Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:00 PM    (permalink
armageddon
Veteran

armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The main problem with Bradford is, his few worst games came on national prime times games, so 99% of the people are basing their opinions on those few games. It's not like people outside of St.Louis are watching many Rams games. Here is my breakdown on Bradford

Great - 10% of the games
Really good - 40% of the games
Average - 30% of the games
Below average - 15% of the games
Terrible - 5% of the games
armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:34 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't need to click that link, whatever it is. Sam Bradford is terrible.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:00 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiFan24 View Post
I didn't need to click that link, whatever it is. Sam Bradford is terrible.
Haha good job man.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:33 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll say this. I was never a huge fan of Sam Bradford before the draft, so that probably still influences my thinking of him. I thought he was like Alex Smith (and by then, Alex Smith was playing alright.) I really like mobile guys who can also sling it - Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck are probably my two favorite young quarterbacks. So I am slightly biased against Bradford.

But.

When I first saw him play as a rookie, I was ready to admit I was wrong about him. He looked calm and like he was a natural at leading an offense. "Game manager" is not a euphemism for "physically untalented"; it means he looked like he was in control and that it wasn't too big for him. A game manager actually manages the game by playing the position; it's a style, not a physical assessment. That was my perception of Bradford. I wasn't a big fan of what he offered, but he looked competent and like he could and would win games for the Rams. However, he hasn't ever really improved from there. He was touted as a high-floor, possibly low-upside player, and I think that's been proven a remarkably valid assessment. He was pretty good as a rookie. He just hasn't been much better since.

I can't think of a big win that has been credited to him. Rams fans are free to correct me on that. But I just can't think of a notable game that Sam Bradford won. With a pretty poor receiving corps, the Rams have not had a great offense. I do think with a better group, and especially if the Rams opt to stay at no. 2 and pick up Sammy Watkins, that Bradford will have a career year next year and I have no trouble imagining that he can put up Pro Bowl-worthy stats. I don't think the Rams need to replace him by any means, though holt-bruce81 got on my for taking Bortles in the draft simulator. That was mostly just me entertaining a fantasy roster.

He's obviously not terrible, but he's not great. I'm still lukewarm on him, but a middling starter is something half the teams in the NFL want. I like that he's competent and clear-headed and wont make big mistakes. He's got some good qualities. People don't need to act like quarterbacks suck if they're not "elite," but those middling guys can be replaced if a team has a chance. In a year like this year, or 2012, when the Rams have a chance to take a quarterback they grade as having more potential than Bradford, it's not a ludicrous idea. Stranger things have happened. 49ers took the exciting but unproven Steve Young when Joe Montana was in his prime. Also got rid of Alex Smith after his best year for another player who wasn't just "competent" but game-changing. That's what Bradford is to me. He's "fine." He's ok. He doesn't need to be replaced, like some people think, but there are also reasons that the Rams could opt to draft a quarterback, too, and it wouldn't necessarily be a bad move. Bradford isn't going to sink the ship, but he doesn't exactly provide an offensive spark, either.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:22 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I liked Bradford coming out, and he had a promising rookie year. And I realize pointing to a Thursday game against the second best defense in the NFL isn't the greatest way to evaluate a QB. But seriously - watch that 49ers game from last year. There's nothing even approaching NFL caliber quarterback play. It was really troubling to watch.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:19 PM    (permalink
Crimson79
Rookie

Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I liked Bradford coming out, and he had a promising rookie year. And I realize pointing to a Thursday game against the second best defense in the NFL isn't the greatest way to evaluate a QB. But seriously - watch that 49ers game from last year. There's nothing even approaching NFL caliber quarterback play. It was really troubling to watch.
Tom Brady looked like dog sh!t several times this year. Do I think Tom Brady sucks? No, of course not. He was breaking in rookies, and was missing play makers that he normally has.

Trying to analyze a QB off of a game in which the whole offense is completely outmatched is insane. I am in no way trying to compare Bradford to Brady as players. I am just trying to point out how much the supporting cast can affect QB play.
Crimson79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:44 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson79 View Post
Tom Brady looked like dog sh!t several times this year. Do I think Tom Brady sucks? No, of course not. He was breaking in rookies, and was missing play makers that he normally has.

Trying to analyze a QB off of a game in which the whole offense is completely outmatched is insane. I am in no way trying to compare Bradford to Brady as players. I am just trying to point out how much the supporting cast can affect QB play.
Supporting cast affects offensive results. The individual QB play is still observable. It's the same concept as scouting a college QB. It's a matter of knowing what you're looking for.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:46 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Trying to analyze a QB off of a game in which the whole offense is completely outmatched is insane.
But if we don't do that, the same size becomes too small to be effective.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:05 PM    (permalink
Crimson79
Rookie

Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Supporting cast affects offensive results. The individual QB play is still observable. It's the same concept as scouting a college QB. It's a matter of knowing what you're looking for.
The supporting cast affects everything. How many QB's play at a high level with no supporting cast?
Crimson79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:20 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Zac Stacy started 3 games with Bradford, Jacksonville, Houston, Carolina....Bradford's three best passing games of the season. Coincidence? I think not.
Ummm Jacksonville and Houston are terrible. And Carolina wasn't one of his three best games. Arizona and Atlanta were better and maybe even Dallas. Carolina was either his 5th or 6th best game out of seven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:09 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The supporting cast affects everything. How many QB's play at a high level with no supporting cast?
I'll just stick by my original statement. It affects Sam Bradford's results. It doesn't affect Sam Bradford's ability.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:50 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He can't stay healthy, which was obviously going to be a problem from the beginning. He's too lean.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:38 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'll just stick by my original statement. It affects Sam Bradford's results. It doesn't affect Sam Bradford's ability.
It's been stated that the game versus the niners on Thursday night was one of the worst of his career. It was an off night by the entire team. I don't think you can judge a Quarterback off of one game.

He had very good numbers versus the exact same defense the previous season.

Last edited by holt_bruce81 : 02-24-2014 at 12:51 AM.
holt_bruce81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:40 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
Ummm Jacksonville and Houston are terrible. And Carolina wasn't one of his three best games. Arizona and Atlanta were better and maybe even Dallas. Carolina was either his 5th or 6th best game out of seven.
Yes it was, he had multiple drops by his receivers and a 65 yard strike to Tavon called back. He was on that day. Stats wise maybe not, but film wise, yes.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:45 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've never heard of a play that got called back get referenced so many times in my life, lol.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:51 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
I've never heard of a play that got called back get referenced so many times in my life, lol.
I referenced it twice! haha
Old 02-26-2014, 01:49 PM    (permalink
ramsrule
Rookie

ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ramsrule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With Bradford they beat Seattle and Tennessee. He's throwing to practice squad receivers - with that being said, he has a lot to prove this year. If the Rams let him go, I can see Belichoke picking him up and them not missing a beat when Brady retires.
ramsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:10 PM    (permalink
armageddon
Veteran

armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
He can't stay healthy, which was obviously going to be a problem from the beginning. He's too lean.

He's had 2 injuries in the pros. One was a high ankle sprain from trying to out run a pass rush (surprise), the other was from a defender pulling him down from the back while out of bounds. Both were fluky and has nothing to do with being injury prone.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:22 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Give him Watkins and Austin and you are really taking advantage of his strengths. Let him throw to those 2, Cook and Pettis all day long. The first two will take short passes and make big plays, the other 2 are big, possession targets he can look for on key 3rd downs and in the RZ.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:25 PM    (permalink
armageddon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
Give him Watkins and Austin and you are really taking advantage of his strengths. Let him throw to those 2, Cook and Pettis all day long. The first two will take short passes and make big plays, the other 2 are big, possession targets he can look for on key 3rd downs and in the RZ.

Don't forget Bailey. He's going to be a stud. If the Rams did take Watkins, they better trade up a few spots and get Lewan. I personally would rather have Robinson / Evans than Watkins / Lewan, but both are fine options IMO
Old 02-26-2014, 05:34 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post

This is a major reason why I think Watkins is going #2 even though I don't think he warrants getting drafted that early. Not only would that fit Bradford's skill set, it would fit Brian "What's a deep pass?" Schottenheimer's offense perfectly.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:36 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watkins is the perfect receiver indeed for Bradford. You can throw it to him real short and without much problem, and hope he does something with it to make your numbers look good. Sam can be in his comfort zone and throw bubble screens and 5 yard passes.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:03 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They can't go WR again. They've already burned a ton of picks there. I'd do everything to try and get an established veteran WR that can come in and pick up the offense right away. Then go Robinson #2, who can line up anywhere and be a huge boost to the run game. Now you have an offense more suited to compete against the monster defenses of the NFCW. This is the deepest WR class in god knows how long and there will still be 1st-2nd round values deep in the draft. Watkins is good, but there's only one Robinson.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:03 PM    (permalink
armageddon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
Watkins is the perfect receiver indeed for Bradford. You can throw it to him real short and without much problem, and hope he does something with it to make your numbers look good. Sam can be in his comfort zone and throw bubble screens and 5 yard passes.

You can thank Shotty for that. Sam throws a great deep ball. The Rams poor o-line is the reason they throw so much underneath. Sam has very little time to throw down field.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:32 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;3574790
It's been stated that the game versus the niners on Thursday night was one of the worst of his career. It was an off night by the entire team. I don't think you can judge a Quarterback off of one game.

He had very good numbers versus the exact same defense the previous season.
Granted. And I did acknowledge that in my first post. It was an especially atrocious game that sticks in my mind when I think of Sam Bradford. But I do think a lot of his flaws - reasons he can't be a consistently acceptable QB - were on display in that game.

Last edited by ChiFan24 : 02-26-2014 at 08:35 PM.
ChiFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote