Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 04-10-2007, 07:27 PM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

asmitty45 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Asante Samuel

I proposed this in another forum but since Asante has demanded a trade what would you guys think about this:

NE Recieves:
#2 Overall (CJ21)

DET Recieves:
Asante Samuel
#24 Overall
#28 Overall

I know id do it but is it too much to ask from NE? and is it realistic? and would you guys want it?

I think he'd be a great addition to the secondary and we'd get 2 late 1sts which we could use to trade up for a player we want (Willis) or we could stick there and take 2 otehr players who fill needs (Charles Johnson, Puz, Reggie Nelson?)

Thoughts?

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21
asmitty45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:58 PM    (permalink
lionsfan81
Rookie

lionsfan81 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.lionsfan81 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i would definatelyy do it. perfect trade for both. In the end i dont see the patriots giving up that much but i guess you never know.
lionsfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:04 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We'd be crazy not to do that, but there is no way NE would even consider it. That would be ludicrous.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:52 PM    (permalink
Bootland27
Rookie

Bootland27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bootland27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I have a different approach on this.

He is a pro-bowl corner, but do you know whether he will be just as good in a zone defense instead of man-to-man??? Can you justify paying him what he wants without knowing that???
Old 04-10-2007, 09:01 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think he'd do just fine in a zone im sure in NE they play soem zone but i could be wrong but NE wouldnt do this. Value could easily be right but they wont do it because they dont wanta draft at #2 NE is a well run team in terms of contracts and money and they'll have zero interest in drafting at #2 and having to pay a rookie around 10 mil which is almmost as much as Brady.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:14 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd do it in a heartbeat, but there's no way NE would consider that. They'd just be giving up too much. And I'm not really sure who they'd target at 2 anyway. Of course they could try and trade down, but assuming they stayed at 2, it doesn't make sense to me. Of course they could take CJ, but to me NE has shown a willingness to go with a slew of recievers rather than a true #1 stud type. Plus they could get a pretty darn good recieverat the spot they're already picking in. Would he be as good as CJ? Of course not, but I'm sure they'd be just as happy not giving up anything and paying a guy less. Either of the QB's isn't an option. They could go Joe Thomas, but I think their line is pretty set and solid. They wouldn't target Peterson with Maroney there. And 2 is really too high for anyone else. But again, I'd do it in a minute if I was the Lions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:37 PM    (permalink
Thomas7399

Just think about CJ lining up in a Patriots uniform. I do agree though that the Pats would be getting jacked in this trade. Two first rounders and a pro-bowler is a lot to give up.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:27 PM    (permalink
reinar
Rookie

reinar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

look back at 2003, i think the pats are willing to give up draft picks, they always have extras, and if they see something they like, they will make a bid. I just hope if they do, millen says yes, takes it, adds our CB, and uses the 2 late first rounders to good use. we would still have 3 picks in the top 34 picks. i would be happy with that.

also they wouldnt be getting jacked actually, if you check the chart. they would be valueing samuel at about a #10 1st round pick, value.
reinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:35 PM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

I think the value is about right and honestly, i wouldnt be surprised to see it happen. But i can definitely understand the pats argument against it. I would just love to see it happen

fenikz

35-21
Old 04-11-2007, 06:44 AM    (permalink
Notredameleo
Pro Bowler

Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wish so man!
Old 04-11-2007, 07:39 AM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This would be a great deal for both. Samuel wants out and CJ-Brady would be incredible.

I think it would actually be worth it for the Pats... and I'd hate to see us fall away from taking Adams, Landry or Willis. *shrugs*.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:52 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is no way NE would make that trade. They aren't run by Matt Millen!! The most you would get from them would be Samuel and a 1st or 2nd rounder for our #2. Samuel, as a franchised player is worth 2, 1st rounders himself if anybody signs him. I just wish people would get off these ridiculous fantasies and stay in reality.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:24 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Actually, New England gets the better of that deal. The proposed trade values Asante Samuel as the 14th overall pick in the draft. I don't care that New England gets two 1st Round picks if someone signs him, they'll be lucky to get a top 20 pick if they trade him. Personally, I'd do that trade. I'm not sure New England would want to move up that far (despite how tempting CJ may be).

The possibility of a draft like this, with the addition of Samuel, is awesome:

LB Jon Beason
DE Anthony Spencer
FS Brandon Merriweather

Too bad it won't happen.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:40 AM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions View Post
Actually, New England gets the better of that deal. The proposed trade values Asante Samuel as the 14th overall pick in the draft. I don't care that New England gets two 1st Round picks if someone signs him, they'll be lucky to get a top 20 pick if they trade him. Personally, I'd do that trade. I'm not sure New England would want to move up that far (despite how tempting CJ may be).

LB Jon Beason
DE Anthony Spencer
FS Brandon Merriweather

Too bad it won't happen.
Word for word. Great value for both teams... but it wont happen. Beason/Spencer/Meriweather?! Please... I want.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:53 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions View Post

LB Jon Beason
DE Anthony Spencer
FS Brandon Merriweather
Which is exactly why the Patriots would never do it, because they could stay put and get the same thing out of the draft...
Old 04-11-2007, 11:47 AM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
There is no way NE would make that trade. They aren't run by Matt Millen!! The most you would get from them would be Samuel and a 1st or 2nd rounder for our #2. Samuel, as a franchised player is worth 2, 1st rounders himself if anybody signs him. I just wish people would get off these ridiculous fantasies and stay in reality.
Shut up man, all you ever do is s**t on the lions, pick a team and SUPPORT them.

If there is one Debby Downer in this entire site it's you canadian.

It may not be realistic but thats WHY I ASKED IN THE ORIGINAL POST!

fenikz

35-21
Old 04-11-2007, 05:33 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

as i said eralier yea the deal works out but the pats will not be willing to move up to #2 and pay a rookie that type of money. They refused to pay branch, law, and got a great deal on brady and i see no reason why they would be willing to pay about 10 millions for a rookie their franchise is very tight with their money and its just not a situation that they would want to be in they will be very satisfied to take 2 first round pick especially after they have already added to WR this offseason
Old 04-11-2007, 05:34 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmitty45 View Post
Shut up man, all you ever do is s**t on the lions, pick a team and SUPPORT them.

If there is one Debby Downer in this entire site it's you canadian.

It may not be realistic but thats WHY I ASKED IN THE ORIGINAL POST!
I can't agree more with this post.