Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:15 PM    (permalink
richdg
Veteran

richdg hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default My final review of needs/mock draft.

Nothing new here, but we are getting close to the draft. So I thought, that for 1 more time a quick review of needs and a mock was in order.
Needs:
3rd QB
Power RB
Big WR
2nd/3rd TE
T
G
DL help
OLB
ILB

Mock, as of today/no trades:
1. Staley OT CMU 6-5/310 4.82 40 yards. His time still blows me away. Guys this big are not supposed to run that fast. Great athlete, that needs another year to be ready for the starting LT job. Smith is one of the highest paid players on the team. We may be forced to move him next year. This gets his replacement in place a year early. Optional pick in round 1 is Branch DT 6-6/325. He is dropping a little on most boards. But we pick 15th, this would be a major coup if he is there.
2. Alama-Francis DE/DT 6-5/280 4.85 40 yards. Only his 4th year playing football. Already a very good player, great athlete, great motor, and only going to get better. Looks like a Aaron Smith clone to me. Fills a need as we slowly transition to the 4-3. If Branch is the first rounder, then go with the best OLman available here.
3. Bazain DE/OLB 6-3/266 4.77 40 yards. Never ever ever stops coming. Very good athlete that can play either OLB in a 3-4 or a DE in the 4-3. Reminds me of Kevin Greene, without the hair.
Day 2 picks. These are specific need type players. You just never know what you are going to get.
4A. Spaeth TE 6-7/270. Big, tough, strong, great blocker. Fills a need to make us tougher at the point of attack. A T in a TE number. Allows us to run more 2 TE sets (think Balt.'s 46 D) to help free up Parker and protect Ben.
4B. DeOssie ILB/OLB 6-4/250 4.62 Great size and speed combo. Should be even better than his dad was. Yes I remember his dad playing. The prefect replacement for Farrior in a couple of years. Could be a poor mans (don't dare say his name, but he wears #54 for the Bears!)
5A. Henry or Battle. Henry is 5-11/230 runs a 4.40 40 yard and Battle is 6-2/235 runs a 4.42 40 yard. Both are big and fast. Either one would be a perfect fit in the Bettis role. 10-12 carries in short yardage sits. I prefer Battle, but Henry would be fine as well.
5B. Young C/G 6-5/335 Big, strong, tough int. Olman. He would be our 3rd G, but can also back up C. His versatility gives him the nod over other players. 4 year starter.
6. Kent WR 6-4/221 4.50 40 yard. New to football, but a great athlete. Might be the best athlete left in the draft at this point. We only need him as our 4th WR at this point. But with his abilities, he could become much more.
7. Finnerty QB 6-2/215. 2 time NC at GVSU. He could have went to a D-I school, but knew he would start at GVSU. He is a Steve Young type QB. Good arm, great wheels, and tough as nails. 3 year starter. Knows how to win.

Time to stop, my fingers hurt!
richdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:44 PM    (permalink
richdg
Veteran

Ok, that was scary. Any thoughts?
Old 04-11-2007, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richdg View Post
Ok, that was scary. Any thoughts?
I like it, very well designed and thought out. Although I read we won't take Staley unless a trade down FWIW.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:49 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol i think its pretty good, i had nothing bad to say lol so i didnt add my 2 sense in

i wish we dont take staley at 15 though
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:00 PM    (permalink
richdg
Veteran

Staley might be a little high at 15. But if you find a player you really want and really need, why take the risk? I think we all can agree we need to rebuild our OL. A lot of money is tied up in our OL, and it has been shaky at best. The right side is worse than the left, but good LT are the hardest to find. I have mentioned before, that my OL for this season would be Smith, Colon, Faneca, Kemo, and Starks going form left to right. Staley would spend a year learning and getting stronger, then take over at LT next year. Smith gets traded and Starks is let go. More picks for next year. Then we use those picks to take Long to play RT, and with the money freed up we can sign Faneca to be the ring leader for the next 5 years. OL problem solved. Plus we have additional picks to sure up the secondary and any other needs. Now we are fully reloaded in a period of 2 drafts.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:05 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Staley might be a little high at 15. But if you find a player you really want and really need, why take the risk? I think we all can agree we need to rebuild our OL. A lot of money is tied up in our OL, and it has been shaky at best. The right side is worse than the left, but good LT are the hardest to find. I have mentioned before, that my OL for this season would be Smith, Colon, Faneca, Kemo, and Starks going form left to right. Staley would spend a year learning and getting stronger, then take over at LT next year. Smith gets traded and Starks is let go. More picks for next year. Then we use those picks to take Long to play RT, and with the money freed up we can sign Faneca to be the ring leader for the next 5 years. OL problem solved. Plus we have additional picks to sure up the secondary and any other needs. Now we are fully reloaded in a period of 2 drafts.
1 problem with that Theory, what are you don't with Mahan and Simmons? Is Faneca playing center?

And honestly i'm not fond of drafting a RT in round 1. A guy Like Chase Johnson and Jason Capizzi could be monster RT's and they're rd 7 udfa types.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:16 PM    (permalink
richdg
Veteran

Mahan and Simmons shouldn't even be on the team. Neither is a good NFL OLman. Mahan lacks talent and Simmons has health issues that are not going to go away.
Starks was a third rounder and can't cut it. Why would a 7th or UDFA do any better? If they were any good, they would be drafted higher. I like drafting good players that can start in the 1st. A Staley Long combo at T fills that need for the next 10-12 years.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:33 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Mahan and Simmons shouldn't even be on the team. Neither is a good NFL OLman. Mahan lacks talent and Simmons has health issues that are not going to go away.
Starks was a third rounder and can't cut it. Why would a 7th or UDFA do any better? If they were any good, they would be drafted higher. I like drafting good players that can start in the 1st. A Staley Long combo at T fills that need for the next 10-12 years.
Because both played LT for weak conferences. Sure Long would fix RT, but like I said, there's better value than a RT in round 1. RT's can be had throughout the draft. Just because we got Starks and had 1 bad season in 3, doesn't mean 1) He can't go to probowl status
2) That you have to draft a Jake Long type to have a great RT.

Look at Some of the Best RT's.

Shane Olivea, Rd 7
Jon Runyan, Rd 4.
Mark Tauscher, Rd 7
Fred Miller, Rd 5.

Granted Leon Searcy was amazing. I'd rather take Staley rd 1 and a guy like Capizzi or Johnson in rd 7 (Sign the other in UDFA) and let the 2 rd 7 guys battle for RT. Both have amazing upside to LT.

You should read up on Capizzi, a local boy, could end up being a damn good LT.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:57 PM    (permalink
richdg
Veteran

I got Speath right. Wrong round though.