Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:58 PM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Earl Campbell. The man was a monster, and he literally carried the entire offense all by himself.
As much as I love Earl, nobody comes close to Jim Brown. He's without a doubt one of the top five best running backs of all-time but Brown is far and away the best ever.
Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:01 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just let him be guys. No point in wasting time when someone won't listen rationally to your reasoning.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:05 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm sorry I didn't realize
"I'm Right" was rationale.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:08 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
I'm sorry I didn't realize
"I'm Right" was rationale.
never said I was.

I was in fact, saying that I can see where youre coming from with your argument.

You on the other hand, were doing exactly what you accused others of doing.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:11 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

I'm RIGHT !.....

that better a response for you ?

This reminds me of 5th grade.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:17 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
I'm RIGHT !.....

that better a response for you ?

This reminds me of 5th grade.
Perhaps because your acting like a 5th grader right now? You're doing the same thing in some of the other threads your posting in now also, like the overrated draft prospect thread.

So you know, your opinion is not always 100% correct, and there may not always be a right answer. That's why people debate things and aruge them out, in an intelligent matter, not assuming they are the ultimate authority on every subject...you've succeeded in destroying what could've been a good debate with your arrogance.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:31 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Debate ??? What debate was going on in here ?

It's a bunch of guys posting opinions on who THEY LIKE.
are you aware of what a debate actually is ?
This is a worthless thread. I'm sorry for ever having come on here.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:41 AM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.

Quote:
I'm sorry for ever having come on here.
Not as sorry as we are for reading your posts.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:42 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Oh goody ...following me from thread to thread to talk to me...I do believe I have a stalker on my hands.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:45 AM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Oh goody ...following me from thread to thread to talk to me...I do believe I have a stalker on my hands.
Don't flatter yourself. I was in here to see if anyone was agreeing with my thoughts on Earl Campbell and saw you acting like a dick as always. I got better things to do than stalk some jackass on a football message board.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:49 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewing View Post
Don't flatter yourself. I was in here to see if anyone was agreeing with my thoughts on Earl Campbell and saw you acting like a dick as always. I got better things to do than stalk some jackass on a football message board.
It's easy to act like a dick when they're always in your hands, ass or mouth.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:10 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
As sacrilegious as this is to say as a Packer fan, he isn't the best player ever. He is the epitome of what a football player should be, in terms of loving the game, giving everything he has, and his greatness. But I don't even have him as the best QB ever. But if you want a person to put up as the example of how everyone should play, that is him. His seemingly childlike love of the game is what sets him apart from everyone else.

Whatever you say Benedict Arnold.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:14 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jim Brown.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:50 AM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jim Brown, he was a man among boys. I really wish Bo Jackson hadn't gotten injured, otherwise he may well have been in this discussion.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:41 AM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In my opinion it's Walter Payton. Mentally, I think he was the perfect football player. The man just took your breath away at the things he could do; it still seems impossible that his body was able to move so gracefully and at the same time absorb and deal out such punishment. In a way I think it's a case of mind over matter, mentally he could see himself doing anything on the field, and did. Perhaps that's too esoteric, but that's the way I feel about Walter as an athlete. He was the most determined man to ever wear the uniform.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:52 AM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It's either Jerry Rice or Joe Montana they helped make football.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:06 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So your reasoning is that Deion was a better PLAYER because teams failed to throw his way ? hahahaha laughable.
I've never heard the "QB's were to scared to throw his way therefore that makes him better" arguement.

just so you know, it's wrong. All this proves is that QB's who faced him were mentally inferior....as they played scared, instead of just playing.
Deion couldn't tackle. Not "he was a bad tackler" , he couldn't do it. If someone caught a ball on him he'd try punching the ball out or stripping it but he wasn't going to try and tackle someone.

And if you're going to call a DEFENSIVE player the "greatest" at his position , I'd think tackling would damn near be one of the top criteria's.
Umm, you have never heard anyone say that because teams didn't test him he didn't have the stats other corners did? Wow, when did you start watching football?

Judging from your logic here, you never played quarterback or receiver, at any level. Because not throwing towards someone is not a sign of being mentally inferior, it shows just how good he covered. He didn't give anyone a chance to actually throw his way. They didn't go into the game thinking, "If I throw towads Deion even once, he is going t pick it off." No they had to check off their number one receiver because Deion had them on lock down. Go back and watch Deion, then tell me that he wasn't the best cover corner ever.

And did Deion have any tackles? Because if so your theory that he "COULDN'T do it."(emphasis mine) Corner is a different position than any others on defense, especially the way Deion played it. He was almost always in one on one man coverage, which means he had no business in run support anyway. His coverage ability far outweighed his inability to tackle. He shut down the top receiver EVERY.SINGLE.GAME.

Like BBD, I can see the argument for Woodson, however, as much as I like Woodson(and dislike Deion, anyone who is that over the top annoys me) I think Deion's coverage ability overcomes his other deficits.

Now, tell me if you were a GM what do you look for in a corner? The ability to shut down a receiver or the ability to be a force in run stopping? This is of course, assuming you don't run primarily cover 2. I would assume the ability to shut down a receiver, which is the reason that I consider Deion a better corner than Woodson. Actually, I have Woodson between 3-4, with Night Train Lane above him, and possibly Champ Bailey.

To whoever said Ronnie Lott, he is one of my favorite players ever. I have a soft spot for safeties.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:09 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by portermvp84 View Post
It's either Jerry Rice or Joe Montana they helped make football.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Both of those guys have legitimate arguments, but your reasoning is incredibly funny. Jim Brown, Jim Thorpe, Bronco Nagurski, Johnny U, Vince Lombardi those are the guys that helped make football what they are today. Jerry Rice and Joe Montana came along when the league was already well established. Many other QB's could have won Super Bowls with those 9er teams, they would not have been as efficient without Montana, but come on your statement was just laughable.

New rule, don't post on this board if you don't know any football history, it makes your argument a moot point anyway.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:18 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A couple of points:

* I don't think even Rod Woodson thinks he was a better CB than Deion Sanders. If you ask anyone competent to name the best cover CB in NFL history, they would universally say Deion Sanders.

* Just because Deion is the best cover corner, it doesn't mean he's the best all around CB. You could make an argument for Woodson in terms of all around skills, but there are plenty of guys out there who played a better all around game than Deion.

* The fact that Deion is not the best all-around CB in history automatically excludes him from legitimate discussion as the best NFL player in history.

* Rep is overrated. No one should post to get rep, get mad at someone for negative rep, or carry on like a small child over rep levels, etc.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:20 AM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
A couple of points:

* I don't think even Rod Woodson thinks he was a better CB than Deion Sanders. If you ask anyone competent to name the best cover CB in NFL history, they would universally say Deion Sanders.

* Just because Deion is the best cover corner, it doesn't mean he's the best all around CB. You could make an argument for Woodson in terms of all around skills, but there are plenty of guys out there who played a better all around game than Deion.

* The fact that Deion is not the best all-around CB in history automatically excludes him from legitimate discussion as the best NFL player in history.

* Rep is overrated. No one should post to get rep, get mad at someone for negative rep, or carry on like a small child over rep levels, etc.
You would be hard pressed to find anybody that thinks Deion Sanders isn't the best cornerback of all-time. If you asked people to select any cornerback in their prime for a team they were creating, the answer would always be Deion Sanders.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:21 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
A couple of points:

Even not being the best all-around corner, I still think his coverage ability makes him the best corner in NFL history. But I don't think any corner deserves a best player in NFL history nod.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:26 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CB's need to do more than just cover to help their teams. I believe having an all-around game is critical when being considered in the GOAT discussion at a position. What you are saying is that Deion did 70% of the CB's job (coverage, intimidation of QB's, INT's, runbacks)at a level 10%+ higher than any other player ever. However, pretty much everyone admits that the other 30% (run support, tackling) at a consistently mediocre level. I don't think 70/30 makes for a GOAT. Just my opinion.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 04-23-2007, 11:28 AM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
CB's need to do more than just cover to help their teams. I believe having an all-around game is critical when being considered in the GOAT discussion at a position. What you are saying is that Deion did 70% of the CB's job (coverage, intimidation of QB's, INT's, runbacks)at a level 10%+ higher than any other player ever. However, pretty much everyone admits that the other 30% (run support, tackling) at a consistently mediocre level. I don't think 70/30 makes for a GOAT. Just my opinion.
I think cornerbacks are more like 90%/10% (pass/run defence) in terms of importance. Obviously it depends on the system but cornerbacks are always regarded as cover players first and foremost.

Sanders likely isn't the GOAT at any position, but I think it's hard to argue against him at the cornerback position.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:29 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Gotta love it when njx9 gives out life lessons.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:31 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
I think cornerbacks are more like 90%/10% (pass/run defence) in terms of importance. Obviously it depends on the system but cornerbacks are always regarded as cover players first and foremost.

Sanders likely isn't the GOAT at any position, but I think it's hard to argue against him at the cornerback position.
I personally think that run support and tackling are critical at every position. It is much easier to gamble and cover on third and 9 than third and 3. If you have a good run-supporting CB to help out on first and second downs, you get obvious passing situations and more opportunities. I think you are underrating the benefit of a CB who can and will tackle.