Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:31 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason
I'm not sure about who the best corner in the east is right now. What I can't get past is all the people saying Newman is so overrated. Please, one of you please explain to me what the job of a corner is, and then tell me where Newman was lacking last year. What was his deficiency? How can he be overrated when he didn't even make the pro bowl? What more can we ask of him? Just because he is dominating this poll doesn't make him overrated. Polls on here are worthless. What makes him underrated, is the fact that nobody (outside of dallas fans) mentions him among the elite corners, (when you watch a Cowboys game, what member of the secondary has everybody on his nuts?) when his play would indicate otherwise. I laugh when people mention Lito Sheppard as elite, while ignoring Newman. If Newman isn't best in the East, he's neck and neck with Sheldon Brown and Shawn Springs. Tough for me to say. I like all 3. Fact is, the most indispensible member of the Dallas secondary is Newman, not Roy Williams. Newman is more deserving of a trip to Hawaii, IMO.
I'm not saying he's bad, he is a very solid starter. He gets his job done very well, but I wouldn't say he is better than Brown. Brown breaks up more passes, and doesn't give up as many receptions. He is better in coverage, while he isn't as fast as Newman, he is better at blitzing and is excellent in run support. The weak link in the Eagles secondary last season at least was Lito Sheppard, he gave up a lot of big plays. Newman didn't give up many td's because it was much easier to just throw the ball over Roy Williams, or other less talented members of the secondary. IMO he is a good cornerback, but on this site he is overrated. Not by everyone, just a few select cowboy fans. He is not a shutdown corner, and not a top 5 corner like some say, but to be fair neither is Brown. Both are good corners, but Brown is more well rounded then Newman.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:44 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sheldon Brown

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:18 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningham06
Quote:
I'm not sure about who the best corner in the east is right now. What I can't get past is all the people saying Newman is so overrated. Please, one of you please explain to me what the job of a corner is, and then tell me where Newman was lacking last year. What was his deficiency? How can he be overrated when he didn't even make the pro bowl? What more can we ask of him? Just because he is dominating this poll doesn't make him overrated. Polls on here are worthless. What makes him underrated, is the fact that nobody (outside of dallas fans) mentions him among the elite corners, (when you watch a Cowboys game, what member of the secondary has everybody on his nuts?) when his play would indicate otherwise. I laugh when people mention Lito Sheppard as elite, while ignoring Newman. If Newman isn't best in the East, he's neck and neck with Sheldon Brown and Shawn Springs. Tough for me to say. I like all 3. Fact is, the most indispensible member of the Dallas secondary is Newman, not Roy Williams. Newman is more deserving of a trip to Hawaii, IMO.
I'm not saying he's bad, he is a very solid starter. He gets his job done very well, but I wouldn't say he is better than Brown. Brown breaks up more passes, and doesn't give up as many receptions. He is better in coverage, while he isn't as fast as Newman, he is better at blitzing and is excellent in run support. The weak link in the Eagles secondary last season at least was Lito Sheppard, he gave up a lot of big plays. Newman didn't give up many td's because it was much easier to just throw the ball over Roy Williams, or other less talented members of the secondary. IMO he is a good cornerback, but on this site he is overrated. Not by everyone, just a few select cowboy fans. He is not a shutdown corner, and not a top 5 corner like some say, but to be fair neither is Brown. Both are good corners, but Brown is more well rounded then Newman.
Um, :roll: , I don't know wtf you are talking about. Here is what the deal is:

There once was a little boy named Baskalonis (or something like that) who developed a severe boy crush on a football player named Terence Newman. Balaskonis was a talkative boy, and would often go about proclaiming his love for Newman on every forum he visited. Along the way, Balaskonis pis$ed a lot of people of because of the stupid ridiculous statements he made, and the homeric way in which he proclaimed his love for Newman. The result of his spewing was that people actually ended up hating the person that he loved so much. The End.

Newman is by no means "overrated" on these boards. When the majority of people say that someone is overrated, then they can not- by definition- actually be overrated. The ultimate example of this is Michael Vick. His name comes up in every single "overrated" thread on this board. The only difference between him and Newman is that the national media still rides his jock. So, by THAT standard, he still kinda is overrated, but definately not by the fans.

