Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

View Poll Results: Should we give up on Tarvaris?
Yes, Jackson isn't the answer and we should draft another QB 11 14.47%
No, give Jackson one more year at least. 56 73.68%
We should give up on Jackson but not go QB 1st round 0 0%
Other (Explain in reply) 9 11.84%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2007, 11:43 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondeye View Post
You say that as an obvious Brady Quinn fan. What if Drew Stanton shoots up the draft boards and we take him. How would you feel about that?

It isn't as simple or optimistic as you make it sound. The best case scenario is that you have two great QBs and can trade one off to get a high draft pick, higher than the one used on Jackson, if he is the one to go.

The worst case scenario is you have two high round busts.

The most likely scenario is that you have 1 or 2 decent QBs, and you wasted a shot at a premiere RB, DE, DT, or DB.
This is the stupidist thing I've read yet. You obviously don't take your own
advice when it comes to taking elite talent..or perhaps your hard on for Jackson is draining to much blood from the head on your shoulders.
Stanton isn't an elite talent. Jackson wasn't an elite talent.
Brady Quinn is. Get over it.

Last edited by Severe Punishment : 04-13-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:18 AM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.

If Jackson is the man we believe wouldnt bringing in quinn make more sense? then wed make a weakness aa strong point? Lets see once again.
Montana-Young Super Bowl
Favre-Brunell-Detmer-Warner-Hasselbeck-Brooks- Super Bowl
Bledsoe-Brady Super Bowl
Breis-Rivers More then likely at some point in hte next five years will be going

So you make a weakness your strength. What area does this team more help at? What Nfl team has went to a superbowl with out quality Qb play and won?
He doesnt have to be elite but he does have to be quality a second year player and a career journeyman do not represent quality.

Dl and wide out can both be addressed later. You have a shot to take a quality player you select either AD BQ with out a freaking doubt. both would improve our team Both would make help patch this sinking titanic of a off season. I still cant believe with all the qb's that have been available we havent made a freaking move yet. Its amazing!!!!!!!!! Childress andspeilman have left this organization no choice but to draft a qb in the first round.
Kid_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:48 AM    (permalink
tylere0814

Yeah the front office has been a joke lately... But draft Quinn would be a good idea, but so would drafting Adrian Petersen. We need playmakers more than anything else. And Brady Quinn is a playmaker, he makes plays... he gets the ball where it needs to be. AD would compliment Taylor so well that we could run the ball 35-40 times a game.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:26 PM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At this point, I cannot say that it would be a bad idea at all to draft Brady Quinn. Granted it almost assuredly won't happen, but if the opportunity presents itself we have to jump. I mean, out of all the positions on the football field, which is the hardest to acquire? Also, what's the one position in which it is virtually impossible to acquire someone of elite caliber? That's right it's at quarterback. Seriously, how many good QBs do you see on the free agency market (Brees is really the only exception that I can think of and he had the big injury question)? I have finally come to the realization that you do not pass on a player who is the elite kind of prospect that Quinn is, all because you have a late second rounder from last year. If Jackson really does have the kind of potential that some people believe he has, he will be successful regardless and if nothing else give us options in the future. It's really not giving up on him as much as it is giving our francise a better chance to succeed. Players at other positions can be obtained through trades and free agency, but the elite kind of talent that Quinn is only comes via the draft.

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:29 AM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Perfectly said. Your not giving up on anyone. competition creates champions.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:06 AM    (permalink
VikesRule
Rookie

VikesRule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
This is the stuidist thing I've read yet. You obviously don't take your own
advice when it comes to taking elite talent..or perhaps your hard on for Jackson is draining to much blood from the head on your shoulders.
Stanton isn't an elite talent. Jackson wasn't an elite talent.
Brady Quinn is. Get over it.
How do you already know that Quinn is an elite talent? Because most NFL Draft websites have him as the #2 or #1 QB? Alot of people thought Ryan Leaf would be good. Look at how that turned out. Quinn isn't guarenteed to be a star, nobody is, with the exception of Calvin Johnson. Alot of people want to take Quinn to "push" Jackson or whatever, but Quinn won't do anything next year if we draft him, especially with nobody at receiver. Then, if Quinn flops, we'll have wasted a first rounder on him and still be in the same situation. There are plenty of good QB prospects that come out every year, I'd much rather see what Jackson can do with a year under his belt than hoping that Quinn is the real deal and that he can perform great with nobody around him.

Bottom line for me is that young QBs are almost always successful if you surround them with talent. Maybe Tom Brady can do it without anyone but most other QBs take time and talent around them. If we draft Quinn, as many suggest we do, we are only taking a step backwards for this year. I'd rather not do that, instead, if there isn't anyone we like at pick 7, trade down if we can, and if we can't take the best player available. I'm hoping the Quinn to Cleveland rumors are true so that we won't have to think about taking him.
VikesRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikesRule View Post
How do you already know that Quinn is an elite talent? Because most NFL Draft websites have him as the #2 or #1 QB?
that was almost 10 years ago. Before the web, numerous T.V. sports only outlets and scouting departments going from 3 guys to hundreds. The scouting aspect was recognized (in the late 90's) as a definitive way to keep talent on your team as a constant. This had to do with Free Agency being more prevelant and Jimmy Johnson masterminding the Cowboys of the 90's , who were so good and so deep that when they won their first title, the 3rd string was better , talent wise, than 1/2 of the league. Jimmy Johnson will eventually go down as 1 of the best coaches of his era and perhaps more. The man was a genius.

Anyways, players are put under more scrutiny than ever, and teams don't like taking gambles , especially in the top 10. When you gamble and lose (Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Troy Williamson, Charles Rogers, Mike Williams) your team almost always picks top 10 again the next year.

Brady Quinn has ALL THE TOOLS PLUS the intangibles that 99% of Qb's don't have, not to mention the 2 year "head start" on being prepared for the NFL (just listen to some of the Qb's and listen to their words about how important it is to learn how to get to practice, live within the time frames and schedules, not to mention handling the pressure and the media) Brady Quinn is as prepared for the NFL (when it comes to everything outside gamedays) as Leinart was last year....probably as much with a better understanding of the week leading up to the games. because of Weis. PLUS he has a big time arm, good footwork, ability to recognize coverage, pressence in the pocket...scrambling ability...ect , ect.. it's not as much my personal opinion as it is, remarks and reports from scouts. Honestly I don't think he'll be the 2nd QB taken. I think if Oakland does in fact go with CJ. Quinn will end up being higher on more
draft boards than Russell.

Quote:
Alot of people thought Ryan Leaf would be good. Look at how that turned out. Quinn isn't guarenteed to be a star, nobody is, with the exception of Calvin Johnson.
It's called hypcrisy...look it up.
www.webster.com

Quote:
Alot of people want to take Quinn to "push" Jackson or whatever, but Quinn won't do anything next year if we draft him, especially with nobody at receiver.
You have to be under 20. The point of competiton
is a part of a good buisness plan where competition results in higher
production. Jackson is a raw project at best. Now he may or may not
be good enough 1 day to take the helm...but the Vikings are the ONLY team under the dillusion that "some day" is now. Throwing him under center last year was a mistake and now we're left with 0 Qb's on the roster worth jack squat. Jackson is to big a question mark. Quinn would
come in better prepared, with better skills, better everything...it's not even debateable.

Quote:
Then, if Quinn flops, we'll have wasted a first rounder on him and still be in the same situation.
Good ...let's not draft a Qb because we have a "what if" , just silly. Your crush on substandard talent
is nausiating.

Quote:
There are plenty of good QB prospects that come out every year,
And Jackson wasn't 1 of them. Neither was Bollinger and Drew Henson should've stuck it out in baseball. The Vikings DO NOT HAVE ELITE TALENT AT QB...Quinn is an elite talent.
This notion that "plenty of Qb prospects come out every year" might sound in theory to be right, but it's not. This year Quinn is really the only NFL ready Qb, last year there were 2. The Titans lucked out with Young and the year before ...and before...show that QB's DON'T come along every year. If your team has a shot at grabing an elite 1 that all 32 teams see as a "can't miss" you take him. I don't care if we had Joe Montana starting in his heyday, you take Steve Young...err Daunte Cullpepper, err Brady Quinn.

Quote:
I'd much rather see what Jackson can do with a year under his belt than hoping that Quinn is the real deal and that he can perform great with nobody around him.
You're in the minority I believe. Most Viking fans want the team to win and win now. If we go into the season with Jackson , Bollinger and Henson as the 3 Qb's you're going to see the Vikings sell out streak come to an end..and fans clamoring to mock draft boards around week 10 as the season (as far as the Vikings are concerned) will be over with.

Quote:
Bottom line for me is that young QBs are almost always successful if you surround them with talent. Maybe Tom Brady can do it without anyone but most other QBs take time and talent around them. If we draft Quinn, as many suggest we do, we are only taking a step backwards for this year.
Other moves can be made, we still have 6 other draft picks to acquire talent. If we land Quinn...why not save the cliff jumping act for this time next year. At least we'd have direction. Right now we have very little.

Quote:
I'd rather not do that, instead, if there isn't anyone we like at pick 7, trade down if we can, and if we can't take the best player available. I'm hoping the Quinn to Cleveland rumors are true so that we won't have to think about taking him.
And I'm praying that Quinn doesn't end up in Detroit ....because those 2 wins every year quickly become loses. for the last 2 years. The Vikings have quickly sunk to the bottom of the division as far as overall talent is concerned.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:57 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Bench him for WHO ????
Do you get what I'm saying now ? You can't just say ...let's pass on a premium QB talent (this isn't even arguable anymore) for a MAYBE at WR (Ginn / Jarrett) or for a safety when 5 are currently under contract and capable.

To pass on a premium talent is stupid.
If that was the case, then you guys wouldn't pass up on Adrian Peterson would you? LaRon Landry? To pass up on premium talent is stupid.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:59 PM    (permalink
Phrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
If that was the case, then you guys wouldn't pass up on Adrian Peterson would you? LaRon Landry? To pass up on premium talent is stupid.
YOU should have gave up on Samardzija earlier. LOL
Old 04-14-2007, 02:02 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
YOU should have gave up on Samardzija earlier. LOL
He's still makin millions in the major leagues. =)
Old 04-14-2007, 02:05 PM    (permalink
russie
Veteran

russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

it's just a shame he's playing for the cubs
Old 04-14-2007, 05:44 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
To keep within the content of the question, you take Quinn.
Would I be horribly upset if we took AD or Landry ? No, but it'd be the franchises WORST mistake if Quinn was available and they took someone else. (yes, worse than the H.Walker deal)
Old 04-14-2007, 08:49 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

swagger hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quinn was available and they took someone else. (yes, worse than the H.Walker deal)
Wow. You should really work on not letting your man love and sexual admiration of Brady Quinn get in the way of plausible thought.

And now, I'm not just being a prick and picking a fight. You are the one who used these adjectives to describe Quinn:

Quote:
good looking and WHITE
Quote:
rich , handsome
The moral if the story is that you're biased, and nobody should really care what you say, or put any serious thought into the text that flies out of your IP. You are literally the only person who I've encountered on a msg board who has brought up physical attractiveness to support a player/prospect. Congratulations!

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:52 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

You obsess over me alot on here.
Way to take a bunch of quips out of context to make a funny.
You should feel very proud (sarcasm)...and the fact is, you hate Quinn
because of all those attributes.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:53 PM    (permalink
the Laos
Rookie

the Laos hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

You are literally the only person who I've encountered on a msg board who has brought up physical attractiveness to support a player/prospect. Congratulations!

hahahaha game, set, match.

Last edited by the Laos : 04-14-2007 at 08:55 PM.
the Laos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:56 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

20 posts...either a troll, or you've stooped to a new low of creating other I.D.'s to "get me"...sad, just sad.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:07 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

Quote:
you hate Quinn because of all those attributes.
Wrong. I don't like him for other (more legitimate) reasons, though. But if you are in love with him because you find him attractive, hey, more power to you. This is 2007, after all- it's almost a normalcy.

Quote:
20 posts...either a troll, or you've stooped to a new low of creating other I.D.'s to "get me"...sad, just sad.
Wrong again. That ain't me.

Good work keeping with your trend of wrongness.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
Old 04-14-2007, 09:11 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

you have the mindset of a 5th grader who thinks this is a school yard.
I pity you.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:26 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

Quote:
you have the mindset of a 5th grader who thinks this is a school yard.
I pity you.
Yep, because saying things like...

Quote:
It's starting to sound like the "Childress effect" is trickling down to the idiot fans.
...is sooooo unlike a 5th grader in a school yard, eh?

I pity you.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
Old 04-14-2007, 09:30 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Your every post is about me or what I say, you have a case of ENVY not pity, shame you don't know the difference.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:35 PM    (permalink
the Laos
Rookie

the Laos hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
nearly a 1000 posts in a span of 2 months? quite a resume you're building. it wouldn't hurt to get outside though, just a thought.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:37 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

Quote:
Your every post is about me or what I say, you have a case of ENVY not pity, shame you don't know the difference.
You are a riot. Seriously, you're living in your own little world. Envy of what??? Please offer a legit answer.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
Old 04-14-2007, 09:38 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

Why in the world would you get rid of Tarvaris Jackson? This guy has all the tools, he just needs some time to improve. If you're gonna take Quinn, keeping Jackson probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:38 AM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

m not sure anyone said give up on him as much as we are saying have a back up plan and bring in competition. I dont understand how any one would wnat or expect less. This Offense is horrible I dont see anyone on this entire Offense who irriplaceable.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:49 AM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

the Bottom line is this I dont give a **** what color he is or even how fast or how high he can jump. Our defense has several older veterens Williams sharper winfield Lets not waste these guys glory years rebuidling in a maybe?
Even taylor isnt exactly you nor is hutchinson birk or mckinnie those guys make up the core of this team we dont need a hope and a dream we need solid production and we wont get that by not creating a competitive atmosphere on offense. and both quinn and peterson represent that. Give us laundry or a de or dt look at our schedule and honestly tell me how do we win ten games?
Any one is is comfortable with the playeers we have on this offese is truely optimisitc I honestly dont see 5 wins with this lineup!!!!!!