Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 04-20-2007, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Mel Kiper expects Atlanta to trade up;

Quote:
Trading up an option for Falcons

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 04/20/07

With the NFL draft eight days away, ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. expects the Falcons to be movers and shakers in the early portion of the draft.

The Falcons hold the eighth pick after moving up two spots in the Matt Schaub trade with Houston.

"The Atlanta Falcons have an option," Kiper said. "They are eighth. Do they move up to No. 2 to try to get Calvin Johnson? If Atlanta could get him, it would be one of the coups of the draft."

Kiper believes Johnson, a wide receiver he has rated as the top player in the draft, would help quarterback Michael Vick and the Falcons' offense.

"Michael Vick on third down, he's errant with his throws or he has throws dropped," Kiper said. "Either way, it's a drive-killer. ... If they had Calvin Johnson, a big target with the hands and the skill level, all of sudden that would help out that offense dramatically for [coach] Bobby Petrino."

The problem is that Johnson could go No. 1 to Oakland. If not, Tampa Bay, which has the fourth pick, might move up to No. 2 to get Johnson.

"If the Falcons stay put at No. 8, LSU safety LaRon Landry may not be available," Kiper said. "You know for a fact that the Washington Redskins want out of [the No. 6 pick]. They want to trade out of there. ... They have no second-, third- or fourth-round picks. They want to try to recoup choices. If you're Atlanta, you can possibly go from eight to six and guarantee the acquisition of LaRon Landry."

If the Falcons don't move up, they still have a viable option.

"If you're stuck at eight and Landry is gone, then you maybe look at the left tackle from Penn State, Levi Brown," Kiper said.
Interesting.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:55 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Yeah, we definitely could do it, and to be honest I don't know what I want anymore, I just want this franchise to turn around and get out of this never winning back to back seasons ya know? I'm tired of wishy washy, and even if it is another 7-9 season that's fine, as long as we see good progress as the season goes on...if we start out slow I can understand that, but I want to finish really strong and feel good going into next off season instead of like this one feeling like we have countless holes to fill.

I know we all want the quick fix with multi picks and that could be great, but getting CJ could be great as well...It's not going to be an over night transition and if that means we take 2 years to get there that's fine, as long as we have the players to build around. If our coaching staff feels that CJ is going to help us, and we will still be able to address other issues that plague this team that's fine, but I don't want to be stuck in this forever.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:07 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

It doesn't actually say that Kiper expects them to move up, just that it is an option. Which it clearly is. Like most things in life, it will depend on the price. Frankly, I'd back McKay in a negotiation against Millen. On the other hand, another buyer (eg. TB) would change the trade dynamic altogether. Only a week to wait...
Old 04-20-2007, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Technically speaking; Atlanta has more ammunition than just about anybody. The only problem is the Buccaneers have more. I have a feeling this could come down to a intra-division bidding war, where neither side wants the other rival to get Calvin Johnson.

Imagine if Atlanta ends up trading #8, #39, #44, and Houston's '08 2nd round pick, to get Calvin Johnson. That would be tantamount to trading Matt Schaub, and a 2nd round pick, to get up for Calvin Johnson. I don't think that's all that bad, once I thought about it. To get the composite top graded player in the past ten, or more, years. Then the team would still have a 3rd round pick, and three 4th round draft picks. Which could be used to add role players and depth.

Last edited by Shiver : 04-20-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:18 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Yeah, I agree again Shiver, that's what I was trying to argue on AFMB. But I see both sides of the argument. Having to give out 2 2nd round picks (which in this draft I feel like has more value than most years) plus giving up one of our 2nds next year, I dunno, I REALLY want CJ, but this team is so far away from a championship I am not sure if he can fix us, although I am certain he would sustain more drives on offense thus making our defense better. I really just don't know, but I am VERY excited about this year's draft, last year I just kinda knew going into it we would come out with not a lot to show. We got Jimmy who didn't play, and Norwood who got the shaft on playtime.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:42 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

The key would be the nail the 4th round picks. If you add decent role players at DE, RB, DB, and a solid O-Tackle at #75, along with Calvin Johnson, then that would be great.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:27 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Yeah, I really think that in the 4th / 5th rounds Brandon Frye is going to be an incredible LT in the NFL. He's my top choice behind Joe Thomas and Joe Staley...

The things I would hate to miss out on are on the Safetys...Aaron Rouse...Reggie Nelson...Eric Weddle etc. So if we could get one of them @ 75 then I think with the 3 4ths we could land Brandon Frye...a DE...and a RB (Michael Bush hopefully)
Old 04-20-2007, 10:30 PM    (permalink
MP123
Veteran

MP123 smells like sex panther.

I think the Falcons are making a mistake if they trade up and get Calvin Johnson.
MP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:38 PM    (permalink
TRJ997
Rookie

TRJ997 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post

Imagine if Atlanta ends up trading #8, #39, #44, and Houston's '08 2nd round pick, to get Calvin Johnson. That would be tantamount to trading Matt Schaub, and a 2nd round pick, to get up for Calvin Johnson.
I've heard this logic a few times, and I don't buy into it. Trading all of that would actually be like using a high first, 2 high seconds, and a second next year for a WR. I don't think any GM in their right mind would trade 4 potential impact starters for 1 WR. This trade would cost ATL wins.

Just because ATL fleeced Houston for Schaub doesn't mean they should let DET fleece them even worse.
TRJ997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:47 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

If we trade up, I want it to be for Laron Landry. Something similar to my deal in the forum mock, i.e the 3rd round pick to move up to Washington's 6th spot.

Last edited by Shiver : 04-20-2007 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:52 PM    (permalink
LionSmack
Veteran

LionSmack hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP123 View Post
I think the Falcons are making a mistake if they trade up and get Calvin Johnson.
shh. quiet
LionSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:05 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I really think Landry will be there at 8, it's all just BS trying to get us to waste picks. Landry will be there at eight, and if he's not, then we're fine anyway, because he's not the FS we need on this team for coverage. He would be a great enforcer to take over for Milloy though.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:28 AM    (permalink
Gert T

"Kiper believes Johnson, a wide receiver he has rated as the top player in the draft, would help quarterback Michael Vick and the Falcons' offense."

Excellent work Melvin. Probably took a long time to get to that conclusion. Not a Falcons fan, and 2 2nd rounders is big, but it just depends if you think CJ can take you to the next level. If the Falcons think he is a slam dunk then you go for it.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hopefully we could keep one of the 2nd rounders, and come out of the draft with CJ, Ben Grubbs/Brandon Meriweather and Michael Bush. I would love that.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:42 PM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Kiper believes Johnson, a wide receiver he has rated as the top player in the draft, would help quarterback Michael Vick and the Falcons' offense.
that's inside info right there
Old 04-22-2007, 03:10 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Insight that only Mel Kiper Jr. could provide....

Alright, now that I've thought about it. I could see the team trading up, I really could. But they won't throw the kitchen sink at Detroit, for Calvin Johnson. I do think they could make a play for Laron Landry or Joe Thomas, though. At a much more reasonable price point. That's my take.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:08 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

If Arizona do really decide that they prefer Brown to Thomas, then I could see us swapping picks with them to grab Thomas. On the other hand, if they prefer Brown, perhaps we do too. Very much the eye of the beholder.

As to CJ, I really don't want to give up that much for him. Getting impact players in the 3rd and 4th is far too speculative a gamble. This team needs numerous good young players, not just one more star. Would Calvin improve our team? Yes. But I don't think he would improve it more than a franchise LT, not to mention the numerous other first day picks.

Look at the closest parallels to CJ in recent years, Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson. Both are great receivers, who will be perennial pro-bowlers. Both put up great numbers. But both are prevented from winning games for their team, due to poor O-lines (and shoddy defences).

I don't think we should trade up with WAS either. If Landry is there at #8, great. If not, then Okoye, Brown or Peterson will be. It could actually be argued, for various reasons, that any of those could be a better pick than Landry. Regardless, there is no reason to waste a 1st day pick moving up, when we can sit at 8 and get just as good a player.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:51 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Insight that only Mel Kiper Jr. could provide....

Alright, now that I've thought about it. I could see the team trading up, I really could. But they won't throw the kitchen sink at Detroit, for Calvin Johnson. I do think they could make a play for Laron Landry or Joe Thomas, though. At a much more reasonable price point. That's my take.
I could absolutely see the Falcons trading up with Washington to move ahead of Minnesota, ensuring themselves Laron Landry. If PFW's report that members of the Cardinals coaching staff (Russ Grimm included I believe) prefer Levi Brown over Joe Thomas is actually true, then that's going to make things interesting as they might be willing to trade down a few spots and allow a team like the Falcons or the Dolphins the chance to draft Joe Thomas.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:53 PM    (permalink
ksfalconsfan

I agree with staying at 8, because there are going to be great players available at 8, and possbly we could fill another need there, like DT, LT, or RB, and pick a safety in the second, since safeties nearly always end up dropping in the draft for one reason or another.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:55 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

I've been talking about this quite a lot recently - mainly because I'm excited about the prospect of finally having a franchise LT - but it would actually make sense for Grimm and Whiz to prefer Levi over Thomas. He's much more of a Steeler-type roadgrader, and his technical imperfections would be overcome by one of the best O-line coaches in the business.

But here's a thought: if Whiz/Grimm's power offense prefers Brown over Thomas, could Petrino also prefer Brown? This could get interesting...
Old 04-22-2007, 01:37 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Yeah, that's true D-Rod we want a road grader system implemented. But I think Thomas is the supreme LT in this draft and would be a HUGE HUGE HUGE pickup for us.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:35 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Levi Brown is interesting. Some people have him as a top-10 grade, and love him. While others have him in the twenties. With our scheme transition, I wouldn't discount he is the player the team is targeting, while sending out smoke screens about how enamored they are with trading up for Calvin Johnson, or taking Laron Landry.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:37 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I agree with you again Shiv, but I think Willis is in consideration as well, but then again, they said Brooking looked good in the Middle, and I think he can have a great impact there.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:09 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

I'd be amazed if Willis chat was any more than a smokescreen. I've explained why before...

As for Brown, I think it is interesting that there has been absolutely no mention of him whatsoever. In fact, the only time McKay was asked about Brown on Sirius, he totally dodged the question. There's also been little chat about Thomas. Yet it is clear that we need an LT...However, if we think we can spot a smokescreen, then so can NFL GMs, so perhaps it is a double bluff.

There's little way to tell, but generally I agree Shiver, I think that we would rate Brown more highly than a lot of other teams, simply as an emphatic shift to a new power system. We shall see. Just five days to go now...