Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 01-17-2014, 11:20 PM    (permalink
BuddyCHRIST
Veteran

BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn98 View Post
You seriously underrate the 2011 Alabama team. They weren't flashy like Miami or USC, but that defense was the best of the BCS era.
Yea but they lost a game. I knock teams down who lost a game significantly. Its very hard to go undefeated so I put special weight on it. Not to mention, their loss was at home...and the only team they played in the NC game was an SEC team they already played. As far as I'm concerned they split the series with LSU...so just because we placed arbitrary importance on the MNC game then Alabama is the champion? Also, while not their fault...I penalize them for playing a team from their conference in the championship game. Doesn't allow you to really compare yourself to teams across the country and across time who played OOC games.

Now, take that team and put them on a neutral field against the other champions...I'm not necessarily betting on every team I have above them (1998 UT, 2000 OK specifically) but I framed this like the polls at the end of the year...Its a mix of the eye test and the results test.
BuddyCHRIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:06 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
I started doing this then realized I don't want to research all the teams.

I got '01 Miami, '05 Texas, and '04 USC as my #1, #2, and #3 though.
I'd say all three are tied but I think you have to include 2013 Florida St. among the top group based on talent, after all, they ended a long run by the SEC in NCG's. One of the Alabama teams should finish out the top 5, again, Alabama dominated college football for 3 championships in a short time span, it has to mean something.

As for 2008 Florida, they shouldn't have even played in the NCG, Michigan should have played Ohio St. that year based on the rankings till the last vote when the south showed its strength and moved Florida ahead of Michigan when Michigan didn't even play. It is the one and only time that ever occurred in college football history.

Last edited by Iamcanadian : 01-18-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Iamcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:28 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How did I know this thread was started by either bigjohn or mass?

1) 2001 Miami
2) 2005 Texas
3) 2004 USC
4) 2011 Alabama
5) 1999 Florida State
6) 2009 Alabama
7) 2000 Oklahoma
8) 2013 Florida State
9) 2012 Alabama
10) 2008 Florida
11) 2010 Auburn
12) 2002 Ohio State
13) 2003 LSU
14) 2006 Florida
15) 2007 LSU
16) 1998 Tennessee

End discussion

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:30 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

C'mon, BF. C'mon.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:23 PM    (permalink
BigJohn98
Pro Bowler

BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
How did I know this thread was started by either bigjohn or mass?

1) 2001 Miami
2) 2005 Texas
3) 2004 USC
4) 2011 Alabama
5) 1999 Florida State
6) 2009 Alabama
7) 2000 Oklahoma
8) 2013 Florida State
9) 2012 Alabama
10) 2008 Florida
11) 2010 Auburn
12) 2002 Ohio State
13) 2003 LSU
14) 2006 Florida
15) 2007 LSU
16) 1998 Tennessee

End discussion
What was wrong with my list?
BigJohn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:59 PM    (permalink
BuddyCHRIST
Veteran

BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I'd say all three are tied but I think you have to include 2013 Florida St. among the top group based on talent, after all, they ended a long run by the SEC in NCG's. One of the Alabama teams should finish out the top 5, again, Alabama dominated college football for 3 championships in a short time span, it has to mean something.

As for 2008 Florida, they shouldn't have even played in the NCG, Michigan should have played Ohio St. that year based on the rankings till the last vote when the south showed its strength and moved Florida ahead of Michigan when Michigan didn't even play. It is the one and only time that ever occurred in college football history.
You are thinking of 06 UF
Old 01-19-2014, 11:07 AM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
lol at 2008 Florida #1

2001 Miami is without a doubt #1
This.

My top 5 would be:

