Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-16-2006, 02:22 PM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

KBear hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Of course I will say the Bears have the best DLine, because they are my team,but if I would not consider them, then I like the Panthers and Falcons Dlines, and I love the Jags DTs.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:25 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
I'm not denying the fact that the Colts defense gets help from the offense, just the opinion that they get more help from their offense than other defenses do from theirs. As for failing in games that matter, the Colts never seem to have a problem with the Broncos. They wouldn't have had a problem with the Steelers if they hadn't been on a 35 day hiatus prior to the game either.
excuses and a shot at the donkeys... boy, i'm convinced. :roll:

and come on. do you really believe that having one of the best offenses in the HISTORY of the nfl isn't a bigger advantage for the colts than having the third worst offense in the nfl in chicago? are you serious?
I don't recall saying that the Colts defense is better than the Bears defense, and I'd like you to show me where I did. Since when is a combination of logic and facts "excuses"? Fact: The Steelers scored 14 of their 21 points on their first 3 drives. Fact: The Colts outscored the Steelers 18-7 after the first quarter, and 15-0 in the 4th quarter. Fact: The Colts had shut down this same offense earlier in the season. All of that corrolates with my conclusion that the 35 day hiatus had a great deal to do with the Colts not winning the game.
That and the Colts don't play exceptionally well coming from behind. That is how you beat the Colts. Get up by 10 early. Then you run the ball right down their throat and you can eat up huge chunks of time of possesion because no one can stop the run on that team. Brings me back to Freeney. They Steelers ran right at him that whole game and it worked.

Let's not forget how San Diego occasionally used that to their advantage as well. As soon as the ball was snapped Freeney was 5 yards down the field, and was way out of position to stop the run. I was so mad at that, I actually wanted to see an undefeated team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:59 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Bears
2. Patriots
3. Panthers
4. Vikings
5. Pittsburgh
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:21 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not denying the fact that the Colts defense gets help from the offense, just the opinion that they get more help from their offense than other defenses do from theirs. As for failing in games that matter, the Colts never seem to have a problem with the Broncos. They wouldn't have had a problem with the Steelers if they hadn't been on a 35 day hiatus prior to the game either.

and come on. do you really believe that having one of the best offenses in the HISTORY of the nfl isn't a bigger advantage for the colts than having the third worst offense in the nfl in chicago? are you serious?
I don't recall saying that the Colts defense is better than the Bears defense, and I'd like you to show me where I did. Since when is a combination of logic and facts "excuses"? Fact: The Steelers scored 14 of their 21 points on their first 3 drives. Fact: The Colts outscored the Steelers 18-7 after the first quarter, and 15-0 in the 4th quarter. Fact: The Colts had shut down this same offense earlier in the season. All of that corrolates with my conclusion that the 35 day hiatus had a great deal to do with the Colts not winning the game.
That and the Colts don't play exceptionally well coming from behind. That is how you beat the Colts. Get up by 10 early. Then you run the ball right down their throat and you can eat up huge chunks of time of possesion because no one can stop the run on that team. Brings me back to Freeney. They Steelers ran right at him that whole game and it worked.
enough said.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:45 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you know anything about the Colts? Honestly, do you? Because if you do, you certianly don't display it. The Colts don't play well from behind? Is that why they beat the Buccaneers in 2003 after being down by 21 with 4 minutes left? Is that why Peyton Manning is at or near the top of the league in career 4th quarter game tying or game winning drives, and comeback wins? It's also extremely evident that you didn't watch that game AT ALL, because it was the Steelers' passing game that got them up early, and it was their run game that almost wound up costing them the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCybulski
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let's not forget how San Diego occasionally used that to their advantage as well. As soon as the ball was snapped Freeney was 5 yards down the field, and was way out of position to stop the run. I was so mad at that, I actually wanted to see an undefeated team.
Let's not forget how the Colts sat 3-4 defensive starters in that game, all of which could have played if it was a must win game. I know it's unfortunate, but the Colts really didn't care about the undefeated season.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

enough said.
Sure, if you want to look like you don't know what you're talking about.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:47 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

how many come from behind wins did the colts have last season, exactly?
Old 08-16-2006, 10:59 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
vs. Jaguars (4th quarter comeback)
vs. Rams

So two. Not the most in the league, but certainly not the least.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
Old 08-16-2006, 11:06 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
vs. Rams

the jags, who put a whopping three points and had an incredibly average rushing attack and a rams team with no power running game (barely any running game, averaging 96 yards per game) and a 6 point lead going into the third? what does this prove about their defense's ability to play from behind?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:28 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
vs. Rams

the jags, who put a whopping three points and had an incredibly average rushing attack and a rams team with no power running game (barely any running game, averaging 96 yards per game) and a 6 point lead going into the third? what does this prove about their defense's ability to play from behind?
They were down by much more than 6 points in the Rams game, but I suppose that doesn't count because the offense made up some of that ground before halftime? I also suppose the Jaguars game doesn't count as a comeback win because it was only a 3 point defecit? Don't raise your standards just because I proved you wrong.

Quote:
Old 08-16-2006, 11:38 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
vs. Rams

They were down by much more than 6 points in the Rams game, but I suppose that doesn't count because the offense made up some of that ground before halftime? I also suppose the Jaguars game doesn't count as a comeback win because it was only a 3 point defecit? Don't raise your standards just because I proved you wrong.
they were down by 17 after one quarter, 6 after 2, up 4 after 3 and up 25 before an irrelevant rams score at the end.

so wow... yeah. a team that didn't really run the ball and doesn't have a power game, and a team without much of any offense to speak of that was up by 3?

sorry, these are not impressive.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:45 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
vs. Rams

they were down by 17 after one quarter, 6 after 2, up 4 after 3 and up 25 before an irrelevant rams score at the end.

so wow... yeah. a team that didn't really run the ball and doesn't have a power game, and a team without much of any offense to speak of that was up by 3?

That's what I mean about raising your standards when I proved you wrong. First you want comeback wins. Then, when I give you comeback wins, you want "impressive" comeback wins.

Quote:
Old 08-16-2006, 11:46 PM    (permalink
Easy

Dam, your avatar name should be changed from "Veteran" to "Homer."
Old 08-16-2006, 11:54 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy
When have the arguments I've presented not been based in fact?

Quote:
Old 08-17-2006, 12:05 AM    (permalink
Easy

Quote:
Quote:
Every thread lately that has dealt with the best at something, guess what your answer has been to every one? Yep, you got it, whoever plays for the Colts.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:11 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Every thread lately that has dealt with the best at something, guess what your answer has been to every one? Yep, you got it, whoever plays for the Colts.
Can someone please quote the post where I said the Colts' DL was the best? I don't think I ever did, so I'll need to be proven wrong before I believe that I did. As for best QB, the Colts do have that. That's pretty much the only time I said any player on the Colts was the best in the NFL.

Quote:
Old 08-17-2006, 05:25 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
vs. Rams

That's what I mean about raising your standards when I proved you wrong. First you want comeback wins. Then, when I give you comeback wins, you want "impressive" comeback wins.
not true. you were talking about how peyton had all these come from behind wins that proved that the colts were really good at playing from behind. i asked for recent examples. neither was a worthwhile, representative example of the colts coming from behind because of the play of their defense. i've moved back to the original point in the conversation, if you hadn't noticed.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
vs. Rams

not true. you were talking about how peyton had all these come from behind wins that proved that the colts were really good at playing from behind. i asked for recent examples. neither was a worthwhile, representative example of the colts coming from behind because of the play of their defense. i've moved back to the original point in the conversation, if you hadn't noticed.
In case you were unaware, those still count as comeback wins, whether you think they're "unimpressive" or not. You want impressive, how about a 21 point comeback in the span of 4 minutes, something that has never happened in NFL history, save once, when the Colts did it against the defending champions on the road in 2003. I suppose that doesn't count because it was in 2003? Also, the Jaguars game is a great example of the defense keeping the Colts in a game. Sure, it was only 3 points, but Peyton Manning had the worst game of his career. Had that been defenses of the recent past for the Colts, the Jaguars' lead would have been much larger in the 4th quarter. The 2005 Colts' defense, however, held them in check and gave the offense oppurtunity after oppurtunity to break through, which they eventually did en route to the 10-3 win. It would not have been possible without the outstanding play of the defense though.

Quote:
Old 08-17-2006, 08:52 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

do you even read, or are you in such a rush to defend your precious ponies that you forget to bother arguing anything? when the hell did i say it wasn't a comeback win? i said it was a terrible example in relation to this argument. both were.

the jags offense was awful. we're debating the effectiveness of the colts run defense in a game like the steelers game, in which the other team attempted to shove the ball down their throat. you have yet to give me a positive example of any time the colts shut down a team with a good running attack.

but hey, when you're done skimming this, whine and cry about how i won't give the colts any credit for comeback wins that have no bearing on the argument at hand. remember that one? the one you're still not winning?
Old 08-18-2006, 12:12 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
do you even read, or are you in such a rush to defend your precious ponies that you forget to bother arguing anything? when the hell did i say it wasn't a comeback win? i said it was a terrible example in relation to this argument. both were.

the jags offense was awful. we're debating the effectiveness of the colts run defense in a game like the steelers game, in which the other team attempted to shove the ball down their throat. you have yet to give me a positive example of any time the colts shut down a team with a good running attack.

but hey, when you're done skimming this, whine and cry about how i won't give the colts any credit for comeback wins that have no bearing on the argument at hand. remember that one? the one you're still not winning?
Oh, so you're still clinging to the false notion that the Steelers' run game is what won them that game?

Tell me, how did the Steelers score their first two TDs of the game? How many points did they score after the first quarter? How many points did they allow after the first quarter? How did they give the ball back to the Colts to attempt their final drive?

If you answer these questions correctly, you'll realize just how "effective" the Steelers' run game was in that game, and how "poorly" the Colts' run defense performed in it.

Quote:
Old 08-18-2006, 08:08 AM    (permalink
randymoss18
Rookie

randymoss18 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

giants
randymoss18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:13 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:

Oh, so you're still clinging to the false notion that the Steelers' run game is what won them that game?

Tell me, how did the Steelers score their first two TDs of the game? How many points did they score after the first quarter? How many points did they allow after the first quarter? How did they give the ball back to the Colts to attempt their final drive?

If you answer these questions correctly, you'll realize just how "effective" the Steelers' run game was in that game, and how "poorly" the Colts' run defense performed in it.

so they had nearly 9 more minutes of posession because their passing game was so effective? are you kidding? you don't think their running game was effective because of a single, unforced bettis fumble? take off the blue and white glasses man. jesus.

let me guess... next you're going to say something obnoxious along the lines of "well they only had 112 rushing yards! that means we were awesome!!!!!" spare me. they ran (not counting roethlisberger's 5 "carries"), 37 for 115 yards. that's a lot of clock eating. as evidenced by the time of posession.

the steelers ran the ball down the colts throat, over and over, and really should have won the game 28-18 if bettis hadn't dropped the ball on the ground.

oh... right. lastly, you'll probably say something about how few yards the steelers got. steelers fans correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't recall anyone calling this a dynamic rushing attack. they shoved the ball down your throat, and you couldn't stop them. the fact that they converted two 4th downs by running the ball straight at you confirms that. if that defensive line had had any guts, they would've stopped at least one of those, and more so since both were in the 4th quarter when indy was very much still in the game.

please, keep trying to prove to me that indy's d-line is even marginally effective against the run. this is getting to be fairly entertaining.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Jags#7
Veteran

Jags#7 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I gotta say i like the Patriots DL

DE Richard Seymour
DT-Vince Wilfork
DE Ty Warren

It is solid at every position

Jags is in the top 5.....the problem is that the have 2 elite DT, 1 very good DE and 1 average DE (paul spicer)....if we had trevor price or someone like that there i would say jags are #1

Sig thanks to Tobzilla
Jags#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:14 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

so they had nearly 9 more minutes of posession because their passing game was so effective? are you kidding? you don't think their running game was effective because of a single, unforced bettis fumble? take off the blue and white glasses man. jesus.

let me guess... next you're going to say something obnoxious along the lines of "well they only had 112 rushing yards! that means we were awesome!!!!!" spare me. they ran (not counting roethlisberger's 5 "carries"), 37 for 115 yards. that's a lot of clock eating. as evidenced by the time of posession.

the steelers ran the ball down the colts throat, over and over, and really should have won the game 28-18 if bettis hadn't dropped the ball on the ground.

oh... right. lastly, you'll probably say something about how few yards the steelers got. steelers fans correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't recall anyone calling this a dynamic rushing attack. they shoved the ball down your throat, and you couldn't stop them. the fact that they converted two 4th downs by running the ball straight at you confirms that. if that defensive line had had any guts, they would've stopped at least one of those, and more so since both were in the 4th quarter when indy was very much still in the game.

please, keep trying to prove to me that indy's d-line is even marginally effective against the run. this is getting to be fairly entertaining.
I don't think their running game was effective, because not only was it NOT the reason they won the game, but it almost WAS the reason they lost the game, and you'd know that had you answered the questions I gave you instead of ignoring them. Unforced Bettis fumble? Yeah, I suppose Gary Brackett's helmet hitting the football squarely had NOTHING to do with that fumble. :roll: So, you're saying 3.1 YPC is a good average? Seems like a pretty low average to me, since league average is about 4.1. So what if they converted 2 4th downs? Did it really matter in the end? Considering the Colts had 2 more possessions in which they had the ability to tie the game after that, which is what the Steelers were trying to avoid by going for those 2 4th downs, I don't think it mattered too much. Go back and answer the questions I posed to you in my last post, and once you do, maybe we can continue this argument with both of us having an understanding of what happened in that game instead of just one.

Quote:
Old 08-18-2006, 12:24 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think their running game was effective, because not only was it NOT the reason they won the game, but it almost WAS the reason they lost the game, and you'd know that had you answered the questions I gave you instead of ignoring them. Unforced Bettis fumble? Yeah, I suppose Gary Brackett's helmet hitting the football squarely had NOTHING to do with that fumble. :roll: So, you're saying 3.1 YPC is a good average? Seems like a pretty low average to me, since league average is about 4.1. So what if they converted 2 4th downs? Did it really matter in the end? Considering the Colts had 2 more possessions in which they had the ability to tie the game after that, which is what the Steelers were trying to avoid by going for those 2 4th downs, I don't think it mattered too much. Go back and answer the questions I posed to you in my last post, and once you do, maybe we can continue this argument with both of us having an understanding of what happened in that game instead of just one.

What he means is that it was 37 carries, and that eats the clock up a fair bit. And converting on fourth down obviosuly DOES mean something. It means the Colts couldn't stop them when they needed to. And come on, you know that if that play happened 100 times, Bettis might have fumbled just once or twice more. That was some luck they had there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:31 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

:roll:

two touchdowns through the air (the gamewinner was on the ground, but you didn't ask, so it must've been an irrelevant part of the game, right?).

7 (the 7 that won the game).

what's funny is that you don't understand football well enough to understand that those two facts make my argument stronger. not to mention the fact that you'd rather just talk louder in the hopes that SOMEONE will come to your rescue and say SOMETHING that makes the colts defensive line look like it can actually stop a determined power running game.

they scored two quick touchdowns. then, they ground out the rest of the clock time. this is called, winning the game with the run. what are you trying to prove here? that the colts couldn't stop the pass in the first quarter but they stopped the run so well after that that they couldn't ever seem to get the ball back? that the time of posession difference all occured in the first quarter when the steelers were throwing monster 6 and 7 yard touchdown passes? that you don't have the first clue about how a running team uses short runs to wear down a defense and control the ball (which they did to the tune of 9 extra minutes of possession)?

tell me, how the running game didn't win them that game, when it a) kept the colts team off the field for almost an entire quarter's worth of play and b) scored the winning touchdown? is it because the colts d-line was so superb in getting the colts the ball back? was it because bettis coughed the ball up for only the second time all year (which is, surprisingly, NOT indicative of a strong run defense in this case)? maybe it's because you really won that game and no one noticed?

how do the 4th downs matter?!?!?! YOU WERE BEHIND IN THE GAME AT THAT POINT. do you think dungy told the defense to just go out and let the steelers convert? YOU ABSOLUTELY FAILED TO STOP THEM IN TWO KEY SITUATIONS. period. endc of discussion. full stop. your defensive line was nto up to the task of stopping the steelers run game that day.

*yawn*

does ignorance actually hurt, or is it more of a dull ache?