's in a really rough spot and a spot a lot of QBs would not succeed under, nevermind a rookie QB.
Thecollegedropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:35 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When was the last time any team picked a QB in the 1st round in back-to-back years?

I can't remember a single case.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:38 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecollegedropout View Post
It is silly. People forget our targets cannot get any separation, our OLine is inconsistent at best on passing downs, and we often put him behind the 8 ball with 3rd and longs because of penalties and forced wildcat plays.

He holds onto the ball too long because he has no one to throw it to on 3rd and long besides a checkdown target for a few yards. The guy is playing scared because he has forced throws to make something happen that have resulted in bad plays and because his OLine can't let him breathe when he gets snaps.

That isn't to say Geno hasn't overcome this or that he has been good the times everything has clicked but he's in a really rough spot and a spot a lot of QBs would not succeed under, nevermind a rookie QB.
No. He holds the ball too long because he doesn't know what he's looking at unless the coverage declares early and his first read is open. He's been doing this since WVU. He's consistently late IDing coverages and blitzes which makes him late to his second and third reads, which results in a bunch of picks, sacks, and incompletions.

The Jets OL isn't bad, you know that. They're averaging 4.2 ypc and are 8th in the league in rushing. Even while getting absolutely blown out in a couple of games. So he's got a better rushing attack than most QBs in the NFL.

You mention the wildcat. They run that because they have no faith in Smith. And it's surprisingly effective at times. This tells a lot.

You think the pass blocking is inconsistent, but the reality is that GENO puts the O LINE and the entire offense behind the 8 ball. Teams don't respect him and it gives them a huge advantage to do whatever they want to him. And why should they? He's a mistake waiting to happen, and as you just pointed out, visibly playing scared. That's the problem. His confidence is completely shot. And that's part of his makeup and one of the issues with him coming out. When things got bad, he sulked. He thrived in the easiest of situations with simple one-read, perfect pocket, brilliantly designed plays to his all-world WRs. Now he's actually in a competitive situation and he's bombing.

I have no problem with apologizing for young guys who are fighting the fight and the results aren't there. But there is absolutely nothing to like about his play right now. He's regressed from some nice flashes early in the year. But at the first hint of some adversity and he's now losing mentally even before physically. That's a huge red flag.

He strikes me as the type of QB who shines in practice with no live bullets, showing off his good arm, decent accuracy, and mobility in a pocket that isn't allowed to collapse at all. He can step up, calculate his reads, and spin it with no reprucssions. He had a million fumbles at WVU. Turnovers have turned out to be a real problem in real games - dating all the way back to preseason.

Like I said, I wouldn't release him. And in a sick way, given the QB landscape, I don't mind that they took him in the 2nd round. But he is what we thought he'd be - a very flawed QB that needs to learn how to play QB from scratch - mentally, physically, emotionally. That's fine and if you want to develop him, it's a longshot he'll become something better than a backup. But he doesn't deserve the keys to the car anymore, and the Jets will definitely look for a QB.

Quote:
When was the last time any team picked a QB in the 1st round in back-to-back years?

I can't remember a single case.
The Jets took Smith in the 2nd round last year. They also passed on him twice. At No. 9 and No. 13.

The only way the Jets don't draft a QB high is if they acquire one by trade or FA or they are absolutely stuck with Smith.

As I said, I completely understand giving young guys you have a lot invested in the benefit of the doubt. But he hasn't even been 2012 Brandon Weeden. He's been absolutely ATROCIOUS. And he's worse now than he was in the beginning of the year.

And my point here isn't to release him. My points are:

1) Geno Smith is not going to be a good NFL QB, so the Jets SHOULD move on.

2) The Jets will add a QB or two this offseason, maybe declare a competition, but absolutely won't go into 2014 with Smith as the guy, like the Bucs will with Mike Glennon. If they somehow do, it will be because the draft played out in such a way that Idzik just doesn't like any of the QBs available at all.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:58 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

L[i]KE WHAT you have to say on the Bucs. I really do think the slow start had a lot to do with Josh Freeman Saga. Apparently, Schiano didn't like him since he got here and wanted his guy. Benching/getting rid of Freeman and drafting his guy, Glennon, has bought himself another year, if they continue this play.

I really like how Glennon has progressed and he's making guys like Tim Wright, Underwood, Owusu and Page look a lot better than what they really are.

I do think the Bucs need to can Sheridan. He gets too fancy to points where Adrian Clayborn was running with a TE 15 yards down the field. Hopefully there is some DC candidates available to upgrade.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:10 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
L[i]KE WHAT you have to say on the Bucs. I really do think the slow start had a lot to do with Josh Freeman Saga. Apparently, Schiano didn't like him since he got here and wanted his guy. Benching/getting rid of Freeman and drafting his guy, Glennon, has bought himself another year, if they continue this play.

I really like how Glennon has progressed and he's making guys like Tim Wright, Underwood, Owusu and Page look a lot better than what they really are.

I do think the Bucs need to can Sheridan. He gets too fancy to points where Adrian Clayborn was running with a TE 15 yards down the field. Hopefully there is some DC candidates available to upgrade.
This is an interesting observation as it relates to the above Geno discussion...

As for the Bucs tough start - the NFL is funny that way. Winning momentum and a losing culture are absolutely real. The Bucs had a handicap at QB from an intangibles standpoint (and on the field), and lost some gut-wrenching close games early. They didn't even play that poorly on D. That affects the psyche of a team and bleeds into all phases. And as the offense starts to REALLY suck, as it did early, it affects the D in a really negative way. That's what happened.

For them to bounce back the way they have is a testament to everyone, specifically the coach and his ability to motivate his players during a lost season. And obviously Glennon.

And the defense is super talented. It's really a shame. Had they started the season with a real QB, David doesn't make the bonehead play on Smith, things are wayyyyyy different.

You can't deny the talent on that D. They were flying around against Seattle - it was really tough.

They have ALL-PRO caliber talents on all three levels of the defense in David, McCoy, Revis, and Barron. All they need is a big-time DE and for Banks to develop.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:49 PM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

watching the giants game i was quite certain the reason they lost is because they stopped blitzing when it was getting them pressure on romo in the 2nd half. the last drive they seemed to be playing a lot of soft underneath coverage as dallas walked down the field.

i'm not particularly good at picking these things up, but this is what i remember seeing
sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:00 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

This wasn't my point, but it was a great one, so I'll give credit to the poster who said it when I find the original post - Should they continue to lose (and why wouldn't they), the Texans may line up J.J. Watt and Jadaveon Clowney on the same DL in 2014. That's truly scary. The Jags can't do anything right. Winning a game against the Texans feels great now, but they might be facing one of the scariest defensive fronts for in history for the next ten years because of it. And Barr + Watt would be just as frightening. Then Sumlin replaces Kubiak, selects Johnny Football at the top of the 2nd round, and the Texans are way more interesting than ever.
I'm not sure if I'm the original, but I did discuss this just a while ago about how it's possible the Titans have to play against Clowney and Watt.

Good write-up though, well written and I think all the observations were well done.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:21 AM    (permalink
Thecollegedropout
Pro Bowler

Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No. He holds the ball too long because he doesn't know what he's looking at unless the coverage declares early and his first read is open. He's been doing this since WVU. He's consistently late IDing coverages and blitzes which makes him late to his second and third reads, which results in a bunch of picks, sacks, and incompletions.
I agree which is why he often takes the clock down but even then on the snap, the pass protection has been utter **** this year and his targets can't get open and the times he gets comfortable with his targets, they go down(Winslow with PEDs, Holmes hamstring injury, Kerley recent injury, Cumberland out for 1-2 games). He locks onto guys because he doesn't trust guys like Stephen Hill or Zach Sudfeld to run the correct route and guys like David Nelson and Hill can't get open which often leads to Geno scrambling around, either running for yards or getting sacked. He also gets put in so many 3rd and longs due to penalties and the wildcat being ineffective 4 out of 5 times and you play up to a defense doing so.

Quote:
The Jets OL isn't bad, you know that. They're averaging 4.2 ypc and are 8th in the league in rushing. Even while getting absolutely blown out in a couple of games. So he's got a better rushing attack than most QBs in the NFL.
It is overrated. It is good in creating holes, absolutely. But pass protection? Winters gets a pardon as most lineman stink in pass protection year 1 but the rest of the line(Not even getting into how bad Ducasse was when he started)? Colon has been ineffective in pass protection for a while now, Steeler fans were not kidding about this. Love his toughness, leadership and he's very good in creating holes but pass protection? Nah.

Howard has his good days and his lousy days, too inconsistent in a game. Mangold is more than solid but D'Brick has been such a disappointment this year(And last). I start to wonder if we need to move him to RT at this point, he can't be relied upon to cover Geno's blindside or any right handed starting QB. He gets beaten so fast with an explosive move by a pass rusher these days.

Quote:
You mention the wildcat. They run that because they have no faith in Smith. And it's surprisingly effective at times. This tells a lot.
They have ran this since 2008 when we had Brad Smith. Favre, Sanchez, Clemens, McElroy and now Smith.

It is because Rex loves it, which is one of the reasons he hired Sparano last year(And Lee this year, he wanted Lee last year but Lee opted for BUF). We have ran it every year, with Brad Smith from 08-10, Kerley in 2011, Tebow/Kerley in 2012 and Powell/Cribbs/Kerley in 2013.

It is effective when used in small doses but teams pick up on it and we pass it 1/5 of the time we do it. It gets overused by Rex/Marty(I put it more on Rex as the wildcat goes against what Marty likes to do)

Quote:
You think the pass blocking is inconsistent, but the reality is that GENO puts the O LINE and the entire offense behind the 8 ball. Teams don't respect him and it gives them a huge advantage to do whatever they want to him. And why should they? He's a mistake waiting to happen, and as you just pointed out, visibly playing scared. That's the problem. His confidence is completely shot. And that's part of his makeup and one of the issues with him coming out. When things got bad, he sulked. He thrived in the easiest of situations with simple one-read, perfect pocket, brilliantly designed plays to his all-world WRs. Now he's actually in a competitive situation and he's bombing.
Why should teams respect him if the team won't take the chains off of him? Nobody respects our offense in fact, we are lacking playmakers. We haven't had playmakers on this offense since 2010.

You can say that about all rookies though, not just Geno. Same can be said about guys like Eli, Dalton, Rivers, and Flacco to this day, when things go good they go real good, when they have a hitch during a game, it just avalanches to a bigger snowball down the road.

I just think it is silly to put all the blame on one player as to why the Jets won't make the playoffs and I think its worse to spend a high pick on a QB when we have so many more needs on this team. WR....S....TE....RT....CB.

Quote:
I have no problem with apologizing for young guys who are fighting the fight and the results aren't there. But there is absolutely nothing to like about his play right now. He's regressed from some nice flashes early in the year. But at the first hint of some adversity and he's now losing mentally even before physically. That's a huge red flag.
Geno's handled himself well, he never blamed teammates or fired back at anyone. Dude apologized and held himself accountable for his turnovers even. But he's lost on an island right now and we aren't helping him out. Not with the predictable playcalling, not with the shotty protection, not with our targets not getting open. Nothing.

Why is it that Geno looks similar to Sanchez? If it was one QB who bombed, you can start to say "Bad QB play" but when more than 1 person hasn't been succeeding, you then start to wonder if the nucleus surrounding ___ ______ might be the problem, and I think that's what it is.

Quote:
He strikes me as the type of QB who shines in practice with no live bullets, showing off his good arm, decent accuracy, and mobility in a pocket that isn't allowed to collapse at all. He can step up, calculate his reads, and spin it with no reprucssions. He had a million fumbles at WVU. Turnovers have turned out to be a real problem in real games - dating all the way back to preseason.
He's been careless on some of his fumbles but honestly....when you get whacked on your blindside, hardly any QBs hang onto that ball. Yesterday for instance, Stafford gets smacked on his blindside, fumble. Flynn gets hit on blindside, fumble. This is not unusual, QBs aren't suppose to be getting speared on their blindside and suppose to hold onto the ball. Defenders get taught and trained to aim for that ball first and foremost.

Quote:
Like I said, I wouldn't release him. And in a sick way, given the QB landscape, I don't mind that they took him in the 2nd round. But he is what we thought he'd be - a very flawed QB that needs to learn how to play QB from scratch - mentally, physically, emotionally. That's fine and if you want to develop him, it's a longshot he'll become something better than a backup. But he doesn't deserve the keys to the car anymore, and the Jets will definitely look for a QB.
He needs more than one year of assessment. I am for bringing in a veteran QB like a Luke McCown/Jason Campbell type. I am really. But I want to see Geno with some actual talent at the playmaking position before dubbing him a failure as a starting quarterback.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:28 AM    (permalink
Job Reborn
Pro Bowler

Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Remember when the Texans had a terrible offensive line, and then David Carr was replaced, and suddenly it was alright?
Job Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:36 AM    (permalink
Thecollegedropout
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Reborn View Post
Remember when the Texans had a terrible offensive line, and then David Carr was replaced, and suddenly it was alright?
It took a few years to get that righted, by that time the sacks totaled up to give David Carr happy feet.

Its why Miami needs to get that line fixed before the same happens to Tannehill.