Balaskonis is the only person that overrates Newman. The only one, and that is only because he thinks that he is basically as good as Deion in his prime. Because of that little twit, everyone on here actually hates Newman, if anything. Except Cowboy fans, that is.

The reason why we value him so highly is because we actually watch all the games. The media doesn't. They follow the highlight reels, they look at boxscores and they write about the obvious. The way Newman plays is not conducive to this sort of attention. He straps it up, shuts up, and shuts 'em down. Anyone who consistently watches the Cowboys thinks this same thing. Last year, we had two Pro Bowlers on defense. Yet, all the local media, all the fans and the coaching staff all concur that he was hands down our defensive MVP. Go figure that out.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:41 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine
Quote:
Quote:

There once was a little boy named Baskalonis (or something like that) who developed a severe boy crush on a football player named Terence Newman. Balaskonis was a talkative boy, and would often go about proclaiming his love for Newman on every forum he visited. Along the way, Balaskonis pis$ed a lot of people of because of the stupid ridiculous statements he made, and the homeric way in which he proclaimed his love for Newman. The result of his spewing was that people actually ended up hating the person that he loved so much. The End.

Newman is by no means "overrated" on these boards. When the majority of people say that someone is overrated, then they can not- by definition- actually be overrated. The ultimate example of this is Michael Vick. His name comes up in every single "overrated" thread on this board. The only difference between him and Newman is that the national media still rides his jock. So, by THAT standard, he still kinda is overrated, but definately not by the fans.

Balaskonis is the only person that overrates Newman. The only one, and that is only because he thinks that he is basically as good as Deion in his prime. Because of that little twit, everyone on here actually hates Newman, if anything. Except Cowboy fans, that is.

The reason why we value him so highly is because we actually watch all the games. The media doesn't. They follow the highlight reels, they look at boxscores and they write about the obvious. The way Newman plays is not conducive to this sort of attention. He straps it up, shuts up, and shuts 'em down. Anyone who consistently watches the Cowboys thinks this same thing. Last year, we had two Pro Bowlers on defense. Yet, all the local media, all the fans and the coaching staff all concur that he was hands down our defensive MVP. Go figure that out.
I watch plenty of cowboys games, as they most are televised since I live in Texas. I watch all of the teams in the NFC East very closely. I really hope that you aren't serious about saying he is a shutdown corner, because he isn't at all. On these forums I say he is overrated, just take a look at the polls. The best corners in the NFC East are
1. Sheldon Brown
2. Shawn Springs
3. Terence Newman
You can call me a homer for saying Sheldon is better, but plenty of non Eagles fans agree with me, but Shawn Springs is also better than Terence Newman. I don't like either team over the other, but Springs is a better cornerback than Terence Newman.

So how exactly is Newman better than either Springs or Brown? So far all I've heard is that he is because he is.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:54 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh god Sheldon Brown isn't winning.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:06 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I went Sheldon Brown on this one. I would take either Eagles CB over Newman.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:13 PM    (permalink
The Fat Kid
Pro Bowler

The Fat Kid The Fat Kid The Fat Kid The Fat Kid The Fat Kid The Fat Kid

iv been watchin shawn springs shut down TO for a long time. i'll take springs.

sig by CalBears99
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodachu
I HAVE ISSUES!
The Fat Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:22 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
iv been watchin shawn springs shut down TO for a long time. i'll take springs.
He really shut him down last season, since he didn't get to play either game against the skins. But he has in the past done an excellent job against TO, but I believe he also had some safety help.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:11 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:

I watch plenty of cowboys games, as they most are televised since I live in Texas. I watch all of the teams in the NFC East very closely. I really hope that you aren't serious about saying he is a shutdown corner, because he isn't at all. On these forums I say he is overrated, just take a look at the polls. The best corners in the NFC East are
1. Sheldon Brown
2. Shawn Springs
3. Terence Newman
You can call me a homer for saying Sheldon is better, but plenty of non Eagles fans agree with me, but Shawn Springs is also better than Terence Newman. I don't like either team over the other, but Springs is a better cornerback than Terence Newman.

So how exactly is Newman better than either Springs or Brown? So far all I've heard is that he is because he is.
And all you've said is that he's not because he's not. Lol. I mean, c'mon. I (as well as, I assume, a lot of people on these forums) am a regular subscriber to the Ticket and I watch a ton of games, ok? I watch all the NFC East closely because that is my division, and I watch the Skins a lot because I hate them with such a passion. So I have a very good idea of what I'm talking about.

Unfortunately, in this particular discussion, there aren't a lot of concrete, substantial facts that can be quoted. You can't use interceptions, tackles or (to a lesser extent) pass deflections to gauge a CBs value, because the no. 1 priority for a cornerback is to make sure that his man does not catch the ball. The best way to do that, is by covering so well that the QB refuses to throw your way. So, essentially, the ultimate cornerback would have a total of 0 balls thrown his way, and thus would have no ints, pass deflections, and very few tackles.

Therefore, you can't use hard stats as a measuring stick. All you can do is keep them in mind as a very shaky component of the overall evaluation. Cornerback, more than any other position on defense, imo, is most easily evaluated by simply observing. Most of the time, no new is good news. So if you aren't hearing about or seeing a CB in on a lot of plays then that usually means that he is doing a very good job. And when he IS tested, then he must demonstrate an ability to make a play.

If you simply must have a stat to back this up, I have two that are readily available. I'm sure you are familiar with KC Joyner, from ESPN. He is basically a professional statistician who watches games play by play and breaks them down into categories. From this information, he forms unique "metrics" that are designed to more accurately measure players at different positions according to more specific criteria than we are used to seeing. One of these is comp % against for CBs. He wrote about this last year, and gave stats from 2004. Here are a list of the top 10 corners in the league in comp% against for 2004:

1. Dre' Bly -- 36.5 percent
2. Mike McKenzie -- 40.8 percent
3. Eric Warfield -- 44.0 percent
4. Shawn Springs -- 44.6 percent
5. Deltha O'Neal -- 44.8 percent
6. Will Peterson -- 44.9 percent
7. Asante Samuel -- 46.2 percent
8. Terence Newman -- 46.6 percent
9. Al Harris -- 47.4 percent
10. Nate Clements -- 47.7 percent

So, according to this particular standard, it would seem that Newman is a top 10 CB, while Springs is just a smidge better than him. However, there is a modification that he makes to these rankings called "missed passes", or in other words, passes where the QB simply made a bad throw that the reciever had no way of catching. Here were the top 10 in missed passes (or the bottom 10, depending on how you look at it):

80. Sheldon Brown -- 41
79. Jerametrius Butler -- 31
78. Terrence McGee -- 31
77. Shawn Springs -- 27
76. Lito Sheppard -- 25
75. David Macklin -- 25
74. Deshea Townsend -- 24
73. Dre' Bly -- 21
72. Eric Warfield -- 20
71. Gary Baxter -- 20

So, while Springs was above Newman slightly in comp%, he was also the beneficiary of a lot of bad throws from the QB. Now, this brings the pass-rush into play, because bad passes are often the result of pressure on the QB, and we all know that there isn't a CB in the league that can cover for 5 seconds. So there is no way to measure a CB in a vacuum. A lot of it is subjective judgment. But here is a stat that suggests Newman as a top CB, and this was in a year that he was clearly struggling. Imagine how good he was last year.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:14 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
1. Sheldon Brown
2. Shawn Springs
3. Terence Newman

So how exactly is Newman better than either Springs or Brown? So far all I've heard is that he is because he is
And all you've said is that he's not because he's not. Lol. I mean, c'mon. I (as well as, I assume, a lot of people on these forums) am a regular subscriber to the Ticket and I watch a ton of games, ok? I watch all the NFC East closely because that is my division, and I watch the Skins a lot because I hate them with such a passion. So I have a very good idea of what I'm talking about.

Unfortunately, in this particular discussion, there aren't a lot of concrete, substantial facts that can be quoted. You can't use interceptions, tackles or (to a lesser extent) pass deflections to gauge a CBs value, because the no. 1 priority for a cornerback is to make sure that his man does not catch the ball. The best way to do that, is by covering so well that the QB refuses to throw your way. So, essentially, the ultimate cornerback would have a total of 0 balls thrown his way, and thus would have no ints, pass deflections, and very few tackles.

