Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
He's drinking again after rehab. He does stupid things when he's been drinking. He's pretty clearly a bigger risk for death/suspension/jail than someone who isn't a moron.
Except this was never proven. Not even by the authorities. An officer simply mentioned that a some folks from the crowd thought he may have been drinking.

Quote:
You're talking about the need to keep him around. That's going to cost a crap-ton of guaranteed cash soon.
Yeah, but you're talking about a very specific scenario in which he kills himself. My point is that any one player can be killed at any certain time by any specific kind of circumstance. Every team should get rid of every player then because of the potential of them dying.

Quote:
You're not going to get anything when he gets in the headlines again and King Roger hands out a one year suspension. You've got to trade a guy like that BEFORE he ruins his value. Seems like now is the last chance to get something decent. Maybe it's time for Baalke to get what he can and snatch up Dee Ford.
The 49ers wouldn't get great value of him now in a trade. A possible suspension looms, and at this point it would be better to trade him after he serves time for a suspension rather than now.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
This guy, on the other hand, has had four separate incidents involving police. He's not going to learn until you take football away from him. It's pretty clear.
Maybe. Probably. At the same time him losing money on his next deal could change his tune. That and/or a suspension. We have another guy on our roster who had alcohol abuse problems and issues with the law: Alex Boone. He could have potentially been a first round pick, but went undrafted because of his past troubles with alcohol. When he realized it was his last chance at an NFL career he stopped acting like a menace. If Aldon has a drinking problem that is still lingering (which is the bigger issue) he needs continued professional help more so than just being cut/traded.

Quote:
Old 04-15-2014, 01:28 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ness, the guy has three police incidents related to alcohol and went to rehab. I don't think he deserves the benefit of the doubt here when someone says he was drunk.

What's the speculation suspension-wise? I haven't heard any rumors. 8 games seems reasonable, no? Can't be less than 4 for a fourth incident. Could it be a full year?

Regardless, the 49ers will be targeting an OLB in this draft.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:32 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Maybe. Probably. At the same time him losing money on his next deal could change his tune. That and/or a suspension. We have another guy on our roster who had alcohol abuse problems and issues with the law: Alex Boone. He could have potentially been a first round pick, but went undrafted because of his past troubles with alcohol. When he realized it was his last chance at an NFL career he stopped acting like a menace. If Aldon has a drinking problem that is still lingering (which is the bigger issue) he needs continued professional help more so than just being cut/traded.
I'm all for second chances. I think many mistakes are just that - mistakes - and don't define one's character.

But 2 separate DUIs, gun felony, shooting gun and getting stabbed at HIS own party, and now this? He just doesn't get it. And/or doesn't care.

I wouldn't hold my breath that he'll be changing his tune any time soon.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:39 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This guy, on the other hand, has had four separate incidents involving police. He's not going to learn until you take football away from him. It's pretty clear.
Yeah, it's a good thing he didn't get drunk and run over a woman in the street and then drive off. Then get another DUI after that.

Is Marshawn Lynch going to learn if they don't take the football away? He was arrested for multiple DUIs (including the hit and run) and has been arrested on gun charges, as well.

Smith needs to be punished but we live in glass houses.

Last edited by phlysac : 04-15-2014 at 01:42 PM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:49 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Ness, the guy has three police incidents related to alcohol and went to rehab. I don't think he deserves the benefit of the doubt here when someone says he was drunk.

What's the speculation suspension-wise? I haven't heard any rumors. 8 games seems reasonable, no? Can't be less than 4 for a fourth incident. Could it be a full year?

Regardless, the 49ers will be targeting an OLB in this draft.
Regardless of "benefit of the doubt" there is no concrete evidence he was even drinking that day other than the word of a couple of random observers. He didn't seem like he was drinking in the tidbits of video that were provided. Due to his reputation you could have just had a bunch of on-lookers at LAX simply saying he was drunk because of his past troubles. People make up **** for no reason all the time in America.

No one is talking about length of suspension at this point in time because it's too early.

Quote:
Old 04-15-2014, 01:49 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Marshawn Lynch is an absolute moron who deserves the 4-game suspension he's going to get for the second DUI. I'd probably give him 8. He doesn't really deserve to be in the league.

Doesn't have anything to do with Smith. Every team has assholes. Being a fan of a team doesn't change that he's an asshole and deserves to be punished.

And the actions of my favorite football teams' players don't really extend to me, so I feel no reason to defend them or take them personally.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:57 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Marshawn Lynch is an absolute moron who deserves the 4-game suspension he's going to get for the second DUI. I'd probably give him 8. He doesn't really deserve to be in the league.

Doesn't have anything to do with Smith. Every team has assholes. Being a fan of a team doesn't change that he's an asshole and deserves to be punished.

And the actions of my favorite football teams' players don't really extend to me, so I feel no reason to defend them or take them personally.
And I feel Smith should be punished by the Law, League, and Team as well. He needs help.

But I also realize we never know the truth in most cases and it can take a very long time for incidents to be resolved (such as Lynch's last DUI, which was in 2012.) He has a tremendous value to the 'Hawks and has shown that while helping them win a Championship. Smith is also valuable to his franchise.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:00 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like to keep all this blather to how it relates to football so on that note the Niners trade up to the middle of round 1 and draft Anthony Barr.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:01 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

The truth is that they have money, so they get good lawyers, and they receive insignificant penalties.

That's why I don't really have a problem with Goodell laying the hammer down. These guys think they can do whatever they want because they are in some ways literally above the law. There is no way someone with Lynch's rap sheet should be in the league - or at the very least without serving a full year suspension. Same goes for Smith.

I wasn't really thinking at all about Lynch's case or situation, though. You brought it up I guess assuming that I was singling out Smith because he's a 49er. If you'll notice I didn't say a word about the Kaep thing because that was BS. This, however, is not. Has nothing to do with what team I root for.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:03 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aldon Smith is a moron. One DUI is unacceptable in this day when the consequences are so evident, but he's done far more than that.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Yeah, but you're talking about a very specific scenario in which he kills himself. My point is that any one player can be killed at any certain time by any specific kind of circumstance. Every team should get rid of every player then because of the potential of them dying.
Obviously, the risk is greater with him than most others.

This is like saying "yeah, well, cancer could kill people any time so why do we bother treating people for any diseases at all?"

Quote:
The 49ers wouldn't get great value of him now in a trade. A possible suspension looms, and at this point it would be better to trade him after he serves time for a suspension rather than now.
Probably not, but it'd be a lot better value than they'd get after he does another thing and gets popped for a year. I think they could still get a second rounder right now.
Monomach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:55 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Obviously, the risk is greater with him than most others.

This is like saying "yeah, well, cancer could kill people any time so why do we bother treating people for any diseases at all?"
So let me get this straight, you're saying the 49ers shouldn't invest any more money in Aldon Smith because of the possibility of him dying via drunken car crash which is probably going to happen correct? By the way, when was the last time an NFL player died in a drunken car crash? I honestly can't remember.

If our front office had that kind of thinking we'd probably have zero players on our roster, because well, they could get hurt playing the sport of football and then money could be lost.

Quote:
Probably not, but it'd be a lot better value than they'd get after he does another thing and gets popped for a year. I think they could still get a second rounder right now.
Yeah a second rounder isn't worth Aldon Smith. He's a first minimum. And even then, I'd personally rather have him sit for a year. Aldon Smith's just don't grow on trees.

Quote:
Old 04-15-2014, 06:53 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Regardless of "benefit of the doubt" there is no concrete evidence he was even drinking that day other than the word of a couple of random observers. He didn't seem like he was drinking in the tidbits of video that were provided. Due to his reputation you could have just had a bunch of on-lookers at LAX simply saying he was drunk because of his past troubles. People make up **** for no reason all the time in America.

No one is talking about length of suspension at this point in time because it's too early.
Wasn't it a cop/TSA agent who said he believed Smith had been drinking? Not saying that's a Supreme Court Justice, but not exactly a random observer.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:03 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
Wasn't it a cop/TSA agent who said he believed Smith had been drinking? Not saying that's a Supreme Court Justice, but not exactly a random observer.
No it wasn't the officer that said it themselves. An officer said that several eyewitnesses made that claim.

Quote:
Old 04-15-2014, 07:35 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With Smith's considerable baggage i can't see a team giving up a first for him.

Forget football. Aldon Smith needs to get his life together or it'll be a short one.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:12 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakam...d-frustration/

Sounds like the Niners are done.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:33 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
According to Kawakami's view, who loves to stir the pot regarding the 49ers. Just like did with the Harbaugh/Baalke issue which he blew out of proportion. This is classic Tim.

Quote:
Old 04-15-2014, 10:01 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
So even though Kawakami is famous for being a Chicken Little in regards to the 49ers he mentions that the 49ers still strongly support both Kaepernick and Culliver but they have lost the benefit of doubt in regards to Smith. The only player or part of the organization that is questioned in the article is Smith.

Yet you gain that conclusion?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:07 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

I... what? Done. As in, done with Smith. You know, what this thread is about...
Old 04-15-2014, 10:33 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Actually I read somewhere that the cops suspected that he was drinking earlier that day, even though Aldon appeared not intoxicated. I can't remember the website though.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:18 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
Actually I read somewhere that the cops suspected that he was drinking earlier that day, even though Aldon appeared not intoxicated. I can't remember the website though.
Well when you find it, feel free to post the link. Most websites and reports don't say that though. Well, I should say, the ones that actually record the exact quote the officer said.

Quote:
Old 04-15-2014, 11:29 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd still assume he gets the 5th year from them, but he still is a risk for a long term deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:37 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
I... what? Done. As in, done with Smith. You know, what this thread is about...
Got ya completely. Hope you understand how I read it. ;)
Old 04-15-2014, 11:46 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So let me get this straight, you're saying the 49ers shouldn't invest any more money in Aldon Smith because of the possibility of him dying via drunken car crash which is probably going to happen correct? By the way, when was the last time an NFL player died in a drunken car crash? I honestly can't remember.

If our front office had that kind of thinking we'd probably have zero players on our roster, because well, they could get hurt playing the sport of football and then money could be lost.
No, I'm saying that PLUS the possibility of him going to jail PLUS the possibility of him just getting himself injured off the field PLUS the possibility of him being suspended.

All of those possibilities are worlds more likely for him than they are with an average player.

If you don't see him as an enormous risk, I don't know what to tell you. You're not able to take off the fan-tinted glasses when you look at him. If the Niners give him a fair-market extension, they're going to get deep-dicked right in the hindquarters.
Monomach is online now   Reply With Quote