Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:25 PM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

eacantdraft smells like sex panther.
Default Charlie Frye. The real deal?

Will Charlie Frye be an above average NFL QB?

I see him as continuing the long line of sucessful NFL QB's. I think he will have a career similar to Chad Pennington before Pennington injuries. Frye isn't as physically gifted as Big Ben, but will be in the top third of QB's in the league
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:27 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Give him time and surround him with talent and he'll be a good one. Might make a pro bowl or two kinda like Jake Delhomme or Marc Bulger except potentially better.

He certainly has all the intangeables
Old 08-16-2006, 12:39 PM    (permalink
scorchin

I'd have to give him 16 games before I could answer that. As of now he is just another qb. Hard to judge without seeing him play on a consitent basis. If he plays like he did lasy yeear against Pittsburgh, the guy won't be in the league very long. But if he plays with some of the potential he showed in a few games last year, and they actually get some football players on the team he might go down as a great. Most important thing for him to be good, is to surround him with players, not the clowns they have now.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:39 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It looked like he had good mental makeup as a rookie last year. I'm just worried about his spaghetti arm.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:41 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some games he looked good last year and others he looked horrible. I want to see him playa full season with the weapons he has this year. Its to early to tell for sure but he looked good to me in alot of games.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:02 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I personally favor the old school run, PA pass vertical pass game type offense. I don't know yet if Charlie is able to play this type of style however. The Browns certainly want to play this style, as is evident with their commitment to the run game and how they are maturing Charlie in a way similar to Ben, but I don't know if he has the arm for it.

He has the mental make up to be a nice qb, but he does have limitations. I wouldn't expect anything beyond a serviceable qb who can make some plays. I don't think he'll be top 10 in the NFL. You have guys like Brady, Carson, and Peyton on top right now, and up and comers like Ben, Eli, and soon to be Cutler, Leinart and Quinn who will pretty much make up the top tier of qbs of the future.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Material Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorchin
If he plays like he did lasy yeear against Pittsburgh, the guy won't be in the league very long.
awesome comment. If a QB doesn't improve from his rookie season he won't be in the league very long. How insiteful, i mean how can you manage that huge needed to hold such a huge brain. :roll:
Old 08-16-2006, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Material Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
I personally favor the old school run, PA pass vertical pass game type offense. I don't know yet if Charlie is able to play this type of style however. The Browns certainly want to play this style, as is evident with their commitment to the run game and how they are maturing Charlie in a way similar to Ben, but I don't know if he has the arm for it.

He has the mental make up to be a nice qb, but he does have limitations. I wouldn't expect anything beyond a serviceable qb who can make some plays. I don't think he'll be top 10 in the NFL. You have guys like Brady, Carson, and Peyton on top right now, and up and comers like Ben, Eli, and soon to be Cutler, Leinart and Quinn who will pretty much make up the top tier of qbs of the future.
just because we have a commitment to our running game doesn't mean we have to be run/PA pass. If your just knocking him on his arm i'd like to point out that his arm is no worse than brady's. If he get's a consistent and healthy oline infront of him he could be a top 10-15 QB in a year or two. I mean he certainly has a better arm than Leinart and i think that despite matt's weapons in the desert Charlie will be a better QB.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:42 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he'll be a guy that will be a descent starter. not a probowler but a guy that you can feel comfortable with to start
Old 08-16-2006, 02:02 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Material Issues
Quote:

just because we have a commitment to our running game doesn't mean we have to be run/PA pass. If your just knocking him on his arm i'd like to point out that his arm is no worse than brady's. If he get's a consistent and healthy oline infront of him he could be a top 10-15 QB in a year or two. I mean he certainly has a better arm than Leinart and i think that despite matt's weapons in the desert Charlie will be a better QB.
I can see him having a nice career, I just don't see top 10. He can be a Jake Dellhomme...a guy who gets it done, but is not a top 10 qb...I can see him being that type of qb. I just think with the crop of young qbs coming out right now, I don't know if he'll crack the top 10. And remember, the Browns are cursed...they haven't had a great qb in a long long time.

And Leinart, yes his arm is weak, but he has some real nice weapons, and if they build a WCO around those weapons, his arm strength won't be an issue.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:12 PM    (permalink
Material Issues

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can see him having a nice career, I just don't see top 10. He can be a Jake Dellhomme...a guy who gets it done, but is not a top 10 qb...I can see him being that type of qb. I just think with the crop of young qbs coming out right now, I don't know if he'll crack the top 10. And remember, the Browns are cursed...they haven't had a great qb in a long long time.

And Leinart, yes his arm is weak, but he has some real nice weapons, and if they build a WCO around those weapons, his arm strength won't be an issue.
you forget that 1/4 of the young up and coming qbs are going to bust now Frye could be one of the busts but so could Quinn or Leinart. Now i don't think Charlie will ever be a top tier QB but i think he can be a very good QB who is top 10 and a relatively consistent probowler while making KW2 and Braylon Edwards into superstars.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:14 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

you forget that 1/4 of the young up and coming qbs are going to bust now Frye could be one of the busts but so could Quinn or Leinart. Now i don't think Charlie will ever be a top tier QB but i think he can be a very good QB who is top 10 and a relatively consistent probowler while making KW2 and Braylon Edwards into superstars.
Well...I personally think VY will be a bust, but I can see Leinart and Cutler making it. Carson and Ben and Eli will make it...but Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers will be busts imo...so the ratio will still be consistent with draft history.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:32 PM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think Alex Smith is gonna be a major bust considering he's one a team thats not going any where, any time soon.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:39 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm obviously very biased (he's a friend of mine for those of you that don't know) but I like Charlie as a starter in the league for a long time. He might not ever be anything more than a Trent Dilfer type QB, but there are a lot worse things to be in the NFL. The Browns need Charlie and Charlie needs the Browns. It's a real good combo.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I definitely think he's the real deal.

I was very impressed with him at the Senior Bowl and had him as the #3 QB in the '05 NFL Draft and the 31st best player overall.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:47 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With time he should be a solid QB but don't look for it this year IMO.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:50 PM    (permalink
Material Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
I'm obviously very biased (he's a friend of mine for those of you that don't know) but I like Charlie as a starter in the league for a long time. He might not ever be anything more than a Trent Dilfer type QB, but there are a lot worse things to be in the NFL. The Browns need Charlie and Charlie needs the Browns. It's a real good combo.
sweet. could you get me an autograph?
Old 08-16-2006, 02:57 PM    (permalink

I think he has the potential to be a pro-bowl caliber QB. No hall of famer, but you never know.

I like to compare to the likes of a Brett Favre TYPE qb (i'm not comparing him directly to Favre), in the way he manipulates the pockett not to mention his arm strength as really improved last year.

I am not sure if he has the "gunslinging" mentality to run an offense like Favre, but i can see him being a poor man's version. (kind of like Plummer(without the picks))
Old 08-16-2006, 04:18 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Not during the season but possibly afterwards if I remember. Charlie has a lot of people bothering him since he's a local boy so when I do talk to him or his family it's never anything like that. Don't really see much of the guy anymore for obvious reasons but he's good people and it's fun to watch someone you grew up with play QB in the NFL.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Material Issues

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not during the season but possibly afterwards if I remember. Charlie has a lot of people bothering him since he's a local boy so when I do talk to him or his family it's never anything like that. Don't really see much of the guy anymore for obvious reasons but he's good people and it's fun to watch someone you grew up with play QB in the NFL.
yeah i know one of my friends went over to germany to play soccer so when i went to visit him everyone kept asking for autographs but i knew that during the season he jsut had too much crap going on.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:04 PM    (permalink
scorchin

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorchin
If he plays like he did lasy yeear against Pittsburgh, the guy won't be in the league very long.
awesome comment. If a QB doesn't improve from his rookie season he won't be in the league very long. How insiteful, i mean how can you manage that huge needed to hold such a huge brain. :roll:
Read the whole post, instead of just picking things out. Clowns fans just don't change.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:13 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

nah average career

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:15 PM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

He might have a better year considering he knows what he is doing, and he has a slightly better offense.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:34 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd say he's fo rizzle.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:38 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is going to be a good player for a long time. I don't see him becoming a franchise QB but I think he will be a good starter that may bounce around to different teams.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote