Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

View Poll Results: Should we give up on Tarvaris?
Yes, Jackson isn't the answer and we should draft another QB 11 14.47%
No, give Jackson one more year at least. 56 73.68%
We should give up on Jackson but not go QB 1st round 0 0%
Other (Explain in reply) 9 11.84%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2007, 09:48 PM    (permalink
VikesRule
Rookie

VikesRule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Question Jackson... give up on him?

I know that alot of people are on opposite sides of this issue, but I really don't know why some want us to spend a first round pick on a QB. Are we ready to give up on Jackson already? Sure, he didn't play like Ben Roethlisberger in his rookie season, but he had nothing to work with. Would Brady Quinn have done any better? Will drafting Brady Quinn help us at all? Sure, Quinn played against good competiton, but right now our offense is one of the worst in the league in terms of talent level, and we desperately need a playmaker at receiver.

I've bashed Quinn before, but there's no doubt he has talent. Obviously he has better credentials on paper but if we pick him, we just wasted two second round picks last year. If we pickup Quinn, that means we are giving up on next year. I'm not an optimist but I think 8-8 is achieveable with another solid WR or two and a solid offensive lineman. Do we want to wait another whole year for Quinn to develop? I don't want to waste a season, even if we don't have high hopes, things can happen. Jackson could blossom into a playmaker with a rookie receiver, things can happen.

Obviously this is all just speculation, but I really don't think going QB in the first round is the best option.

By the way, I just went though a whole draft post without saying anything negative about Brady Quinn. :D
VikesRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:54 PM    (permalink
Yung Flippa
Veteran

Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think it is wat too early to give up on Tavaris. You guys only let him play what, like 3 or 4 games at the end of the season? I like his upside, but then again if someone like Brady Quinn falls to you, I would take it. If you do end up with Brady Quinn, you will have one good back-up in Tavaris, in case Quinn gets hurt or something.

Baltimore: 7-4
Yung Flippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:55 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No, he started 2 games, give the man a chance.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:58 PM    (permalink
VikesRule
Rookie

VikesRule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodachu View Post
No, he started 2 games, give the man a chance.
I knew you were wise.
VikesRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:00 PM    (permalink
bonzi
Rookie

bonzi hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I was hoping for Brand Quinn for awhile until i realized that would not be right. The guy only had 2 games, with little to no tools, we should use our draft picks and get him somthing to work with.
bonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:46 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I only give up on him if Brady Quinn is there at 7. I don't want to pass on a prospect like him.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:10 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He has only started in 2 NFL games, which is not enough to say how good he will become in the NFL. If he has a horrible season next year and we have receivers who can catch for him then give him a good challenge but not give up on him. He is Childress' QB and what happens happens. If Quinn gets picked by us then Maybe after 8 games put Quinn in but dont make him start right away.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:45 PM    (permalink
KWill93
Rookie

KWill93 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

No why give up on a guy that was a rookie and started 2 games.

Sig by Ctmagic24
KWill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:00 AM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No we shouldnt give up on T-Jack after his few games he played as a rookie... but if Brady Quinn is available we should take him, you dont look at this in the right way taking quinn isnt giving up on T-Jack or wasting 2 draft picks its not passing on a future franchise QB and i mean whats the worst case scenario there?

say T-Jack blossoms this year and does great than we have a good Backup QB that every team in the league would be drooling over kinda like schaub but much much better of a prospect we could get a lot for quinn in a trade but thats only if T-jack blossoms...

Now lets say T-jack falls on his face this year and next year than we dont have to go searching for another qb we can just put quinn in and im not a huge quinn fan but i would much rather have quinn than some of the other QB's that will be coming in the next years
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:01 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sign Drew Bledsoe.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:25 AM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Sign Drew Bledsoe.
Please do not even joke with that. He is a Statue who can throw.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:30 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OHhhkay this is what you do Jackson thinks currently he is on the safe seat is seems that way because you think Boligner is going to make a threat to jackson so you draft another QB brady Quinn if he falls to you in the first if not wait for some gun slinger to come along but mostly Quinn. Then Jackson will have a fire lit under his a1ss knowing that he has actuall competion. Quinn played against the big dogs, Jackson didnt in college. So Quinns like yo i can take Jackson so he has a fire lit under his as12s as well so either way one of them win.

