Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum

Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum Discuss the Eagles.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:02 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
I have a feeling one of the RBs (Hutn and Ilaoa) will end up at FB. Both have the size to do it, and both have good hands, but Hunt is the better blocker, so we may be looking at Hunt as our new FB, and Ilaoa as our big RB. I'm upset we didn't get Ben Patrick, he could have gone in the second or third round. We'll find out what happens with him. I think he will be one of the bigger steals out of this draft. I like the Gaddis pick, and the Barksdale pick makes sense. He has the capability to play Nickel for us in the future.
Or we could be looking at the resurgence of the three headed monster rushing attack. That would be badass.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:28 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How about undrafted player in the S spot Leonard Peter from Hawaii, he is like Troy Polamalu, only 25 yrs old,

There had to be some reason Patrick did not get drafted early, something like Why did he go from a big school to one like Delaware
Old 04-30-2007, 01:18 AM    (permalink
importrx7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningham06 View Post
If Spikes plays SAM then we will have him .

Heard Jim Johnson say today Spikes will play weak side!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 02:31 AM    (permalink
Bigp5437
Rookie

Bigp5437 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigp5437 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigp5437 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigp5437 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigp5437 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigp5437 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigp5437 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigp5437 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigp5437 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigp5437 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigp5437 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
How about undrafted player in the S spot Leonard Peter from Hawaii, he is like Troy Polamalu, only 25 yrs old,

There had to be some reason Patrick did not get drafted early, something like Why did he go from a big school to one like Delaware
Not sure about why he didnt get drafted earlier, he showed he could play against top competition, but the reason he ended up at Delaware was he graduated, but had an extra year of eligibility left and decided to go to Delaware where they're known for their passing attack, so he would have a chance to be featured. And it served him well, he might not have gotten any attention had he just came straight out of Duke. Still don't know why he didnt get drafted earlier though...

Last edited by Bigp5437 : 04-30-2007 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Wrong school name
Bigp5437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:36 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He was is balanced too, and his coach, who a freind of mine knows, is a little confused over that as well. He will surprise people over his career if you ask me.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:42 AM    (permalink
Black Majic

I'm very disgusted with this draft. Personally i would have chosen Michael bush over Hunt. I dont even think its a guarantee that he'll make the team. We'll see in training camp. the Kolb pick was a disaster. Mcnabb's self esteem is already at an all time low so y make him suicidal with pressure. Qb of the future what?... does make sense if farve and trent green are playing forever. i expect mcnabb to be here for at least 4 more years. I was also disgusted, (as u can tell i want to choke) that we didnt pick ben Patrick if LJ isnt going to be around next year. I have beef with the eagles now..Actually i have beef with fat Andy, Stay away from the cheesesteaks
Old 04-30-2007, 09:44 AM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would have rather gotten Chris Houston with our 1st pick and Troy Smith with our 2nd 5th rounder, then Patrick with our 6th rounder.

What looks better -

QB- Kevin Kolb
CB- Rashad Barksdale
TE- Brent Celek

or

QB- Troy Smith
CB- Chris Houston
TE- Ben Patrick
Old 04-30-2007, 10:49 AM    (permalink
machoking6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
I would have rather gotten Chris Houston with our 1st pick and Troy Smith with our 2nd 5th rounder, then Patrick with our 6th rounder.

What looks better -

QB- Kevin Kolb
CB- Rashad Barksdale
TE- Brent Celek

or

QB- Troy Smith
CB- Chris Houston
TE- Ben Patrick
Troy Smith would've been a good pick had Andy Reid been producing a documentary on dwarfs.

The way I look at it, us passing on Ben Patrick shows me that the Eagles are confident in re-signing L.J. Smith. All we need from Celek right now is for him to be a solid #3 option, and a potential #2 TE. Maybe he is more sure handed than Patrick? I don't know. None of us know much on Celek, unless someone here is a huge Cincinatti Bearcats fan.

Chris Houston would've been someone nice to groom into a nickel back and future starter role. But I would definitely take the combination of picks we received (Stewart Bradley and I believe C.J. Gaddis).

Regardless of what they did, it's finalized now. We're better off trying to find good in the picks rather than nitpicking at what they should've done. My main point of this reply though: Troy Smith sucks. Thank you and good night.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:02 AM    (permalink
Black Majic