Therefore, you can't use hard stats as a measuring stick. All you can do is keep them in mind as a very shaky component of the overall evaluation. Cornerback, more than any other position on defense, imo, is most easily evaluated by simply observing. Most of the time, no new is good news. So if you aren't hearing about or seeing a CB in on a lot of plays then that usually means that he is doing a very good job. And when he IS tested, then he must demonstrate an ability to make a play.

If you simply must have a stat to back this up, I have two that are readily available. I'm sure you are familiar with KC Joyner, from ESPN. He is basically a professional statistician who watches games play by play and breaks them down into categories. From this information, he forms unique "metrics" that are designed to more accurately measure players at different positions according to more specific criteria than we are used to seeing. One of these is comp % against for CBs. He wrote about this last year, and gave stats from 2004. Here are a list of the top 10 corners in the league in comp% against for 2004:

So, according to this particular standard, it would seem that Newman is a top 10 CB, while Springs is just a smidge better than him. However, there is a modification that he makes to these rankings called "missed passes", or in other words, passes where the QB simply made a bad throw that the reciever had no way of catching. Here were the top 10 in missed passes (or the bottom 10, depending on how you look at it):

80. Sheldon Brown -- 41
78. Terrence McGee -- 31
77. Shawn Springs -- 27
76. Lito Sheppard -- 25
75. David Macklin -- 25
73. Dre' Bly -- 21
72. Eric Warfield -- 20
71. Gary Baxter -- 20

So, while Springs was above Newman slightly in comp%, he was also the beneficiary of a lot of bad throws from the QB. Now, this brings the pass-rush into play, because bad passes are often the result of pressure on the QB, and we all know that there isn't a CB in the league that can cover for 5 seconds. So there is no way to measure a CB in a vacuum. A lot of it is subjective judgment. But here is a stat that suggests Newman as a top CB, and this was in a year that he was clearly struggling. Imagine how good he was last year
Excellent post. Couldn't have said it better myself.
I wish more people around here (and in general) viewed the game through the same lenses that you have prescribed for yourself.
It really is ridiculous for people to form their entire opinions on players/teams solely off conventional statistics. Sadly, this way of thinking seems to encompass the vast majority of NFL fans. There are many statistics out there (such as those you referenced) that can be used to more accurately interpret the game than things such as INT's, and total yards.
Most people don't realize how much lies beneath the surface. It's just- "Shaun Alexander is the MVP! He broke the TD record, therefore he is the best RB in the game! He's the freakin' MVP!" Uh....no. The Seattle Seahawks had one of the best ground games in the league last year, and Alexander was a part of that. Same thing with Newman, but in reverse. "What?! Newman isn't even that good! He only had 3 INT's and 14 PD's! Are you crazy? He's average at best! So overrated!" In reality he is among the league's elite CB's. A true shutdown corner, and all you have to do to realize this fact, is WATCH THE DAMN GAME! (with a keen eye)... Again, great post.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:06 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I find in general that for some reason, people on this board are in love with cornerbacks. Don't know why. Just give me someone who can catch a ball and make a tackle and I'm happy. Especially with the amount of zone and zone blitz packages these days. Shutdown corners are a thing of the past. Everyone else in the NFC East can be happy with their corners and I'll be happy with my pass rush. Sam Madison may not be the best corner in the East anymore, but at 28 years old (the same age of Newman) Sam was way more accomplished than Newman could even dream about. As long as he can catch the poor throws from Bledsoe and Brunell caused by our pass rush, I'll be more than happy.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:19 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. Sheldon Brown
2. Shawn Springs
3. Terence Newman

80. Sheldon Brown -- 41
78. Terrence McGee -- 31
77. Shawn Springs -- 27
76. Lito Sheppard -- 25
75. David Macklin -- 25
73. Dre' Bly -- 21
72. Eric Warfield -- 20
71. Gary Baxter -- 20

So, while Springs was above Newman slightly in comp%, he was also the beneficiary of a lot of bad throws from the QB. Now, this brings the pass-rush into play, because bad passes are often the result of pressure on the QB, and we all know that there isn't a CB in the league that can cover for 5 seconds. So there is no way to measure a CB in a vacuum. A lot of it is subjective judgment. But here is a stat that suggests Newman as a top CB, and this was in a year that he was clearly struggling. Imagine how good he was last year.
The beneficiary from bad throws by a quarterback is a very weak argument as to why he is better than Springs. I found your last paragraph interesting, since it is widely acknowledged that the Eagles pass rush was almost non-existant last season, but Sheldon still played very well. I don't know why you used stats from 2004, since Sheldon is still young and is developing. Last season was his breakout season. Brown is just reaching his peak, while Newman's about to pass his prime. The Cowboys secondary, while good enough to get the job done is far from spectacular. Newman is the best coverage guy in the group. Anthony Henry is solid, and Williams is pretty bad in coverage. When you have a link as weak as Keith Davis in your secondary, you know where to throw to. It makes no sense to continually throw against the best DB on a team when you have so many easier options. The Eagles secondary however, is considered the best in football by many. Plenty of teams fear throwing on our safeties, so our cornerbacks have huge responsibilities. Sheldon has a lot more passes thrown at him than Newman does, so I'm not surprised that his % is lower than his. You can't judge how good his play was by that stat. Newman is not shutdown, so stop arguing that he is. Like I have already said, having a player as weak as Keith Davis in your secondary is the easy completion, so that is where it makes the most sense to put the ball. I'm sure I've watched just as many Cowboys and Redskins games as you have, but how many Eagles games have you watched? Sheldon was fantastic last season, and if you had watched many Eagles games, we would not be discussing this right now. Sheldon is a more effective blitzer, and is stout against the run as well. Newman hasn't had to deal with a lack of pass rush like the Eagles had last year, so even considering him better is ridiculous.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:57 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sheldon Brown should be winning this poll, and he's not even beating Lito Sheppard. :shock:
Old 07-24-2006, 10:07 PM    (permalink
CGF 216/137

cowboys are my least hated NFC East rival but Sheldon Brown is still the top CB IMO.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:19 PM    (permalink

Rogers, webster and madison have no bussiness on this poll.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:22 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylor21
He listed every corner in the division. :?

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:24 PM    (permalink
CGF 216/137

Madison is better than henry and i feel he's more consistent than lito, so yes he does deserve to be in the poll.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:25 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151
Quote:
What about aaron glenn, hes in the divison :?
Old 07-24-2006, 10:34 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151
Quote:
What about aaron glenn, hes in the divison :?
Starters. :?

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 07-24-2006, 11:53 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I think that everyone who voted for Lito's votes should be transferred to Sheldons since if they thought he was the best, and Sheldon is plainly better. 25 is a respectable number of votes and I'm ok with that.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:09 AM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Great post, and I agree.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:32 AM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"overrated" is the most over used word in the world. all people ever talk about is how a guy is overrated, yet have no clue what thye are talking about and will say it about any player that people consider to be good.

Lito Sheppard shouldn't have as many votes as he does. Sheldon Brown, although less hyped and does make as many Ints is easily the better player. people should watch the games before they comment.

I didn't see enough of Newman to say he's the best, but everything i've heard says that he probably is. my preferance is Shawn Springs. when he hasn't been hurt, the guy has done real good things. he has played very well in Washington the last 2 years, and is a big part of a top defense. he plays the run, can blitz and can cover. Newman would be my #2 because i didn't see enough Dallas games

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:14 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Lito Sheppard is overrated. j/p

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 07-25-2006, 01:29 AM    (permalink
Jonathan_VIlma
Pro Bowler

Jonathan_VIlma hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It's Shawn Springs. He should've got the contract Smoot got, because Smoot benefitted a lot from Springs.

I like both of Philly's cornerbacks too, even though they got torched this year. They had the best secondary in the NFL for two-three years prior to 06.

Designs by Thule
Jonathan_VIlma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:33 AM    (permalink
moc182
All-Pro

moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.

Anthony Henry is one of the most underrated players in the league. I'd take him, Brown, Springs, in that order.

"A real man makes his own luck." Billy Zane, Titanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmitt Smith
Donít quit, donít even quit.
moc182 is offline   Reply With Quote