Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 04-26-2007, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Booger
Veteran

Booger hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default My Final Mock

My first mock (dated March 13th)

1(4) DT Amobi Okoye
2(35) C Ryan Kalil
2(64) S Eric Weddle
3(68) LaMar Woodley

My second mock (April 2nd)
1(4) WR Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech
2(35) S Brandon Meriweather Miami
2(64) DE Victor Abiamiri Notre Dame
3(68) DE/DT Ray McDonald Florida
4(98) OG/C Josh Beekman Boston College

My Final Mock (April 26th)

1(4) OT Joe Thomas, Wisconsin - I may be the only one on this draft board rejoicing after this selection, but with CJ and Brady Quinn both going top 3, JT is a no-brainer at #4. Unless Arizona gets desperate for JT, and offers up their 2nd round pick to move up one spot, the Bucs should stay put and make this selection. The #4 pick is too early for Okoye, and the depth at DE in round 2 takes Adams out of the running.

2a. DT Justin Harrell, Tennessee - injury concerns push this first round talent into early round 2. Following Okoye and Branch, Harrell is clearly the most talented DT in the draft.

2b. DE Victor Abiamiri, Notre Dame - was solid at the Senior Bowl, is sculpted, and comes from Notre Dame; all three deciding factors for Gruden. Not to mention that Kiffin will get the young pass rushing DE he has long needed.

3. CB/S Tanard Jackson, Syracuse - physical player with good tackling ability. Could play safety or corner in the Tampa 2

4. DE Dan Bazuin, Central Michigan - big time character player with great small school production

5. WR Yamon Figurs, Kansas State - a very popular pick in Buc mocks for obvious reasons. Figurs may even get a look in round 4, given the premium placed on Hester-esque type players. If drafted, look for Figurs to return that first kickoff for a TD in Bucs history.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:03 PM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.

I really like it but am not sure if everyone will be around. I would love Harrell in round 2 but I get the impression his injury is becoming less of a concern and he'll go end of round 1. Also I've seen Tanard Jackson at the end of round 2 before. The only pick I don't really like is Figurs. For some reason I'm intrigued by Johnnie Lee Higgins there.
StaticGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Decent mock but I question the Jackson pick. Do you really think he has the ability to play safety in the league? I think we would be better off going after an actual safety somewhere, someone like a Wendling, Rouse, Merriweather, Weddle etc.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Booger
Veteran

Booger hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
Decent mock but I question the Jackson pick. Do you really think he has the ability to play safety in the league? I think we would be better off going after an actual safety somewhere, someone like a Wendling, Rouse, Merriweather, Weddle etc.
Fair comment, but I like Jackson over Wendling and Rouse.

I would take a long look at somebody like Meriweather or Griffin if they were still available at #35, especially if we go DL in round 1.

In my opinion, the value of a DE is higher at #35 than Weddle, and I think that he will be gone by #64. I love the guy, but we may have to trade up in to the middle of round 2 to get him.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:33 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only pick I would dislike is the Harrell selection. He's a good player but not the kind of UT for our defense. He projects as more of a NT like Hovan. I like Ray McDonald a lot more and I know you like him as well, Booger.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:43 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the Thomas Harrel and abiamiri combo with the first three picks,the game is won and lost in the trenches, not a big fan of jackson though
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:14 AM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
The only pick I would dislike is the Harrell selection. He's a good player but not the kind of UT for our defense. He projects as more of a NT like Hovan. I like Ray McDonald a lot more and I know you like him as well, Booger.
I like Harrell and while his scouting reports will say he's not a sack artist, everytime I've watched him he gets penetration into the backfield. As nice as it was having Warren Sapp notch double digit sacks from the inside, it's a rarity. He was the only tackle in the league last year in the top 25 for sacks. I think a player like Harrell would still help the defense by collapsing the pocket and letting the ends get the actual sacks.

I have serious questions about Ray Mac being an every down 4-3 tackle.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:00 AM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticGator View Post
I like Harrell and while his scouting reports will say he's not a sack artist, everytime I've watched him he gets penetration into the backfield. As nice as it was having Warren Sapp notch double digit sacks from the inside, it's a rarity. He was the only tackle in the league last year in the top 25 for sacks. I think a player like Harrell would still help the defense by collapsing the pocket and letting the ends get the actual sacks.

I have serious questions about Ray Mac being an every down 4-3 tackle.
good post that I agree with, why do you have negative rep?

we cant expect any DT we take to be a double digit sack master. Even Amobi Okoye would not be some elite rusher like Sapp was.

-sig by jkpigskin
-black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:36 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -black View Post
good post that I agree with, why do you have negative rep?

we cant expect any DT we take to be a double digit sack master. Even Amobi Okoye would not be some elite rusher like Sapp was.
Somehow the Buccaneers need to find an impact UT. Whether that be through Harrell, or MacDonald remains to be seen, but we definitely need someone who is going to wreak havoc in the pocket.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:40 AM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wrecking havoc in the pockett does not neccesarily mean double digit sacks. We Need a UT that will dominate the inside and let our ends rush the passer.

-sig by jkpigskin
Old 04-27-2007, 08:51 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
wrecking havoc in the pockett does not neccesarily mean double digit sacks. We Need a UT that will dominate the inside and let our ends rush the passer.
I never said it did, all I said was we need an impact at UT which we do not currently have.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:04 AM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

then I agree

although Whyms is servicable (he isnt some bum). We could live without a UT this year and go for one next year. Hovan and Whyms are both under 30 and Carter should be decent. We need two DE's though, since I belive Both Spires and Rice will be gone next year

get our two DE's now, recoop cap from Rice and Spires, then go after an impact UT next year (preferably Demario Presseley)

-sig by jkpigskin
Old 04-27-2007, 09:13 AM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

Quote:
then I agree

although Whyms is servicable (he isnt some bum). We could live without a UT this year and go for one next year. Hovan and Whyms are both under 30 and Carter should be decent. We need two DE's though, since I belive Both Spires and Rice will be gone next year

get our two DE's now, recoop cap from Rice and Spires, then go after an impact UT next year (preferably Demario Presseley)
Yup. That's what I said in my mock thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticGator View Post
Basically I just don't like the defensive tackles that will be slotted to the Bucs. I think Mebane stinks and I only see Ray Mac as a 3-4 end. The only one I'm kind of interested in is Antonio Johnson. So I'd rather capitalize on a strong DE class and not reach on some weak DTs. Next year looks pretty good with Okam, Pressley, Ellis, and Dorsey off the top of my head. I feel this is a sounder strategy for long term success.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
then I agree

Maybe we could swindle Chicago out of Tommie Harris :)

Old 04-27-2007, 07:19 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
then I agree

There's a lot of gray areas when it comes to our UT position right now. Wyms is a solid starter and Carter could potentially provide a nice rotation. The problem is that Wyms has major durability concerns and Carter is aging. We don't need a young stud at UT, but we need to take one in the 4th at the very least. Depth is minimal and once again Wyms cannot handle full-time duty with his aggressive style. Ray McDonald or Kareem Brown would suffice for the moment, and even a guy like Marcus Thomas is a possibility with Gruden's history of liking talented players with problems.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-27-2007, 07:23 PM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

I agree. Guess I should have re-worded it. We could live without a first round or big name UT this year. We could always use good depth though.

-sig by jkpigskin
Old 04-27-2007, 07:56 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
There's a lot of gray areas when it comes to our UT position right now. Wyms is a solid starter and Carter could potentially provide a nice rotation. The problem is that Wyms has major durability concerns and Carter is aging. We don't need a young stud at UT, but we need to take one in the 4th at the very least. Depth is minimal and once again Wyms cannot handle full-time duty with his aggressive style. Ray McDonald or Kareem Brown would suffice for the moment, and even a guy like Marcus Thomas is a possibility with Gruden's history of liking talented players with problems.
I think that if the Buccaneers do not nab Okoye in the 1st round, then there is really not many other potential UT's for the future who could really help this franchise. We may have to settle for a Wyms/Carter rotation for a year and see where we stand for next years draft.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:13 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know some of the hate him ( 24cadillac24) but if marcus thomas is there in the fourth round or even late third, we got to get him. He can be a great UT
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:16 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
I know some of the hate him ( 24cadillac24) but if marcus thomas is there in the fourth round or even late third, we got to get him. He can be a great UT
He was absolutely dominant in 5 games as a Senior. I'd like to hear what -black has to say about him. I wouldn't touch him until the 4th, but I like his talents in a weak UT class.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-27-2007, 09:30 PM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

Quote:
He was absolutely dominant in 5 games as a Senior. I'd like to hear what -black has to say about him. I wouldn't touch him until the 4th, but I like his talents in a weak UT class.
Quote:
8. Marcus Thomas Florida

2006 Statistics 26 tackles 4 sacks

Measurables 6'5 293

Marcus Thomas at one point was a lock for the 1st round of the draft. Good size, fast, strong, and had numerous pass rusher moves. But then came the suspensions as he violated team rules and then got into trouble for using drugs. He was given chance after chance, but was eventually kicked off the team in the middle of the season. He was a four year starter, and is phsycaly as talented as any DT in this years draft, and probably has more upside than Okoye. His character problems will keep him out of the 1st round, but because of his talent, he could potentially sneak into the 2nd. Then again, his character could also cause him to slide, from anywhere as low as the 4th or 5th round. His stock is up in the air, and so will be the team who drafts him. Is a great boom, or a bad bust type prospect

Comparison on the field-Warren Sapp
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...ead.php?t=3266

In every Mock I have made I have had us snatching him up. Watched him ALOT in his career and is physically the best DT in the draft. I still kind of hate him because he originally signed with FSU and then switched to UF, but he is immensely talented. Needs to just lay off the weed though

-sig by jkpigskin