Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 12-07-2013, 06:42 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default What's Wrong with Clowney?

The dude is a consensus top 2 pick right now in December. Last year his was considered one of best pro prospects regardless of position.

He flashes ability but I definitely don't see a dominant player when I watch him. His actual production is more about the impact he has for his defensive teammates instead of his individual dominance.

I understand every fan wanting a guy with his physical ability on your team, but who is Clowney really as a player?

Did he get too big?? Is @275# too heavy a playing weight for him??

Are his nagging injuries this year really that debilitating??

Sometimes I think Clowney is going to be the Percy Harvin of DEs, a guy with elite ability who's going to be limited throughout his career because of miscellaneous boo-boos.

But I don't see a guy who's going to be the next Demarcus Ware, Von Miller or Aldon Smith.

Maybe I'm wrong, but something smells about Clowney.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:16 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see dedication to the game. I feel he is a huge risk from a motivation standpoint. You need players that are hungry and want to be the best. I just don't see that from him.

The counter to that could be that he is trying not to hurt himself before going pro, but it still concerns me.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:55 AM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This doesn't help, from yesterday....

Quote:
Junior DE Jadeveon Clowney has "worn out his welcome" at South Carolina, according to Dan Pompei.
"It has been well documented that Clowney plays and practices only when he feels like it," Pompei writes. "Other red flags with Clowney, according to multiple front-office men, are his unusual family situation, his entourage, his inconsistent work ethic and the fact that he has worn out his welcome at South Carolina. Some suspect he is motivated strictly by money, and a big payday could leave him too satisfied." These are strong words, and we will likely hear a lot more about the monstrous defensive end throughout the draft process. This, however, is the first instance of Clowney's family and entourage being questioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:20 AM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With all the hype coming into this year this was bound to happen. The media loves tearing people down and everyone seems to be taking the bait.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:21 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
With all the hype coming into this year this was bound to happen. The media loves tearing people down and everyone seems to be taking the bait.
So why aren't they tearing down other prospects?
Old 12-07-2013, 08:41 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is ridiculous, the kid has totally destroyed running plays on a consistent basis. Just absolutely crushes the pocket. Sure he is not putting up sack numbers compared to last year, but he is not getting much help, Quarles is having a good year but Sutton is doing almost nothing on the outside side much less their defense in general has a weak linebacker group and the safeties are average.

In the NFL being with good plays is not an issue and in a one of one situation the guy is going to kill it.

Thinking down on him as a player is just stupid, he is playing good this season just not getting "sacks".

You take the Marcus Smith who is one of the leaders in the country in sacks...Does that mean he is a better player than Clowney just because of that? ********!

Now I do not know him personally or know who he hangs around with. All I can speak for is on the field and I have always been very impressive with his ability. Him as a man and a player, maybe he is a major a-hole but I cannot speak to that.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:44 AM    (permalink
DeadEagle
Rookie

DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Media like to chew on one bone for stretches, until they really wear it out. Especially ESPN.

Like the Brett Favre watch. Twice. A-Roid. Bonds. Lance. Tebow. And that's just what came to mind. Wall-to-wall coverage, 24 hours a day, so the next time you hear someone say the name, you'll wanna punch them square in the mouth.
DeadEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:57 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So the media is just out to get Clowney and is making up stuff about him? Yeah, not buying it.

I know sacks have conveniently become unimportant this year for Clowney, but I can't help but wonder why a guys goes from 8 sacks as a freshman to 13 as a sophomore to 3 as a junior. Is it because the media?
Old 12-07-2013, 09:28 AM    (permalink
fatso
Rookie

fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any of you guys know what's so unusual about his family situation?
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:36 AM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
I don't see dedication to the game. I feel he is a huge risk from a motivation standpoint. You need players that are hungry and want to be the best. I just don't see that from him.

The counter to that could be that he is trying not to hurt himself before going pro, but it still concerns me.
100% the latter. Hes only in college still because he has to be. He saw his teammate get his career potentially ruined by injuries when he was clearly ready, but not allowed, for the NFL. The NCAA is making a ton of money off of him and he is not able to see any of it but knows h's perfectly capable of earning it, but can't due to rules. I can't blame the guy for taKing it easy this year. Nothing left to prove.
rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:01 AM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone who is questioning Clowney's ability on the field needs to do themselves a favor and watch his tape from last year. The guy is absolutely a special player and has quickness and a burst at his size that I've literally never seen before. Anybody who thought that Taylor Lewan "handled" him in that bowl game is insane. He had Lewan on skates half the time and the other half he was running by him like he wasn't even there. I think it's fairly obvious that he's being very cautious this year and that's hurt his production. If you want to question his off the field stuff that's understandable but he is absolutely an elite level prospect on the field.
fredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:27 PM    (permalink
coach4fu
Rookie

coach4fu hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Two Reasons:

1. Clowney was the #1 guy coming into the year on most boards.
2. Why tear down others when they are still having fun with Clowney?

This happens every year, some prospect who was top rated guy is torn apart during the course of the year.
coach4fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:35 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let me be the first to say i hope he drops all the way down to ........
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:56 PM    (permalink
STsACE
Rookie

STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatso View Post
Any of you guys know what's so unusual about his family situation?
They are all midgets.......

Noone understands how he got so big.
STsACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:14 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdawg View Post
100% the latter. Hes only in college still because he has to be. He saw his teammate get his career potentially ruined by injuries when he was clearly ready, but not allowed, for the NFL. The NCAA is making a ton of money off of him and he is not able to see any of it but knows h's perfectly capable of earning it, but can't due to rules. I can't blame the guy for taKing it easy this year. Nothing left to prove.
This. I fully expect this is the case and I don't think it'll have any bearing on him in the NFL. Granted, I'd like it better if he went somewhere to help him be motivated but a lot of players need that not just him. People already knew exactly what they had in Clowney before the season, there was nothing he could do this year to move up or become a better prospect. Everything about him that made people excited last summer is still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:11 PM    (permalink
DeadEagle
Rookie

DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So the media is just out to get Clowney and is making up stuff about him? Yeah, not buying it.

I know sacks have conveniently become unimportant this year for Clowney, but I can't help but wonder why a guys goes from 8 sacks as a freshman to 13 as a sophomore to 3 as a junior. Is it because the media?

First you ask why.... but try to turn it into more. You really should write storylines for ESPN, or Disney. Your insinuation that he's somehow lost every ounce of ability suggest one of two things.... A - you're a dunce cap, or B - you haven't watched him on film. Personally, I think it's both..... but I'm left curious.

Clowney, I think is much more affected by nagging injuries than is truthfully being reported (false bravado by the TV nerds), and he's probably not as interested in derailing his prospects by doing something stupid at this point. And as far as money goes, his rookie deal won't be all that big. If I'm his agent, I tell him his real money is the second contract he signs, and make him understand that.
DeadEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:43 PM    (permalink
Lil Quip
Rookie

Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can see why he is not very motivated. On pure ability he is an once in a long while DE prospect. He has show enough flashes to warrant it. Granted showing a motor would cement this, but it would take a lot of motor to jump him number one overall with a QB needy team.

Also, he plays DE not a more 'premier' position. He could work extra hard and South Carolina probably still doesn't make the National Title game. And I imagine a lion share of football players put a lot more weight on a Super Bowl than a National Championship.

Add in the fact he might get some trophy for best d lineman, but no way no how is he sniffing a Heisman.

So he bides his time for this year and goes into the draft.
Lil Quip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:18 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only "more premier" position is quarterback.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:18 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think great players can turn it 'on' and 'off'.
They only know one way to play when the lights come on.

Maybe Clowney is protecting his longterm financial interests, but I do wonder where his head is at.

It bothers me to see a player on the field with his physical talent who only plays when he feels like it.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:53 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I read where he got stopped doing 110 in his Chrysler 300. At least sign your contract before you start doing stupid things.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

I can understand Clowney not wanting to get hurt, but there are more causes for concern than that. He's commented about how coaches use him to the media, questions about his work ethic, telling coaches out of the blue that he's going to sit out a game, etc. It reminds me a little of Albert Haynesworth. Haynesworth showed troubling signs and then went into the toilet after he got the huge contract he had been waiting on. I'm not saying JC will ever reach that level of dirt bag, but there are still causes for concern.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:58 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope he's the next Randy Moss and falls all the way to the Giants.

Omg, please let this happen.

I hope he shows up to the combine looking like Burfict.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:25 PM    (permalink
DcmRulz
Pro Bowler

DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Clowney is at the point where outside of crippling injury or a felony charge, he's not falling out of the top 5.

Though a lotulelei or bowers-esque injury might make him fall to 5.

Hackenberg vs Morris vs Browne!
Starting up the Keeton train again, it's that time of year!
DcmRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Lil Quip
Rookie

Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
The only "more premier" position is quarterback.
In regards to Heisman is what I meant. And to get a realistic shot he might have to moonlight as a TE or something.
Lil Quip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:51 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fall to the Lions a la Nick Fairley please.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote