Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-13-2007, 03:09 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Does Anthony Henry really need to be replaced?

I have noticed several people talking about replacing Anthony Henry. I am obviously not seeing what these people are seeing.

I think Newman is the type of corner that rarely gets beat, but he is also less likely to make plays on the ball. I will try to justify my thoughts.

Henry seems to me to be the type of corner that makes more plays on the ball and is more aggressive. He does get beat more often than Newman, but I think he makes teams regret throwing to his side of the feild more often than Newman.

Over the past two years, Henry has one more pick and more passes defensed in less games than Newman. He has probably allowed more catches, also. I dont have the stats to back up the catches allowed stat, I am just going by memory.

I think part of the reason for that is Newman is less likely to get beat, so teams throw at Henry more.

I like our corneres, and I am not saying Henry is better than Newman. Just different.

Give me your thoughts.

In conclusion, if we draft a corner, how likely do you think it is that the rookie would start? And does Henry need to be replaced this year, or is he solid.
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:11 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is no reason to replace Henry...now. He isnt moving to FS so that in turn eliminates the need for a CB or atleast a starter. Many people including me were sorta banking on Henry moving to FS, that is before the Hamlin signing of course. This is why I initially wanted us to draft a CB now, I guess BPA is the way to go. Anyway, he doesnt need to be replaced.

Solid? Hardly... he had a horrible season last year. He was picked on and he was picked on a lot... granted he played injured which can be to blame for some of his poor play but, he is nowhere near the player he used to be. You brought up statistics... they mean nothing... Henry will obviously get more tackles as teams primarily throw to his side... As for ints... Newman has less opportunities and is your classic shut down corner. He may not get 10 ints but, you will not find a more effective cover corner in the league. Your not saying that Henry is better than Newman and you shouldnt be... their playing ability is not even remotely close. With all this being said... I think we're fine at CB... Henry is not the fastest but, when healthy he still can be a very effective player. It would be nice to see some depth added to the position and if that comes in the first round in the form of say a Chris Houston... I'd be happy. He/any rookie CB would have zero chance to start this season but, would be a great pick for the future.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:00 AM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I think it's fairer to say that Aaron Glenn needs to be replaced, due to his age. A young CB could come in and contribute right away in nickel situations, and then, depending on how things go this season, take over as the starter in his second year.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:33 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will put it this way: I think Henry is every bit as good a player as Al Harris for the Packers, a guy that Packer fans are constantly trying to foist off as being a top 5 CB in the league, roflmfaogdmf. If it were not for the excellence of Terrence Newman, I think Cowboy fans would have much, much more appreciation for what he brings to the table.

Bill Parcells was very outspoken in proclaiming him as one of our best defensive players, and actually said that he was "by far" our best CB in the first half of 05, before he pulled his hamstring. Yes, he tailed off last year during the stunning collapse, as did quite a few of our players, but he also was very good for the first 10 games, and played better than any of the Pro Bowl CB for the NFC with the possible exception of Ronde Barber. He is an excellent player, and I beleive he has a minimum of 3 more quality years in him before he has to be moved to nickel duty. There is no reason to look at replacing him now, or in the near future. Injuries are my only concern.

This is the reason why I am hesitant to draft a CB in the 1st. Yes, we need a quality player that can contribute this year, and probably take over the nickel next year, but you don't fill that spot with 1st rounders. The only way I would be happy with that is if they absolutely fell in love with a specific guy, and were convinced that he was going to be an All-Pro. That's why I'm leaning much more towards getting Staley, or maybe even going with Grubbs, Blalock, or the best available WR. It's a difficult thing to predict at the present time, and this year would be a great year to trade out of the 1st round and get a future 1st along with another 2nd rounder, similar to what we did with Buffalo in 04. That would be my best case scenario.
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:58 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Henry isn't going to be replaced this year, barring injury.

However, NO player we draft at 22 is a starter from day one. Someone like Jarvis Moss or other OLB might start depending on Ellis' injury, but certainly isn't guaranteed to start.

The key is that Aaron Glenn is in his last year with Dallas, that is undeniable. Henry has been injured in both of his seasons with Dallas, that is undeniable. Henry is approaching an age that his skills could diminish quickly, as often happens at CB in this league.

Neither Nate Jones nor Jaques Reeves instills the fear of god in any opposing offenses so.....CB makes alot of sense. We know for a fact that in 2 years we'll need a new nickel corner, and probably a new starting CB. Why not take the best talent at the position IF and ONLY IF it's good value this year?

OLB - even if Ellis doesn't come back, there is young talent at the position backing him up so drafting an OLB doesn't necessarily equate to an upgrade.

OT - Definitely could go here, but according to the front office last year, we have a young talented LT backing him up, so drafting one isn't necessarily an upgrade.

WR - We definitely need new starters in the next 2 years. Do we have replacements already on the team? Accoding to some, Hurd, Crayton, Austin all could be those guys. Definitely a possibility, but truely needed? not sure...

FS - If we're convinced Watkins or Hamlin will man this position, then not a need, but certainly not a lock to be the case. But, an average S is less of a drawback than an average CB.

The bottom line to me is that CB is one of the major positions that we will need a player or two in the next two years that we don't currently have a suitable replacement on the team. It's also a premium position, so going the FA route is EXTREMELY expensive for this position.

It's like Drafting Starting pitchers in baseball. You can never have too many and 'buying' one in FA is too cost prohibative so you have to develop your own.

CB / QB / LT / OLB are the positions on this team that we can't rely on FA to address. Currently we have young talent at all of those positions except CB, so to me it's a logical pick.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:16 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

dc4life needs more cowbell.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
Henry isn't going to be replaced this year, barring injury.

However, NO player we draft at 22 is a starter from day one. Someone like Jarvis Moss or other OLB might start depending on Ellis' injury, but certainly isn't guaranteed to start.

The key is that Aaron Glenn is in his last year with Dallas, that is undeniable. Henry has been injured in both of his seasons with Dallas, that is undeniable. Henry is approaching an age that his skills could diminish quickly, as often happens at CB in this league.

Neither Nate Jones nor Jaques Reeves instills the fear of god in any opposing offenses so.....CB makes alot of sense. We know for a fact that in 2 years we'll need a new nickel corner, and probably a new starting CB. Why not take the best talent at the position IF and ONLY IF it's good value this year?

OLB - even if Ellis doesn't come back, there is young talent at the position backing him up so drafting an OLB doesn't necessarily equate to an upgrade.

OT - Definitely could go here, but according to the front office last year, we have a young talented LT backing him up, so drafting one isn't necessarily an upgrade.

WR - We definitely need new starters in the next 2 years. Do we have replacements already on the team? Accoding to some, Hurd, Crayton, Austin all could be those guys. Definitely a possibility, but truely needed? not sure...

FS - If we're convinced Watkins or Hamlin will man this position, then not a need, but certainly not a lock to be the case. But, an average S is less of a drawback than an average CB.

The bottom line to me is that CB is one of the major positions that we will need a player or two in the next two years that we don't currently have a suitable replacement on the team. It's also a premium position, so going the FA route is EXTREMELY expensive for this position.

It's like Drafting Starting pitchers in baseball. You can never have too many and 'buying' one in FA is too cost prohibative so you have to develop your own.

CB / QB / LT / OLB are the positions on this team that we can't rely on FA to address. Currently we have young talent at all of those positions except CB, so to me it's a logical pick.
Ginn would probably start as KR/PR from day one :D ! If hes there at 22, that is.
dc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:45 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, a KR / PR isn't a starter on offense or defense. To me, that's what I mean by starter. One of the starting 22 on offense or defense.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote