Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 04-15-2007, 01:30 PM    (permalink
miamichamp_305
Rookie

miamichamp_305 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Dolphins soon will acquire Green

Quote:
The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that Trent Green is expected to be acquired by the Dolphins this week.
Miami is expected to send a second-day draft pick for the veteran, who would become the immediate favorite to start. Daunte Culpepper would then be expected to be released, although we wonder if his injury will make that more complicated.
rotoworld

ESPN also said that the Dolphins and Green basically have a contract put together.

Thoughts?

I think that if this does go down then we are looking at Quinn/Russell in the 1st round, with Green there as insurance in case something happens to Pep (he can't play due to injury, or he just blows), and Quinn/Russell basically sitting out the year and Lemon as the odd man out.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:31 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

good insurance policy

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:33 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we do trade for Green and then Quinn and Russell are gone before our pick we are literally screwed. I'd much rather do this as a draft day trade if at all. I'm really not liking how things are going right now. If the deal is around the $5 million being reported I don't see how we could keep Culpepper. Next year is not gonna be fun that's all I know.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:33 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wouldnt this make you more likely to NOT get russel/quinn? you still would have Daunte behind Green.(or vice versa) i think maybe a guy like Stanton later would help you more and get a guy who can come in and play right away to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:59 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any idea what Miami is giving KC?
Old 04-15-2007, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-RICH49 View Post
Any idea what Miami is giving KC?
6th rounder most likely

Looks like a good chance of Green for now and Edwards drafted and groomed to take over in a year or two time.
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:15 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
wouldnt this make you more likely to NOT get russel/quinn? you still would have Daunte behind Green.(or vice versa) i think maybe a guy like Stanton later would help you more and get a guy who can come in and play right away to help.
No way we keep both Green and Culpepper. One or the other. If we trade for Green then Culpepper is gone. Believe me that if we get Green, it's as a stop gap for a year or two while we develope a guy like Quinn.

We have alot of picks in this draft so odds are that we will get a few guys in the middle rounds that can contribute which means we won't need an instant impact from round 1. This allows us to sit a guy like Quinn if that happens. We have alot of picks this year unlike last year were we only had 3 picks in the 1st 6 rounds.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
If we do trade for Green and then Quinn and Russell are gone before our pick we are literally screwed. I'd much rather do this as a draft day trade if at all. I'm really not liking how things are going right now. If the deal is around the $5 million being reported I don't see how we could keep Culpepper. Next year is not gonna be fun that's all I know.
i've been saying this all along and I've been getting bashed on here for it. Now everything seems to be taking place just like I said it would. If the Green trade goes thru then Culpepper is gone. Frankly, I have no problem with that.

There's no sense is sitting and waiting for Culpepper to recover from an injury that very likely could end his career. There's no guarantees Culpepper ever sees a football field again and he's had setback after setback and still is hurting and months away from being cleared to play. This was a really bad injury and who knows if he can ever play football again. I'd rather take care of everything now and move forward to compete next year then wait on a guy that might never take another NFL snap.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:15 PM    (permalink
Ace
Veteran

Ace needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Green's deal is worth 5 million? Yeah, ok. We aren't going to pay him 5 million. Not even close. And just exactly why are we screwed if we don't end up with Quinn? Did you forget that there are more QB's out there like Stanton, Edwards and Kolb? Just because a QB isn't drafted in the 1st doesn't mean that he's automaticly going to fail.

Last edited by Ace : 04-15-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:13 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I say we just drop this whole Green thing. i liked the idea at first. But I have been attending the minicamps, and although he hasn't participated, we gave up so much for him and I have confidence he will be back. Give him a chance. Why waste draft picks on a guy who won't be here for more than a year or so. Draft Quinn if he is there, but otherwise, draft one in the middle rounds and take a chance on Pep being ready. Green isn't the same quarterback he used to be anyway, who knows if he is any better than Cleo Lemon at this point anyway.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:08 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
I say we just drop this whole Green thing. i liked the idea at first. But I have been attending the minicamps, and although he hasn't participated, we gave up so much for him and I have confidence he will be back. Give him a chance. Why waste draft picks on a guy who won't be here for more than a year or so. Draft Quinn if he is there, but otherwise, draft one in the middle rounds and take a chance on Pep being ready. Green isn't the same quarterback he used to be anyway, who knows if he is any better than Cleo Lemon at this point anyway.
Just because you have confidence he will be back does not mean the team has confidence he will be back. You stated we should take a chance on Pep being ready? Do you not understand that his doctors are not even expected to clear him for training camp?

it's one thing to wait a guy you think will be healthy for the season and just give him some extra time. It's an extirely different situation to sit and wait for a guy that is not expected to be ready for training camp. Even if everything goes according to plan (which so far nothing has gone according to plan in his rehab) he would not be ready to take snap with the offense until somewhere around the middle of preseason if at all.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:31 AM    (permalink
I'mAHustler
Veteran

I'mAHustler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I truly don't understand is how people believe Trent Green is an improvement over Daunte, we are trading for a guy that could be potentially worse then who we have now.

He'll probably end up being a WR or something...
I'mAHustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:48 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
Just because you have confidence he will be back does not mean the team has confidence he will be back. You stated we should take a chance on Pep being ready? Do you not understand that his doctors are not even expected to clear him for training camp?

it's one thing to wait a guy you think will be healthy for the season and just give him some extra time. It's an extirely different situation to sit and wait for a guy that is not expected to be ready for training camp. Even if everything goes according to plan (which so far nothing has gone according to plan in his rehab) he would not be ready to take snap with the offense until somewhere around the middle of preseason if at all.
Where did you see his rehab wasn't on schedule?

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:38 AM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post

Dude it's just my opinion... chill out. I can see you're obviously losing valuable sleep over this. As long as the guy knows the playbook completely and keeps with the offense that Cam is installing, I don't see why he needs to throw a snap before the middle of preseason. Yeah it would be great, and he will probably be rusty come the start of the season, but he is a professional, and a Pro Bowl player, so he will know what to do when he is needed.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:58 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
Dude it's just my opinion... chill out. I can see you're obviously losing valuable sleep over this. As long as the guy knows the playbook completely and keeps with the offense that Cam is installing, I don't see why he needs to throw a snap before the middle of preseason. Yeah it would be great, and he will probably be rusty come the start of the season, but he is a professional, and a Pro Bowl player, so he will know what to do when he is needed.
Your missing the point. That's the earliest doctors say he will be back. He was supposed to be back last season and look how that turned out. It's not like he needed extra time to just finish up some more rehab. He is still halfway thru a full rehab session. One setback and he won't be ready for the season. The way things have gone with him, it's not out of this realm that he's not healthy enough to play all season.

The fact that his knee is still hurting him says it all right there. By this point he sure be feeling fine and just working himself into shape. He shouldn't still be feeling the effects.

Plus, reading the playbook is one thing. Actually going out there and doing it is another.

Asking a guy that has a history of struggling to read defenses to suddenly learn an entire new offense, while rehabbing one of the worst injuries you could have, and thrust him into a starting role just before the season without giving him a chance to work his way back onto a football field after he has missed two full seasons, is a reciepe for disaster. Even if everything goes well from here on out, your still setting him up to fail.

There need to be a QB or two brought in even if we decide to keep Culpepper.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:09 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Where did you see his rehab wasn't on schedule?
Right now he's still within the scheduled rehab period. However the rehab period was between 4-6 months and so far hes 4 and a half months in and he's still got pain in his knee. I'm no doctor but I don't think thats supposed to happen. Daunte has suffered setbacks in just about every set of the process so I'm not expecting this to go as planned when he himself says he still has pain. And even if he does stay on schedule, he will not be ready for training camp. Preseason is the earliest he will be back.

And like I said before, The guy is not known as a study type of QB and has trouble reading defenses. Asking him to learn a new offense, with a new coach while he's rehabbing and then thrusting him in to play after missing two entire seasons is setting him up to fail.

If the coaching staff feeling Culpepper can help them in the future then fine, give him time to properly finish the rehab and let him work with the 2nd team until he gets back into the swing of things and let him get some plays under his belt with the new offense and then play him next season. Don't thrust him back fast this season the way Saban did last year because we already saw what happened there.

I just think many of you are being completely unrealistic in your expectations of the guy. I've heard on here people say a healthy Culpepper is our best option. In his prime he might have been. Right now he's a 30 year old QB under a new system who has not played for 2 years and is coming off a major injury that could affect his play. It's a bad situation for everyone to be in and expecting alot out of him in those conditions is downright dumb.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:10 AM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-NFLDC

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so much for imminent. Peterson wants "Welker" compensation.

http://www.kansascity.com/159/story/73140.html

although i agree completely with peterson about robbing NE for welker, i wouldnt give any more than a 6th rounder for green and if they want more id tell them to find someone else. i understand that cameron and shea really like the guy and all but like everyone has been saying, hes no more of a definite than DC is at this point so why give up more draft picks for an old oft-injured QB, especially when we are in prime position to draft a young QB in the first or second round.

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

we wont give more then a 6th or 7th this year or 5th next most likely. Green wants to come here nowhere else and has a deal pretty much in place. We hold the chips in many respects.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It will be at least a 4th no way you low ball Carl Peterson we have the cap room to just keep Green if need be. I know Green would like to play for Miami but he said he would not say no to a trade to the Browns either he just wants to start.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:36 PM    (permalink
miamichamp_305
Rookie

miamichamp_305 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
It will be at least a 4th no way you low ball Carl Peterson we have the cap room to just keep Green if need be. I know Green would like to play for Miami but he said he would not say no to a trade to the Browns either he just wants to start.
Didn't Green say he wants to play for the Dolphins, and ONLY the Dolphins. Green holds all the chips, no team will trade for him for his current contract and if Green doesn't want to re-work his contract there isn't anything the Chiefs can do. The Dolphins and Trent basically have the deal done, all they need is the compensation.

And there is NO WAY Green is worth anything more than a late 5th round pick, just no way. He is old, recently had some injury issues with that concussion being pretty bad, and on the decline.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:12 PM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
keep him then :)
Old 04-18-2007, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
John Clayton already reported that part of the problem is that KC wants a 5th but Miami doesn't have a 5th this year so they are working on something else. Plus what the hell are we low balling. Carl Peterson is a moron to think he can get a 2nd for Green.

Peterson keeps saying a starting QB is worth "Welker" compensation. But he doesnt realize that Green is not a starting QB. He was a part time guy last year with Huard and he is a line to be their 3rd QB this season if they don't trade him. Where in that equation does he see a starting QB? He's trading his thrid string QB and every team in the NFL knows that which is why they are only offering low picks. Nobody in the NFL pays 7.2 million for a thrid stringer. KC will unloaded him in some way before the season starts and everyone knows that so theres no way you can expect more then a low round pick.