Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-05-2014, 10:40 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They've been sniffing around the QB's a lot. Seems like using a mid-rounder on one is likely, which I would be completely in favor of. I think Idzik has the opportunity to do a lot of positive things this offseason. Cautiously optimistic about the direction/leadership of the franchise.

One thing that I think will be telling is where mid-round selections get used. There should be a lot with the comp picks. Inside linebacker for example isn't a position we've talked a ton about, though CJ Mosley's name has come up. This draft is a nice opportunity to improve ILB depth and draft a successor to David Harris. If Idizk is able to make moves like that successfully it'll obviously improve the overall depth and quality of the roster along with making it easier to focus on talent and fit in FA and the draft in future years rather than scrambling to find starters at spots.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:49 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Garoppolo is there in the fourth round (I don't think he would be, but who thought Matt Barkley would be last year?), there are very few scenarios where I would be opposed to the Jets drafting him.

And by very few scenarios, I mean if the Jets have drafted 0 or 1 WR's by their fourth round pick and there's one worth taking.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:33 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we're at the 4th round and we haven't drafted a WR, I think there will be a riot lol.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:23 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
If we're at the 4th round and we haven't drafted a WR, I think there will be a riot lol.

Good thing that you are living in Seattle not New York City. lol.

Back to Garoppolo bs. I am not crazy about him at all but with 12 picks I have to learn to live by. However, I do think Jets would trade back into 1st to get him, given how much homework did Jets have endured.

Also, if Jets actually decided to wait until 4th round to draft a quarterback then it could be Tajh Boyd. I rather not.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:02 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Over the years, the Jets have never really taken the obvious guy. I wouldn't be surprised if their mid-round QB is a guy like Aaron Murray, David Fales, or Brett Smith after all the Garoppolo love and with the obvious Boyd connection.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:13 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
Good thing that you are living in Seattle not New York City. lol.

Back to Garoppolo bs. I am not crazy about him at all but with 12 picks I have to learn to live by. However, I do think Jets would trade back into 1st to get him, given how much homework did Jets have endured.

Also, if Jets actually decided to wait until 4th round to draft a quarterback then it could be Tajh Boyd. I rather not.

Other than running back or a defensive linemen (and obviously special teamers), I don't think there is any direction I'd rather see the Jets go in less than quarterback. WR, TE, OT, OG, ILB, OLB, safety or cornerback. Any one of those would probably be a better option in the first round.

If the Jets trade back in the first round to draft a quarterback, well I hope they do their homework for whatever quarterback they're going to draft in the first two rounds next year too because that's where the team would be heading.

Drafting QB after QB every year without taking a consensus #1 prospect hasn't worked out for particularly well for the Dolphins and I have no reason whatsoever to think it would work for the Jets.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:55 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Other than running back or a defensive linemen (and obviously special teamers), I don't think there is any direction I'd rather see the Jets go in less than quarterback. WR, TE, OT, OG, ILB, OLB, safety or cornerback. Any one of those would probably be a better option in the first round.

If the Jets trade back in the first round to draft a quarterback, well I hope they do their homework for whatever quarterback they're going to draft in the first two rounds next year too because that's where the team would be heading.

Drafting QB after QB every year without taking a consensus #1 prospect hasn't worked out for particularly well for the Dolphins and I have no reason whatsoever to think it would work for the Jets.

Parcells had Pennington as number one quarterback. That may be why Dolphins took qb in 2nd round in back to back drafts. As for Jets, if they get a qb in 1st round then that qb has to be a starter for Jets. Good or Bad? I don't know.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:15 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Jets held private meeting for Marqise Lee.

So is it Lee vs Beckham vs Cook for our 18th?

My sorting will be backwards.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:13 AM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A lot of talk about the Jets and Mornhinweg being real high on Cooks. Guess the label is, he's a slightly bigger, more polished version of Tavon Austin (who many wanted the Jets to take last year).

What's your guys thoughts on who to take if these guys are there at #18? Or do you think it should be someone else?

Cooks/Lee/Beckham/Benjamin/Ebron/Amaro

My favorite WR pick for the Jets would be Evans, but I don't think there is any chance he'll still be around. I don't want the Jets taking any Defense in the 1st round. Unless maybe Clowney or Mack were sitting there, but they wont.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:37 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ebron, Lee, Beckham, and Cooks are definitely my top guys for 18.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Nebkreb
Rookie

Nebkreb is a cocksman.Nebkreb is a cocksman.Nebkreb is a cocksman.

Fun part of the Fanspeak.com mock draft simulator: seeing what would have to happen for certain players to fall to the Jets at 18. Been doing a few and I've noticed that if there is a run on QBs early (Bridgewater and Bortles obviously, but Manziel and Carr too) the ripple effect is that higher players (Clowney, Greg Robinson, Mack) fall to the 8-15 range, which can push Evans down to us.

TL;DR - in the first 10 picks, hope Carr and Manziel go if you want Evans
Nebkreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:03 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With how much we're showing interest in Lee and Cooks, it seems hard to believe that we'll be taking them. So, I will start looking at CB, S, and OG options.

EDIT: Just read about how Marty was seen at Geno's pro day last year though. Wonder if where we're seen equates to guys we may take if they fall beyond where expected. I will say though, in the 1st or 2nd, if he sees them up close, I would find it hard for him to rank Lee near Cooks. Cooks is better at virtually everything and, despite his size, far more durable throughout college.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 03-17-2014 at 02:15 AM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Nebkreb
Rookie

Nebkreb is a cocksman.Nebkreb is a cocksman.Nebkreb is a cocksman.

My Jets mock draft
(link: http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/draft.php?d=nnwmkz)
This is without compensation picks obviously

1: HaHa Clinton-Dix - S - the top WRs were all gone. Could have gone with Ebron but the TE depth in this draft is really nice. Dix is the best coverage safety in the draft and would instantly start ahead of Landry
2: Odell Beckham Jr. - WR - Surprised he lasted this long as I've seen him in the bottom half of the first round. Gladly scooped him up with my 2nd pick
3: Stanley Jean-Baptiste - CB - Secured some depth at CB and he could end up being long-term starting corner with Milliner.
4 (1): Troy Niklas - TE - This is the tight end depth I mentioned. Niklas is one of a few TEs that could go anywhere from 2nd to 4th round. Great value here and our best tight end
4 (2): Dakota Dozier - G - Much needed depth inside, might be able to start at RG depending if we do anything else. Might benefit from a year behind a veteran guy like Colon who we could bring in for a one-year stopgap
5: Josh Huff - WR - More talent in our wide receiver group, successfully revamping a truly dreadful position in 2013
6: Dri Archer - RB - An electrifying talent at RB, would add big play capability to a unit that severely lacks it. Morningwheg would move him everywhere in space
7: Devon Kennard - OLB - I confess I don't know a ton about the OLBs in this class but USC has produced some athletic defenders and Kennard could contribute on specials if nothing else

Happy with this draft for the talent infusion at WR and TE, the shoring up of the secondary with HaHa and Jean-Baptiste and the late pick of Archer. Had a chance to get a QB (Fales, Murray) with the Huff pick. If I had done so, I would have gone with Shaq Evans at WR for my seventh round pick.

I would love to see this happen, while the Jets sign DRC, as well as Colon to come back at guard. This draft would allow you to trade a guy like Kyle Wilson since the CB depth (Milliner, DRC, Jean-Baptiste, Walls) is good. Colon can start for another year while Dozier develops.

If this happens, depth chart would be:

QB: Geno, ???, Simms
RB: Ivory, Powell, Goodson, Archer
FB: Bohanon
TE: Niklas, Cumberland, Sudfield, Purdum (long snapper)
WR: Decker, Odell Beckham Jr, Kerley, Nelson, Huff, Hill
T: Brick, Giacomini, Ijalana, ???
G: Winters, Colon, Dozier, Schlauderoff
C: Mangold, Freeman

DE: Wilkerson, Richardson, Douzable
NT: Ellis, Harrison
OLB: Pace, Coples, Barnes, Kennard, Cunningham
ILB: Harris, Davis, Bellore, Mauga
CB: Milliner, DRC, Jean-Baptiste, Walls, Berry, Patrick
S: Dix, Allen, Landry, Bush, Jarrett, Miles

K: Folk
P: Quigley? Free agent?

In this scenario, Jets could trade Wilson for either draft picks or some depth at T or C. The backup QB in this situation would be Vick, Hill or a similar veteran QB free agent.

Love to hear everyone's thoughts
Nebkreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:20 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

It looks like Bortles, Carr and Garoppolo would be top 3 qbs or legit 1st round prospects.

If it became realistic, Jets would have a few good qb options for mid round pick.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:06 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I would be very surprised if Garoppolo is in the 1st. To go that high, he would have to come from a fairly high profile school with the lack of arm strength he has. Looks like Bortles and Carr will go top 10, it's doubtful Manziel gets out of the 1st, and Bridgewater will probably be the next in line, with Fales, McCarron, Garoppolo, and Mettenberger behind. Or that's how I see it anyway.

Nebkreb, I don't really like the players beyond Beckham, but I do like the positions you addressed. Certainly a solid draft. We of course didn't sign DRC though, and I doubt Wilson goes anywhere. He's like the model citizen, and he's actually pretty good in the slot.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:32 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Mini Combine Day is coming.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seaha...ine-coming-up/

It is rather a lot of players for only day. wow.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:37 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Wow.. I did not know that Odell Beckham is part of the wealthy family. Already owned BMW, Benz and Ranger Rover. If this poster has creditability then holy cow!
Old 03-24-2014, 12:39 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

I think Jets at 18th spot may be the highest "right price" to draft either Beckham or Cooks.

Chiefs, Eagles, 49ers and Seahawks may interest into trading up and getting either WR.

If Jets failed to land DeSean Jackson then several teams would trade up ahead of Jets' spot to land either or both WRs.

If Jets managed to get Jackson aboard then they would have options to trade down with a partner that wants either WR. If Jets' first pick was in the bottom portion of the 1st round then they could land top BPA like WR Marqise Lee or TE Jace Amaro.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:34 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Looks like the Jets get a four and three sixes for the comp picks. Not a bad haul. Leaves one pick in every round except three in the fourth and four in the sixth. Lots of opportunities to draft guys in the mid-late rounds.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:02 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Looks like the Jets get a four and three sixes for the comp picks. Not a bad haul. Leaves one pick in every round except three in the fourth and four in the sixth. Lots of opportunities to draft guys in the mid-late rounds.

Since I expected either 2 fours and a six or a four and 2 fives, it is terrible.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:22 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Jets Picks should be officially

4.104 (Bucs)
4.137c
6.209c
6.210c
6.213c
Old 03-24-2014, 09:40 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
Since I expected either 2 fours and a six or a four and 2 fives, it is terrible.
Really? Projections I saw were a 5 and three 6's or a 4, a 5, and two 7's. I was happy to get the 4.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With all of these mid to late round picks, it's going to be crucial to draft some guys who can play specials, and of course guys who'll provide depth.

Unfortunately, I've paid very little attention to the prospects this year, outside of the top guys at a few positions.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:31 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Really? Projections I saw were a 5 and three 6's or a 4, a 5, and two 7's. I was happy to get the 4.
I hoped for NFL tightening up formula due to too many picks. NFL managed to set up for 256 selections a draft. Darn it. lol.

Last edited by YotoJets007 : 03-26-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:51 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

I just played fanspeak simulator as I decompressed.

18- WR ODELL BECKHAM, LSU

I accidentally drafted him over Cooks. Whatever! lol.

49- RB CHARLES SIMS, WEST VIRGINIA

He is exactly WCO RB I seek for RB solution in long term.

80- S DEONE BUCANNON, WASHINGTON

LaRon Landry with better range? I hope so.

104- WR ROBERT HERRON, WYOMING

Jets have sought for WR with short area quickness with an ability of deep run.

115- C TYLER LARSEN, UTAH STATE

Jets finally have a legit center to back up Mangold this year. Next year, Jets could cut Mangold in favor of healthier and younger Larsen.

137- ILB AVERY WILLIAMSON, KENTUCKY

Big and Fast backer. Jets could improve the speed of LB some time.

154- CB PHILLIP GAINES, RICE

Raw with high upside as number one CB.

195- QB TAJH BOYD, CLEMSON

Any pick after 5th round is as good as a bubble player so Boyd here will compete with Simms for 3rd spot. Smith, Vick and Boyd are all similar so the offense won't have to do a major tweak.

209- TE ARTHUR LYNCH, GEORGIA
210- TE CROCKETT GILMORE, COLORADO STATE

Sorry, I can't help it. I waited too long on TE but I'm perfectly happy with Lynch and Gilmore. Both are good blockers with power pass catchers opposing to a vertical pass catcher in Cumberland.

213- OT MATT PATCHEN, BOSTON COLLEGE

BC historically produced a strong run blockers. Patchen unfortunately has a ton of medical problems. Good for backing up Ferguson at LT.

233- CB SHAQUILLE RICHARDSON, ARIZONA STATE

Potential to be at least 3rd CB on any teams. Why not.