Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 04-29-2007, 04:40 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
It's okay everyone. 7th round picks are usually training camp cuts, anyways.
Tell that to Marques Colston. I realize he's the exception to the rule..but you don't throw these picks away either. There have been League MVP's and HOF'ers who go undrafted. Taking another QB and WR is a mistake.
I don't expect either of these 2 guys to get off the developmental squad all year (if that's even if they can make the team)

I think this draft should be graded (a term I hate) a solid C.
We addressed our nickelback situation as well as WR.
Peterson has a chance to be great...but this administration passign on Quinn will end up determining whether or not they made the right calls over the last 2 years.

How it is
QB - Jackson
RB - Peterson / Taylor
WR's - Rice / Wade / Allison.

How it could've been
QB - Quinn
RB - Taylor / MJD
WR's - Rice / Wade Allison

Childress is banking a TON on Jackson being more of a sure thing than he
probably is.

We neglected DT depth and help to a right side of an offensive line that
took more penalties than any other group in the history of the league
and didn't provide adequate passing lanes..nor did they open up enough
running lanes.

Last edited by Severe Punishment : 04-29-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:51 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sorry, I'm not a naive, ignorant Vikings fan, but I am not going to sit and ***** about this year's draft. There was no realistic way we were going to take Quinn. It just wasn't going to happen. Spielman and Childress were just BSing us and trying to mess with the other teams. Childress' ego is too big to admit that he made a mistake with Jackson. I could have put money down that we weren't going to draft Quinn. We should not be complaining about this draft, and we certainly shouldn't be crying about last years draft.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Quote:
" We should not be complaining about this draft, "
Whose complaining ? Just because I'm realistic about our picks and not
the typical Viking fan who sees we took a couple WR's and a RB and
all of a sudden thinks this team is anything more than a 7 wins MAX team
doesn't mean I'm "whinning"...it merely means things could've been much better.
And I believe that had Arizona taken Peterson and left us with Levi Brown / Anderson and Quinn ...I don't see how we could've gone another way.
One of the main reasons why Quinn "Fell" is that the Browns finally made the smart move from the head and not the heart. They finally got the Oline help they needed...good for them. THEN they show some nuts and realize that even with Joe Thomas and Jammal Lewis that Charlie Frye and Derrick Anderson just aren't good enough for the league.
So realizing this they trade next years' #1 (a pick they'd likely have looked for a QB anyways) to get a sure thing in Quinn instead of the "is he a system QB" in Brohm. After Brohm there really isn't anything to get excited about as far as NFL QB's. potentially comin out next year.
They gambled. We'll see if it works out, I believe it will.
And I applaud their effort it doing MORE than "just enough"..which is what Speilman and Chilly did. They got a RB who could very well be the next Brian Westbrook....or he could turn out to be another Cedrick Benson or Caddilac Williams. Our right side of the line isn't good enough as it sets to MAKE a RB great..it'll have to happen because AD is as good as Viking fans will want to believe he is. I'm going to remain skeptical until he finishes 15 games without getting injured.

Quote:
and we certainly shouldn't be crying about last years draft.
This draft doesn't end with the 3rd WR we took. It doesn't end with Mr. Irrelevant it will really "end" in 3 years. THEN you can evaluate
what kind of a weekend this one was.
Not until.

And I realize you and alot of Viking fans will open up the papar tommorow and read a bunch of websites that give the Vikings a "Grade" of B+ or A
and get all excited. ..just for my amusment I went back those 3 years to
2003 and found the "draft grades" for our beloved purple warriors.
here ya go

"Minnesota Vikings: A
Kenechi Udeze, Dontarrious Thomas and Darrion Scott will help immensely for a team that needed speed on defense, particularly speed outside off the edge. Nat Dorsey and Mewelde Moore were my top two players available on Day 2 and the Vikings got them both. Rod Davis will also help the front seven and Deandre Iland is a versatile defensive back, while Jeff Dugan is a strong blocker at the tight end spot."

The complete draft review can be found here.
http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2825346
Old 04-29-2007, 05:13 PM    (permalink
MNRunLeft
Rookie

MNRunLeft hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I feel that Quinn was over-hyped due to the fact that he was a 4 year starter at Notre Dame. He has some big question marks and I personally thought the Browns gave up to much to get him. Adrian Peterson has hall of fame potential and I don't think anyone will denie that, does Brady Quinn really have that kind of potential? I don't think he does. He's had one of the better offensive minds coaching him and he still has some real flaws that some feel might not be fixable at this point. There is no chance a player like Peterson would have slid in the draft like Quinn did, and I guess 21 teams could be wrong but I think most if not all teams had Peterson rated higher than Quinn.
MNRunLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I never said we were going to be above .500 next year. I just said this draft was better than I expected.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:22 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

What exactly were these "question marks" ??
I also believed he was overhyped in college. But not because of what he COULD DO...it was because it was what he COULDN"T do.
which was turn a very average team into a national contender.

He has not only the skill set and NFL body but he's more advanced (by probably 2 years) mentally over any other QB in this years class.

Over the past 2 years we've passed on Cutler, Leinart, and Quinn for Jackson...he damn well better be worth it. Or it will be Childress who pays the price.

As far as Peterson and the "no one can deny his talent" ...no one can Question any of the top 7 picks. but if potential were championships than the dome would be littered with lombardi trophies.
And no one can also deny Peterson's injury history. Right or wrong he has to prove he can stay healthy more than any other pick as well as prove he was worth when there's a much better class of RB's coming out next year ..and the year after.

Last edited by Severe Punishment : 04-29-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:23 PM    (permalink
MNRunLeft
Rookie

Who do you all think the Vikings should be contacting as UDFA's?
Here are some I think should be high on the list...
Tim Duckworth, G Auburn
Kenny Scott, CB Georgia Tech
Julius Wilson, OT UAB
Ola Dagunduro, DT Nebraska
Joe Newton, TE Oregon State
Jessie Daniels, S LSU
Old 04-29-2007, 05:24 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment
How it is
QB - Jackson
RB - Peterson / Taylor
WR's - Rice / Wade / Allison.
you have got to be kidding me with the WR's we all may not like williamson that much but there is no way that he wont be a starting WR on this team for the season opener there is just way too much money invested in him to not give him an ample amount of chances to break out
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
There is no chance a player like Peterson would have slid in the draft like Quinn did, and I guess 21 teams could be wrong but I think most if not all teams had Peterson rated higher than Quinn.
your looking at it in the wrong way Quinn on slid so far because after miami there just wasnt any teams in need of a young QB I personally thought the Texans should have drafted him at #10 rather than just sticking with the most over rated player in the league Matt Schaub
Old 04-29-2007, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Sorry that "projected lineup" were how they would've looked at the end of next year (forgot to mention that)
Williamson I expect not to be resigned after this season.
There's really no reason to believe that all of a sudden he'll be able to catch the ball.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:31 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
Sorry that "projected lineup" were how they would've looked at the end of next year (forgot to mention that)
Williamson I expect not to be resigned after this season.
There's really no reason to believe that all of a sudden he'll be able to catch the ball.
There's no reason to believe that he can't work hard to improve his problems, either.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:33 PM    (permalink
RoyHall#1
Pro Bowler

RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a fan of the concensus team with the best draft (Browns) I want to say that when it's all said and one in 15 years, I think the team with the best draft this year will be the Vikings. Great draft.
RoyHall#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:34 PM    (permalink
MNRunLeft
Rookie

We never passed on Cutler or Leinart and I'm confident had one of them fell to the Vikings last season they would have been the pick, neither did. I would personally rather have either Leinart or Culter over Quinn. Quinn has some accuracy issues something he probably shouldn't have after being coached by Weis. If Weis couldn't fix these things what makes other coaches feel as if they can? It's not as if I feel Quinn can't or won't be a good NFL QB, but he wasn't the BPA at 7.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:44 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

I personally think we could have made a much more significant impact in this draft had we Taken Charles Johnson #72 overall and than used our 2 4th rounders to move back up and take Marcus McCauley or Daymeion Hughes depending on how far we could move back into the 3rd
Old 04-29-2007, 05:48 PM    (permalink
MNRunLeft
Rookie

I also liked Charles Johnson, but I'm not going to complain with getting a guy with the kind of talent that McCauley has in the 3rd round.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:49 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
I personally think we could have made a much more significant impact in this draft had we Taken Charles Johnson #72 overall and than used our 2 4th rounders to move back up and take Marcus McCauley or Daymeion Hughes depending on how far we could move back into the 3rd
That would have been good but on paper right now this Draft has been a Sucess .

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:55 PM    (permalink
amesbear
Rookie

amesbear hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I hadn't thought about it but I guess I would rather have Leinart over Quinn too. Good point MN. I think Quinn would be better than T Jack but IMO he would have been drafted at about the same place last year, behind Young, Leinart, and Cutler.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:00 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What happened to that 4th rounder we got from the Falcons trade? I could've sworn we only had one today.
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:05 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We traded to the Broncos for a 6th, 7th of this year and a 3rd of next year.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

They traded it to the broncos for a 6th, 7th, and a future 3rd.... damn you dynasty lol
Old 04-29-2007, 06:08 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

Haha lol, and we one had One 6th which is the one we got from the Broncos because we traded our 6th to TB to move up in the 4th to nab Brian Robinson which i think he would have been there when we original picked but whatever.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:11 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Yea i was scratching my head at that move
Old 04-29-2007, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

I think we made out like a bandit at WR in this Draft Sidney Rice and Aundrae Allision(and in the 5th too) i was very happy
Old 04-29-2007, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
There's no reason to believe that he can't work hard to improve his problems, either.
Ever the optimist. Maybe the Vikings secretly have the slew of horrible draft picks over the past 10 years working out at winter park "just in case" they decide to turn things around.

I'm not buying it. Williamson has some potential but to me he'll never be more than a prospect who wasted his true calling as a slot reciever slash punt returner.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:19 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
Williamson has some potential but to me he'll never be more than a prospect who wasted his true calling as a slot reciever slash punt returner.
And that is what Miami Drafted so be happy about we didnt take Ginn.