Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:31 AM    (permalink
JMiah
Rookie

JMiah hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default The Latest on Mike Turner?

Does anyone know what/where is going on at this point? I heard the Titans made an offer... but then he was still visiting with the Bills at some point as well...

Is he going to be somewhere else by draft day or what?

Thanks...
Old 04-09-2007, 11:41 AM    (permalink
zoinks
Rookie

zoinks hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Unless someone offers up a first-round pick, I doubt Turner gets moved before draft day. I wouldn't expect to hear anything until then.

A.J. Smith holds all the cards at the moment, and gains nothing by doing a deal quickly, as opposed to waiting until draft day. He can afford to stand on his asking price, and see if anyone blinks.

I seriously doubt the Bills or Titans are going to give up their first round pick; the most likely scenario there would be a swap with Tennessee. (Obviously, the Chargers would prefer to swap with Buffalo, but the Bills' #12 pick is a lot more valuable than the Titans' #19 pick. The Chargers would have to sweeten the deal a lot before Marv Levy would bite.)

I'm guessing a deal will be done on draft day....probably a second-round pick this year, and a first-day pick from next year's draft.
zoinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:42 AM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's going to be really hard to move him unless the Chargers realize they probably won't get more than a late 2nd for him. If I were the Chargers I'd take an offer similar to what the Bills got for Willis McGahee in a 07 3rd rounder and an 08 3rd rounder.
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:49 AM    (permalink
myinnerself
Rookie

myinnerself hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKevin View Post
I think it's going to be really hard to move him unless the Chargers realize they probably won't get more than a late 2nd for him. If I were the Chargers I'd take an offer similar to what the Bills got for Willis McGahee in a 07 3rd rounder and an 08 3rd rounder.
People keep saying stuff like this, but everyone has to realize AJ Smith puts a high value on having him on our team this year. If AJ doesn't get a high offer then he is 100% content having him as a Charger this year because he is incredible insurance to this team. AJ won't just give him away because of this, he will simply hold on to him for another year, and let him walk and take the comp pick for him when he is gone. You have to figure in the value he has as a Charger next year to the team. AJ would take an 07 2nd and 08 2nd probably, but no way a 3rd each year.
myinnerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:02 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I'm pretty sure that AJ is changing his tune in terms of what kind of value he is willing to receive for Turner. At first it was "it will take a one and a three" but now he is saying that he is very open to any trade packages. I heard (I will look for the link) that a 2nd this year and a 3rd next year would do it. As a Bills fan, I hope we jump all over this...Turner will be a STUD.
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:15 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

To add on to what I just said...

I think the only thing holding the Bills back on trading for Turner right now is the long-term contract that he will need before he is traded. We are obviously interested in him (Owner Ralph Wilson sent a private jet to bring him into Buffalo on Thursday because he was having airline problems in Tennessee) and reportedly he is a smart and high character individual (35 on Wonderlic or something) which Marv Levy would love.

I really think that Buffalo would give up a 2nd this year and a 3rd next year in a heartbeat, but the traditional frugality of the organization in the contract portion could be a problem. However, Marv Levy has shown since he got here that when he wanted a guy then he got him (trading up for McCargo, giving big contracts to Kelsay, Dockery and Walker). Stay Tuned for sure.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:32 PM    (permalink
ChewyRaven318
Rookie

ChewyRaven318 could make a wolverine purr.ChewyRaven318 could make a wolverine purr.ChewyRaven318 could make a wolverine purr.ChewyRaven318 could make a wolverine purr.ChewyRaven318 could make a wolverine purr.ChewyRaven318 could make a wolverine purr.

The Mike Turner situation interests me a lot. It's hard to see him being an all-pro back, but he's got the talent to start in the league, so hopefully he ends up with a team that will utilize him. I think the Titans or Bills would be perfect fits.
ChewyRaven318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:45 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I highly doubt he goes anywhere except on a possible draft day trade. There is no reason for either the Titans, Bills, or any other team for that matter to give up both a 1st and 3rd Round pick this year for him when he is an unresticted free agent next year.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:02 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I highly doubt he goes anywhere except on a possible draft day trade. There is no reason for either the Titans, Bills, or any other team for that matter to give up both a 1st and 3rd Round pick this year for him when he is an unresticted free agent next year.
Well the understanding is that they would be able to come to a long term agreement before officially trading for him.
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:05 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoinks View Post
Unless someone offers up a first-round pick, I doubt Turner gets moved before draft day. I wouldn't expect to hear anything until then.

A.J. Smith holds all the cards at the moment, and gains nothing by doing a deal quickly, as opposed to waiting until draft day. He can afford to stand on his asking price, and see if anyone blinks.

I seriously doubt the Bills or Titans are going to give up their first round pick; the most likely scenario there would be a swap with Tennessee. (Obviously, the Chargers would prefer to swap with Buffalo, but the Bills' #12 pick is a lot more valuable than the Titans' #19 pick. The Chargers would have to sweeten the deal a lot before Marv Levy would bite.)

