Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 04-29-2007, 07:40 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Give our draft a grade...

1 2(2) Calvin Johnson WR GEORGIA TECH - A+

I really hope this guy is all he is cracked up to be.

2 11(43) Drew Stanton QB MICHIGAN STATE - B

This pick makes me nervous.

2 26(58) Ikaika Alma-Francis DE HAWAII - B

This guy is a intriguing prospect. There is talk that he is being groomed replace Redding after this season. I hope he stays at DE though.

2 29(61) Gerald Alexander S BOISE STATE - C+

A tad of a reach. I've been hearing that his stock was on the climb and he would most likely went in the third round. There was talk that Baltimore wanted him but they have Landry and Reed, I'm not sure if he would CB for them.

4 6(105) AJ Davis CB NORTH CAROLINA ST - C

Most likely a return man. Not the perfect cover 2 corner. Suppose to be a burner though. Hopefully Drummond is gone.

4 18(117) Manuel Ramirez OG TEXAS TECH - A

Traded up to get this guy and I agree. I've liked him throughout this whole process. The Lions are going to be like a version of Texas Tech and he was successful there. I don't seem him starting this year becasue we actually have some depth at OG.

5 21(158) Johnny Baldwin ILB ALABAMA A&M - C

Another reach for a guy we really liked. I'd love to think he is a diamond in the rough and will solve our MLB issues. Who knows if this is the reason we didn't address ILB early. Probably not but I like to think so

7 45(255) Ramzee Robinson CB ALABAMA - B

Solid tackler who could also return kicks. Good pick here.

Final grade - B

It seemed like Millen was trying to please two head coaches in this draft. But you have to think if Millen should have let Marinelli control the first couple hours of the draft. Our defense was horrid last year and we waited to address it. Millen had the ammo this draft and he used it. He traded up for the guys that Marinelli and crew were locked in on. This is the part that we just have to trust the scouting. Overall I'm ok with our draft. Not happy, not mad, just ok.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:56 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Final Grade - F+
Old 04-29-2007, 08:17 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1st Round-
Calvin Johnson- Loved the pick and I think he'll be a top 5 receiver within 2 years and will make an immediate impact on our offense. A

2nd round-
Drew Stanton- While I liked Trent Edwards better than him, I think he has a lot of potential and Mike Martz will only help him develop into a possible solid starter. B+

Ikaika Alma-Francis- I wanted this guy to be a Lion for the longest time, and while we really didn't need to trade up to get him, I'm glad we did and I'm excited about his versatility and how Marinelli will coach him. B

Gerald Alexander- Another guy we didn't really need to trade up for (although it was rumored that Baltimore was considering him) and was a reach, I have no problem with picking him because he's another versatile player who fits the system well and is a team leader of sorts. I also loved what I saw from the guy in the Fiesta Bowl, so I didn't mind the pick too much. B-

4th round:
AJ Davis- I question how he fits our system but he is extremely fast, plus he has terrific intangibles. He's another great teammate and if all works out, he could be our nickel or dime CB this season. B

Manny Ramirez- A nice mauler guard who will do wonders learning from Mutalito and will be excellent depth this season and a potential starter for next year. A-

5th round:
Johnny Baldwin- Can't say I knew much about him but he's another hard working type who had an excellent workout and could have just been picked on his potential. C+

Mr Irrelevant:
Ramzee Robinson- This pick never really matters too much but he's a nice tackler who fits our system well and could make the roster as a special teams player this season. B

Overall: We got guys who are all hard working and team leader types and are Marinelli/Martz type players, instead of going for the name picks like we have in previous year (with the exception of Calvin Johnson, but he fits the hard working mold anyway). I'm satisfied with this draft and in a few years I think it could be the best draft Millen has had (not really saying much but still).
I'd give it a B+

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:25 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If we sign Wilson or Quarles, which we will, this offseason deserves an A-/A.

Bottom line: they moved around and took the players they wanted in the draft. Hard working, good character players that love the game and are leaders. I like that. I'd take that over settling for the best player available at every pick.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:48 PM    (permalink
Bootland27
Rookie

Bootland27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bootland27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Calvin Johnson - B+
The last thing they needed was a receiver, but I won't kill them for going with the BPA at this point.

Drew Stanton - D
He's pretty overrated, inconsistent and we had to go defense here especially after taking CJ. Passed on Posluzny, Harris, Abiamiri, etc who could've made an impact on defense immediately.

Ikaika Alma-Francis - C-
He is very raw, and won't help you this year. Took a tweener instead of a natural DE like Charles Johnson or Bazuin little later.

Gerald Alexander - F
There was a need for corner and the scenario was perfect. Both Mccauley and Hughes were still on the board, yet they take a SS.

AJ Davis - B-
This could a diamond in the rough. MLIVE says he hasn't given up a TD in 1675 straight snaps and ESPN the mag compared him to Asante Samuel. If he can turn out to be even half the player samuel is, he will be a solid pick.

Manuel Ramirez - B+
Nice value pick here. Has the potential to be a decent starter in the mold of Mulitalo. Maybe he is the future LG Mulitalo.

Johnny Baldwin - D+
Research on him suggests that he was a reach and will be a backup at best.

Ramzee Robinson - Unknown
Don't know much about this guy. Could be practice squad player, a backup or even not good enough play at all.

Overall C-: Passed on some players in day 1 who would've filled needs and made more immediate impacts on defense. The defense still needs a lot improvement, which I think will be addressed next offseason.

Last edited by Bootland27 : 04-29-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Bootland27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:56 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll just do grades:

Calvin Johnson: A+
Drew Stanton: D
Ikaika Alama-Francis: B
Gerald Alexander: C
AJ Davis: C
Manuel Ramirez: A
Johnny Baldwin: C
Ramzee Robinson: C
Old 04-30-2007, 08:05 AM    (permalink
casskid
Rookie

casskid hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Its seems like everyone outside of CJ was taken on high motor/high character instead of just talent. This could translate into a turn around for the team down the line, but as for immediate impact i dont see anyone other then CJ and maybe oddly enough Davis/Robinson as a return men making a impact this year. IF Francis and Stanton are coached up by their respective gurus then this could be a great draft. IF not then we kinda screwed the pooch big time. That being said the only pick that I really, really hate is Alexander. Hes too slow to play safety, and we signed/drafted some burners at CB so I dont know what to think about him. So with that being said:

CJ: A (who knows what could happen with this offense next year)
Stanton: C (would have rather gone D but we'll see what Martz can do)
Alma-Francis: C (same as Stanton, could have had Johnson or Moses as this point in the draft, taken more on possible future ability)
Gerald Alexander: F (why trade up and take this turd when his future seems to be special teams, probably could have still taken him later)
AJ Davis: C (Is fast thats about it. Doesnt he seem to fit a traditional C2 corner/seems a little like Bly)
Manuel Ramirez: B++ (great mauler that should help the point of attack, which has been a weakness here for years, but probably wont help for another year or so)
Johnny Baldwin: C-(meeeeh. Dont know anything about him, seems to have good work out numbers)
Ramzee Robinson: Sure, why not. Also looks like 80's Eddie Murphy which certainly cant hurt your stock.
casskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:29 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not at all happy with the draft. You don't build a team starting from the WR position. The Lions needed to go defense if they didn't want a QB. The
34th pick is in essence a 1st round talent as there are usually around 35 guys carrying 1st round grades in every draft. By trading down for the 5th QB in the draft, we bypassed a real talent at 34 for a guy who might have been there in round 3. We had a legit chance to come out of this draft with 2 solid cornerstones on defense and ended up with none.
As for Johnson, I think he is the real deal but look what happened to Andre Johnson in Houston. Without a solid QB to get you the ball, all the great WR's in the world aren't going to make you effective. That's why WR isn't considered a primary building block in pro football, they have to still rely on a QB to get them the ball otherwise they really aren't much.
I think Millen really blew this draft up and the other 2 defensive players look like someone throwing Marinelli a rotten carrot for his defense. The only person on the Lions who is truly happy is Martz who can now use his offense to showcase himself for another HCing position. I really feel sorry for Marinelli, Millen hung him out to dry just like he did Mooch. Anybody who thinks this draft was in anyway successful just doesn't understand pro football. Compared to what we could have accomplished and moving towards being a serious playoff team, I give us an 'F-'.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:21 AM    (permalink
Mythos
Rookie

Mythos hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Based on the picks made,
D. Based on the opportunity cost, F------

We got the best player in the draft at a position we don't need. Then Millen takes us out of a great position at 34, reaches for a high risk QB prospect, panics and blows the rest of day 1 on guys that aren't gonna be ready for '08.

I felt we should have taken denver's offer before the draft unfolded. After watching what happened it's ~ 3rd or 4th most costly move ever. We could've had the deal from Cleveland that Dallas took. If we had done those deals, we could have completely revamped this defense in 1 year. We'd have three rd. 1 picks next year. We could go RE, QB, RT in any order or make a move for an elite pass rusher or QB.
With what we'd have left,
#34 woodley. Far, far, better LE prospect. More sacks last year against better compettion than Francis' career in the WAC. Very stout against the run.
#36 MLB. Harris or Durant. Much better than oh yeah, we didn't take one.
#53 Josh Wilson. Better nickel corner than AJ.
#66 G. Alexander
#85 D. Hughes. I think he'll end up being better in the cover-2 than any of the corners on our roster.

And remember 3 first round '08 picks.
Mythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:29 AM    (permalink
LionSmack
Veteran

LionSmack hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think the reason all you guys are pissed is because they drafted people you haven't heard of.

You had all your geeky draft lists all drawn up with this guy and that guy, and the Lions went and drafted guys who you hadn't listed high, as if that matters at all.

Someone said, "Its seems like everyone outside of CJ was taken on high motor/high character instead of just talent." Substitute "name recognition" for "talent" and you're right.

Will they turn out to be great? I don't know. But you know what? If they'd drafted Harris and McCauley and Abiamiri and all the guys you had in your list, we still wouldn't know.

I grade this draft Incomplete until we find out exactly what they have in these defensive players. The one thing they all seem to have in common is high character and work ethic. That in itself has got to be considered an improvement. If they can't play, then it means nothing, admitted.
LionSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:44 AM    (permalink
Mythos
Rookie

Mythos hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionSmack View Post
I think the reason all you guys are pissed is because they drafted people you haven't heard of.
Or maybe because the strategy of one flashy receiver over filling needs and accumulating depth has been tried and failed.

Einstein's definition of insantiy.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Mythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:49 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I posted this in the other thread, but here is goes again:

Quote:
So what are your guys' thoughts on the draft now that it is complete? I'm kind of in the middle on our draft. I didn't think we did as good as we could've, but I don't believe that is was a complete disaster.

Calvin Johnson - Like a lot of other Lions fans, I didn't want Gaines Adams. I'm not thrilled with the pick of Johnson, but I don't hate it either. Our receiving corps will be locked up for the next few years at least and hopefully it will finally become a top five trio in the league, something it was supposed to be two years ago. At worst I see Calvin being an average starter who will take a lot of pressure off of Roy Williams and free him up to go one-on-on more often.

Drew Stanton - I don't hate this pick as much as I thought I would. Despite being a Michigan fan, I've followed Stanton and Michigan State heavily for the last few years. Stanton has very questionable decsion making and there is some durability concerns there. However, he still possesses great tools and with the right coaching could develop into a starting caliber QB in the NFL. I'm weary of the pick right now, but it could turn out better than I expected.

Ikaika Alma-Francis - I'm not too sure I like this pick, but I want to give Marinelli the benefit of the doubt here. Alma-Francis played DE in college, but a lot of people think that with his size, he could play DT. He has all of the tools of a 1st Round pick, he is just very raw and needs some good coaching. He isn't the best pass rusher out there, but I could see him lose 5-10 lbs and stay at DE. I don't really like the pick, but I think Marinelli saw something in this kid that I am not seeing right now.

Gerald Alexander - When I first saw this I couldn't believe it. I mean, I thought this guys was a late day two pick-up at best. But I became much more comfortable with it and am actually starting to really like it the more I read up on him. Alexander is a guy who saw his stock soar in the few weeks leading up to the draft. He played CB his first three seasons at Boise State until he eventually moved to safety last year. He's good in coverage and can hit hard. He needs to become a better tackler, because he seems like he always tries to hit people. However, he is good against both the run and the pass. He may have not been my ideal safety going into the draft, but he's the type of safety I thought the Lions need.

A.J. Davis - Davis is a guy who has a lot of potential, but hasn't yet lived up to it. If he's the guy I'm thinking of, he was rated highly coming out of High School, he just never put it fully together. He's probably only a nickle or dime back, but he could get better with the right coaching.

Manuel Ramirez - He's probably the best run blocking guard in the draft. However, his lack of pass protection skills made him drop to the 4th Round. I really like the selection a lot. Ramirez is ridiculously strong and has the ability to overpower defenders on running plays. I don't know how much playing time he will get, but he could make an instant impact in the running game.

Ramzee Robinson - Probably a special teams player if he ends up making the team. He was very good on kick coverage at Alabama and has the ability to return kicks and punts. All 7th Round selections are long shots to make the team, but I think he could just as a special teamer / kick return guy.

Overall, I give the Lions a B-. I liked most of the selections, I just didn't feel that they addresses some of their more important needs. I would've liked to see ILB addressed higher than the 5th Round and would've prefered a pass rushing DE over Alma Francis. I think the Lions did a fairly good job in the draft, but it could've been better.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:03 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys are really hard on your own draft. Even I'm shocked. I don't like wasting all the picks to trade up but the picks made were good. It's at least a B- in my eyes. Maybe you were expecting too much from one draft...

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:23 AM    (permalink
tbraton
Rookie

tbraton smells like sex panther.

Millen did a poor job........CJ is a great player, but WR is not a pressing need......Millen was too block-headed to trade down and get more picks......he should have gotten GA and extra picks......you don't have to follow the draft trading chart religiously, especially since the NFL has changed since the chart was developed.......a monkey could have picked and kept CJ.....
tbraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:33 AM    (permalink
Aard
Rookie

Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.

I was away on vacation all weekend and missed the entire draft except for short recaps each evening. The Lions traded down and then up a few times; did they end up with any extra picks in 2008 after it was all over? Or did they trade away any of their '08 picks?

The draft did not turn out much like I had expected. I expected Millen to trade out of the #2 spot, though I'm not disappointed we drafted CJ over Gaines Adams. The Lions fell in love with Drew Stanton to the exclusion of the other second-tier QBs who were still available.

I believe we squandered a few of those extra Day 2 picks to trade up into the late second round and draft guys who may still have been there in the early third round. Still, the Lions got the guys they wanted or they would not have traded up. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until those picks don't pan out.

Loved the Ramirez selection.

Overall grade: B- (with the selection of CJ keeping the grade above a C average).
Aard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:34 AM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel the draft was about average C+/B-. It could have went a little better, but i also like to think that the coaches saw something in Alexander that made him worth taking at that spot. Also I hope Davis can turn into a decent corner, but i don't know. The Stanton pick isn't aweful considering Martz will coach him, and it came with a trade down.

I really hope next year we use our first on a DB though. I really dislike the fact that year after year we address the DB's in the 3rd+ rounds. In todays NFL with all the rule changes favoring WR I think it is crucial to have at least one maybe to elite DBs on defense. I really hope next year could be the year that we address something that it seems we have never really filled as long as I've been a Lions fan.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:44 AM    (permalink
LionSmack
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
Or maybe because the strategy of one flashy receiver over filling needs and accumulating depth has been tried and failed.

Einstein's definition of insantiy.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
That's funny because CJ is the one part of the draft that almost no one is bashing.

Everyone's pissed because we didn't get all the defensive guys that everyone had higher on the list. Instead the Lions went for the D guys that they had higher up, and they had them higher up because of versatility, character and leadership.

Again, if they turn out to be lesser talents, then the Lions will be proven wrong yet again. Get back to me when we see what these guys really are.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:49 AM    (permalink
LionSmack
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
You guys are really hard on your own draft. Even I'm shocked. I don't like wasting all the picks to trade up but the picks made were good. It's at least a B- in my eyes. Maybe you were expecting too much from one draft...
Yes, that too is true. Don't you know that the draft is the Lions' Super Bowl? Every year we go in dreaming that Millen will pull off some incredible series of moves that will solve all the team's weaknesses at once.

You know what? The Lions DID address all their needs in this draft, just not with the guys that the mock-draftniks wanted. We needed WR, QB, G, DE, S, CB, MLB and we got all those things. Did we get big-name stars at all those positions? No. We got all hard-working, character guys instead. Will they turn out to be the players that make the Lions a winner? I guess we'll see when they actually play some games.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:54 AM    (permalink
Newbs24
Rookie

Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.

This should be the last straw in regards to this ****** running our team but it won't. The joke of a Ford Family is obviously in love with this douche and he is ruining our team. He effed us again in picking Stanton before MLB's and a no-name DE and a S that should have went undrafted. I bet Mr Irrelevant will be our 2nd or 3rd best player from this draft. Who will we pick in the Top 5 next year?

I give this draft a D on the strength of CJ21 himself.
Newbs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:08 PM    (permalink
ESimsfan87
Rookie

ESimsfan87 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Interesting draft we had. When we were picking in the second round, I like many of you were pissed out of my mind. I had thought we would go with David Harris and McCauley or some sort of combination like that but we really went uncoventional with some of these picks.

1. Calvin Johnson- The same weekend the Raiders trade Randy Moss, the pass over the next best talent at Wideout to come into the league. I want a Calvin Johnson jersey to go along with my roy jersey but that will come in time. CJesus will make people forget about Chuck and Mike, while making the duo in Arizona look completely minor league. Furrey is about to have best opportunity he will ever get to make catch after catch as defenses will struggle against the pass. - A+

2A. Drew Stanton- as a State fan, I really am enamored with Stanton's unquestionable skills. However many are just calling the pick questionable and with good reason. One thing needs to be pointed out though. Stanton's statistics and everything else he did are completely flawed because of the horrible talent he had around him. Every play he tried way too hard to make things happen and it doesnt help when your defense makes it near impossible to ever maintain a lead. Stanton has heart and passion and that will show whenever he gets to the field. I'm still not exactly sure that he's the one for this offense, but I'm gonna have to trust Mike Martz. B -

2B. Ikaika Alama Francis- Another trade up. Could have sworn we were gonna take McCauley here. Francis is an athlete first and foremost and those who are hating this pick simply because they don't know him jsut havent done the research. He could have played another season at Hawaii and been a first round pick next year. People are complaining about just how raw he will be in this in season, I honestly think he could start the last game of the season and will eventually replace Kalimba as our starter. - A-

2C. Gerald Alexander- I was pretty pissed about this one. I like what he will be able to bring to the team but this could have waited. I forgot who Alexander was when we drafted him until I saw online he was "that safety from Boise St.". I liked what I saw from him in the Fiesta Bowl but come on wait til the third. McCauley went through our grasps and ended up in Minny where I know he will make an impact. Like the player, not the selection at the time. - D

4A. A.J. Davis- I was really preplexed by Day 2 I must admit. I liked Ben Patrick way more than every G.M. apparently and really thought we would get him with this pick. But once again, Millen defies convention and passes him with all our picks. Davis is intriguing though and so much as he makes the rotation early I will be pleased as Keith Smith and Stanley Wilson seemed to never make the rotat. Better talent on the board still but went with character. - C

4B. Manny Ramirez. First off love the name. Secondly, he was one of the guards I was hoping would fall to us and he did. No wait we traded up to get him so that doesnt really qualify. Either way Ramirez is intriguing and was definitely the best Day 2 pick. He is a sure fire future starter and I am really looking forward to seeing him play in preseason. - A

5. Johnny Baldwin- Alec's brother not named Stephen or William is the most interesting pick of our draft. I had figured all through out the draft we need an imposing MLB and on Day 2 kept thinking we would get Brandon Siler. That didnt happen. What did happen was the selection of an athlethic, productive, small school prospect, who's main concern will be adjusting to stiffer competition. (That's what she said..ha) I think he is similiar to Earl Holmes coming out of college in terms of play style and level of comp. Could be a sleeper or a player to struggle. Look for his play in preseason to be indication. - B

7. Ramzee Robinson- Possible return guy, Mr. Irrevelant, and raps. That's a hell of a cominbination. Wasn't expecting much with this pick anyways. Let's see if he can make the team. - B

Assessment of Draft overall: B-
ESimsfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:12 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Selecting talent is only 1/3 of the battle.
You still need to develop them into a legit weapon that can be used
on your team and THEN get them into a mentality where they want to
help you improve their team..not just fatten up their bank account and "take it easy".

So far the Lions don't have a great track record of developing 1st round WR talent.

As far as the collection of prospects you guys took...I like them.
I think they could be very productive.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:16 PM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

asmitty45 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

CJ -A+
Stanton - B+
Ike - A-
Alexander - C-
AJ - C
ManRam - A
Baldwin - D
Ramzee - A

I give it a solid B+

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21
asmitty45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:47 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Calvin: A-: One of the best WR prosects to come out in years. BPA on everyones board, but it was another WR so doesn't get the full A+. Millen didn't waiver given his past history. He should help very much in the red zone where we struggled last year and take away the double teams of Roy. With CJ/Roy/Furrey and Martz we have a very potent offense.

Stanton: D: Until Stanton proves me wrong, I just don't like this pick. Granted he didn't have many weapons at Michigan State and we do have Martz, but for how long do we have Martz. Stanton needs to work on his decision making but I like him better than the other option of Trent Edwards. I think we could have gotten him in Round 3 though.

Alama Francis: B: Marininelli should know what he is doing in the D-end department so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I think he will be a very good situational player and eventually get Kalimba off the field. Ikaika has limited experience in football but gets better by the minute. Also he is coming off an injury of a torn pectoral he hurt in an All Star game this offseason. I actually would like to see 1st/2nd down White,Rogers,Cody,Redding and 3rd down White/Kalimba,Rogers,Redding,Alama/Kalimba for his rookie year until Francis really develops.

Gerald Alexander: ? Don't know much about him. Draft experts says it was a reach but you can't go by then. I'll wait for his production on the field.

AJ Davis: C Could have gotten much better corners like Hughes/McCauley but I guess we feel confident in Stanley Wilson.

Ramirez: A: great pick, mauler for the running game but has much experience pass blocking at Texas Tech

Baldwin: B don't know much about him, but is a MLB and should be help out on special teams. Lions must know something about the health of Quarles and Teddy Lehman for not taking a MLB earlier.

Ramzee: Irrelevant

Overall Draft: B based on needs and where we got guys
Overall Draft Performance: To Be Determined (you never know, Stanton/Alama Francis and Alexander could turn out to be great picks, only time will tell)
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:59 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I grade this draft as a C-, if we didn't walk away from this draft with CJ then it would have been a D-/F. I know that CJ21 doesn't fill a need, but he was the best player in the draft and we took him because of that. Hopefully he'll be our version of Reggie Bush, top player that wasn't a top need that provides explosive potential.

What really upsets me about this draft isn't necessarilly the reaching for the picks, but the combination of that and, more so, trading up to draft the players. When a team trades up to draft a specific player they believe that that player won't be available later because the following teams would've taken him.

With the Stanton trade they did really well by adding a third rd pick to drop 10 picks, but by doing that we missed out on a great G in Blalock, a top S in Weddle, and LB Poz. With two QB's picked in the 2nd ahead of Stanton I would have bet either Stanton or Edwards would've been avaiable in the top of the 3rd and supposedly the two carried very close grades. So we could've gotten similar value by adding Harris or McCauley at #43 and then gotten our future QB at the top of #3. What we did in this trade and pick: Grade B/B+

With the Alma-Francis trade I would've stayed at #66 and taken him there. I know that there isn't a guarantee that he would've been available, but if he wasn't then we could've gotten Charles Johnson who had better production against tougher competition, worst case scenario we would've gotten McCauley. This Trade/pick: Grade C+/B- closer to C+

With the Alexander trade, we traded up into the 2nd for a DAY 2 prospect enough said. The idea that he wouldn've have been available at #74 is really hard to grasp, but for arguments sake if he was gone then we still would've been able to choose between Charles Johnson, Jonathan Wade, Aaron Rouse, and Daymeion Hughes among others. We gave up what could've been Rouse and Zac Deossie at worst but probably still could've gotten Alexander at #74. This trade/pick: Grade D/D+

With the McCown/BMW trade IMO we got good value and is better that just releasing them for nothing. Worked out for probably the best we could've gotten, and yes I called BMW to the Raiders 2-3 weeks ago. This trade netted us AJ Davis, but I think Tanard Jackson would've been a better selection and the Bucs will prove us wrong. This trade/pick: Grade B/B+ (would've been slightly higher if we took Jackson)

With the Ramirez trade, I think they did a good job of targeting a good prospect who is from a system with a lot of pass blocking so he should know how to. This trade/pick: Grade B/B+

With the Johhny Baldwin selection, I have o admit that I don't know too much about him other than he has some potential and Kiper thinks he should fit into the cover 2 pretty well. IMO H.B. Blades would've been a better selection becuase he presented better value, he's a proven guy, and played ILB in college unlike Baldwin who was OLB. Baldwin did however have an impressive workout where he threw up 28 reps on the bench and ran pretty well. Grade B-/B

Mr. Irrelevent, who really cares?
Old 04-30-2007, 01:01 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IMO all you guys giving bad grades are because you dont know much about any ofthese guys except CJ Stanton and Ramirez and so you immediatly think the guys you dont know suck. I doubt any of us have seen most of these guys play but the fact is Rod and Martz and Barry did. How bout we all give them the benefit of the doubt and see what these guys can do before we go crazy