Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 04-28-2007, 07:17 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

rickscott hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Kenny Irons at #49

I'm beginning to believe that Marvin doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to drafting RBs. Our need for a RB does not justify us using a 2nd rd pick when we have so many defensive needs. I questioned the selection of Chris Perry years ago and I don't see this guy giving us anything that Kenny Watson can't provide in the very limited time the guy will get on the field. Too many good defensive players left when we take this guy especially when we have no 3rd rd pick. He may be a good player, but not justified at this point in the draft.
rickscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IMO very bad pick for us in Rd 2.
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:25 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

y'all is crazy. IMWT!

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:32 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Are you crazy? That was a great pick, he provides the Bengals lots of things that Rudi Johnson doesn't. A different style of running and a receiving threat out of the backfield for Carson Palmer. Without an elite TE, it certainly helps to have a short yardage receiving threat.

Or at least that's what I was told when the Bengals drafted Chris Perry.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:01 AM    (permalink
Aftermath
Veteran

Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.

When Harris and Durant went just before us,i said do w/e you want in RD2 Marvin, lol.

I hope we get Siler or someone in the 4th.

Sig by yours truly.
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:51 PM    (permalink
Shahin
Veteran

Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love Kenny Irons and think he's a really good back, but I don't think he was a neccesary pick by any means. Especially in the second round. Watson is just fine.
Shahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:18 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was PISSED when I first heard this. I was gone and had no access to TV/internet but I had someone text me the pick and I was like WTF.

When I saw that Harris and Durant went right before him it eased the pain. Just unfortunate really.

Rudi isn't going to last forever and last year defenses just got used to seeing the same guy out there every run. Plus the last year I've been dreading the event that Rudi went down. Kenny Watson or Quincy Wilson aren't going to cut it.

I still think it would've been best to wait till day 2 to take a RB but the way the draft went we were kinda SOL.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:33 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrz
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't like the pick either, we have so many problems on defense, and with Chris Perry behind Rudi, there was no reason for this.
Bengalsrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:11 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrz View Post
I didn't like the pick either, we have so many problems on defense, and with Chris Perry behind Rudi, there was no reason for this.
Who were we going to take on defense though given who was left?

DE? - Two big contracts (Geathers/Smith) and a 3rd rounder last year in Frostee (who the FO/Players are very high on). Abiamiri was probably the best defender on the board.

LB? - WLB is the real spot of need, no adequate WLB's with Durant off the board.

DT? - No value.

S? - No good fits and they clearly had an eye on Marvin White (outstanding pick).

CB - Fairly obvious.

Reasons to not figure Perry into the future.

A. He's a UFA next year.
B. He's probably going to start the season on the PUP list.
C. He can't stay healthy as a backup, why would we expect him to be able to carry the load if Rudi was hurt?

I wanted defense day 1, however, who was there worth taking that was going to help the defense?

Marvin likes 2 RB systems, it worked great when Perry was actually healthy. The defenses got used to Rudi and the same pace last year which hurt the offense. A 2 RB system can open this offense up even more and he's an outstanding backup in the event of Rudi actually getting hurt. Otherwise next year if Rudi was hurt for any time we're looking at Quincy Wilson as our feature back more than likely...
Old 05-02-2007, 05:23 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrz
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hmm... good points, but even so, what good will a HB do for us? At least maybe trade the pick.
Bengalsrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:03 PM    (permalink
Scarlet&GreyBengal

give rudi a breather, maybe break a run over 20 yards, that sure would be fun to watch. Maybe even be the future back in a couple years, rudi is gathering alot of miles on him.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:14 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

I think it'll become pretty evident next year how much having another RB back there to help out Rudi will elevate Rudi's game.

It was very obviously a luxury pick. Good organizations go out and get the best players, in this case the gap between the best player of need and the best player in general was too large.

This should increase our ability to get ahead and eat clock, which in turn improves our defense.

It'll also be nice to have a homerun threat at RB, that's the one dimension I felt our offense was really lacking. Rudi is a great RB but it's nice to have a guy that can break a long one and change the momentum of the game.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:20 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

maybe we got ickey/james part II. if CP comes back he could always be used in multiple packages in the slot or in the KR game or he could be decent trade bait. im thoroughly convinced Kenny Irons will be better than Chris however.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:28 AM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

rickscott hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Thinking more about it, I think CP must be done so it's a good pick. I still think we have too many needs to be picking up the 5th rd QB to be groomed solely as a backup. Lots of QBs went undrafted that would likely qualify for now.
rickscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:36 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i didnt think it was a good pick at first but reflecting back on it it was a solid pick.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:01 AM    (permalink
bengalbuck
Rookie

bengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
I was PISSED when I first heard this. I was gone and had no access to TV/internet but I had someone text me the pick and I was like WTF.

When I saw that Harris and Durant went right before him it eased the pain. Just unfortunate really.

Rudi isn't going to last forever and last year defenses just got used to seeing the same guy out there every run. Plus the last year I've been dreading the event that Rudi went down. Kenny Watson or Quincy Wilson aren't going to cut it.

I still think it would've been best to wait till day 2 to take a RB but the way the draft went we were kinda SOL.
Good post. When you actually look at the players who were available and taken in the next 10 picks, none of them would have been a better pick, IMO. We could have reached a little for a DE like Abiamiri or Moses. There weren't any LBs taken in the vicinity. We could have reached for someone like Buster Davis.

Let's face some hard facts too. Our offense has been much, much better when Perry has been healthy (2005 for example) but he isn't likely to be healthy in 2007 and may never regain that burst and cutting ability that makes him who he is. And Rudi is solid and runs hard, but he isn't a great NFL RB. His longest run all of last season was 22 yards. Considering the number of touches he gets, that is absolutely terrible.

Also, 2 RBs is the obvious trend in the NFL. Look at the last 4 teams alive in the playoffs last season: Indy split carries between Addai and Rhodes, Chicago split carries between Jones and Benson, New Orleans split carries between Bush and McAllister, New England split carries between Dillon and Maroney. Watson is solid but I wouldn't want him getting 100 carries like all of these other guys on good teams did.
bengalbuck is offline   Reply With Quote