Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-03-2014, 08:58 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce2walker View Post
Anyone have an interview with a search firm/recruiting company prior to interviewing with the actual company? I submitted my resume to a company and the search firm (who I assume represents them) contacted me within a few hours wanting to schedule an interview (at the search firm).

It's probably normal, but i just haven't done it before so it feels unusual.
I've done it. If the firm asks you to do an in person interview with them before they submit your resume, chances are they're a quality firm that can get you better rates, so it's good to keep a relationship with them.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:53 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

i just put in my two weeks' notice for the first time in my life.

feels weird, bros.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:05 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post

feels weird, bros.
Im jealous my friend....very jealous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:09 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

feels weird, bros.
I thought you were a consultant?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:31 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

feels weird, bros.
Did the same last week. It's almost a bittersweet feeling when you like the place you're leaving.

But I'm trying to my hardest to fight the "IDGAFs", don't want to burn any bridges.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:41 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
Im jealous my friend....very jealous.
it's kind of sad after 8.5 years. lot of good people here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Did the same last week. It's almost a bittersweet feeling when you like the place you're leaving.
yup, exactly. right career move, but still bittersweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I thought you were a consultant?
i am for another 2 weeks.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:44 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
it's kind of sad after 8.5 years. lot of good people here.

yup, exactly. right career move, but still bittersweet.

i am for another 2 weeks.
Oh so this is the first time you're putting in 2 weeks at your firm? Whenever they shift me around from one company to another I put in 2 weeks at each post.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:46 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

we just have one group of consultants, so we're a department unto ourselves.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:47 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I current working for UC Davis as an Animal Technician. I range from actual care taking for animals and also work in our cage wash area. Right now I spend 70% of my day in our cage wash facility and 30% taking care of some experimental Barn Owls.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Staying in Denver, njx?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:55 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
we just have one group of consultants, so we're a department unto ourselves.
Good for you. My last day is Friday. Taking a week off to **** around, honeydoos, and SXSW.

Then back to work.

Let us know what you are doing. And if you ever want any iOS/Android dev pointers, let me know. I only say that as the mobile market is as hot as ******* balls.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:56 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Staying in Denver, njx?
yeah, i'll be here forever. looks like i won't be getting on many planes for a while though, so i'll have to stop talking trash about all the places all of you are from.

except canada.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:02 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Congrats to all of you who are moving onto new jobs!

The last 2 weeks are such a great feeling. You see everyone around you stressing out and you're like I don't give a **** anymore. It's amazing.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:15 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I applied for a job about two weeks ago. All applications are sent through email to an automated box and then some person from the HR office (almost certainly not the hiring person) sends a "we got your application" email.

I'd like to email them and see the progress and see when they expect to decide who to interview and when the decision is expected to be made. What is the appropriate way to do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:19 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
I applied for a job about two weeks ago. All applications are sent through email to an automated box and then some person from the HR office (almost certainly not the hiring person) sends a "we got your application" email.

I'd like to email them and see the progress and see when they expect to decide who to interview and when the decision is expected to be made. What is the appropriate way to do that?
Try to figure out who the hiring manager is and contact them.

**** those automated systems that HR departments at mega companies utilize. I hope they rot in hell.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:38 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I had a fun phonescreen with a hiring manager last night.

I was discussing my standardization projects, and he explained how he wants someone with harmonization project experience. And I'm like...isn't that the same ****? You're just saying harmonizing instead of standardizing.

And he was like "no we don't standardize, we harmonize"

And I'm like can you explain what your harmonization projects entail?

And he basically described a standardization project. And I'm like yeah...that's what I'm doing...

And he's like yeah but you're standardizing, we want to harmonize.

At that point I'm like holy ****, you're a moron. I felt like I was talking to a recruiter instead of a hiring manager. Like how recruiters just look for key words but have no idea what they actually mean, that's what this dude sounded like.

To be clear, when I say standardize I'm referring to standardizing equipment/processes btw different sites so we all operate the same equipment and use the same processes. Standardization, harminization, sameshitism, whatever you want to call it, it's the same damn thing.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:56 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

filling out applications is so annoying and tedious. All the past employer **** is awkward when I'm coming straight outta college and only have summer camp and odd jobs.

and then the statements. ugh, i'm over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:03 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Keep plugging away Scotty. It's always harder when you're younger, but you gotta pay your dues. That's just how it is.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:03 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea first jobs out of college are always kind of awkward with objectives on your resume and your work history being internships and summer jobs.

Also most big companies (at least around here) essentially make you fill out an SF-86 just during the recruitment process (ok, maybe not as bad as that but still a lot of repeated information).

Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:06 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
filling out applications is so annoying and tedious. All the past employer **** is awkward when I'm coming straight outta college and only have summer camp and odd jobs.

and then the statements. ugh, i'm over it.
You are a freshout, I wouldn't sweat it wrt job history.

For a freshout, GPA, cover letter, and recommendations are going to be your door openers.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just look for growth potential. Don't get stuck at a dead end job. Go for a bigger Fortune 500 company if you can.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:56 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'm complaining a lot in here today but...

I don't always get dressed up for class, but when I do, it's because a superintendent is going to be a guest speaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:44 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

feels weird, bros.
it is awkward, i was with my first company more than 6 years. but in the last 2 years, i've resigned and started with new companies 3 times. i'm a pro now. almost damix level.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:49 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll find out later this month if I get the promotion. I'm feeling confident and feel great about the interview. I'm crossing my fingers.

The Cadillac Three - Tennessee Mojo
http://youtu.be/N41DdVedXCo
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:49 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We should all just start a company together

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote