Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-20-2007, 07:38 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The Forum Mock Thread

Hey I am the GM of the Cowboys in the FM. Just curious to see if anyone has any input on what has happened.

22 - Ted Ginn Jr, WR, Ohio State
53 - Tank Tyler, NT, NC State
87 - Andy Alleman, OG, Akron
*107 - Brian Robison, DE/OLB, Texas
122 - Usama Young, CB, Kent State
159 - Dustin Fry, C, Clemson
195 - Dedrick Harrington, ILB, Missouri
200 - David Ball, WR, New Hampshire
212 - Melvin Bullitt, S, Texas A&M
218 - Corey Graham, CB, New Hampshire
234 - Andrew Carnahan, OT, ASU

*Trade
Patrick Crayton to the Texans for pick 107 and 218.
Sean Suisham for pick 237

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty

Last edited by thule : 04-27-2007 at 05:31 AM.
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:40 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Hey I am the GM of the Cowboys in the FM. Just curious to see if anyone has any input on what has happened.

22 - Ted Ginn Jr, WR, Ohio State
53 - Tank Tyler, NT, NC State
87 - Andy Alleman, OG, Akron
*107 - Brian Robinson, DE/OLB, Texas
122 -
159 -
195 -
200 -
212 -
218 -
234 -
237 -

*Trade
Patrick Crayton to the Texans for pick 107 and 218.
Well.... I'm a huge Crayton fan so, i dont like that but, other than that... solid.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:47 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't see where Crayton fit with the addition of Ginn...and Hurd playing good enough to fill in either spot to start. Plus if Austin ever evolves we will have a good WR corp.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 04-20-2007, 07:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nothing personal... but it stinks. The Tank pick saves it from being darn right putrid.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:00 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's not my cup of tea, but you've done a good job of attaining picks and dumping Crayton (who I am not a fan of). I don't really like Ginn or Tyler as prospects, and I think Robison was too early. Also, it's Brian Robison not Robinson.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:00 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Nothing personal... but it stinks. The Tank pick saves it from being darn right putrid.
I knew you were gonna hate it. If it makes you feel better I tried moving up to get Branch...but couldn't swing a deal. I also tried to move JJ for Pittman...but someone reached for pittman. I also tried hard to move up to get Free and Satele...but noone would move. I wouldn't say this is my ideal draft...but i'm a big fan because we can get lots of contribution out of the players who have been drafted.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 04-20-2007, 08:02 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
It's not my cup of tea, but you've done a good job of attaining picks and dumping Crayton (who I am not a fan of). I don't really like Ginn or Tyler as prospects, and I think Robison was too early. Also, it's Brian Robison not Robinson.
I was really hoping Tyler wouldn't fall to me. But when he was there I really didn't have a chioce. I think early 4th might be a slight reach for Robison but DE/OLB were flying off the board...I mean Bazuin went in the third if i'm not mistaken. Both McCauley and Free went way to early.

That woulda been my idea first round...
Ginn
McCauley
Free

but w/e I guess not everything can go your way.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 04-20-2007, 08:05 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be rather surprised if Robison doesnt go in the third to be honest. Bazuin in the 3rd... no way.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 04-20-2007, 08:06 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I also would like to say that I tried really hard to ship JJ and get AD...once again...noone wanted to move.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 04-20-2007, 08:17 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

fryman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

sorry to say but I don't really like any of the picks or the trade. I guess the Tyler pick isn't too bad.
fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:21 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I think it's safe to say I'm an outcast when it comes to the Boys first day needs.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 04-20-2007, 08:21 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I said it was solid... He nailed our needs with guys that can come in and contibute. Do I like all these prospects...? not exactly... but, this isnt that bad. I really like the Tyler and Robison picks but, the other two... i could do without. Still not too bad overall.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 04-20-2007, 08:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I knew you were gonna hate it. If it makes you feel better I tried moving up to get Branch...but couldn't swing a deal. I also tried to move JJ for Pittman...but someone reached for pittman. I also tried hard to move up to get Free and Satele...but noone would move. I wouldn't say this is my ideal draft...but i'm a big fan because we can get lots of contribution out of the players who have been drafted.
I'm more disappointed in the Ginn pick than the Alleman pick. I don't think Ginn is a better player than Bowe.

I don't get what you like about Ginn. His route running sucks. He's terribly weak and fragile. He's really not that great of a receiver... He's very raw. He doesn't scare you one bit? I know you like his speed, but considering his durability, his speed is a non-factor... even at the so called 75% health factor he's currently at.

Last edited by D-Unit : 04-20-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:32 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
I'm more disappointed in the Ginn pick than the Alleman pick. I don't think Ginn is a better player than Bowe.
I'm a Bowe fan as well but, i think he may fall right out of the first... if we go WR... i want Meachem.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 04-20-2007, 08:36 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I'm a Bowe fan as well but, i think he may fall right out of the first... if we go WR... i want Meachem.
If I went WR in the first round not named Ginn or CJ...it would be Bowe

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 04-20-2007, 08:42 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:

I don't get what you like about Ginn. His route running sucks. He's terribly weak and fragile. He's really not that great of a receiver... He's very raw. He doesn't scare you one bit? I know you like his speed, but considering his durability, his speed is a non-factor... even at the so called 75% health factor he's currently at.
He can contribute right away. Give us a spark plus on special teams. He could contribute on offense...with reverses, bubble screens.

He gives us something we really dont' have at the WR position. I mean TG and TO are just fine starting. Crayton is a good slot guy. But looking forward to the future...Crayton and Hurd just don't have that speed factor. Austin is a wild card who I really like..but can't just expect that to happen.

Ginn does scare me btw. But like I said...I want to find myself freak in the first round. Especially with a team where a rookie might have trouble finding the field. Everyone says durability is a issue...but how many games had he missed before the big bowl game? He can be raw because we don't need him to step in fulltime for a year maybe 2...depending on the TO and TG situation. Hurd showed he could contribute at the NFL level. Overall I think we can afford to take this chance.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 04-20-2007, 10:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
He can contribute right away. Give us a spark plus on special teams. He could contribute on offense...with reverses, bubble screens.

He gives us something we really dont' have at the WR position. I mean TG and TO are just fine starting. Crayton is a good slot guy. But looking forward to the future...Crayton and Hurd just don't have that speed factor. Austin is a wild card who I really like..but can't just expect that to happen.

Ginn does scare me btw. But like I said...I want to find myself freak in the first round. Especially with a team where a rookie might have trouble finding the field. Everyone says durability is a issue...but how many games had he missed before the big bowl game? He can be raw because we don't need him to step in fulltime for a year maybe 2...depending on the TO and TG situation. Hurd showed he could contribute at the NFL level. Overall I think we can afford to take this chance.
That makes some sense, but DAAAAAYUuuM BOYYY..... What a gamble!
Old 04-20-2007, 10:32 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
That makes some sense, but DAAAAAYUuuM BOYYY..... What a gamble!
Ya, I was really hoping to get AD...Ginn was option three.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 04-20-2007, 11:57 PM    (permalink
jdnoyes
Rookie

jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.

Not a fan of the picks you've made, but hey I give you props for working hard and supporting your picks with a solid thought process. Seems to me you are reaching to fill needs instead of following your board, which is exactly what gets real GM's in trouble.

I don't like Ginn at all for reasons already given by D-Unit, in fact I don't like WR at all in round 1, although I may be in the minority on here. If I had to go WR at 22 I would have picked Bowe, as others have said. I'm not a huge fan of tank at 53, although its a solid pick and definately fills a need. Alleman doesn't excite me, reminds me of a Parcells type lineman though, smart hard working lunch pail type guy. I'd prefer a big athletic mauler this year. Robison is probably my favorite pick, of the four, guy has a lot of talent and looks like he would do well standing up in the 3-4, some would say too early for him but I think its about where he'll go.

Anyways don't take all our comments the wrong way, you're working hard at it, GL the rest of the way.
jdnoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:16 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnoyes View Post
Not a fan of the picks you've made, but hey I give you props for working hard and supporting your picks with a solid thought process. Seems to me you are reaching to fill needs instead of following your board, which is exactly what gets real GM's in trouble.

I don't like Ginn at all for reasons already given by D-Unit, in fact I don't like WR at all in round 1, although I may be in the minority on here. If I had to go WR at 22 I would have picked Bowe, as others have said. I'm not a huge fan of tank at 53, although its a solid pick and definately fills a need. Alleman doesn't excite me, reminds me of a Parcells type lineman though, smart hard working lunch pail type guy. I'd prefer a big athletic mauler this year. Robison is probably my favorite pick, of the four, guy has a lot of talent and looks like he would do well standing up in the 3-4, some would say too early for him but I think its about where he'll go.

Anyways don't take all our comments the wrong way, you're working hard at it, GL the rest of the way.
Glad to see your input. But I don't get your reaching point. Ginn at 22 isn't a reach no matter how raw he is. I don't think an expert out there will call Ginn a reach at 22. I actually think he is a top 15 player...so it was a bit of a steal imo.

Like I said I wasn't a huge fan of the tyler pick...but he had good value. Like I said I really wanted to land McCauley...but people who play madden to much ruin the FM sometimes. I really don't know where else I woulda went with that pick. WR depth was good at that point with Smith and Gonzalez but I'd already drafted Ginn. Pittman was on the board...but couldn't ship JJ and probably woulda waited a bit on Pittman. DE had some decent value...but I was higher on Robison and Bazuin then I was moses/crowder/Woodley. I think Tyler is slightly valued higher than where I selected him...so I don't know if I could call that a reach either.

Alleman is a slight reach...but like I said...Free/Satele/Bazuin were my targets...Bazuin and Robison were toss up's for me...and the interior OL depth after Alleman was a big drop off...with Wrotto as the next best guy...and he is far less impressive than Alleman. Like I said...I really wanted to address interior OL on the first day...and Alleman was all that was left unfortunetly...like I said I was unable to sway a team to move down to get one of my targets. I also took a long look at Bennett in that spot...but have something else in mind to take care of the CB position.

Robison like I said...really can do a lot of things for our defense. I don't know if I could ever see him being a full time player. But what he will give us is something off the edge to get to the passer. He will allow Carp to get more time inside. I wrote this in the draft thread too.
  • Realistcally our starting 4 will look like this.

WOLB - Ware
    WILB- Adoyele
    SILB - James
    SOLB - Ellis

The will actually plays more of the coverage role in the phillips 34.
    Adoyele is really going to shine in this defense.
    James is going to be our run thumper...but really this isn't the right defense for him. He can't play the attacking style and don't fit well in zone scheme.
    Ellis is going to be blitzing 80-90% of the time...phillips runs a inverted 46 so the only difference is where the 4th rusher is coming from.

Carp will see time at both SOLB and SILB...like I said Vrabel role. Except he will be eased in until Ellis is done. By the time 2008 comes around our LB corps will look like this.

WOLB - Ware
    WILB - Adoyele
    SILB - Carp
    SOLB - Ellis/Robinson

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 04-21-2007, 12:23 AM    (permalink
jdnoyes
Rookie

jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.

Yeah I guess looking at my board again after I posted reach is probably the wrong word, as the players were picked pretty near where most "draft experts" would have slotted them. Just not guys I would take at those spots based on my personal likes and dislikes, but like I said you're always very good at supporting your thought process, so I can't be too critical. Keep up the good work.
jdnoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:54 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnoyes View Post

I'm definately with you in that I don't think drafting a WR in round 1 is worth it. I've said that time and time again... and again. I strongly believe that you can win in the NFL without an outstanding WR corps. Thus investing in one in round 1 is dumb in my opinion.

BUT....

Heck, I don't doubt for one second that Jerry would draft one. So in my prediction in our Cowboys Draft Prediction Sticky I'm guessing Dwayne Bowe. Doesn't mean that's what I want. Just what I predict... for now.

I want to spend the draft by solidifying our trenches.... as as much defense as we can afford.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:16 AM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

r O B I S O N
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:15 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ok, I am an idiot, too, because I don't think you did bad at all! In a perfect scenario, there are other players I would like to see come to us. But this is how I see it...

Ginn-Will play. He should be the returner we havent had in a while, and could possibly be a game changer. There is a risk, but that risk comes with every player in the draft. CJ (the best player in the draft, IMO) could become broken in the first game just as easily as anyone...

Tank Tyler-Will play. May not be an all-pro, but will play. On a team as deep as ours, I think you did good finding someone in the second round that should play a lot. Several other routes that you could have gone, but several of those routes wouldnt play as much as Tank will...

Alleman-Depth. Seeing as I have no idea what was left, I cant be mad about bringing in depth and competition at OL. OL is underated, IMO...

Robison-Has a high ceiling. May not play much starting out, but I think it would be hard to find players in the fourth round that have a ceiling as high as him. May never play, but how many fourth rounders never make it? With that in mind, draft for ceiling in the fourth, IMO...

My 2 cents. Thule, you did alright. And no matter what anyone says, the first time Ginn lines up to take field a punt return, no one will leave their seat to go get popcorn!!!!!!
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:22 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One more point I wanted to make. Ginn is not a reach at 22. There are other players I might wantat 22, but calling Ginn a reach is not fair. I would like to know exactly how far yall think he is gonna fall? I would urge everyone to go back and look at the people that have been drafted at 22 over the last several years. You cant tell me Ginn doesnt have more potential than many of them did when they were coming out. Be fair to Thule. Even if you dont like that pick, you cant say he reached by any means.
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote