Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Greatest football player ever?

Who would ya'll consider the single greatest football player ever? I'm not talking about the best at his respective position, but the best player ever, out of everyone at every position.

To me it's all about who just simply got the job done day in and day out over a long period of time. It has nothing to do with who was the best athlete or the most physically dominating (though often times those traits go hand in hand with a great player).

To me there's only one obvious choice and that's Jerry Rice. He simply was on a different plain than anyone else who ever played the game. He wasn't the biggest or the fastest but his production was simply astonishing, he was just a football player. No one else in history has had anywhere near his production on the field. I know impact can't always be measured in stats, but great players produce and nobody did it better for longer than Rice.

I'm sure some people will argue a case for Jim Brown, and rightfully so, but for me he walked away from the game too early to be in the same category as Rice, same with Barry Sanders (who is my personal #1 RB). What could have been, is much different than what actually was and we'll never truly know what these guys would have accomplished had they not walked away from the game in their primes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Vince Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:01 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rick Mirer.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:01 PM    (permalink
Veteran

255979119 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi View Post
Who would ya'll consider the single greatest football player ever? I'm not talking about the best at his respective position, but the best player ever, out of everyone at every position.

To me it's all about who just simply got the job done day in and day out over a long period of time. It has nothing to do with who was the best athlete or the most physically dominating (though often times those traits go hand in hand with a great player).

To me there's only one obvious choice and that's Jerry Rice. He simply was on a different plain than anyone else who ever played the game. He wasn't the biggest or the fastest but his production was simply astonishing, he was just a football player. No one else in history has had anywhere near his production on the field. I know impact can't always be measured in stats, but great players produce and nobody did it better for longer than Rice.

I'm sure some people will argue a case for Jim Brown, and rightfully so, but for me he walked away from the game too early to be in the same category as Rice, same with Barry Sanders (who is my personal #1 RB). What could have been, is much different than what actually was and we'll never truly know what these guys would have accomplished had they not walked away from the game in their primes.
Dude, end this. It is impossible in football to come to a solution considering the massive changes from era to era.
255979119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:04 PM    (permalink
Primetime21
Veteran

Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bo Jackson could have been one of the greatest if it wasnt for baseball.
I would have to pick Walter Payton, just how he blocked, ran, caught, and passed for the Bears with all his heart every game.
Primetime21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:04 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you were to go with what could have been, i think Gale Sayers would have been the best football player ever, but overall i will probably have to go, taking into account positions, Johny Unitas, although i might be forgeting someone
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:05 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 255979119 View Post
Dude, end this. It is impossible in football to come to a solution considering the massive changes from era to era.
Dude it's a football forum, we're here to argue about this kind of stuff. Just leave already if all you're gonna do is complain.

It's not like we're proclaiming that this will be the final decision on the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Vince Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:07 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tough question. Jim Brown and Jerry Rice are up there. I also think of guys like Otto Graham and even Jim Thorpe.

Put a gun to my head to pick, I'd say Jim Brown.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:07 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Johnny U
Guy was a big reason the sport became popular, toughest QB ive ever seen and a great QB too owned many records

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seriously, I'll say Brett Favre. He is everything a football player should be.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:12 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Walter Payton.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:13 PM    (permalink
757Dawg
Rookie

757Dawg is a cocksman.757Dawg is a cocksman.757Dawg is a cocksman.757Dawg is a cocksman.757Dawg is a cocksman.

Jim Brown.

99% of us on this board never saw Brown play, so all we have to go on is old game tape.

Even so, I think he is easily the greatest football player of all time.

He was the total package. Size, strength, speed, quickness, etc.
757Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:15 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am a big defense guy so LT, but there are several players that can be considered for this spot, there really isnt a wrong answer
Old 04-22-2007, 01:17 PM    (permalink
cardsalltheway
Veteran

cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.

I would say Rice as well, but Lawrence Taylor is a close 2nd for me.

Designs by D-Unit

ILEMTPKC - I Love Eli Manning <The Patriots Killer> Club
cardsalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:24 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
Seriously, I'll say Brett Favre. He is everything a football player should be.
Did I read that right? A Vikings fan calling Favre the best player ever!

I'll go with LT, Jim Brown a close second, with Deacon Jones in the top ten.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:25 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its impossible to compare offense to defense.

On offense, I would say Jim Brown.

On defense, Lawrence Taylor.

Jerry Rice is probably a close 2nd on offense.

Honorable mentions on defense are Deacon Jones and Dick Butkus.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:27 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm gonna give my vote to Deion Sanders...guy is the best CB ever to play. One of the best returners of all time. He also played some offense.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:29 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I'm gonna give my vote to Deion Sanders...guy is the best CB ever to play. One of the best returners of all time. He also played some offense.
Can't be Deion. We're talking about greatest ever here. The guy has to be an all around player. For all of Deion's ability he couldn't tackle for his life, and offered no run support.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:29 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Did I read that right? A Vikings fan calling Favre the best player ever!

I'll go with LT, Jim Brown a close second, with Deacon Jones in the top ten.
Yep. I hate him, but dammit, I hate facing him just as much. He fulfills all of my criterias: He's tough, he's immensely talented, and he's a winner.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:37 PM    (permalink
JoeSixPac
Rookie

JoeSixPac hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The best player I ever saw play is Ladainian Tomlinson. Other than him I haven't seen any other greats play, but I think when its all said and done he'll be one of the best.
JoeSixPac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:39 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ryan Leaf..... no really barry sanders

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Veteran

22,895 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Well I'm not better than Jerry Rice yet so I can't say me. So it's between Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith.
22,895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:00 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Deion Sanders ??? bwahahahah
Rod Woodson owned Deion Sanders.

All time players I've seen in my lifetime...
Offense - Jerry Rice / Barry Sanders / Brett Favre
Rice was the personification of effort and preperation.
Sanders individual skill is beyond comparisson and
Favre , when he's done will be a top 3 QB of all time.

I'll do defense later.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:01 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Im gonna play devil's advocate here and try to say some negatives about Rice.

While he was in my mind the undisputed best WR ever, he was also an extremely fortunate WR his entire career.

He played in the WCO his whole career, which gives him the oppurtunity at more catches and YAC compared to other systems.

He's had great quarterbacks throw him the ball everywhere he went.

He was properly utilized since day one.

Not all great WRs can say the same thing. Would Rice be Rice if he was in Air Coryell his whole career?

Would he be the same player if he had Trent Dilfer throwing him the ball?

So while he was a great talent, let's not forget, that he was also a very fortunate player to have been in the right situation since the day he stepped on the field.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:05 PM    (permalink
Veteran

22,895 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Im gonna play devil's advocate here and try to say some negatives about Rice.

While he was in my mind the undisputed best WR ever, he was also an extremely fortunate WR his entire career.

He played in the WCO his whole career, which gives him the oppurtunity at more catches and YAC compared to other systems.

He's had great quarterbacks throw him the ball everywhere he went.

He was properly utilized since day one.

Not all great WRs can say the same thing. Would Rice be Rice if he was in Air Coryell his whole career?

Would he be the same player if he had Trent Dilfer throwing him the ball?

So while he was a great talent, let's not forget, that he was also a very fortunate player to have been in the right situation since the day he stepped on the field.

That's why Keyshawn Johnson is so good, but nobody gives him any credit. For his whole Career he has had stinky QBs yet he has been successful. I know this is off topic, but I just wanted to mention that.
22,895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:07 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

its between 3 running backs for me

Sweetness, Tim Brown, & Barry Sanders

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote