Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-26-2014, 05:44 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral...t_round_o.html

10 out of 13 secondaries were drafted in either 1st or 2nd round. 7 went in 1st.

3 out of 5 WR were drafted in 1st round.

Jets only have Milliner as 1st round DB and none of WR were selected in 1st.

Oh man, it is tough to make a decision, isn't it? lol.

1st Round Pool:

WR- Beckham, Cooks, Evans and Lee.
CB- Fuller and Gilbert.
FS- Clinton-Dix and Pryor

2nd Round Pool:

WR- Adams, Landry, Matthews, Moncrief and Richardson.
CB - ???
FS - Bucannon (SS), Reynolds and Ward (SS).

I don't know if that theory is sound but I would go with Pryor and Moncrief in that method.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:04 PM    (permalink
Nebkreb
Rookie

Nebkreb is a cocksman.Nebkreb is a cocksman.Nebkreb is a cocksman.

There are a good amount of quality 2nd round CBs. Kyle Fuller might drop, Baptiste, Roberson, Watkins, Pierre Desir, Joyner is a bit of tweener between S and CB, Breeland, Hampton. Not sure all are fits for Jets press defense for CBs, but I have good things about Baptiste and Fuller.

Same is true for WRs - lots of depth at WR in this draft. I think safety has a very significant dropoff after Dix/Pryor. That's why I would be okay with taking a safety in round 1 if Evans/Dennard/Gilbert/Ebron aren't there
Nebkreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:14 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm going to laugh when we go LB twice in our first 3 picks, and the other selection is OL lol
Old 03-30-2014, 11:41 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Despite WR Class is deep, Jets could get wrong WR.

If Jets did not trade up and snare either Watkins or Evans and a few teams traded up ahead of Jets to land the hot commodity Cooks then for the 18th overall selection, the WR options would be Lee or Beckham Jr.

It would be problematic if Idzik had non WR prospects that holds higher ranks than either WR because after those top 5 WR, there is no NFL-ready WR prospects to count on for immediate helps. Surely, a several of them can step in and surprise everyone with his rookie performance but we don't know who.

Idzik preached us about patience but I don't know whether or not the patience is a virtue.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:41 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm bored so I decided to put together a couple of Jets mocks.

A
1-18: TE Eric Ebron, North Carolina
2-49: WR Martavis Bryant, Clemson
3-80: CB Marcus Roberson, Florida
4-104: S Craig Loston, LSU
4-115: OT Seantrel Henderson, Miami
4-137: OG Trai Turner, LSU
5-154: RB De'Anthony Thomas, Oregon
6-195: ILB Andrew Jackson, Western Kentucky
6-209: WR Devin Street, Pittsburgh
6-210: TE Arthur Lynch, Georgia
6-213: OLB Morgan Breslin, USC
7-233: CB Ricardo Allen, Purdue

B
1-18: WR Brandin Cooks, Oregon St.
2-49: TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
3-80: CB Pierre Desir, Lindenwood
4-104: DE/OLB Chris Smith, Arkansas
4-115: OT Billy Turner, North Dakota State
4-137: S Antone Exum, Virginia Tech
5-154: OG Anthony Steen, Alabama
6-195: RB Storm Johnson, Central Florida
6-209: QB David Fales, San Jose State
6-210: TE Richard Rodgers, California
6-213: OT Matt Patchan, Boston College
7-233: P Pat O’Donnell, Miami

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:22 AM    (permalink
nyjetfan4eva
Rookie

nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Jets have 12 draft picks. In Ryan's first three seasons (2009 to 2011), with Mike Tannenbaum as the GM, they had a total of 13

Last edited by nyjetfan4eva : 04-20-2014 at 02:28 AM.
nyjetfan4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:25 AM    (permalink
nyjetfan4eva
Rookie

nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.nyjetfan4eva wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

1.18. Odell Beckham/WR ....Darquez Dennard/CB ....Justin Gilbert/CB
2.49. Jace Amaro, Texas Tech/TE .Troy Niklas/TE....Demarcus Lawrence/OLB
3.80. Davante Adams/WR
4.104.Gaines/CB
4.115. Murphy/OLB.... Christian Jones/OLB
4.137. Martavis Bryant/WR....Telvin Smith/OLB
5.154. Craig Loston/S.... L'Damian Washington/WR... Cyril Richardson/G Baylor
6.195. Chris Watt OG Notre Dame
6.209. Jerick McKinnon/HB/QB/S
6.210. Jake Murphy/TE
6.213. Michael Schofield/OT Michigan....Matt Patchan/OT Boston College
7.233. Dontae Johnson/CB....Dede Lattimore/ILB South Florida
Old 04-20-2014, 02:25 AM    (permalink
nyjetfan4eva
Rookie

repost opps
fun fact..
NYJ AND RAMS ONLY TEAM WITH 12 PICKS

Last edited by nyjetfan4eva : 04-20-2014 at 02:30 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:20 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In order to get a sense of what pre-draft interest meant for the Jets last year (and might mean this year) I found Walter Football's old database of pre-draft interest by team and took a look at what interest the Jets has in those they drafted.

1.a) Dee Milliner - private workout
1.b) Sheldon Richardson - pro day interest
2) Geno Smith - private workout and pro day
3) Brian Winters - none
5) Oday Aboushi - private workout
6) William Campbell - private workout
7) Tommy Bohanan - none

Kind of interesting, private workouts with 4 of the 7 draft picks, no interest shown in 2 including a third round guy. For Richardson all it took was his pro day. Other thing in common is that the early draft picks all had outstanding physical tools for their position. Wonder if any of that carries over.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great post, Derza. I was just about to search for that.

So with all of the WR's and CB's we've been bringing in, I'd say there is a pretty good chance we go in those directions somewhere in the first couple rounds.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-22-2014, 03:04 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Because I play in spreadsheets all day I took that 2013 information and threw it in Excel to see if I could look at some things in a little more detail with some more efficiency. I think I'm just going to keep a running spreadsheet since it's good historical info to have. Here are a few things that stuck out.

Of the seven guys the Jets drafted, there were no reports that the Jets were interested in that particular player that were a basis for putting them on the list. So for example, the Jets were supposedly "very interested" in drafting Zach Ertz in the second round - you may recall that rumor popping up. Now in Ertz's case he was taken before the Jets picked in the second - but nobody who was listed as one of those rumors. Even guys who they also had in for private workouts or met at an all star game.

They also did not draft anyone who they were reported to have met with at the combine (again this list isn't exhaustive, I think they met with Geno but maybe it went unreported) or at an all star game (Senior Bowl, Shrine Game).

The Jets had multiple interests reported with 6 players, four of them were drafted by some team, and one (Geno Smith) was drafted by the Jets.

At least in the late rounds, lack of expressing interest in a position didn't seem to indicate whether the Jets drafted a guy at that spot. The Jets brought in two tackles - Oday Aboushi and Lane Johnson (both for private workouts) and drafted Aboushi. They also expressed no interest in guards on the surface - nothing for Brian Winters and William Campbell (brought in for a private workout as well) was seen as a defensive lineman - before drafting two guards, Winters on day 2 and Campbell in the sixth (then announcing the position change). They also showed no interest in fullbacks and drafted Bohanan in the seventh - so that's 3 of the 7 draft picks where no one was on the interest list at that position (excluding Campbell since he was thought of as a DE) and a fourth where they brought in two guys (one of whom was drafted in front of their first selection). Including Campbell, the Jets only had expressed interest in four defensive ends (two private workouts, a pro day, and an East-West meeting) before drafting Sheldon Richardson in the first round as well.

Bringing in a ton of guys at a given position meant nothing either. The Jets had 10 safeties and running backs listed with some level of interest (including seven private workouts with safeties and four with running backs) and drafted none, most interest at any position. They also had expressed interest in nine outside linebackers and wide receivers (five private workouts with OLB's, three with receivers) before drafting none. No position was listed more than those four, and none were drafted.

The Jets did have show interest in six quarterbacks (five private workouts, multiple types of interest in three of them) and obviously drafted Geno Smith. Cornerback was similar with seven players who were listed with interest and three private workouts before drafting Milliner.

To sum up, I was surprised how little the quantity of interest at a given position meant. Private workouts seem to be relatively significant, but that's about it. Granted this season they could pretty much draft one player at every position on the field. But who knows, I think we were all thrown for a loop last year when no safeties, receivers, or outside linebackers were drafted and this year could be much of the same. I do think we have a better sense of what Idzik does though in terms of drafting for the future on day 3, but we'll see what happens. Should be an interesting draft.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:07 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bucky Brooks mentioned on a podcast that teams bring in some players to steer other teams the wrong way.

I think they look to trade down. They can a good WR/CB in the late-first.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:19 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Bucky Brooks mentioned on a podcast that teams bring in some players to steer other teams the wrong way.

I think they look to trade down. They can a good WR/CB in the late-first.
Yeah, clearly that's what the Jets did last year. It was just interesting to have evidence - even if it's pretty rough. The other thing is the sample size is so small. They didn't take a WR or an OLB, but if Austin or Mingo is there at 9 does that change?

Anyway the trade down makes sense to me based on where they're looking at guys. Lots of late round 1/early round 2 types. I want them to do it every year though and they never actually do it, so I'm not going to get my hopes up. But in this draft they're in that spot where maybe a high level prospect falls if QB's go high, but if not they're picking at the top of that next tier. Probably better to pick in the middle-end of that tier.

The one thing about moving down, is 12 rookies aren't going to make the team, so maybe if they move down they end up packaging picks to move up somewhere else. Or trade picks for future selections, which I would be a big fan of.

They've also shown interest in guys they'd have to move up for (Watkins at the combine and they were at his pro day though there are a ton of Clemson guys, Evans they're bringing in for a private visit). With all those picks it is possible, but I'll believe Idzik moves up when I see it. Only thing I could see is if the Raiders decide they want to move down for way less than the chart again or something like that happens.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

We're kind of sitting in no man's land at 18, especially if a WR is our target. So I can certainly see a trade down. Beckham, Cooks, and Lee should all be available in the 20's.

I wouldn't mind a trade up either. I think we would have to move up too far and give up too much for Watkins, but I think Evans is a possibility. And Derza makes a great point that 12 rookies won't make the team. Trading for future selections...I would be a big fan of that as well.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-22-2014, 04:37 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I think it'll be really interesting to see where the tier 2 receivers go. I think Watkins and Evans are at a level above the other guys in the draft - right now they potentially project as high end #1 receivers in the NFL.

Everybody else is kind of a niche guy. They lack size, explosiveness, consistent hands, polish, or some combination. But there's not as much separation, at least in my opinion, between the tier 2 guys and even the tier 3 guys.

As an extreme example, and as much as I like Brandin Cooks - mostly because I think he can do things that fit the Jets' scheme and are unique to the Jets' WR corps - is there as big a difference to a team between drafting him and a Paul Richardson as there would be between drafting Odell Beckham and Mike Evans? I'm not sure. There are obviously gaps both ways and maybe there is a bigger gap, but how substantial?

A lot of mock drafts I see coming out right around now have QB's falling and guys like Beckham and Cooks going ahead of the Jets. Would not be an ideal scenario, but it is feasible.

Also I'd just like to note the one WR the Jets have expressed interest in I would very much not like them to draft is Kelvin Benjamin. Not huge on 23 year old project WR's with inconsistent hands.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:37 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Replying to 'Canes' post, I think Evans is a good enough fit. Trestman ran a WCO in Chicago last year and Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffrey did fine. While Evans isn't particularly agile or a true burner, he's potentially a high end #1 wideout so I'd take my chances if they have a shot to get him. He's underrated after the catch, very physical, and dominant in contested situations enough to be a deep threat and stretch the field. Doubt he ends up in green, but it'd be interesting.

Last edited by derza222 : 04-22-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Is Mike Evans a good fit in our offense. I was always under the impression that he was a bad fit, but I haven't seen or read anything about it.

Kelvin Benjamin is very intriguing. He simply can make catches that most other guys can't do to his size, but his hands will always be a question mark, his speed will always be a question mark, and he's got some character concerns. Overall, I'd rather pass on him.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-22-2014, 07:16 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

My reply to 'Canes on Evans is in the post above.

I also ran the Jets in the forum mock, this is what I ended up landing and some of my logic:

18. Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State - The Jets' offense has lacked explosiveness for years, and the current WR group has size and some possession guys but not much big play ability. Cooks can contribute in the screen game, after the catch, and potentially stretch the defense some too. Supposedly a lot of interest in a somewhat similar WR last year in Tavon Austin and that role has yet to be filled.

49. Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech - Cumberland isn't a bad TE but not exactly the kind of guy you want starting either. Amaro provides a long-term option at the position who should be solid in the intermediate area and has the size/strength/demeanor to develop into a good blocker. Nice security blanket for whoever plays QB now/in the future and I thought a good value.

80. Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood - Big corner who can press and fits the scheme. I wanted somebody who can potentially make some plays on the ball and have always wanted the Jets to take raw, talented defensive players and develop them since the coaching staff is actually pretty good on that side of the ball. Don't think corner is as big a need as it's perceived as Walls and Wilson both have starting experience but ideally Desir wins the job.

104. Adrian Hubbard, OLB, Alabama - Ideally the long-term replacement for Calvin Pace in the non-rushing OLB role. Big, long athlete who can potentially set the edge, chip tight ends, cover in the flat, and do some things in space. Should be able to play specials, makes an old LB group more athletic. Underwhelmed in college but if it doesn't work out the need can be filled when it's actually a need.

115. Vinnie Sunseri, S, Alabama - Will get thrown into the competition with Landry and Allen for a starting safety spot and hopefully win starting across Landry. Might step in and be the best coverage safety on the team, can hit some and comes from a solid school. Think he might be undervalued after the ACL injury.

137. Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia - View is he should be at least a quality backup option, which the team will need since Vick's likely a one year guy. The QB situation is far from settled so maybe Murray makes a run at the starting job down the road (don't think he's a star, but it doesn't take much to be better than the Jets' QB's), and I like his value in this part of the draft. Enough arm, lots of experience, worth a shot here.

154. Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia - This was just prior to the Chris Johnson signing, but I think Sims was a really solid value here. The Jets lack a real consistent receiver out of the backfield which is huge in Mornhinweg's offense, and Sims provides that. Probably a better athlete than Powell too, so I think he'd take that role.

195. Christian Kirksey, LB, Iowa - Kind of like Hubbard I think Kirksey improves the athleticism of the Jets' LB group. Hopefully can contribute on specials and potentially takes the starting role at ILB after Harris is not re-signed in FA next year (I imagine he won't be anyway). Probably won't and it'll get addressed next year, but worth a shot to try to draft in advance. I think they only need a two down guy anyway with how stacked the front 7 is.

209. Matt Patchan, OT, Boston College - Really good athlete and a solid tackle who just couldn't stay healthy in college. Probably doesn't do it in the pros either, but I figure this late it's not a bad roll of the dice. Wanted to improve tackle depth. Could easily end up on IR or the practice squad.

210. Gabe Ikard, C, Oklahoma - The Jets always look absolutely horrible when Nick Mangold is hurt but refuse to keep more than a converted guard on the roster. Ikard's a technically sound insurance policy who can probably play some guard in a pinch too which is how I'd prefer the interior line depth works.

213. Gator Hoskins, TE, Marshall - Really good college tight end who lacks prototyical size - but for a offense that's still devoid of proven pass catchers this isn't a bad spot in the draft to take a shot on a guy who's had success as a receiver. If he's good in camp then maybe he can fill a role as an H-back type on passing downs and play specials, if not I didn't expect 12 draft picks to make the team anyway. Might be a practice squad guy.

233. Quincy Enunwa, WR, Nebraska - Big, well built, athletic receiver who was reasonably productive for a pretty bad Nebraska passing game. Raw guy but he's got the tools, figure he's got a nice skill set to contribute on specials and develop as a receiver if he shows well. Not a bad practice squad stash option either.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:32 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Excellent job with compiling all that info, Derza. Really is interesting. Granted, that might just have been how the board fell. Despite realizing the clear need at specific positions, I'd have to believe that if they're looking at things from a BPA-ish perspective, though, say, a Safety might be what we need, if they aren't next up on the big board, it won't be the selection. Hard to say.

Maybe it's my skepticism in the talent, but I really don't see them drafting a CB in the 1st. I just think there are so many other positions that can be upgraded, while the talent of the CBs, to me, lies in the 2nd. All the "experts" are saying it's in the late 1st though, so we'll see. I don't think that would particularly be smart to invest a 1st rounder in a CB in consecutive years, but that's just me. In a draft this stacked, Gilbert (mainly based on athletic ability) and your-top-corner are the only guys I would expect to be 1st rounders.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:22 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah, last year may very well have been a fluke on some levels in terms of positions. Like I mentioned, if Mingo or Austin slip they would have gone OLB or WR at 9 in all likelihood. Austin was also one of three WR's on the interest list who actually got drafted (Cordarrelle Patterson, Quinton Patton). Similar situation at OLB with Jordan and Mingo off the board. From there it was a mid-rounder (Cornelius Washington) and small school/UDFA types, a couple of whom got drafted late (and I forget where Paul Kruger's brother went).

The RB's had more early round guys but kind of went out the window with the Ivory trade. Safety was the interesting one with a real mix of early round guys, mid-round guys, and late round guys. I think I remember them passing on Josh Evans for Aboushi in the 5th - Evans was also in for a private workout. That one I'm still not positive they got right.

This year is actually really interesting. Twelve corners so far on the interest list with pretty much all of the first round guys plus a day 2 guy and a late round sleeper coming in for private workouts. Fourteen wideouts including nine I'd expect on the first two days (six private workouts), one I can't tell where he'll go (Jarvis Landry, also a private workout), and four late round/UDFA types (two private workouts, two at the Shrine game). Next closest positions are OLB and QB with five each - only two private workouts (both OLB's, one a fringe day 1/day 2 guy in Demarcus Lawrence and the other a late round sleeper Larry Webster). The QB's were a mix of combine meetings and all star game meetings with some early round guys and some late round guys, other OLB's were a mix but all mid-late round guys.

Corners I agree. There's a sweet spot where skill level and risk matches what the Jets need long-term as a #2 across from Milliner on day 2. And frankly I wouldn't mind Walls getting a crack at the job. I see no need for three first round corners on the roster, particularly when every first round guy this year has warts.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:09 PM    (permalink
Thecollegedropout
Pro Bowler

Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Roby might have just screwed any shot he had at being pick 18.....

Would the Jets pull the trigger on him in round 2 if they say got Cooks or Beckham Jr?

Beckham Jr/Roby/Fiedorowicz is a tempting first 3 picks, can't lie....
Thecollegedropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:16 PM    (permalink
nyjetfan4eva
Rookie

heres a list of our private workouts if you guys know any others shout out

WR
Brandin Cooks
Odell Beckham
Mike Evans
Kelvin Benjamin
Marqise Lee
Paul Richardson
Walt Powell
Jarvis Landry
HB
Dri Archer
TE
Jace Amaro
Eric Ebron
C.J. Fiedorowicz
CB
Darquez Dennard
Justin Gilbert
Kyle Fuller
Bradley Roby
Jason Verrett
S
Calvin Pryor
Deonne Bucanonn
OLB
Demarcus Lawrence
Michael Sam
Larry Webster
QB
Jimmy Garoppolo
Logan Thomas
Old 04-24-2014, 08:30 PM    (permalink
nyjetfan4eva
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecollegedropout View Post
Roby might have just screwed any shot he had at being pick 18.....

Would the Jets pull the trigger on him in round 2 if they say got Cooks or Beckham Jr?

Beckham Jr/Roby/Fiedorowicz is a tempting first 3 picks, can't lie....
i really dislike roby by just watching his tape but why u say he just screwed his chance at 18??

ohh nevermind dwi thannk gawddd

Last edited by nyjetfan4eva : 04-24-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:21 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Yes, I was very happy to hear about Roby because I was worried he might be a pick of ours. Still could be, but hopefully less likely now and possibly in the 2nd or 3rd.

Also, we seem to have a lot of interest in Sam and we bring him in, I hope it's because he slips terribly and Rex has the belief that he can make something of him, not because Woody wants headlines. That would probably be hard to distinguish though.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:15 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Roby's OVI is laughable but his involvement with bar fight may be a concern for Jets.

Basing on Jets' pre visit list, my short list for 1st round selection is consist of WR Beckham, WR Cooks, CB Fuller and S Pryor.

I have been fixed on taking Pryor in 1st and either Bryant or Latmer in 2nd round. However, Bryant and Latmer may be taken in the 1st round. Ugh! I don't know if I have guts to try it and see if my aforementioned WR is available for 2nd round. If I did and struck out then I would nab both WR Devin Street and WR Michael Campanaro after 3rd round.

Maybe Jets would trade down from 18 to get extra high pick and over-reach either Bryant or Latmer. That way, Jets could get WR, CB, TE, S by 4th round.