Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 04-29-2007, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm elated about Miami taking Ginn.
Honestly I didn't want Jarrett either. Rice is the youngest and
had a great 2nd 1/2 of the year last year aginst some decent CB's.
He's the youngest (I believe) of all the WR's so he could be very valuable for a long time. However I'm not holding my breath until I see him play in a few games at this level.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:58 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rice is only 20 right now, so age is not a problem for him. With the exception of him and Peterson, most of the players we drafted will turn 24 this year.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:12 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yea i agree im glad we chose Sidney Rice over jarret. Dwayne is good but Sidney's Potential is just insane
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:20 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A problem I have with Rice is that he beat up a lot of the schools with defenses inferior to the ones that Jarrett beat up. The one team they have on their schedule which they have in common is Arkansas. They each went up against 2nd Round Draft Pick Chris Houston, and Rice vastly outperformed Jarrett in that matchup.
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
A problem I have with Rice is that he beat up a lot of the schools with defenses inferior to the ones that Jarrett beat up. The one team they have on their schedule which they have in common is Arkansas. They each went up against 2nd Round Draft Pick Chris Houston, and Rice vastly outperformed Jarrett in that matchup.
Last time I checked, the Pac-10 conference is not known for it's defense.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:24 PM    (permalink
MNRunLeft
Rookie

MNRunLeft hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dynasty View Post
if he there in the 7th for us, i want him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
One of the things I find intersting about Rice is the success he had against Houston in compairison to that of the other WR's in the draft who were shut down by Houston. Rice had by far the best game of the 4 who went up against Houston last year that being Jarrett, Meachem and Bowe. I love the potential that Rice has and anyone who bring up the Troy Williamson compairison needs to get a clue they are totally diffrent players.
MNRunLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:05 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

I want to see the people that compare Rice to Williamson so I can pity them in person.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:05 PM    (permalink
the_Kid
Rookie

the_Kid hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like Rice over Jarrett. Hes quicker and he has freakish potential
the_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:06 PM    (permalink
the_Kid
Rookie

the_Kid hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Brad Childress has redeemed himself
the_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:07 PM    (permalink
the_legend_killer
Pro Bowler

the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pretty happy with the draft. Peterson and Rice were the exact picks I wanted at that spot, and McCauley is a good 3rd. The 2nd day was alright, but nothing to get too angry about because...well...it's the 2nd day. (AA was a nice 2nd day WR to grab)
the_legend_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:31 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_Kid View Post
Brad Childress has redeemed himself
Not so fast...
Old 04-29-2007, 09:44 PM    (permalink
the Laos
Rookie

the Laos hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_legend_killer View Post
Pretty happy with the draft. Peterson and Rice were the exact picks I wanted at that spot, and McCauley is a good 3rd. The 2nd day was alright, but nothing to get too angry about because...well...it's the 2nd day. (AA was a nice 2nd day WR to grab)
WORST PICKS

Aundre Allison, WR, Vikings: On the surface, Allison is similar to Clowney: both are burners who impressed coaches at the Senior Bowl. But Clowney is tough, physically and mentally, while Allison doesn't like to work the middle or block. Fifth-round receivers must prove themselves on special teams if they hope to earn roster spots; Allison will probably get lost in the crowd of journeyman veterans and fellow rookies that the Vikings have assembled at wide receiver. On closer inspection, Allison is more like Vikings second round pick Sidney Rice than Clowney: neither Rice nor Allison has any interest in doing dirty work. If Brad Childress is forced to choose for a final roster spot, he'll keep the more talented Rice and send Allison packing. At some point, the Vikings must stop collecting receivers like Allison, Rice, Bobby Wade, and Cortez Hankton and start evaluating the guys they have.

i have to say, foxsports.com has no clue how much of a steal allison could be.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:48 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
I want to see the people that compare Rice to Williamson so I can pity them in person.
Sidney Rice=Troy Williamson
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:06 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

OMG I can't believe I"m agreeing with The Laos, Allison to me
could very well being the best of the 4 WR's we took (that is if the
rumors are true and the QB we took late is a project WR)

One of the reasons we struggled so much was our inability to throw deep.
This didn't force the safety's to play back and everything was "bunched up" on offense. If Williamson would've caught just 1/2 of those deep drops
it would've opened up the field a LOT more last year.

Allison isn't a typical "grind it out" WR , a guy who'll catch slants and the in routes. he's probably going to use the same routes Williamson did (fly, deep out deep cross and a guy used in motion for the quick slant)
Wade will be the slot guy..Shiancoe (if he does have speed) would work the deep middle and the backs could chip and release into the wheel route. There's plenty of options now.

...if the Vikings struggles though I imagine it'll be Childress blamed again and not the players.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:10 PM    (permalink
bonzi
Rookie

bonzi hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

So is anyone else a little bit excited after the draft for the next season. Personally i think we could have a good year next year, not sure playoffs but a good year.
bonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:58 PM    (permalink
the Laos
Rookie

the Laos hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
OMG I can't believe I"m agreeing with The Laos, Allison to me
could very well being the best of the 4 WR's we took (that is if the
rumors are true and the QB we took late is a project WR)

One of the reasons we struggled so much was our inability to throw deep.
This didn't force the safety's to play back and everything was "bunched up" on offense. If Williamson would've caught just 1/2 of those deep drops
it would've opened up the field a LOT more last year.

Allison isn't a typical "grind it out" WR , a guy who'll catch slants and the in routes. he's probably going to use the same routes Williamson did (fly, deep out deep cross and a guy used in motion for the quick slant)
Wade will be the slot guy..Shiancoe (if he does have speed) would work the deep middle and the backs could chip and release into the wheel route. There's plenty of options now.

...if the Vikings struggles though I imagine it'll be Childress blamed again and not the players.
i'm flattered, but i agree with swagger and most viking fans here on this board that you're still a self-proclaimed know-it-all who has an obsession with brady quinn that's out of this world... i mean come on... who uses looks as reason to draft a guy? hahahaa truly one-of-a-kind, i give you that.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:05 AM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.

This kind of pisses me off everyone bags on williamson. OK lets look at the two guys that most draft experts gave usas choices

Mike Williams Has done nothing to prove he deserved to be drafted at all hardly in the first round. He has constistantly been crying and bitching about how great he is yet he got beat out by Mike Furrey a wide out from UNI. Who I will admit isnt that bad a player. But Mike was supposed to be the second coming of Terrell Owens. Which Im sure ost detriot fans will agree he has the impersonation down off the field, But even Terrell backs up his mouth once in a while.

Troy Willaimson Has started more games then mike williams scored more tds then williams and caught more balls then williams. WIlliamson has taken it upon himself to hire a hand eye coordinator had lazic eye surgery stayed after practises and worked very hard to learn his second offense in three season. I have personally never heard any crying or whining and occasionally have heard himself say he needs to get better and work harder. In todays wide outs that is hard to find. So if sidney rice is alot like troy williamson I applaud him.

Its about time some struggling atheletes stopped pointing the fingers at everyone else and started looking in the mirrior.

ALL OF THIS WAS SAID ABOUT THESE VERY SAME RECEIVERS ALL OF WHICH TURNED OUT TO PUT IN PRODUCTIVE CAREERS

JERRY RICE
CHRIS CARTER
JAVON WALKER
REGGIE WAYNE
HERMAN MOORE
TIM BROWN

NOW THERE IS NO WAY ID COMPARE WILLIAMSON TO ANY OF THESE GUYS BUT HISTORY HAS SHOWN US THAT MOST WIDE OUTS DO STRUGGLE AT FIRST. PROBABLY THE ONE THING THAT KILLED RANDY MOSS FROM BECOMING THE VERY BEST WIDE OUT EVER WAS HE DIDN'T STRUGGLE HE BECAME OVER CONFIDENT THE GAME CAME TO EASY FOR HIM AND IN RESULT HE WAS SURE HE KNEW EVERYTHING
Kid_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:34 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I hadn't thought about it but I guess I would rather have Leinart over Quinn too. Good point MN. I think Quinn would be better than T Jack but IMO he would have been drafted at about the same place last year, behind Young, Leinart, and Cutler.
Im not sure he would have been. Quinn suffered from the same thing that caused Leinart to fall, he came back for his senior season. Quinn may very well have been the first picked last year and would certainly have been a first rounder. He certainly would have gone higher and been rated much higher than TJ was.

Quote:
It's not a skill vs skill comparison. It is two guys who are picked almost entirely on potential that do have serious question marks. Both from the same school, and ironically, both taken over guys from the same school that were/are considered more sure things. The first round was a draw, both teams got shafted, I think this round will produce two studs, but I think Jarrett will be better. I quite like Rice, I only have Bowe, Jarrett and CJ ahead of him, only problem with the pick is that Jarrett was there.

Quote:
who uses looks as reason to draft a guy? hahahaa truly one-of-a-kind, i give you that.
Actually its as good a reason as any, as a tie-breaker anyway. Marketability is a massive factor these days, endorsements are just worth so much and on a team that is as unrecognizable as the Vikes, Quinn would be a big deal. You wouldnt take him over a better player because of it, but as a tie breaker, fair enough. Quinn is probably worth a good $20,000,000 more than any other rookie over the first 3 years. Thats more than just pocket change.

Quote:
Troy Willaimson Has started more games then mike williams scored more tds then williams and caught more balls then williams. WIlliamson has taken it upon himself to hire a hand eye coordinator had lazic eye surgery stayed after practises and worked very hard to learn his second offense in three season. I have personally never heard any crying or whining and occasionally have heard himself say he needs to get better and work harder. In todays wide outs that is hard to find. So if sidney rice is alot like troy williamson I applaud him.
So what you are saying is that we should give the guy a break because he is better than a guy who has done nothing and because he is apparently working hard. If he was truly working hard, surely he would improve a little bit. It's not that he is a bad person, it's that he has been a horrible player for the Vikes and until he does something about that, he is going to cop some flak. You can say all the right things all you want, but if you dont back them up they are as meaningless as someone talking trash and not backing it up, ie... ********.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:49 AM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia
So what you are saying is that we should give the guy a break because he is better than a guy who has done nothing and because he is apparently working hard. If he was truly working hard, surely he would improve a little bit. It's not that he is a bad person, it's that he has been a horrible player for the Vikes and until he does something about that, he is going to cop some flak. You can say all the right things all you want, but if you dont back them up they are as meaningless as someone talking trash and not backing it up, ie... ********.
No what i think he means is Cut the kid a break because WR's dont normally produce unitl there 3-4 year
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:44 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

I'm just curious as to where all those assclowns are that compared Quinn to Russell saying the talent surround them was "about even" ?

Saying Bowe and Davis were on the same talent level as Smardja and McKnight is an insult to Davis and Bowe.....oh and where'd the undersized Darius Walker get taken ? yeah, Quinn was the ONLY legit blue chipper on that team. Shark was good...hardly great. It's not like he was the second coming of Tim Brown.

Anyways , I said I agreed with 1 thing you said Laos, don't flatter yourself into thinking that means you have anything worth reading on here.
You expressed an opinion , not an idea, so go back to playing with legos or whatever the hell it is you do when your not trying to bash potential superstar QB's.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:49 AM    (permalink
crazyisme
Rookie

crazyisme hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

nice to see some positivity on this board. Of course after a real good draft, things tend to get that way :)

i agree with a lot of what you guys have to say, i hadnt heard the rumors about thygpen being a WR project, thats an interesting take. There are definately some guys that i hope we haul in as UDFAs...

by the way, New Orleans got another Maurice Colston this year, as they signed Rhema McKnight right away, too bad the Vikes didn't hop all over that guys, i think he could be solid.
crazyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:29 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

swagger hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
Yeah, he's still going home tonight a multi millionaire (he has the highest noteriety in the draft..his marketabilty is thru the roof now.
he gets a chance to start on a team that isn't going to give up 80+ sacks
has 2 solid weapons... a rising defense behind him and he gets to play so close to his family he'll probably need 50 tix for every game. He's still going to be one of people's 50 most beautiful people and gets to nail that sweet blonde that was on his arm all day long.

...yeah , feel sorry for him when something bad happens to the guy.
There is a word that keeps popping into my head whenever I read your Brady Quinn posts. I won't say it because you'll report me. But it starts with an "H", ends in a word for a bloodsucking mite, and has a lot of vowels.

Seriously, why are you always talking about how handsome and good-looking you think Brady Quinn is? Why are you trying to justify the greatness of his life? What's the deal? Do you have a legit excuse for it?

Brady Quinn probably lost almost $50 million. I'd hardly feel comfortable talking about how great he has it. His girl should leave him for a guy in the top-10. Is JaMarcus Russell single? Or his teammate Joe Thomas?

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:33 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

For all the bashing of Childress you've done on here Swaggar I'd hardly consider it "good fortune" that you hoped for the Peterson / Rice selections.
if they both players fail miserably, all this will prove is that neither you ..nor Spielman / Childress are competent enough to , not only choose who we take, but talk about football knowledgably either.

anyways not taking Quinn is going to set this team as well as the Dolphins
back 5 years. Mark my words.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:26 PM    (permalink
FatViking

Quinn will be Joey Harrington in five years.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:29 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

that's fine. Tarvaris Jackson will be Akili Smith THIS year.