I'm guessing a deal will be done on draft day....probably a second-round pick this year, and a first-day pick from next year's draft.
I don't agree Smith holds all the cards at all - if it comes to draft day and Turner hasn't been traded yet, Smith is going to be desperate to get him traded for picks in that draft, he's not going to want to wait until after the draft where only a player or 08 picks can be dealt. Plus the Bills or Titans could address HB in the 1st and remove themselves from the trade effectively eliminating some competition for his services which wouldn't be good for SD.

I agree waiting until the draft *could* pay off for the Chargers, but it could also backfire horribly. If anything I think the Bills, Titans etc would love to wait until draft day.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:13 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTitan View Post
I don't agree Smith holds all the cards at all - if it comes to draft day and Turner hasn't been traded yet, Smith is going to be desperate to get him traded for picks in that draft, he's not going to want to wait until after the draft where only a player or 08 picks can be dealt. Plus the Bills or Titans could address HB in the 1st and remove themselves from the trade effectively eliminating some competition for his services which wouldn't be good for SD.

I agree waiting until the draft *could* pay off for the Chargers, but it could also backfire horribly. If anything I think the Bills, Titans etc would love to wait until draft day.
Although I cannot speak for AJ, from what I understand he would be just as happy to see MT a Charger for one more year as he would be to get some good draft picks for him. The thing is, if all he is going to get is a second or third round pick for him, I think AJ, as well as me, feel that it is better to keep Turner for the year. Keeping Turner around gives us a great KR, as well as 100-120 carries off LT's mileage for what looks to be a playoff run. Not to mention the possibility *note I say possibility before comp pick "expert" jump down my throat* that we get a third round comp for him in 09 anyway, make it worthwhile to keep his services for what could be a Super Bowl run. I think most Charger fans would feel that if all we could get is a 2nd or 3rd round pick, it may be worth it to keep him for another year. I would be hapy either way though, personally.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:55 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
from what I understand he would be just as happy to see MT a Charger for one more year as he would be to get some good draft picks for him.
He's an UFA next year... so I don't think a team would be foolish enough to deal anything for Turner.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:07 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myinnerself View Post
People keep saying stuff like this, but everyone has to realize AJ Smith puts a high value on having him on our team this year. If AJ doesn't get a high offer then he is 100% content having him as a Charger this year because he is incredible insurance to this team. AJ won't just give him away because of this, he will simply hold on to him for another year, and let him walk and take the comp pick for him when he is gone. You have to figure in the value he has as a Charger next year to the team. AJ would take an 07 2nd and 08 2nd probably, but no way a 3rd each year.
You realize the comp pick they get for Turner wouldnt be until 09, and even then its not garaunteed to be a 3rd rounder. Yes, it is very nice to have him as insurance, but good backup running backs are not hard to find. They could pick one up on the 2nd day of the draft or in FA with someone like Brown or Dillon. They also still have Sproles.

I just feel like if they are getting offered any kind of decent package for him they have to take it, Turner is a waste of talent behind LT and theyre gonna get very little for him if they dont move him now. They could stockpile a lot of talent with extra picks.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:27 PM    (permalink
myinnerself
Rookie

myinnerself hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

Sorry, but take it from someone very familiar with AJ Smith and this situation, the Chargers are in a win-win situation and hold all the cards. If AJ doesn't get an offer he likes, he won't care one bit, and he will love to have a player like Michael Turner on the roster for another year. He is worth more to the Chargers for one more year than a 3rd or late 2nd. He will never be desperate to move Turner, because he would love to have him on the team for another year, that's why the price is so high in the first place. So don't think that waiting will help, because it simply won't.
myinnerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:54 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well if he's prepared to get absolutely nothing for Turner in exchange for another season as a backup, then sure, he holds all the cards.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:58 AM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well if he's prepared to get absolutely nothing for Turner in exchange for another season as a backup, then sure, he holds all the cards.
Well, he definitely is.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:31 AM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Non_Sequitur hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Would I trade Thomas Jones for Michael Turner? No. What did Thomas Jones cost? The value of an early 3rd round pick.

No way Turner is worth more than a late 2nd, maximum.
Non_Sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:23 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

AJ Smith is holding all the cards? How on Earth do you figure that?

The onus is on him to get something of value before Turner becomes an unrestricted free agent, meanwhile the Draft has Day One depth that can produce exceptional RBBC backs if not potential starters. Buffalo and Tennessee willingly gave up their previous backs who were actually successful as primary runningbacks in the league unlike Turner, and Ted Thompson has hardly made a habit of using draft picks for bargaining chips.

They don't need San Diego, San Diego needs them.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:32 AM    (permalink
BoltsOnTheBeach

Either between the Bills or the Titans...
Swapping #1s and sending a 3rd or 4th for Turner is the best situation possible for the Chargers. A straight up 2nd rd pick is nice too, there is definitely depth still remaining to fill strong needs at those picks... i think if it comes down to a 2nd rd pick it will be with the Bills, and if it involves swapping 1st rounders it will be with the Titans.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:03 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
He's an UFA next year... so I don't think a team would be foolish enough to deal anything for Turner.
I'm confused, do you mean nobody would trade any draft picks this year? If so, than why is their all this speculation, as well as official visits to Buffalo and Tenn? If you mean after he leaves as an UFA, than of course no one would deal anything for Turner, they don't have too.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:07 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
AJ Smith is holding all the cards? How on Earth do you figure that?

The onus is on him to get something of value before Turner becomes an unrestricted free agent, meanwhile the Draft has Day One depth that can produce exceptional RBBC backs if not potential starters. Buffalo and Tennessee willingly gave up their previous backs who were actually successful as primary runningbacks in the league unlike Turner, and Ted Thompson has hardly made a habit of using draft picks for bargaining chips.

They don't need San Diego, San Diego needs them.
Does San Diego really need them? To me, if anything it's the other way around. San Diego had a team that could have, and arguably should have made the super bowl last year, and Turner was a big part of that. He takes 100-120 carries off LT and gets great field position on every KR for SD. AJ Smith, as well as the Chargers, are not in any big rush to unload Turner, so if the right offer does not come along, theyre satisfied with him. Since they don't need to get rid of him to reach the Super Bowl, and other temas like Buff, Tenn, etc. need RBs like Turner (and if you really think he's so unproven, and so talentless I would like you to wonder why teams like Buff and Tenn are so interested in him, and why AJ holds him of such high value) to reach the next level.

In truth, I don't think either team needs anyone in this situation, rather it's more of a "this might be better for us" type situation for both teams.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:26 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

eacantdraft smells like sex panther.

If any trade happens it probably won't happen until draft day or the days prior to it. Giving up a 1st and 3rd for Turner is a little steep if a team signs him as a restricted free agent. Team are trying to get him for a little cheaper.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:23 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
Does San Diego really need them? To me, if anything it's the other way around. San Diego had a team that could have, and arguably should have made the super bowl last year, and Turner was a big part of that. He takes 100-120 carries off LT and gets great field position on every KR for SD. AJ Smith, as well as the Chargers, are not in any big rush to unload Turner, so if the right offer does not come along, theyre satisfied with him. Since they don't need to get rid of him to reach the Super Bowl, and other temas like Buff, Tenn, etc. need RBs like Turner (and if you really think he's so unproven, and so talentless I would like you to wonder why teams like Buff and Tenn are so interested in him, and why AJ holds him of such high value) to reach the next level.

In truth, I don't think either team needs anyone in this situation, rather it's more of a "this might be better for us" type situation for both teams.
Buffalo can draft a RB to pair with Anthony Thomas and Tennessee drafted LenDale White with its 06 2nd round pick, they can avoid Turner and proceed business as usual. Hanging on to Turner to keep a Super Bowl run alive in case Tomlinson goes down to injury is certainly understandable, but so is the reality that if San Diego doesn't get anything for Turner now, then they'll have to wait until the 2009 Draft for a compensatory pick (assuming of course they don't sign anyone in the 08 off-season to offset Turner's signing elsewhere in any way).

By the way, I only said that Turner was unproven as a primary back, unlike Willis McGahee or Travis Henry who the teams in question willingly parted ways with, as opposed to your "so talentless" claim.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:25 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCohen View Post
Well, he definitely is.
Haha, do you really believe that? Then why has said that he is willing to accept less than a 1st and a 3rd?
Old 04-10-2007, 11:29 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
The Bills need him this year. I really think that we will end up trading for him. Again, the only problem I think right now is the long-term deal that it will take to trade for him. Plus, he is not guaranteed to go to Buffalo in FA next year. If we trade for him obviously we would be guaranteed of Turner for many years. I really think we will get him and it will be before the draft or after, definitely not after. I see us trading a combination of a 2nd and a 3rd, one pick this year, one next year.

According to http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/10117946 (written yesterday) we are still talking with them.
Quote:
--The Bills continue to talk with the San Diego Chargers about a possible deal for restricted free agent RB Michael Turner. After tendering him a $2.35 million contract, the Chargers are entitled to draft pick compensation of a first- and third-round pick in 2007. Buffalo would have no problem giving up a third-rounder -- it has two this season -- but its first round choice is No. 12 overall. That is way too valued to give up for Turner. If Buffalo somehow were able to trade down into the lower portion of the first round, obtaining more picks or a veteran player they could use to address their many needs, then deal that lower first-round pick for Turner, it would factor out better. Stay tuned. Turner, just 25, has great speed and power and could blossom as a starter after three years backing up LaDainian Tomlinson.