Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Who deserves a title shot more?
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson 12 30.77%
Lyoto "Dragon" Machida 27 69.23%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2008, 11:47 AM    (permalink
bernbabybern820
Pro Bowler

bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
The last thing Sherk wanted to do was go to the ground. BJ's jiu jitsu is superior to Sherk's wrestling game and BJ would've forced him into submission and Sherk didn't want to have to tap out.
Lol BJ is my favorite fighter but Sherk has amazing sub defense. If he was able to take him down he would have done it. He passed Francas guard so many times i lost count. Its far from a sure thing.

sig by jagfan33
Peyton Manning Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.
bernbabybern820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:05 PM    (permalink
JF4
Pro Bowler

JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't know if you guys heard it but at the end of BJ's fight he called for a rematch against GSP. It seems alot of these call-outs end up taking place and without much depth in the lightweight division, I wouldn't be surprised if after BJ fights the winner of Huerta vs Florian that the UFC sets him up with GSP again.

stephenson86
JF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernbabybern820 View Post
Lol BJ is my favorite fighter but Sherk has amazing sub defense. If he was able to take him down he would have done it. He passed Francas guard so many times i lost count. Its far from a sure thing.
You may think Sherk has amazing submission defense, but he can't hang with BJ on the ground. BJ's ground game, flexibility, intelligence.... Sherk would've been forced to tap out.

I can't believe you said "if he was able to take him down"... Sherk was not actively trying to take down BJ. Yes, BJ's take down defense is good, but he's also smart. They way the fight was going, BJ was geting what ever he wanted standing up. Sherk tried to to come in close which may have appeared he was going for the take down, but what he was really trying to do was get in ranch where his short arms would reach. He was content in stand up and being BJ's punching dummy. He even said in his post fight interview when Rogan asked him why he didn't try to take BJ down...Sherk said that he wanted to stick with the stand up game because he thought he was doing well with that in the first and wanted to continue. See? That's how dumb he is. BJ had no reason to go to the ground after figuring out quickly that Sherk's reaction time was so slow to see punches coming his way and any and all counter punches from Sherk couldn't reach.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF4 View Post
Don't know if you guys heard it but at the end of BJ's fight he called for a rematch against GSP. It seems alot of these call-outs end up taking place and without much depth in the lightweight division, I wouldn't be surprised if after BJ fights the winner of Huerta vs Florian that the UFC sets him up with GSP again.
Actually, that is not true. Rogan asked BJ if he would like to fight GSP in his next match. Then BJ asked the crowd if that is what they wanted? If that's what they wanted, then he's all for it. He's down for whatever... anything.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:37 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think if Sherk kept at it w/ takedown attempts he would have gotten one, BJ uses his balance to jump around on one leg to defend singles, I think it would be tougher for him to defend a blast double like Sherks. It was Sherks dumb gameplan to stand and strike w/ him that cost him. Sherk has top notch submission defense, I don't think BJ could finish him.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Axl Rose
Rookie

Axl Rose is a cocksman.Axl Rose is a cocksman.Axl Rose is a cocksman.Axl Rose is a cocksman.Axl Rose is a cocksman.

Sherks hand was broken, probably shouldn't be grappling Penn with a broken hand.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rose View Post
Sherks hand was broken, probably shouldn't be grappling Penn with a broken hand.
LOL, how did he break his hand? He didn't land anything. Oh well, I guess now the excuses are starting to come out. Typical, coming from a guy with a million excuses for everything. It's a good thing BJ completely dominated that performance to eliminate all question marks.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:37 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
Man Silva just murder Keith. But I didn't like that fact he held his neck when he was striking him.
Could be the most dominating fighter of his era. What a joy to watch and such a class act too.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:52 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The last thing Sherk wanted to do was go to the ground. BJ's jiu jitsu is superior to Sherk's wrestling game and BJ would've forced him into submission and Sherk didn't want to have to tap out.
He should have went for it because obviously what he was doing was not working. I was about laughing during that match when BJ would just jab and then Sherk would have his hands up at his face but still not block it. Then when he landed something Sherk would go crazy and swing for the fences as BJ backed up.

One of my favorite matches was Goran Reljic vs Wilson Gouveia. Reljic has some really powerful kicks and I think he is going to be a great fighter in the UFC.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reljic is a beast, Sherk would do better against Penn w/ a better gameplan.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:46 PM    (permalink
ccB
All-NFLDC

ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sherk actually came in with a very good gameplan. Stand up for the first two rounds, see what you can do from there and then when the third rolled around he was hoping for a worn out Penn so he could drag him to the mat, knowing that he couldn't take down a fresh Penn and Sherk got destroyed before Penn could gas. Happened exactly as I pictured it. I said it time and time again, Sean Sherk doesn't have a skill to beat Penn past cardio, and the cardio wasn't a problem and Sherk got put away.

And D, Penn has been calling out GSP ever since they fought in fact he didn't even want to fight at 155, he wanted to come back at 170 and fight, Dana white is the one who told him if hes coming back its at 155, and if he grabs the belt and clears out the division he gets GSP. So him having the crowd cheer for what they wanted him to do was just a creative way at saying I WANT GSP.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jnVOThfAWIU heres an interview where Penn talks about calling out GSP at the end of the fight (this was from March I think) So its clear it was in his intentions to call out GSP at the end of the fight, he just found a more creative way of doing it.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:30 PM    (permalink
bernbabybern820
Pro Bowler

bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You may think Sherk has amazing submission defense, but he can't hang with BJ on the ground. BJ's ground game, flexibility, intelligence.... Sherk would've been forced to tap out.

I can't believe you said "if he was able to take him down"... Sherk was not actively trying to take down BJ. Yes, BJ's take down defense is good, but he's also smart. They way the fight was going, BJ was geting what ever he wanted standing up. Sherk tried to to come in close which may have appeared he was going for the take down, but what he was really trying to do was get in ranch where his short arms would reach. He was content in stand up and being BJ's punching dummy. He even said in his post fight interview when Rogan asked him why he didn't try to take BJ down...Sherk said that he wanted to stick with the stand up game because he thought he was doing well with that in the first and wanted to continue. See? That's how dumb he is. BJ had no reason to go to the ground after figuring out quickly that Sherk's reaction time was so slow to see punches coming his way and any and all counter punches from Sherk couldn't reach.
He also said to Rogan that BJ has amazing takedown defense.

Edit: Oh i think you thought i meant that about BJ not being able to take him down

sig by jagfan33
Peyton Manning Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.
bernbabybern820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:35 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charm City Byrdgang View Post
Sherk actually came in with a very good gameplan. Stand up for the first two rounds, see what you can do from there and then when the third rolled around he was hoping for a worn out Penn so he could drag him to the mat, knowing that he couldn't take down a fresh Penn and Sherk got destroyed before Penn could gas. Happened exactly as I pictured it. I said it time and time again, Sean Sherk doesn't have a skill to beat Penn past cardio, and the cardio wasn't a problem and Sherk got put away.

And D, Penn has been calling out GSP ever since they fought in fact he didn't even want to fight at 155, he wanted to come back at 170 and fight, Dana white is the one who told him if hes coming back its at 155, and if he grabs the belt and clears out the division he gets GSP. So him having the crowd cheer for what they wanted him to do was just a creative way at saying I WANT GSP.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jnVOThfAWIU heres an interview where Penn talks about calling out GSP at the end of the fight (this was from March I think) So its clear it was in his intentions to call out GSP at the end of the fight, he just found a more creative way of doing it.
More power to him then. 170 isn't his ideal weight, but if he wants more glory, GSP is one of the best guys to try to beat.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:53 PM    (permalink
ccB
All-NFLDC

ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BJ Penn is so overrated, Sean Sherk is going to expose him...

Old 05-25-2008, 05:55 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

that will be a very good fight, I think GSP will win, he will be a lot bigger and stronger then Penn, plus he improved a lot since there 1st fight.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:56 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charm City Byrdgang View Post
BJ Penn is so overrated, Sean Sherk is going to expose him...

I was very impressed by his striking, I knew he was better then Sherk at striking but I didnt think he was that much better like he showed last night.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:53 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Did anybody see BJ Penn run over to Sherk after the fight, get blood on his glove then lick it? That is disrespectful and disgusting. BJ has a history of being a classless turd, he held onto that Pulver RNC long after the bell, he got arrested for punching a police officer, and now that incident. I hope GSP tears him to shreds
Old 05-27-2008, 03:57 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
Did anybody see BJ Penn run over to Sherk after the fight, get blood on his glove then lick it? That is disrespectful and disgusting. BJ has a history of being a classless turd, he held onto that Pulver RNC long after the bell, he got arrested for punching a police officer, and now that incident. I hope GSP tears him to shreds
Did you also hear him tell Sherk he could come by and train anytime? Honestly the BJ Penn hate is getting a little too much IMO. Penn always does that, it's his thing, it's not disrespectful IMO, disgusting, but not disrespectful.

I also can't believe how much heat Machida is taking. I really enjoy watching him fight, people say he's boring, but I blame the opponents for being unable to figure him out.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:02 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ya Machida is a technician I fully believe that he would beat rampage
Old 05-27-2008, 04:11 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

It is like going to a downed and giving him the finger or telling him to suck it etc. when the opponent wasnt disrespectful to you at all. Sherk is nothing but class and he disrespected him. It would be different if he didn't run over and rub some blood on his hand. Big whoop that he offered for him to train.

Also about Machida that was boring, he is very good but he is kind of boring. If he loses it will take him a while to get back into contention.

Also everybody how many fights til Wand gets a title shot? I think he will get one quicker then a typical guy because of him killing Rampage twice. I highly doubt Rampage will be excited to face Rampage after that performance. He will probably crack a couple of jokes but I will love that fight.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:04 AM    (permalink
ccB
All-NFLDC

So when exactly did cheaters become class acts? Also, Sherk had a lot to say about Penn in the weeks leading up to the fight, this is mostly to sell the fight but I dont know why you have your panties in a twist about it when Sherk didn't even care when it happened. Right after Penn did it, both guys hugged and had nice things to say to each other. If Sherk felt so disrespected don't ya think he would of stayed away from BJ after the fight instead of embracing him? BJ Penn does antics like these after every fight, not reall surprising, especially seeing as how 90% of every BJ penn interview since the Joe Stevenson fight has talked about him licking the blood off his gloves. The guy is a sucker for the spotlight and guess what stuff like this is whats getting him publicity, why do you think Tito Ortiz is such a big name? because of stuff like this, it sells. Thats the reason Ortiz gets a portion of the PPV money for every event he fights in, not because hes the best fighter in the world, because hes a character, who has charisma and personality, same with Penn.

Also I do not care what anyone says I LOVE watching Lyoto Machida, he is not boring in the least bit to me, he has an answer for everything a fighter throws at him and I love watching the frustration on his opponents faces. I am with Fenikz, I think Machida beats Rampage.

As for Wandy I do not think he gets a title shot, I think Chuck v Wandy 2 is on the Dana's mind before Wandy v Rampage.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:10 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

I meant in Sherks interviews he is classy.

I do agree Machida will be a tough guy for anyone.

Yea my I think it will be Chuck VS. Wand 2 and winner gets Rampage. Chuck did have a funny looking face after the Wand fight, hopefully Wand does go to the ground instead of letting him up next time.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:21 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

So whats next for BJ? He can kill any other LW in the UFC, and ever other WW except GSP and Hughes. I wanna see him go against Gomi, yes I know he beat Gomi like 5 years ago but once you break the fight down Gomi has the style to beat him. Gomi has great wrestling enough to defend BJ takedowns, plus he is far better at striking. It would be a good match up to watch.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:21 PM    (permalink
ccB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
So whats next for BJ? He can kill any other LW in the UFC, and ever other WW except GSP and Hughes. I wanna see him go against Gomi, yes I know he beat Gomi like 5 years ago but once you break the fight down Gomi has the style to beat him. Gomi has great wrestling enough to defend BJ takedowns, plus he is far better at striking. It would be a good match up to watch.
The winner of Heurta/KenFlo, If he wins that fight then he fights GSP (assuming GSP beats Fitch) I think if you put Penn vs Gomi, the outcome is going to be very similar to the outcome of their last fight. Gomi hasn't done much lately and hasn't had much competition up to the caliber that BJ has been facing. I think BJ is the hotter fighter right now, I just think he owns Gomi again if they fight. I think the only fighters in the world at LW that pose a threat to Penn are, Shinya Aoki or JZ Calvancanti. But I'd still take Penn in either fight. I think Aoki right now is the best japanese lightweight, I think hes better than Gomi and if they ever fight I think Shinya sub's him. Though he loss to Aoki, Out of every skillset in the world I think JZ has the tools to beat BJ. He has the BJJ skills, striking, wrestling, and explosiveness to match Penn, plus hes much stronger. Another fight I'd be interested in seeing is Matt Serra drop to 155 to take on Penn, though I think the outcome wouldn't be much different from the first time they fought. With all this said, I think BJ Penn is the number one LW in the world, I'd put my money on him against anyone in that division, and I do not see another LW fighter beating him, especially any in the UFC's crop.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:25 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think the UFC needs to stop being a ***** and start offering more money to their fighters.

they're losing top fighters fast and now their heavy weight division is weeeeeak.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote