Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:01 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
And it's hard to say the wage is "unfair" when their job takes little to no skill at all and they could be easily replaced.
I personally think they are getting compensated fairly, but I was giving him the benefit of the doubt and showing that it still is legal even if he doesn't believe it is fair. I do think they have skill, but they don't provide much value to the organization.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bring back the Honey Bears.

By the way I wonder if this dude is still employed at NFL Films.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
Hate to break it to you, but legal and fair do not mean the same thing. There is nothing illegal about making profits while paying contractors what amounts to more than minimum wage.
Well there is something illegal about paying below minumum wage but that would have to be determined based on the specifics of the job in question.
I think they may end up getting it for the time of year they actually work, and yeah that may include practice idk. We'll see how it works out.
If not maybe they can decide on another form of compensation.

Would it cause the league to go bankrupt if they gave them 8 to 10 dollars an hr, for the hours they practice during the season and a decent wage during the game.
I'm sure the teams could give some of the merchandise profit to them, I hope they win and get everything they want.
I wonder what kind of money they make in sales to women in merchandise and then turn around and treat women this way..oh yeah, we're sensitive to womens issues with our pink sneakers and penalty flags...lol joke.

Last edited by Jas : 04-23-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:17 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
Well there is something illegal about paying below minumum wage but that would have to be determined based on the specifics of the job in question.
I think they may end up getting it for the time of year they actually work, and yeah that may include practice idk. We'll see how it works out.
If not maybe they can decide on another form of compensation.
Models (not big time)
Musicians (again not big time)
Actors (again not big time)
Personal trainers
etc.

All these occupations and thousands more work for hourly compensation that is less than minimum wage if you break down everything that goes into their jobs.

There are much bigger problems in the world than this and I think it's a travesty if it even receives any time of day in a court room.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:22 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Models (not big time)
Musicians (again not big time)
Actors (again not big time)
Personal trainers
etc.

All these occupations and thousands more work for hourly compensation that is less than minimum wage if you break down everything that goes into their jobs.

There are much bigger problems in the world than this and I think it's a travesty if it even receives any time of day in a court room.
That may be true and maybe they need to organize and do something about it, actors have a union so they're pretty fairly paid regardless of whether or not they're big time.
There are much bigger problems in the world yes, but that doesn't mean this shouldn't be resolved.
Many of these smaller issues are a symptom of the much bigger problems in the world. ;)
Old 04-23-2014, 03:25 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

If the cheerleaders are worth so much more than they are being paid, why don't they quit and form independent cheerleading squads? Then they can keep all of the performance profits for themselves and the NFL is no longer taking advantage of them.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Based on what little I know about what cheerleaders make, they're not even making $5000 a year. I could be wrong about that. I don't really care enough to research it.

Anyway, if you paid them $5000 a year and there are 1,000 NFL cheerleaders, that's a total of 5,000,000 a year. If the NFL made 1 billion a year, that means the cheerleaders are taking .5% of the pie.

Saying all they do is cheer at games is simply not true. They make public appearances, do photo shoots and are heavily featured on team websites: http://www.raiders.com/raiderettes/index.html
Old 04-23-2014, 04:18 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Halsey, these cookie monsters wont share, you have to sue em to get anything, sad.
All the money they make is never enough. They can make money off women by marketing to them but it doesn't go the other way.

Last edited by Jas : 04-23-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:38 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

I can't believe I'm going to say this..but I agree with geraldo and fox news..wow!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT0OuXNyAuM
Old 04-23-2014, 04:55 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

So let's say they win the lawsuit. How much do the Packers have to pay the cheerleaders for their games? They currently use volunteer squads from local colleges (different squads for different games). What about the teams that don't have any cheerleaders?

Or will all teams be required to now have full-time cheerleaders?
Old 04-23-2014, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
So let's say they win the lawsuit. How much do the Packers have to pay the cheerleaders for their games? They currently use volunteer squads from local colleges (different squads for different games). What about the teams that don't have any cheerleaders?

Or will all teams be required to now have full-time cheerleaders?
I don't know the answers to those questions. I don't know if anyone is going to have to be forced into having cheerleaders that doesn't.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:11 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't know the answers to those questions. I don't know if anyone is going to have to be forced into having cheerleaders that doesn't.
Well let's say you were hypothetically in charge. Would you make it a requirement that NFL teams hire cheerleaders? It certainly wouldn't bankrupt the teams and it'd only be fair, right?
Old 04-23-2014, 05:23 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They do deserve more money but they should know how much they are getting before they sign up. The NFL will sooner do away with them then pay them too much.

Now for some hot cheerleader pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

I don't think I would no, I don't think this case is about increasing the number of cheerleaders as it's desired outcome but rather being economically fair to those that are cheerleaders and those in the future who choose to be. Maybe their numbers would increase as a byproduct of better treatment but I wouldn't force teams to have cheerleaders if they don't want them.

Last edited by Jas : 04-23-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:04 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't think I would no, I don't think this case is about increasing the number of cheerleaders as it's desired outcome but rather being economically fair to those that are cheerleaders and those in the future who choose to be. Maybe their numbers would increase as a byproduct of better treatment but I wouldn't force teams to have cheerleaders if they don't want them.
So if the NFL teams all decide that cheerleaders are more of a hassle because these lawsuits than they're worth and therefore decide to eliminate them, would you consider the lawsuit a success? No more cheerleaders would be exploited.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
So if the NFL teams all decide that cheerleaders are more of a hassle because these lawsuits than they're worth and therefore decide to eliminate them, would you consider the lawsuit a success? No more cheerleaders would be exploited.
Well, it depends on the outcome if the NFL loses the case, they'll probably have to settle for either changing their current practices or a large settlement and maybe both. If they win they may just choose to make some changes anyway due to the bad press. They could go that route and eliminate them all together but that would not be good for their image and may hurt their pockets and if there's one thing they don't want, it's to lose a new expanding market and their pretense of being sensitive toward women.

I think they'd love to do away with them now, because as it is, it's damaging but to get rid of them may be a PR nightmare. I think that only makes matters worse.

Last edited by Jas : 04-23-2014 at 06:23 PM.