Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-24-2014, 11:56 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Taylor Martinez, ATH, Nebraska

I stumbled across some Taylor Martinez footage by accident. I'd heard about him, I knew he was a running quarterback from Nebraska who had a reputation for laughable-looking throws and I knew there'd been some publicity about him being very publicly berated by his coach on the sideline. But I really hadn't watched much of him at all, but after just a few minutes tonight - I'm tempted to suggest that Taylor Martinez is one of the best broken-field runners in this draft. Sometimes he looks reminiscent of Cordarrelle Patterson.

He's obviously not going to be a quarterback in the NFL, but he knows it. There have been many successful quarterback-turned-wideout transitions, so I wonder why I haven't heard anyone talking about him at all? Played in a BCS conference on a widely-viewed team, but there's been no buzz about him as an athlete who can make plays with the ball in his hand. Watching, I realized that this was no Josh Nesbitt. Taylor Martinez has fantastic ability and is fast. He's also big, big enough to play running back. I'm sure he can return kicks. He measures out, too.

From his Pro Day:

"mid 4-4s"
3.83 short shuttle
39" vert
10'9" broad jump

If you just look at him cutting through the heart of major colleges' defenses, and don't even bother thinking about him as a quarterback, he's a 6 foot, 210 pound athlete with fluid hips and wiggle to go along with a bit of power and legitimate breakaway speed.

Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:10 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I mean, look at the run at 2:22 and the Kansas State fans reaction afterward. He has next-level speed.

Somebody has to agree with me on this, right? He's like Denard Robinson but bigger.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:21 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

reminds me a lot of Brad Smith when he came out of Missouri. Looking back on it I wish the Jets switched Smith to Safety. Martinez' willingness to play whatever position teams want, will only help matters. A lot of times these Quarterbacks are reluctant to change positions.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:31 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Taylor needs a crash course in playing WR. Just find a way to get the ball in his hands.

Hopefully he can return kicks as a rookie while he learns the WR position.

I agree Martinez has been one of the most breathtaking runners in college football for three years.

Super athlete.

Last edited by FUNBUNCHER : 03-25-2014 at 02:42 AM.
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:45 AM    (permalink
The 1969 Juice
Rookie

The 1969 Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The 1969 Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The 1969 Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The 1969 Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The 1969 Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The 1969 Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The 1969 Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The 1969 Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The 1969 Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The 1969 Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The 1969 Juice is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
Somebody has to agree with me on this, right? He's like Denard Robinson but bigger.
He may be bigger than Denard Robinson but he is a much much softer runner.
The 1969 Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:08 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Won't say he wasted his time there at Nebraska playing QB but as it relates to the NFL he could have been establishing himself as a WR or a S.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:51 PM    (permalink
BuddyCHRIST
Veteran

BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Holy cow that was a hell of a run, never seen that.

I would think RB would be more of a natural fit for him. Easier position to learn and his experience crosses with it more than trying to play WR or Safety.
BuddyCHRIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:16 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyCHRIST View Post
Holy cow that was a hell of a run, never seen that.

I would think RB would be more of a natural fit for him. Easier position to learn and his experience crosses with it more than trying to play WR or Safety.
I dunno. If you don't have pure run instincts, making a switch to running back at the NFL level is HARD.

Learning to get open and run routes is probably just as difficult if not more so, but Taylor seems more like a potential wideout to me than a RB.

Randle EL and Hines Ward made the switch. Maybe Martinez can too.

In the meantime he should concentrate on specials until he learns how to play WR.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Probably wouldn't do bad to pattern himself after a Julian Edelman.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:26 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Definitely worth a look as an UFA who could provide an emergency QB and WR option, but is otherwise undraftable.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:31 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He definitely has the athleticism to make the switch. I would just be concerned with his durability, since he always seemed to be dinged up every year. But maybe now that he's committed to switching positions, he'll focus on bulking up a bit.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:21 PM    (permalink
twiz
Veteran

twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Probably wouldn't do bad to pattern himself after a Julian Edelman.
Yeah he could go down that Cribbs/Edelman/Randle El road.

...the heck is with Kent State and converted QB's?
twiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:23 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Matt Jones can be a first rounder at WR with a coke habit, I don't see why Martinez isn't draftable.

I honestly didn't know he was in this draft. Why wasn't he at the combine?
Old 03-25-2014, 04:26 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
If Matt Jones can be a first rounder at WR with a coke habit, I don't see why Martinez isn't draftable.

Honestly I don't even disagree, but why is this still a talking point as if teams don't learn and adjust from things like this? This was like 8 years ago.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:07 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WR or Safety seem to be the most likely destinations for QB's switching positions and Martinez will likely follow that route.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:04 PM    (permalink
underscore
Veteran

underscore is so money.underscore is so money.underscore is so money.underscore is so money.underscore is so money.underscore is so money.underscore is so money.underscore is so money.underscore is so money.underscore is so money.underscore is so money.

He's a superb athlete but really has no position in the NFL. Definitely not a QB as he wasn't even the best QB on the team this past season (which isn't saying much). He's not durable enough for RB. I'm not sure he could be precise enough as a WR. Not physical enough for DB.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:41 PM    (permalink
twiz
Veteran

twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
He's a superb athlete but really has no position in the NFL. Definitely not a QB as he wasn't even the best QB on the team this past season (which isn't saying much). He's not durable enough for RB. I'm not sure he could be precise enough as a WR. Not physical enough for DB.
I'm not sure how you judge those last two.

As a RB, though he gets dinged up a lot, use him in a platoon and he'd be fine.
twiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:51 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is a late round flier or UDFA for a WR conversion. He has the physical tools to be successful. I like the guy and enjoyed watching him play. I'm glad he is open to switching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:31 AM    (permalink
Norcal3518
Rookie

Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I remember out of high school he was getting a ton of interest to play safety from all the top programs. He wanted a chance to play QB at the next level and Nebraska was the only major program to offer him a scholarship to play QB. I think the transition to safety would be extremely difficult. He should have made the switch out of high school. Smith/Cribbs/Edelman/Randle el are all shifty runners so the transition to WR was easier. Martinez is more of a straight line runner with breakaway speed. He has a shot as a kick returner. He is definitely worthy of a late round draft pick.
Norcal3518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:16 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Honestly I don't even disagree, but why is this still a talking point as if teams don't learn and adjust from things like this? This was like 8 years ago.
B.J. Daniels getting drafted last year is a much more apt comparison.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:33 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure Martinez is well enough physically to play receiver, he got really beat up in his years playing quarterback and not sure he can take many more hits.

I agree great athlete but not sure he can take the hits and keep on going because he sure could not do that at the quarterback position.

My guess is he will get a shot at quarterback in today's NFL, and if that does not work out sure might move positions. But he is not a Joe Webb type athlete, who is big and strong, he is just fast and very skinny it seems.