Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:37 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post

"The integrity of the game"

It never has and never will be about the integrity of the game, because there is no such thing. 50 years from now all the granddads of SWDC will be complaining about rule changes, not because they are necessarily bad changes, but because they're different. Everyone will be telling the new SWDC posters that football is nowhere near as good as it was back in 2014 and that the integrity of the game has gone. Because the "integrity of the game" is just based upon what a person thinks is right. Every person that watched the NFL in 1920 probably had equal dislike for whatever version you grew up with. "Plastic helmets??? Football is a hard game!! Where is the integrity?!??!"
Says who....?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They are now talking about moving the ball back 25 yards or leaving it where it used to be if you want to try for a 2 point conversion. It really sounds exciting to move it back so that late in the game the extra point won't be a sure thing although FG's at that distance are still successful over 88% of the time.

I'm just wondering if the whole thing will backfire on them when a lot of close games are decided by a point on a missed extra point. Putting a lot more emphasis on kicking to decide games rather than scoring TD's. Can just see a Division title or a Super Bowl decided by that one point, could have an awful lot of angry fans on their hands, just to add a little excitement to the game, after all 88% success rate from that difference, how exciting will it really be and is it the type of excitement the NFL really needs.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
They are now talking about moving the ball back 25 yards or leaving it where it used to be if you want to try for a 2 point conversion. It really sounds exciting to move it back so that late in the game the extra point won't be a sure thing although FG's at that distance are still successful over 88% of the time.

I'm just wondering if the whole thing will backfire on them when a lot of close games are decided by a point on a missed extra point. Putting a lot more emphasis on kicking to decide games rather than scoring TD's. Can just see a Division title or a Super Bowl decided by that one point, could have an awful lot of angry fans on their hands, just to add a little excitement to the game, after all 88% success rate from that difference, how exciting will it really be and is it the type of excitement the NFL really needs.
I've seen a lot of complaints about the rule changes the NFL and Roger Goodell have made. Here is the thing though, angry or not, whether it will be discussed and compained about on ESPN, the fans aren't going to stop watching Football because of it. There is next to no downside from a business perspective for making the rule changes that they have.

Overall, I like that the NFL (and hopefully the NBA under Silver) are open to looking into ways to improve the experience. I say that even though I don't always agree. One of the main reasons I never became a baseball fan is because of the length of the game, the slower aspects of it, the antiquated rules and "unwritten" rules that don't make any sense but are kept because of "tradition."

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:45 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
I've seen a lot of complaints about the rule changes the NFL and Roger Goodell have made. Here is the thing though, angry or not, whether it will be discussed and compained about on ESPN, the fans aren't going to stop watching Football because of it. There is next to no downside from a business perspective for making the rule changes that they have.

Overall, I like that the NFL (and hopefully the NBA under Silver) are open to looking into ways to improve the experience. I say that even though I don't always agree. One of the main reasons I never became a baseball fan is because of the length of the game, the slower aspects of it, the antiquated rules and "unwritten" rules that don't make any sense but are kept because of "tradition."
Well, I differ, fans may continue to watch but IMO, the games loses something when you change the very picture of the sport. I'm an old goat, 70 now and football was absolutely my favourite sport since I was 5. Nowadays, I find myself watching football less and less and watching Hockey, Basketball and Soccer, more and more. They are all sports that are more consistent in their rules and the game is still what it basically was. Football, on the other hand has just changed way too much for my liking, I happen to like watching great RB's and grew up watching all the great ones from the 50's till today, and now that the NFL has changed to a passing league, I don't find the game as exciting.

I like tradition, your likely young but when you get older and look back on your life, you'll come to respect tradition when you remember all the great things you enjoyed about the different sports and you probably won't like it when they begin to change the very picture of what your favourite sport looked like.
I have no problem changing rules that make a sport dangerous for the players like head shots, but when they change the picture of the sport I have loved for 65 years, I say enough is enough.

Basketball made changes also as did hockey, but a lot of thought went into it before their traditionalists gave in and I really liked the changes, they were well thought out and improved the game. IMO, football has turned the game over to Goodell and given him the power to change whatever he wants, and I for one don't like it one bit. His decisions are all based on TV revenue and making more money, not on the game itself.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:29 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For the integrity of the game, can we limit the amount of commercials? Actual game time is 48 mins, 11 mins of true action but 3 hrs to watch. Come on man.

Touchdown commercial extra point commercial kickoff commercial start of drive. I'm sure I'm missing one more somewhere. Mostly TV time outs are the worst.