Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 04-28-2007, 09:58 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Discuss the Giants 2007 Draft Picks

I figured we could use a nice, clean, thread to put discuss all the players we get in the draft this year. Wait until our first pick to post here.

Last edited by Forenci : 04-28-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Forenci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:01 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ross? Meh.

I really like Ross, I just don't like that he is 25 years old as a rookie.

Sigh. Guess it could've been worse with Staley or a linebacker at that spot.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hmm, I'm not a huge fan
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Shockey80

I am very disappointed. He is already 26 and a corner. I imagine that teams offered us good value for pick #20 with Quinn on the board (and Jax, dallas and KC right behind us).

Instead we got Aaron Ross. I dont like it at all. Staley, Poz, Reggie Nelson, or a WR would have been a better pick imo
Old 04-28-2007, 03:05 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im not a fan AT ALL!!! we passed on BEASON, BRANCH, NELSON for a 25 year old rookie CB? there is a lot of depth @ CB in this draft and with revis and hall gone i think it was a bad move. we could have gotten josh wilson, mccauley, etc in the 2nd round and got beason or branch 1st. this was a bad decision

sig by jkpigskin

2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS
hugegmenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:09 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey80 View Post
I am very disappointed. He is already 26 and a corner. I imagine that teams offered us good value for pick #20 with Quinn on the board (and Jax, dallas and KC right behind us).

Instead we got Aaron Ross. I dont like it at all. Staley, Poz, Reggie Nelson, or a WR would have been a better pick imo
i totally agree. with the value that was on the board there i think it was ridiculous to take him. there is a lot of value @ CB in the 2nd round in wilson, mccauley, etc. we passed on beason, branch, houston, nelson, heck i would rather have poz. ur right we could have entertained trade offers to cle, det, etc who want quinn. ross is 25 years old! bad pick jerry reese

sig by jkpigskin

Old 04-28-2007, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

The more I think about it, the smarter this pick is.

Now, I don't know if it was a superb pick, but it was smart.

Why take Branch when Robbins and Cofield come on strong, not to mention Bell being that big guy we need. Robbins is getting up there, but I still think it wouldn't be prudent to take him.

Nelson? What if Demps and Wilson pan out? Waste of pick right there.

Staley? I supported him before the Draft, but once it was at our pick I was thinking, "Please, please - do not make this pick."

Beason? I don't like Beason. Not what we need in a linebacker.

I don't know. I think this is one of those picks we'll learn to like as Giants fans, just because if you THINK about it if we took Branch or Nelson they may have been for nothing.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:21 PM    (permalink
Shockey80

And Dallas made the trade we should have.

We could have the Browns 08 first rounder and this years second rounder....

It would have been a top 10 pick for sure.

Great job Reese. You suck
Old 04-28-2007, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its tough, I wanted a corner, Houston was my #2 rated corner in this draft so I'm upset we didn't get him, but Ross provides help on returns, and I think thats what pushed us over the top on him.

Hopefully it pans out
Old 04-28-2007, 03:25 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
The more I think about it, the smarter this pick is.

Now, I don't know if it was a superb pick, but it was smart.

Why take Branch when Robbins and Cofield come on strong, not to mention Bell being that big guy we need. Robbins is getting up there, but I still think it wouldn't be prudent to take him.

Nelson? What if Demps and Wilson pan out? Waste of pick right there.

Staley? I supported him before the Draft, but once it was at our pick I was thinking, "Please, please - do not make this pick."

Beason? I don't like Beason. Not what we need in a linebacker.

I don't know. I think this is one of those picks we'll learn to like as Giants fans, just because if you THINK about it if we took Branch or Nelson they may have been for nothing.
Doesnt matter. im sure your right it is something we will learn to like but the fact is- he was not the right decision in my opinion. I would much rather have had chris houston or wilson or mccauley in the 2nd. its not like ross brings a different dimension to the defense- hes not that fast. we needed speed in the secondary which these guys could have provided. ross is 25 almost 26 years old! that is ridiculous to take a guy already aged in the 1st round of the nfl draft. by time he adjusts to the game and to the team hes 27! yes branch , dt, is not a direct NEED but hes a steal at the 20th pick. i wanted beason the most and we messed up

sig by jkpigskin

Old 04-28-2007, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
And Dallas made the trade we should have.

We could have the Browns 08 first rounder and this years second rounder....

It would have been a top 10 pick for sure.

Great job Reese. You suck
Hah, wow, shows how much you know.

I doubt Cleveland offered us even close to that.

Cowboys had huge leverage in the fact they thought Kansas City would be taking him next.

You have absolutely zero idea what they were thinking, so before you insult Jerry Reese you should take not you have zero idea what they were offering us, if they even did offer us something. They might've though it would take even more to get our spot.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Ross is 24
Old 04-28-2007, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Shockey80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Hah, wow, shows how much you know.

I doubt Cleveland offered us even close to that.

Cowboys had huge leverage in the fact they thought Kansas City would be taking him next.

You have absolutely zero idea what they were thinking, so before you insult Jerry Reese you should take not you have zero idea what they were offering us, if they even did offer us something. They might've though it would take even more to get our spot.
We were 1 pick difference from Dallas.

If Reese actually made a call to the Browns, I am sure that they would have made the exact same deal with us instead of Dallas. Theres no reason they wouldnt.

Its mismanagement on Reese's part.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:31 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugegmenfan View Post
Doesnt matter. im sure your right it is something we will learn to like but the fact is- he was not the right decision in my opinion. I would much rather have had chris houston or wilson or mccauley in the 2nd. its not like ross brings a different dimension to the defense- hes not that fast. we needed speed in the secondary which these guys could have provided. ross is 25 almost 26 years old! that is ridiculous to take a guy already aged in the 1st round of the nfl draft. by time he adjusts to the game and to the team hes 27! yes branch , dt, is not a direct NEED but hes a steal at the 20th pick. i wanted beason the most and we messed up
I agree, I'd rather have someone else, but it's not too bad.

Also, just so you all know, Ross is 24, he'll be 25 in the first week of the NFL so you know.

He might be the most pro-ready cornerback, so, hopefully, he'll be starting for us.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:34 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
We were 1 pick difference from Dallas.

If Reese actually made a call to the Browns, I am sure that they would have made the exact same deal with us instead of Dallas. Theres no reason they wouldnt.

Its mismanagement on Reese's part.
Completely wrong, again you have absolutely no idea what was going on behind the scenes. For all you know, Cleveland offered us (if anything) a 2nd and 3rd rounder. Maybe even less.

My guess is when Cleveland realized KC might take him, they threw whatever they could at Dallas to get the pick.

I'm not saying it was a great pick, or that they didn't offer us anything - I'm just saying you have zero clue what happened.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:35 PM    (permalink
dhoe20
Rookie

dhoe20 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
lol...

To put this in a good perspective, Ross is 24 yes he turns 25 a week or 2 after the season starts. But a certain all-pro quality CB in our division was 24 when he was drafted, Terrence Newman. Tye Hill, who is only going to be in his second year this season, is also 24 turn 25 in Summer. Age is being overblown and played out.
dhoe20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:49 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate the Ross pick with an utter passion! God damn!
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:00 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm with you guys. I think Number 10 is the only one that likes this pick.

Reese better do a hell of a good job in rounds 2-7. I'm starting to think this guy is a complete moron. Poor decisions starting from cutting Petitgout, then making no moves in free agency, then drafting a 25 year old corner that runs a 4.5 40 in round one.
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:02 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
I hate the Ross pick with an utter passion! God damn!
ive come to the conclusion i dont hate it. its just an ok pick. ross does not have the upside/natural skill that chris houston has but i think is actually more of a safe pick. i think guys like beason, nelson and even branch who is still on the board, have brighter nfl futures but ross is the kind of guy who can start right away. its an ok pick. im not thrilled. i was originally furious but ive come to the realization its an ok pikc.

sig by jkpigskin

Old 04-28-2007, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

As I said before, Houston fits the system better, and could develop into the better corner, but Ross could provide #2 right away (and could be an eventual #1) and will help on returns
Old 04-28-2007, 05:06 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
ive come to the conclusion i dont hate it. its just an ok pick. ross does not have the upside/natural skill that chris houston has but i think is actually more of a safe pick. i think guys like beason, nelson and even branch who is still on the board, have brighter nfl futures but ross is the kind of guy who can start right away. its an ok pick. im not thrilled. i was originally furious but ive come to the realization its an ok pikc.

He has to start right away, because he is damn 25! lol. Plus he only has one year starting experience in the pros, and is going to start right away in the pros. I love Reese, but this as a moronic pick in my opinion.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:14 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

I'm actually starting to like the pick a little. I don't think the Browns would've given us the same deal the Cowboys got. I wouldn't take Nelson because we may have zero need for him in 2008 and the next year. That and throw on the fact that there seems to be something making Alan Branch fall. Clearly it's more than him just 'slipping'. Maybe something in the interviews?

Rest assure, I think in a month we'll all love this pick to be honest. I don't know why, I just think we will.

I also find it funny now how just yesterday so many people said Reese was amazing for not overspending for free agents and cutting injured prone players like Luke and Lavaar - now it seems like everyone thinks he's terrible because he went with a cautious pick because we might have a completely different coaching staff next year.

Did he take the best pick? Probably not. Did he take the smartest pick? I would say yes.

If we sign Ross to a six year deal, we'll be getting a ton of life span out of him. I'm liking the airing on the side of caution this year. I hope he does well in the second round though.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:37 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

who do u guys expect to draft round 2? what positions? what players? honestly i would be really inclined to trading up for justin blalock who is somehow still available. he would help our power running game tremendously and could start right away. we could move diehl outside and have depth in backups like reugamer and seubert.

sig by jkpigskin

Old 04-28-2007, 05:41 PM    (permalink
Shockey80

I heard Ross talking on the radio and he was talking about how he gets to live in NY for 4 or 5 years. Not saying he wants to spend his career here.

I am not thrilled about Ross, but I am even more upset that we didnt make a deal with the Browns. They would have offered us the same thing they offered the Cowboys, but Reese obviously wasnt paying attention and manning the phones. I would love to have a top 10 pick next year
Old 04-28-2007, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Quote:
I heard Ross talking on the radio and he was talking about how he gets to live in NY for 4 or 5 years. Not saying he wants to spend his career here.

I am not thrilled about Ross, but I am even more upset that we didnt make a deal with the Browns. They would have offered us the same thing they offered the Cowboys, but Reese obviously wasnt paying attention and manning the phones. I would love to have a top 10 pick next year

Whatever little credibility you had you just lost. This is quite possibly the stupidist statement ever said on these forums.

I hope you die in a fire.