Now that they won the starting job, they always make sure they are prefroming there best becuase look out behind your sholder someones waiting to take that job.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:18 PM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that you should change your name to "Borat" because that post was not written in english.

Draft quinn if he's there at 7, because his potential is greater than jackson's. If not, then we roll with jackson and see how great of a "qb developer" Childress is.

Either way, the qb play will stink until we get some offensive help in here (OL, WR, coordinator?). It's not the end of the world.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:51 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
I think that you should change your name to "Borat" because that post was not written in english.

Draft quinn if he's there at 7, because his potential is greater than jackson's. If not, then we roll with jackson and see how great of a "qb developer" Childress is.

Either way, the qb play will stink until we get some offensive help in here (OL, WR, coordinator?). It's not the end of the world.
QFT.

The whole idea behind taking Quinn is taking elite talent. I'm not sure
if kids today just don't understand how to comprehend what it is they read or if it's some sort of mental block that prevents them from understanding (at all) what they read.
T.Jackson might/might not be the answer, I think it'd be pretty stupid to
throw a guy under the bus after 2.5 games.....however, to not have any better plan for the team than "we'll see, so I guess we can pass on premium talent" is an even worse take to have.

Worst case / Best case scenario.
Best case...you have 2 QB's for 3 years who both could take your team to the next level.
Worst case..you've taken 2 young QB's and given them
(1 elite prospect, 1 elite project) and your team a chance to be successful.

I'm not sure how much simpler this could be explained.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:47 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Take Quinn if he is there, its not giving up on Jackson, even his biggest fan couldnt say he is any better than a 3 year project. Best case is that TJ is a very good starter in a few years, but why smash his confidence, which didnt seem that great anyway, when you can have a guy like Quinn.

It's not giving up, but you dont stick with Chester Taylor if you can have LT. Its the same situation, Quinn has a higher floor and a higher ceiling, its really an obvious pick. Not taking him because you have a guy with a chance to be good is just stupid management.

Thats like not taking a Ferrari because you have a Porshce that needs a lot of work and the Porsche might end up looking as nice if everything goes to plan.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:59 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mark my words, If we go into the season with current QBs. The Vikings will maybe win 6 games this season.

Childress is to much of an arrogent dumbass to admit he is wrong about anything and that he may have made a bad draft choice.
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:01 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: I feel like a, like a slice o' butter,melting on top of a big-ol pile of flapjacks...yeah
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think u guys should draft Quinn if he is still there and have him and Jackson split starts.
________
Cholesterol Forums

Last edited by OSUGiants17 : 05-10-2011 at 08:42 PM.
OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:02 PM    (permalink
T-Money

i'd give him one more season and if he sux it up bench him
Old 04-07-2007, 07:12 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Money View Post
i'd give him one more season and if he sux it up bench him
Bench him for WHO ????
Do you get what I'm saying now ? You can't just say ...let's pass on a premium QB talent (this isn't even arguable anymore) for a MAYBE at WR (Ginn / Jarrett) or for a safety when 5 are currently under contract and capable.

To pass on a premium talent is stupid.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:28 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
To pass on a premium talent is stupid.
Booya! Spot on. It's not that Jackson is bad, or even a bust. It's that Quinn is that much better that even if Quinn were to flop and Jackson to turn out well, it would be a good pick, we just become a team with a very good backup who puts more pressure on the starter.

You are better off getting the QB of the future and then adding his parts, sure JDB and Brohm look good next year, but they dont look any better than Quinn and if the QB thing is solved(Jackson and Quinn together should solve the QB problems) we can target other needs next year, like getting the OL sorted in what figures to be a very good OT class. Or we can reach for a WR that is no more talented than someone we can get in the 2nd and then have to pass on an elite OL talent to draft Brohm. Doesnt make sense to me.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.

I dont see where the argument is. Did Mark Brunell ****** Favres career? Hasslebeck? Kurt Warner? Aaron Brooks? Steve Young ****** Montanas? How about phillip Rivers and drew Beis? Brady and Bledsoe? This is a stupid flipping argument. You bring in the best competion at every position you can let the players decide whos best. If the vikings go into the season with bollinger and jackson as the only two qqbs after all the oppoutunities theyve had to improve then Childress Speilman both need to go period. we invested alot of money in the offensive line now its time to put a man behind them who can win games and if a little competition scares him hes not the right man in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!
Kid_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:43 PM    (permalink
the_legend_killer
Pro Bowler

the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Give up on him? A guy with 2 career starts at the end of a season?
the_legend_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:16 AM    (permalink
secondeye

Personally it doesn't make sense to me why some people even thoughtfully entertain the idea of giving up on Jackson. This isn't a 4th round pick, or Gina Toretta type guy that you give up on.

We traded up, we let him start 2 games, and he actually didn't look too bad in moments. He looked like a rookie. good arm, good mobility, made a few rookie mistakes.

It's pretty idiotic. It's either an engrained racism against black QBs (and I do hate to go there) or people are just continuing an unfortunate trend of a low football-IQ in MN, both of which may have been used in the past to run Daunte Culpepper and Randall Cunningham out of town.

Maybe that's not what people want to hear, and it will probably be quickly dismissed as stupid, but I'm at a loss for what else it could be.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:21 AM    (permalink
secondeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
QFT.

The whole idea behind taking Quinn is taking elite talent. I'm not sure
if kids today just don't understand how to comprehend what it is they read or if it's some sort of mental block that prevents them from understanding (at all) what they read.
T.Jackson might/might not be the answer, I think it'd be pretty stupid to
throw a guy under the bus after 2.5 games.....however, to not have any better plan for the team than "we'll see, so I guess we can pass on premium talent" is an even worse take to have.

Worst case / Best case scenario.
Best case...you have 2 QB's for 3 years who both could take your team to the next level.
Worst case..you've taken 2 young QB's and given them
(1 elite prospect, 1 elite project) and your team a chance to be successful.

I'm not sure how much simpler this could be explained.
You say that as an obvious Brady Quinn fan. What if Drew Stanton shoots up the draft boards and we take him. How would you feel about that?

It isn't as simple or optimistic as you make it sound. The best case scenario is that you have two great QBs and can trade one off to get a high draft pick, higher than the one used on Jackson, if he is the one to go.

The worst case scenario is you have two high round busts.

The most likely scenario is that you have 1 or 2 decent QBs, and you wasted a shot at a premiere RB, DE, DT, or DB.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:24 AM    (permalink
secondeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
Booya! Spot on. It's not that Jackson is bad, or even a bust. It's that Quinn is that much better that even if Quinn were to flop and Jackson to turn out well, it would be a good pick, we just become a team with a very good backup who puts more pressure on the starter.

You are better off getting the QB of the future and then adding his parts, sure JDB and Brohm look good next year, but they dont look any better than Quinn and if the QB thing is solved(Jackson and Quinn together should solve the QB problems) we can target other needs next year, like getting the OL sorted in what figures to be a very good OT class. Or we can reach for a WR that is no more talented than someone we can get in the 2nd and then have to pass on an elite OL talent to draft Brohm. Doesnt make sense to me.
You guys are saying all this on the faith that Brady Quinn is infinitely better than Tarvaris Jackson. How do you know that Jackson isn't better?

If Detroit can pass up on Calvin Johnson based on the fact that they have Mike Furrey and Roy Williams, I think we can pass on Quinn if we have Jackson and Bollinger.

You don't pass on premium talent? BINGO. That's why you keep the guy you THINK is the man, and why you sold him to the media when you took him much higher than expected, and then you go get PREMIUM TALENT at DL, DB, or RB.