Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Diego Chargers Team Forum

San Diego Chargers Team Forum Discuss the Bolts

Old 04-23-2007, 11:39 AM    (permalink
BoltHype
Rookie

BoltHype hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Sidney Rice At Pick 30 Is Not A Reach

Assuming the Chargers stay put at pick number 30 in 2007 NFL Draft, what position would have the best available players?

Defensive End is a deep position, with about five players that could be taken in round one. Safeties are also pretty deep, with four first round prospects. Up to five Linebackers have a chance to sneak into the first round as well. The Cornerback position could be a wildcard however; there are about five corners who carry first round grades, and the Chargers will need to eventually get another good corner on the roster. But clearly the position that would have the most talented players available in the first round would be Wide Receiver, with as many as six prospects with first round grades.

Ranking those five positions in terms of need, Wide Receiver and Safety would clearly be atop the Chargers 'needs list'. While depth at Defensive End and both Linebacker spots is certainly desirable, the need isn't great enough to justify passing on an available Wideout or Safety. As said, the Cornerback position has a chance to be addressed in the first round, and it wouldn't shock me to see AJ Smith pull the trigger on a talented corner who slipped to pick 30.

Now, with so much talent available, and each team's needs varying from one club to the next, there will undoubtedly a talented player who slips.

On the Wide Receiver front, there is such a disparity between Calvin Johnson and all the other first round Wideouts in terms of overall package. Somebody will fall and the Chargers will pounce.

Same can be said for Safeties; Landry and Nelson are clear cut first rounders, but Micheal Griffin or Brandon Meriwether could be available at 30. The Chargers could address the need at Safety with this pick.

Making a case for Sidney Rice

In recent weeks, Sidney Rice's stock has slipped. He canceled his 40 yard sprint during his Pro Day when it seemed he wasn't going to be at his best. While his agent told the scouts that the field conditions were bad, the NFL scouts were pretty pissed off nonetheless. Using his times from the Combine 40 yard dash he was clocked in the 4.5 range. This isn't slow by any means, but it clearly didn't help elevate his stock.

Mock Drafts are now slotting Rice as a high second round choice - a player who won't get past the Vikings or the 49ers.

Would taking a player at pick 30 who others feel will fall to the top of the second round be considered a reach? Of course not.

See, Sidney Rice is a very young player who wont turn 21 until a few days before Week 1 of the 2007 NFL Regular Season.

Rice is admittedly still raw, having only played for two seasons at South Carolina. But in those two seasons he lit it up in Steve Spurrier's offense:

70+ catches, 1000+ yards, and 10+ touchdowns in back to back seasons.

Another season like those and we are talking about a top 10 pick in the 2008 draft. Keep in mind he played in the SEC, widely considered the top conference in the nation. Sidney Rice faced some serious competition and some extremely good defenses the past two years and still managed some monster numbers.

At 6'4" and 200lbs, he has a 39.5" vertical jump and a 9'11" broad jump. Those are extremely good leaping and explosion indicators. His 1.47 10 yard dash is extremely fast and show he can get out of the blocks quickly.

Some may question Rice's lack of bulk. This is a minor issue in my mind. There is no question he will add mass in the NFL, and his frame is no where near maxed out. Looking at Dwayne Bowe, he clearly doesn't have room to get much bigger. Rice, on the other hand, has heaps of talent and has the room to get bigger, stronger, and faster.

There are scouts who consider Rice the most sure-handed pass catcher in the entire draft, even ahead of the highly touted Calvin Johnson. As said before, Rice could have been a top 10 pick if he waited one more season before declaring.

The Chargers should take Rice if he was available at pick 30. The love players from the SEC, and that is a conference in which Rice was as dominant as any offensive player.

Rice can make the acrobatic catch like few in this draft can. He can snatch the ball out of the air away from about any cornerback in the NFL. He is both a deep threat as well as a red zone terror. Yes he will take a year or two before he really breaks out, but with Gates and Jackson likely catching most of the available balls, he will have time to develop into the star he is capable of being.

Philip Rivers needs reliable, young targets in which he can grow with. Sidney Rice and Philip Rivers have the potential to play in many Pro Bowls together and would make for an excellent addition to a starved receiving corp.

Don't believe me? Go watch these highlight videos and get back to me.

http://bolthype.blogspot.com/2007/04...not-reach.html
Old 04-23-2007, 11:42 AM    (permalink
BoltHype
Rookie

I bring this topic up to dicuss the fact that we shouldnt settle for Anthony Gonzalez or Steve Smith at the bottom of round 1. If Rice is there, he should be an option. He has all the talent in the world with MAJOR upside.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:12 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Personally I would like to see Rice over Gonzalez and Smith. He's met with the Chargers organization, and I have a lot more confidence in him, than in the other two. Ideally I would like to see one of the top four safeties come to San Diego, or a Robert Meachem, but assuming they are gone, I think Rice is the receiver we would look too. Jarrett doesn't fit our WR needs, Ginn will be gone, and although Bowe would be good too, he will also probably be gone.

If it's not Meachem we get at WR, Rice is better than Gonzalez and Smith, IMO.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:03 PM    (permalink
BoltHype
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
Personally I would like to see Rice over Gonzalez and Smith. He's met with the Chargers organization, and I have a lot more confidence in him, than in the other two. Ideally I would like to see one of the top four safeties come to San Diego, or a Robert Meachem, but assuming they are gone, I think Rice is the receiver we would look too. Jarrett doesn't fit our WR needs, Ginn will be gone, and although Bowe would be good too, he will also probably be gone.

If it's not Meachem we get at WR, Rice is better than Gonzalez and Smith, IMO.
I think so too, and as for meachem, some people say he is the #2 WR behind Johnson
Old 04-23-2007, 02:20 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only reason I'm against drafting Rice is because there is an obvious need for a shiftier slot WR in San Diego. Rice is more of a threat in the vertical game and we need a guy who can turn the 5 yard quick slant into a big gain.
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:39 PM    (permalink
DWhitner20
Veteran

DWhitner20 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I really think Dwayne Bowe will be there for you guys, which is amazing because I think Bowe has top 15 talent. You might not have to think about Rice, who would still be a good pick for you guys, but if Bowe's there... WOW.... you're some lucky SOBs.
DWhitner20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:54 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't be thrilled with Rice. He's a poor man's Jarrett to me.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:36 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
I wouldn't be thrilled with Rice. He's a poor man's Jarrett to me.
I wouldn't be thrilled with him either, but to be honest I would much rather have him than Jarrett. Nothing against Jarrett, and not that I don't think Jarrett might even be the better reciever, but the Chargers don't need him right now. Rice isn't a speedster, but he is certainly faster than Jarrett, and we need a guy who has some speed.

Rice isn't my ideal pick, but it's not a pick I would be very upset about.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:22 PM    (permalink
sdpads24
Veteran

sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.

Off the topic of Rice, but would it be a reach for Eric Weddle if all our other targets weren't available. I could see us taking Weddle over Rice and settling for a decent Wr in round 2.

Thanks to Bantx for the cool sig.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21
sdpads24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:24 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpads24 View Post
Off the topic of Rice, but would it be a reach for Eric Weddle if all our other targets weren't available. I could see us taking Weddle over Rice and settling for a decent Wr in round 2.
I thought about that idea also, but I think AJ would at least try and move down a little, to the middle of round two and take Weddle. I don't know with who, but we've seen AJ trade down before. Also with his emphasis on BPA in some of the recent drafts, I don't think he would grab Weddle that far ahead of value, but maybe a little bit after a trade down.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:08 PM    (permalink
defensiveback23
Veteran

defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.

I'm not a big fan of Rice for 2 reasons. One he isn't an explosive athlete that will burn people deep, which is what we are missing at WR. The other is the history of Spurrier receivers in the NFL. None of them seem to live up to their draft status. However, I think he would be a better pick than Smith and Gonzalez also.
defensiveback23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:16 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd take hands over speed anyday, saying that in day one safty and WR on day 1, but if there is a WR like jarrett or bowe i'd take them in first, over safty but if not i'd still say get merriweather, a lot of teams are looking at him to be not even a 1st rounder, but i think he has talent we need in the secondary.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:14 PM    (permalink
mav91
Rookie

mav91 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i would definetly take rice over gonzalez...he is quite raw and can still excel in numerous ways which is a plus with a team already embedded with solid starters...but with that..i still wanna take safety first round
mav91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:54 PM    (permalink
SDSupaChargers
Rookie

SDSupaChargers hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SDSupaChargers hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Rice has been one of my favorite players to watch in college football over the past two years so I would love to see him as a bolt. Gonzalez on the other hand would be maybe the only possible choice at 30 that I would be really upset about. I think he's getting too much hype, and I really just don't like him. I don't think he is worth anything more than a late 2nd rounder.