Troy Smith will have a better career than our draft pick. Can anybody explain y one incident makes a player "a Character concern". i see to many of these labels. But who doesnt make bad choices atleast once. Ask yourself that. I know i have but did i do it again no. Sports writers and coaches and scouts make to much out of it. Once again the bad makes more headlines then the good. Andy reids kids have character concerns, so i say big deal as long as its not a continuing history. Go eagles, id take troy, chris, and Ben anyday.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:09 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm also unhappy with the Kolb pick, but I'm not really concerned about McNabb's self esteem. McNabb has been a bit of a primadonna crybaby the last 2 seasons. He is now 31 years old and is coming off an ACL tear. He hasn't played a full season since 2003 (2004 counts, but he only played in all of 13 games). Regardless, he has had 2 significant surgeries in the last 2 years. His health and future are concerning. Say what you want about Kolb, but he has a very good arm with excellent short-medium range accuracy. It will take the team another 2 years to see what it has with Kolb. If he's a future star and starter, then the Eagles made a good move. If not, then it sucks.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:16 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Majic View Post
Troy Smith will have a better career than our draft pick. Can anybody explain y one incident makes a player "a Character concern". i see to many of these labels. But who doesnt make bad choices atleast once. Ask yourself that. I know i have but did i do it again no. Sports writers and coaches and scouts make to much out of it. Once again the bad makes more headlines then the good. Andy reids kids have character concerns, so i say big deal as long as its not a continuing history. Go eagles, id take troy, chris, and Ben anyday.
I don't agree with you about Troy Smith, but it's all a matter of opinion. As of right now, Kolb and Smith are both at 0 attempts, 0 completions, 0 INT's, and 0 TD's. Neither will start next season. Both are behind established players and need to adapt to the pro level. Troy Smith has better mobility, but I think Kolb is a better fit for the West Coast Offense. Kolb is also a legit 6'3", while Smith is a wee lass at under 6' tall. Our OLine is extremely tall, so it would be difficult for Smith to see over them to make throws. I also believe TS's accuracy from the pocket is below average. His decision making under pressure is also not thrilling. I'd rather have the player who made multiple reads in a spread offense than the guy who relied on athleticism in the Big 10 and couldn't make plays against top defenses.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 04-30-2007, 11:50 AM    (permalink
machoking6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
I don't agree with you about Troy Smith, but it's all a matter of opinion. As of right now, Kolb and Smith are both at 0 attempts, 0 completions, 0 INT's, and 0 TD's. Neither will start next season. Both are behind established players and need to adapt to the pro level. Troy Smith has better mobility, but I think Kolb is a better fit for the West Coast Offense. Kolb is also a legit 6'3", while Smith is a wee lass at under 6' tall. Our OLine is extremely tall, so it would be difficult for Smith to see over them to make throws. I also believe TS's accuracy from the pocket is below average. His decision making under pressure is also not thrilling. I'd rather have the player who made multiple reads in a spread offense than the guy who relied on athleticism in the Big 10 and couldn't make plays against top defenses.
Finally someone who realizes that Troy Smith isn't as good as advertised. Thank you. Troy Smith will be the next Charlie Ward. Better yet, the next Joey Hamilton. How bout the next Brad Banks? Or the next Eric Crouch? Nah, I got it, the next Tee Martin. You catch my drift.

Everyone is hating on Kevin Kolb, and I can understand where we could've addressed another need. But there was an NFL Draft in 99 that had Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Akili Smith, Daunte Culpepper, and Cade McNown as the top QBs. Couch was off the board, and Andy Reid and the Eagles were on the clock. And who did we take? Donovan McNabb, who has clearly been the best of the 5. I would like to think he and the rest of the organization have a good knack for selecting very solid QBs. In this case, they chose Kolb over the likes of John Beck, Trent Edwards, Drew Stanton, and Troy Smith. Could it be a very similar situation? I don't know. But from Andy Reid's history, so far we're batting 1.000. Not too shabby.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by machoking6 View Post
Finally someone who realizes that Troy Smith isn't as good as advertised. Thank you. Troy Smith will be the next Charlie Ward. Better yet, the next Joey Hamilton. How bout the next Brad Banks? Or the next Eric Crouch? Nah, I got it, the next Tee Martin. You catch my drift.

I never said Troy Smith was the greatest player ever, I implied that Troy Smith would have been much better value in the late 5th round than Kolb was in the early 2nd.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:54 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

The Eagles have drafted 3 QB's since Reid took over. McNabb, Feeley, and Andy Hall. McNabb panned out marvelously, and Feeley won us some games, then was traded to Miami for a draft pick (Reggie Brown), then came back and is now the backup. For a 5th round pick, I would say he has been successful. Andy Hall never panned out, but as a 6th round compensatory selection, I'm not bothered. So, Reid and Heckert took 3 QB's over the last 8 drafts before this one. They had a 67% success rate. I'll take those odds on Kolb.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:56 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
I never said Troy Smith was the greatest player ever, I implied that Troy Smith would have been much better value in the late 5th round than Kolb was in the early 2nd.
That is a very fair point to make. I still believe that Troy Smith will not amount to much in the NFL. His scrambling abilities will be negated by the quality of defenses. His height issues will also be magnified. I just don't see Smith having the tools to succeed as a starting NFL QB. Kolb, with some development time, has much better skills for the WCO. That is my opinion. Neither Smith nor Kolb is ready now, but I think Kolb has a stronger skill set.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:13 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That is a very fair point to make. I still believe that Troy Smith will not amount to much in the NFL. His scrambling abilities will be negated by the quality of defenses. His height issues will also be magnified. I just don't see Smith having the tools to succeed as a starting NFL QB. Kolb, with some development time, has much better skills for the WCO. That is my opinion. Neither Smith nor Kolb is ready now, but I think Kolb has a stronger skill set.
Agreed, that is a good analysis.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:14 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Leonard Peters
Old 05-01-2007, 11:58 AM    (permalink
Black Majic

Height really isnt the best thing to measure a qb on. What about Flutie flakes, Drew brees, Vick. my cousin said the other day that troy smith wont be able to throw to his left becasue Jonathan Ogden's(6'8) helmet will knock do passes all day. Lol but i think the ravens will give him a chance to succeed and Ogden will probably retire soon anyway. road block gone. And if u watch the ravens now they throw the short and intermidiate passes and pound the ball. I think he's more promising then Boller. As for Kolb, i can complete 60% of my passes out of a spread. I think what Reid see's is someone who's a gunslinger which fits perfectly with his 70:30 pass to run ratio.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:22 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Height isn't the best thing to measure, but it can be a very important factor when considering a QB's potential. Doug Flutie was an effective QB, but he wasn't a superstar with amazing numbers. Certain offensive sets and plays just didn't work for him. He had to work very hard just to stay relevant. Brees is 6" tall, but he has long arms and throws "tall" (on his toes with perfect form).

I believe that Troy Smith has a lot of poise and a lot of heart, but I do not believe his accuracy and decision making are adequate to run the Andy Reid WCO. In college, he was able to throw to 2 first round WR's and work off the running game of an NFL RB. That helped him a ton. He had simple reads to make and had an excellent OLine that gave him protection. When things broke down, he was able to use his athleticism to make plays. Much of his athleticism will be negated by the quality of NFL defenses.

In addition to my other concerns, I do not believe he has the overall skill set to effectively run the Eagles offense. He lacks oomph on his deep ball, his mechanics are average, and I'm not thrilled with the way he often threw off his back foot. That stuff will get him killed in the NFL. I don't think that Smith would be a good fit on the Eagles. He could have a future somewhere, but not in Philly.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:27 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

I have finally had the chance to go back to look at some game tape on Kolb. Here are some things that I have noticed:

1. He has a very quick release. He loads and unloads the ball very quickly.

2. He has excellent awareness of pressure and is able to move around while keeping his head up.

3. He can throw on the run very well.

4. He has the arm strength to make every throw necessary.

5. Solid playfake skills. Looked very smooth with his dropbacks.

Negatives:

1. Was only required to make 1-2 reads in college. Will need to improve that in the NFL with checkdowns and 4-5 reads.

2. Lots of shotgun work, not a lot of time under center. Will need to work on mechanics and footwork dropping straight back while making reads.

3. Competition often bit on play design and play fakes, giving his receivers wide open looks. Anyone can hit wide open WR's.

4. The defensive pressure was minimal. Often times, he was working without a lot of people in his face. I would like to see how he works out of those situations.

5. Good feet, but not great. He's not going to be a runner, but he can take off and make plays. He needs to stay alive and not try to win with his legs.

Overall, I am comfortable with his fit in the offense. I don't necessarily see him as a #36 overall pick, but he has a solid skill set, excellent accuracy, and I like his mechanics throwing the ball. I also saw some interviews with him, and he seems like the kind of guy who can lead a team.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:46 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

guys reminds me of Garcia
Old 05-01-2007, 03:15 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

I see Kolb more as a Hasselbeck than a Garcia. He is bigger than Garcia and less mobile. I see a lot of Matt Hasselbeck in Kolb at this point.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Quote:
I see Kolb more as a Hasselbeck than a Garcia. He is bigger than Garcia and less mobile. I see a lot of Matt Hasselbeck in Kolb at this point.
That is a good comparison
Old 05-01-2007, 04:30 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

I definitely agree. ha

Old 05-01-2007, 05:48 PM    (permalink
LitoSheppard
Veteran

LitoSheppard needs more cowbell.

Round 2A. While being a shocker, Still grade A
Great pick IMO, Kolb is in McNabb is out hopefully, in 2 years when Kolb is devolped you will thank Reid. McNabb, while being a exiting player, is not our QB of the future, Kolb has some great tools and should excel in the NFL
Round 2B. Fine pick B
Everyone knows the Eagles needed a DE, and he was the BOA

^ bantx
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROY_FROM_YONDER View Post
**** this forum it will never ever been good cause its memebers eat doo doo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
I just left him negative rep saying "I don't eat doo doo".
LitoSheppard is offline   Reply With Quote