Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Better Quarterback class?
2004 (Big Ben, Manning, Rivers.... Losman, Schuab) 32 37.21%
2006 (Young, Lienart, Cutler.... Clemens, T-Jack) 54 62.79%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2007, 11:02 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

GRF, if you weren't a Giants fan, Id negative rep you every morning before I brush my teeth.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:02 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
Shockey steps up in big spots. The problem with Shockey is that he was severely underutilized last year. He was used entirely too much on blocking.

He averaged about 40 yards a game receiving. Thats not really great, especially considering the pass happy offense the Giants had going last year.

Toomer is a nice #2 option. But he was injured last year and like I said, Eli was playing on a pro bowl level before Toomers injury (although Pettigout was lost for the season the same game)

And there was NO 3rd reciever on the Giants. Sinorice Moss was injured all year and was a rookie. We were relying on Tim Carter, who shouldnt even make an NFL roster....

Tiki Barber is a nice player, and a compliment to the passing game. I give you that one. But Tiki didnt really make the big play off of a pass. he had only 2 receptions that gained 20 yards. And the long was 28 yards. Plus teams didnt put 8 in the box against us so Tiki didnt help in that regard.
All of that though is a hell of a lot more than what Losman had in Buffalo....
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:06 PM    (permalink
BuffaloDraftGeek
Rookie

BuffaloDraftGeek hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
yea and he had freaking Tim Carter and Bob Whitfield. Plus a crap defense. When the team was healthy, he was a pro bowl caliber QB.

And you have JP Losman over Eli???? what a joke. Eli took a team with the 4th worst team 2004 draft into a perennial post season contender in just one year. Teams didnt stack 8 in the box against the G-Men. And Tiki was underutilized in the passing game, as was Shockey. And since when is Plaxico just a great player? I like the guy but he is a borderline #1 reciever. Theres probably 20 better WRs in the NFL. Yet people say how great Eli's recievers are.

JP Losman is a perrenial loser, with one decent year (yet Eli has had a better season every single year). His team was considerably better then the Giants when he was drafted, yet he hasnt even sniffed the playoffs.

Comparing the 2 is an insult to all intelligent football fans, as well as an insult to Eli Manning and the New York Giants.
Dude, take off your giants blue colored glasses. Eli was BAD last year, bad to the point he almost got benched. He had a QB rating under 80. He didn't take his team anywhere, he lost games for them.

Losman took his team on numerous game winning drives, and proved to be the QB of the future for the bills.

Put it this way. If Losman plays the way he did last year next year, he'll still have a job in 08. If eli plays the way he did last year next year, you can guarentee the giants will be bringing in a new QB.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:08 PM    (permalink
BuffaloDraftGeek
Rookie

BuffaloDraftGeek hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
Losman didn't have any sort of line or protection. If the two QBs were to switch teams, the Giants would be better. Losman has more poise and skill than Eli. Just he had barley and weapons to use, and now he pretty much has nobody outside Evans. So of course Eli will probably have a better year than Losman, but that's only because the Bills are in a rebuilding stage.

Let's see how well Eli does this year without Tiki. If you hit Eli once, you can get inside his mind for the whole entire game, and every defense knows that.
psht, even with less tallent around him, Losman had a better year last year than Eli...
Old 04-08-2007, 11:11 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloDraftGeek View Post
Dude, take off your giants blue colored glasses. Eli was BAD last year, bad to the point he almost got benched. He had a QB rating under 80. He didn't take his team anywhere, he lost games for them.

Losman took his team on numerous game winning drives, and proved to be the QB of the future for the bills.

Put it this way. If Losman plays the way he did last year next year, he'll still have a job in 08. If eli plays the way he did last year next year, you can guarentee the giants will be bringing in a new QB.
Eli wasn't that bad. Come on, almost benched? No way. People exaggerate Eli sooooo much because he's under a microscope in NY.

People cite Alex Smith as having a great 2nd year when having 16 TDs, and 16 INTs.

Imagine if Eli put up those #s? People would kill him.

Eli is not nearly as bad as his haters will lead you to believe. Everything he does is exaggerated 10 fold because of the market he plays for. I guarantee you that if Lossman was transplanted into NY with his same exact #s, people would kill him even more.

And thats coming from a guy who liked JP this year. I think he was very solid.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:13 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Eli wasn't that bad. Come on, almost benched? No way. People exaggerate Eli sooooo much because he's under a microscope in NY.

People cite Alex Smith as having a great 2nd year when having 16 TDs, and 16 INTs.

Imagine if Eli put up those #s? People would kill him.

Eli is not nearly as bad as his haters will lead you to believe. Everything he does is exaggerated 10 fold because of the market he plays for. I guarantee you that if Lossman was transplanted into NY with his same exact #s, people would kill him even more.

And thats coming from a guy who liked JP this year. I think he was very solid.

Yeah I would agree moreso with this view of Eli. He wasn't a bad QB, but he did struggle a little more than was expected for his third year. Reports of him being benched were mostly a minority of people who know very little about football, and just wanted to see Lorenzen in there.

Was he bad? No
Was he as good as some people (GRF in particular) make him out to be? Hell no.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:15 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
Yeah I would agree moreso with this view of Eli. He wasn't a bad QB, but he did struggle a little more than was expected for his third year. Reports of him being benched were mostly a minority of people who know very little about football, and just wanted to see Lorenzen in there.

Was he bad? No
Was he as good as some people (GRF in particular) make him out to be? Hell no.
Yup. He was middle tier I would say. Not what we expected in his 3rd year. But he wasn't horrible like some say. I think thats a fair assessment of him.

Oh, and don't listen to GRF's homerific statements.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:17 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloDraftGeek View Post
Yep. thats why the G-Men extended his contract for 3 years a month ago? They wanted to bench him for a 270 lb rookie backup. furthermore, the Giants went out and signed a backup just in case Eli doesnt produce this year..... oh wait, no they didnt. you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

And he didnt take the team anywhere???? how about the playoffs? And what games did he lose for them? Seriously, I wanna know.

Stop being a homer and a hater.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:18 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I laugh every time I see things like that from you.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:19 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
YOur still argueing about this?
YOu actually need to accept the fact that Eli is a terribly inconsistent QB and move on.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:20 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Yep. thats why the G-Men extended his contract for 3 years a month ago? They wanted to bench him for a 270 lb rookie backup. furthermore, the Giants went out and signed a backup just in case Eli doesnt produce this year..... oh wait, no they didnt. you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

And he didnt take the team anywhere???? how about the playoffs? And what games did he lose for them? Seriously, I wanna know.

Seriously, what are you trying to accomplish with these threads? Why not just wait and see what happens? Youre making the rest of us look foolish. Don't force your opinions down people's throats. Just sit back, enjoy the ride, and if it works out the way you envision, then yeah say what you want afterwards.

But calling Eli the next Elway is so beyond any rational that you should expect the responses youre getting.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:20 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is actually bringing up some decent points to the ridiculous things others are saying.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:24 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
He is actually bringing up some decent points to the ridiculous things others are saying.
Yeah he is. But after being here for a year now, one thing Ive learned is that youre never gonna change the opinions of people on 2 subject matters.

1. Michael Vick
2. Eli Manning

Those 2 guys, people have their own personal views on, and no matter what you say to disprove them, will never sway their opinion. So why even bother?

Jesus could come down today and proclaim Eli the next messiah, and he'd still have haters. Theres no point trying to argue with people on this subject. Every now and then I will because I get so frustrated with the ignorance being spewed, but Im trying to refrain from wasting font on such an overdiscussed subject matter.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:27 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yeah he is. But after being here for a year now, one thing Ive learned is that youre never gonna change the opinions of people on 2 subject matters.

1. Michael Vick
2. Eli Manning

Those 2 guys, people have their own personal views on, and no matter what you say to disprove them, will never sway their opinion. So why even bother?

Jesus could come down today and proclaim Eli the next messiah, and he'd still have haters. Theres no point trying to argue with people on this subject. Every now and then I will because I get so frustrated with the ignorance being spewed, but Im trying to refrain from wasting font on such an overdiscussed subject matter.
Hey thats not true. I joined this forum hating Eli Manning and thinking he was the epitome of bad QB. Some of the posters on here help changed my views on that. I don't think he's the second coming or anything but I've certainly taken off my colored glasses regarding Eli. Although I do know what you mean.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:29 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief49er View Post
"Eli Manning....... John Elway"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Eli Manning sucks dude!
11 G 123 Comp 259 Att 47.5% 1663 yards 6.4 YPA 7 TD 14 INT
15 G 214 Comp 380 Att 56.3% 2598 yards 6.8 YPA 18 TD 15 INT
16 G 327 Comp 605 Att 54.0% 3891 yards 6.4 YPA 22 TD 23 INT

vs.

09 G 95 Comp 197 Att 48.2% 1043 yards 5.3 YPA 6 TD 9 INT
16 G 294 Comp 557 Att 52.8% 3762 yards 6.8 YPA 24 TD 17 INT
16 G 301 Comp 522 Att 57.7% 3244 yards 6.2 YPA 24 TD 18 INT

Which one is Eli, which is Elway, and which is better?

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Last edited by Dam8610 : 04-08-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:33 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post

vs.

09 G 95 Comp 197 Att 48.2% 1043 yards 5.3 YPA 6 TD 9 INT

2nd one is Eli, and clearly, the #s say he's better.

The argument can be made yes. But its waaay too premature.

I bite my tongue, and wait and see. I don't want to sound like an idiot and prematurely say this or that.
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

To answer your post Elway.
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:

vs.

9 G 95 Comp 197 Att 48.2% 1043 yards 5.3 YPA 6 TD 9 INT

It's been brought up before, the second one is Eli, the second one is better, but comparing Eli to Elway is more than just numbers. I think Elway had a career QB rating in the 79.9 ballpark? A lot of QBs had better numbers, but there are other things in a comparison.

Anyway, I think this is conversation is really starting to go in circles again so maybe its time to take a step back.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:35 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

or to just lock this stupid thread.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:40 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While having less weapons around him I'd rather have Losman instead of Eli.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:41 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
2nd one is Eli, and clearly, the #s say he's better.

The argument can be made yes. But its waaay too premature.

I bite my tongue, and wait and see. I don't want to sound like an idiot and prematurely say this or that.
Well obviously it's a bit early to say that Eli is the next Elway, but at the same time, to say the comparison is ridiculous is pretty stupid, since it's actually a pretty accurate comparison IMO.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:41 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eli is an average to above average QB. He has many flaws, but the thing i don't see consistantly is progression
Quote:
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:43 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

Too many games where it looks like he is Roookie ELI, next game WOW good Eli, then rookie, then rookie, then rookie, then good eli.

I think this year will be a true testament of his worth.

He was drafted to be less of a project than Losman and Losman has proven progression.

Both have tough years next year.

Both are very good young QB's.
Quote:
Old 04-08-2007, 11:45 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

Quote:
Well obviously it's a bit early to say that Eli is the next Elway, but at the same time, to say the comparison is ridiculous is pretty stupid, since it's actually a pretty accurate comparison IMO.
not when it can only be based off stats.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:14 AM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoe20 View Post
Was Eli playing on defense? Is it his fault that his defense commited personal fouls and let go of VY on 4th down? When a team blows a 21 pt lead it's the defenses fault.
He wasn't playing defense but he sure as **** gave up two lame ducks to Pacman Jones.
Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote