Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 04-19-2007, 04:19 PM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

asmitty45 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Drafting a QB

IMO the Lions should not take a QB in this years draft for a couple reasons.

Firstly, we're not going to be going to the playoffs next year, so Kitna playing for another year isnt the end of the world, like some people take it to be.

Secondly, our main concern should be, and is, on trading down ad maximizing our draft picks this year. If we can pull this ATL deal then we should be in FANTASTIC shape. We need to try to get a first in the 08 draft and if we can we'll have gotten the best of whatever trade it is.

Mainly though, next years crop of QB's is outstanding! Here's a list of QB's who will all draw First Round interest (not in any particular order):

Brian Brohm - Louisville
Chad Henne - Michigan
Eric Ainge - Tennessee
John David Booty - USC
Colt Brennan - Hawai'i
Matt Ryan - Boston College

I believe that Brohm,Henne and Ainge are ALL better prospects than Russell or Quinn. And JDB Brennan and Ryan are all very close in comparison. If we can get another 1st in 08 from this trade, we'll have 2 of them and that would give us the ability, depending on our draft position, to move up to get the guy we want or just stay put and grab whoever falls to us.

I think we should wait till next year and evaluate the larger more talent crop of QB's that will be around.

Thoughts?

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21
asmitty45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:43 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmitty45 View Post
IMO the Lions should not take a QB in this years draft for a couple reasons.

Firstly, we're not going to be going to the playoffs next year, so Kitna playing for another year isnt the end of the world, like some people take it to be.

Secondly, our main concern should be, and is, on trading down ad maximizing our draft picks this year. If we can pull this ATL deal then we should be in FANTASTIC shape. We need to try to get a first in the 08 draft and if we can we'll have gotten the best of whatever trade it is.

Mainly though, next years crop of QB's is outstanding! Here's a list of QB's who will all draw First Round interest (not in any particular order):

Brian Brohm - Louisville
Chad Henne - Michigan
Eric Ainge - Tennessee
John David Booty - USC
Colt Brennan - Hawai'i
Matt Ryan - Boston College

I believe that Brohm,Henne and Ainge are ALL better prospects than Russell or Quinn. And JDB Brennan and Ryan are all very close in comparison. If we can get another 1st in 08 from this trade, we'll have 2 of them and that would give us the ability, depending on our draft position, to move up to get the guy we want or just stay put and grab whoever falls to us.

I think we should wait till next year and evaluate the larger more talent crop of QB's that will be around.

Thoughts?
Brennan is currently considered head and shoulders above Henne as a prospect. And during the small time that he was entered into this years draft averybody had him rated #3 behind Quinn and Russell.

I do agree that we should wait until next year to draft a QB, and if the Lions continue to struggle under Kitna then hopefully we'll be able to see if Orvloski is able to play and Martz can develop him if not then target the QB that you want and go get him.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Notredameleo
Pro Bowler

Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would love for the lions to get Brennan if they dont get a QB this year, which i dont think they will if they dont take Quinn at 2.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Andre Woodson. But I would take Russell or Quinn over any of those guys.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:21 PM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

I want Brohm BADLY, he's a much better QB than either of these guys so i want the two firsts so we can move up and snag him at the top of the draft

fenikz

35-21
Old 04-19-2007, 06:34 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
Andre Woodson. But I would take Russell or Quinn over any of those guys.
completely agree Andre Woodson is very comparable to Russell just more raw talent. I'd take Russell over any of those guys
Old 04-19-2007, 07:21 PM    (permalink
Notredameleo
Pro Bowler

Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IS andre Woodson reallys supposed to be a good prospect next year?
Old 04-19-2007, 09:27 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah i think so i would be surprised if he wasnt a 1st round QB he got a lot of press to in his bowl game a lot of ppl were lovin on him. He's a lot like rusell but with more mobility he's got great arm strength but im not too sure about his accuracy
Old 04-21-2007, 04:27 AM    (permalink
reinar
Rookie

reinar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

if we were to finish in the middle of the pack next year (10-19 pick), who would we take as a QB most likely? or would we take one round 1? if we didnt take one until round 2-3, assuming we dont take stanton/edwards this year in the 2nd/3rd, who do you think we would or could get next year, to fill that rookie learning position?
Old 04-21-2007, 11:41 AM    (permalink
iKNOW

i would take henne or booty. michigan develops QBs. same goes with USC.

but i think the lions should reach for one this year. a mid round pick and see how he develops. IMHO its the weakest area but i dont think russell or quinn are worth taking.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:31 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

i dont want henne or booty both really aren't good. Im a bug UM football fan and henne has a good deep ball but eyes down his targets too much and can't take over a game by himself he needs guys like hart manningham arrington etc around him and he makes way too many poor throws.

Booty is alright but its kinda the same thing he's surounded by great talent and in no way is he elite witht hat talent around him. Plus once you get pressure on either of these QB's they are hopeless
Old 04-21-2007, 01:51 PM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

I dont trust henne but I do like Booty, Woodson would be a good pick up too

fenikz

35-21
Old 04-21-2007, 02:08 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate when people say we shouldn't take a QB because we don't need him 'this year'.. You don't take QB's to play in their first year, in most cases they do terrible... You take a Franchise QB so you don't have to worry about taking one for the next number of years.. If we take Quinn, I'd still expect Jon Kitna to play this season, maybe next.

I also don't buy that Chad Henne and Eric Ainge are better prospects than Quinn OR Russell. I agree that Brian Brohm is up there though. Not better, but he's close.. Quinn has all of the Tools you could want in a QB, even underrated scrambling ability. His problem was that his team wasn't good enough to win big games (no running game/O-line sucked).. and JaMarcus is just a physical freak with a monster arm. I think you might have just said that to convince yourself that we didn't need to take Quinn/Russell this year.

Last edited by WMD : 04-21-2007 at 02:13 PM.
WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:14 PM    (permalink
mgoblue
Rookie

mgoblue hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I hope we dont take a qb this year, but not because i dont think we need one i just think quinn will be a bust and im not that sold on russell.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:29 PM    (permalink
JPLUFF
Veteran

JPLUFF hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
I hate when people say we shouldn't take a QB because we don't need him 'this year'.. You don't take QB's to play in their first year, in most cases they do terrible... You take a Franchise QB so you don't have to worry about taking one for the next number of years.. If we take Quinn, I'd still expect Jon Kitna to play this season, maybe next.

I also don't buy that Chad Henne and Eric Ainge are better prospects than Quinn OR Russell. I agree that Brian Brohm is up there though. Not better, but he's close.. Quinn has all of the Tools you could want in a QB, even underrated scrambling ability. His problem was that his team wasn't good enough to win big games (no running game/O-line sucked).. and JaMarcus is just a physical freak with a monster arm. I think you might have just said that to convince yourself that we didn't need to take Quinn/Russell this year.
Thank you...someone needed to say it.

The team is in no position to make the playoffs next season as it is. Of course I based this more on their strength of schedule than on talent. I also hope we don't take a QB in Round 1 but if that ends up happening, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. As was stated above, Quinn has everything you look for in terms of pedigree and intangibles, and Russell has tremendous upside. Let either one rest on the bench for a season (I'd prefer Quinn, I'm not gonna lie), learn the system and maybe even give them a few garbage starts towards the end of the season. Whatever ends up happening won't be terrible for this team.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Jagonsucker
Rookie

Jagonsucker needs more cowbell.

I just see Quinn as the next Harrington..i dont want him
Jagonsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is no doubt that both Matt Millen and the Detroit fan base is gun shy about drafting another QB, who can blame them after our miserable scouting department has drafted a # of previous flops. However, I'm from the school which believes you have to keep trying till you get it right or your franchise is doomed anyways. San Diego didn't let Leaf stop them from trying again with Rivers and Cincy didn't stop trying after Akili Smith with Carson Palmer. Sooner or later, you get it right and your team is set for a decade as a serious Super Bowl contender. If you quite trying, you have a very low % of ever being much of a team. We haven't had a franchise QB since Layne, that's a heck of a long time and I think it clearly shows why we haven't been a serious Super Bowl contender since he played for us.
Whose to say Quinn cannot start in his rookie year? Everybody said Young couldn't possibly start but he did and almost got Tennessee into the playoffs. Leinart and Cutler both got to start as rookies. Quinn is far more advanced than anybody except maybe Leinart with understanding a pro offense. He played under Weis for 2 years in a pro set. I think he will adjust quickly to pro ball. JMO!

P.S. Out of the last 6 Super Bowl winners, 5 has superior QB's. Just maybe it's time to get one on our team after close to 50 years of looking.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:39 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Whose to say Quinn cannot start in his rookie year? Everybody said Young couldn't possibly start but he did and almost got Tennessee into the playoffs. Leinart and Cutler both got to start as rookies. Quinn is far more advanced than anybody except maybe Leinart with understanding a pro offense. He played under Weis for 2 years in a pro set. I think he will adjust quickly to pro ball. JMO!
Well, I'm not saying he couldn't start his rookie year.. I was just saying that I wouldn't expect him to.. teams usually have a Veteran to hold the team over until the Rookie is ready.. or until the Veteran stinks up the place and the team is forced to start the Rookie.. That happened last year with Warner/Leinart, Collins/Young, and Plummer/Cutler.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:43 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post

i completely agree i just do not liek Quinn at all i believe he is a system QB and think weis rly made him what he was in college also his stats are overrated because he only played 2 good teams all year. I would like russell thoufgh if he is there.

Overall i would much rather them draft stanton in the third. I think he has just as much skill as both russell and Quinn. I think he will be a good player in the NFL and would love to take him and give him a year or two behind Kitna and working with Martz.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:54 PM    (permalink
iKNOW

my thoughts on this year's top 2 QBs.

russell ate himself to 265. its not really the weight but where he packed it on. there were a couple of pictures of him and it was all in the mid section. questions about desire come into play as the combine is the single most important event for a NFL prospect. how will he handle challenges after the fat contract - will he just quit if it gets tough?

as for quinn, the loss to LSU is on him. he had a terrible game and seems like the speed of the defense threw him off. that spells trouble since the NFL will be just like that, if not worse. he didnt play all that well in the michigan either which features several NFL prospects. harrington seemed like a better prospect coming out of college.

i think there are other players to take with less probability of being a bust and still fills a need.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:04 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quinns a great Qb against teams like Navy but once he plays a decent team he does nothing look at his games vs USC UM or LSU. Sure some of it had to do with what he had on offense but i dont like him as a prospect at all.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:45 PM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
Quinns a great Qb against teams like Navy but once he plays a decent team he does nothing look at his games vs USC UM or LSU. Sure some of it had to do with what he had on offense but i dont like him as a prospect at all.
I couldnt agree more Quinn was terrible in every big game he played in his whole career.

As for JaMarcus his major problems are some that have given the best prospects coming out of school major problems. He relies far too much on his arm. While he does have an absolute cannon, he has atrocious footwork, he tends to just sling the ball out there and it often leads to him overthrowing his recievers. That was just in college and if he doesnt fix that immediately he's in for some serious interception trouble.

The best comparison is Eli Manning, while manning's arm may not be as good, he has the same problems with throwing off his back foot and throwing right over his recievers head into the teeth of the defense.

If JaMarcus can fix that problem he could be an absolute stud but id rather wait for a guy like Brohm who has, outside of health problems, no real glaring concerns. Now we will have to surrender a lot to get Brohm but i think he is more than worth it and i like him in this offense far more than either of these two QB's.

fenikz

35-21
Old 04-22-2007, 07:54 PM    (permalink
Mythos
Rookie

Mythos hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
i completely agree i just do not liek Quinn at all i believe he is a system QB and think weis rly made him what he was in college also his stats are overrated because he only played 2 good teams all year. I would like russell thoufgh if he is there.

Overall i would much rather them draft stanton in the third. I think he has just as much skill as both russell and Quinn. I think he will be a good player in the NFL and would love to take him and give him a year or two behind Kitna and working with Martz.
I wonder how long it would take Stanton to transition to Martz's offense.
Mythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:22 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have never seen a QB who was drafted top 5 not get criticized by gurus and amateur mockers prior to the draft. From Payton to Young, Leinart and Cutler, everyone of them was constantly criticized for their so called weaknesses and labeled a possible flop. People just seem to forget that these guys have tremendous strengths as well and that is why they are ranked so high. A lot of people criticize the top picks prior to the draft for their moment of glory so they can say 'I told you so' if they flop. You never hear from them again if they succeed and most of them since 2000 have had great success. In fact since 2000 QB has had one of the lowest flop rates of all drafting positions in round 1. I'd say that Russell and Quinn have about a 80% chance to turnout as franchise QB's, 15% chance to be average QB's and about a 5%chance to be flops. Just remember Vince Young last year, nobody would have predicted he would be rookie of the year and lead his team to an 8-5 record once he started. All you ever heard was about his weaknesses prior to the draft and how long it would be before he could even start.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:15 AM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
From Payton to Young, Leinart and Cutler.
It's Peyton.

I just dont like any of the QB's in this draft, thats the end all and be all of this. I want to wait till we find a QB who is great for our system (Brohm/Ainge) and not half ass the most important position in the game.

fenikz

35-21