2001 Miami
2004 USC
2005 Texas
2011 Alabama
1999 FSU

Dolphins Dream Offseason 2014: Re-Sign Paul Soliai and Brent Grimes. Sign Brandon Albert, Sam Shields & Rashad Jennings. The Draft: 1. Kelvin Benjamin 2. Xavier Su'a-Filo 3. Seantrel Henderson 4. Xavier Grimble 5. Dion Bailey 6. Jalen Saunders 7. Nevin Lawson
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:48 AM    (permalink
killa3312
Rookie

killa3312 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

2008 Florida was great. Yes, they lost, but they also played a dramatically more difficult schedule than 2013 FSU did. Let's just put it this way, the '08 Gators would have absolutely obliterated that Auburn team.
killa3312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:48 PM    (permalink
BuddyCHRIST
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa3312 View Post
2008 Florida was great. Yes, they lost, but they also played a dramatically more difficult schedule than 2013 FSU did. Let's just put it this way, the '08 Gators would have absolutely obliterated that Auburn team.
You have no way of knowing that. They lost at home to Ole Miss, a team they would have absolutely obliterated on paper. UF's schedule was tougher, but not dramatically tougher. They beat #4 LSU at the beginning of the year, who went on to lose 5 games and finish unranked. #24 South Carolina lost 6 games and finished unranked. Their big win in the regular season was over UGA who was drastically overrated that year after starting number 1. The SEC Champ game and the BCS game were impressive wins no doubt, which is why I would have them near the top of the 1-loss teams. But not enough to jump most undefeated teams.

Also, FSU outscored Auburn significantly after they started covering up their signals from the sidelines. One game scenarios are often ugly with neither team playing to their full potential so I don't really penalize a team for not being as dominant as they could have been. UF wasn't exactly dominant against OU. I don't buy that 08 OU was that superior of an opponent. A dominant offense, but that was in the days of terrible Big 12 defenses that were routinely exposed against other competition.

Last edited by BuddyCHRIST : 01-19-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:22 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
16) 1998 Tennessee

End discussion
Old 01-19-2014, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's hard to rank all 16, here's my top 5. You could ask me five different times and I might give you five different answers. This is a tough ranking to do.

1: 2001 Miami Hurricanes
2: 2004 USC Trojans
3: 2005 Texas Longhorns
4: 2013 Florida State Seminoles
5: 2008 Florida Gators
Old 01-19-2014, 03:03 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guys I'm sorry but that Tennessee team really wasn't very good. Hell they weren't even as good as the 1997 Tennessee team.

If Ohio State wouldn't have choked like they always did under John Cooper, they would have beaten that Tennessee team. From top to bottom they had more talent.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:04 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn98 View Post
What was wrong with my list?
Oh nothing is wrong with it. I just knew this would have been started by a Florida State fan.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Guys I'm sorry but that Tennessee team really wasn't very good. Hell they weren't even as good as the 1997 Tennessee team.

If Ohio State wouldn't have choked like they always did under John Cooper, they would have beaten that Tennessee team. From top to bottom they had more talent.
They beat the second ranked team twice and six of the teams they beat finished ranked inside the top 25. They had Al Wilson, Peerless Price, Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, Shaun Ellis. I'd take that team and their record over 00 Oklahoma, and 03 or 07 LSU
Old 01-19-2014, 04:16 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
They beat the second ranked team twice and six of the teams they beat finished ranked inside the top 25. They had Al Wilson, Peerless Price, Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, Shaun Ellis. I'd take that team and their record over 00 Oklahoma, and 03 or 07 LSU
The 2000 Sooners beat the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd ranked teams by a combined 38 points. As far as NFL talent goes I'd agree they weren't a particularly talented team, but that was partially due to the fact that their offense wasn't an NFL offense. As far as college teams go they were damn good.

I wouldn't really argue either LSU team, as I had both of them ranked near the bottom as well. I just think the SEC was much better by 2003-2007 than it was in 1998.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyCHRIST View Post
The difference being, that FSU absolutely dominated everyone they played while Miami struggled against VT and Boston College (didn't score an offensive touchdown).
FSU dominated everyone they played? I missed that memo.

I thought I saw them barely squeak out a win against Auburn. Weird.

Oh, right, you meant they dominated one of the two decent teams they played and won in the last moment against the other. Got'cha.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:01 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
FSU dominated everyone they played? I missed that memo.

I thought I saw them barely squeak out a win against Auburn. Weird.

Oh, right, you meant they dominated one of the two decent teams they played and won in the last moment against the other. Got'cha.
So FSU's "struggle" to beat Auburn is equal to Miami's struggles to beat Boston College and Virginia Tech in 2001?
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote