Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:22 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

DeOssie was not brought in to start, don't get too excited there. Could he start someday? Possibly, but he has to work on some things before that happens. I think Mitchell would play SAM before DeOssie would should Kiwi go down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:24 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky bobby View Post
Get over it already.

First of all, Casey Hampton is arguabely the best NT in the entire league and nobody will depart with him for a 3rd round pick. Second of all, we don't have the defensive ends that can play in a 3-4. Third and most importantly, we don't have a defensive coordinator that runs a 3-4.
I honestly don't think its as farfetched as some Giant fans think it is. Theres no guarantee that this coaching staff stays for another year, which is why I said a 3-4 for NEXT year (meaning 08/09 season). And there will be lots of available 3-4 coaches available if TC gets fired. The conversion is not as crazy as one would think.

And we do have the Ends for it. At least one end. Coffield played 3-4 End in college. Strahan if need be can man 3-4 End, he's stronger than most DTs anyway. And 3-4 DEs can be had in later rounds. The only real investment would be NT, which of course, is the main piece to the puzzle. Of course I would not favor a switch until that piece is found. Im simply throwing it out there as a future possibility. Look at the makeup of this team. Its not unrealistic to foreshadow a possible future switch.

In terms of the immediate future, worst case scenario is have DeOssie develop behind Kiwi as a rookie which is not a big deal at all. Ive said forever that our LB situation was blown out of proportion. We have good LBs, and with DeOssie, we have potentially a very good LB core. Whether its a 4-3 or 3-4 front for the long term future, we definately have the pieces in place in the front 7 to do damage. Its the back 4 that needs to be shored up, and we're on the right path to fixing that as well.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky bobby View Post
Get over it already.

First of all, Casey Hampton is arguabely the best NT in the entire league and nobody will depart with him for a 3rd round pick. Second of all, we don't have the defensive ends that can play in a 3-4. Third and most importantly, we don't have a defensive coordinator that runs a 3-4.
I don't think it's that unrealistic. The Steelers won't be running the 3-4 past this coming season (allegedly), and while Hampton would a be a perfectly fine 4-3 NT, he wouldn't hold the same value to Pittsburgh that he did before.

As for the rest, I'm not sure I know the Giants well enough to say how they'd handle a 3-4 switch, but it at least appears like they have the linebackers to pull it off.
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:57 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

oops sorry just needed a quote from BBD
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:44 PM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Ive been pushing for a switch to a 3-4 defense for us after Strahan retires with Kiwi and Osi as rushbackers and Chase Blackburn and AP as ILBs.
Please. You would be pushing for the 3-4 even if the Giants had the Colts personel on D.

The Tampa 2 will be coming to NY in 2008 once Coughlin is fired. Accept it.
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:53 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea, I don't see the 3-4 happening, our LBs are not good enough to dominate the field and we don't have the kind of linemen for 3-4, the system we have right now suits us the best.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:57 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's a great move. He has the speed to stay with RBs and TEs in coverage and the strength to jam them at the line. Plus with his height there will be a lot of deflected passes
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:24 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Well when they picked him I was having a hard time figuring out what theyre gonna do with him with Strahan, Umenyiora and Tuck at DE. So I guess this makes sense as long as Kiwi can make the transition.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:09 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

well i think this will be a great move for the giants... they have no playmakers in their linebacking core.. and he is an athletic player.. he dropped back into coverage a fair amount last season and looked great at it, if one of the defensive ends goes down i could see him being slid down to take the place until the injury is healed, besides he is a smart guy i dont think it will be any problem for him to learn

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:21 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good planning?

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:25 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsDemon12 View Post
well i think this will be a great move for the giants... they have no playmakers in their linebacking core.. and he is an athletic player.. he dropped back into coverage a fair amount last season and looked great at it, if one of the defensive ends goes down i could see him being slid down to take the place until the injury is healed, besides he is a smart guy i dont think it will be any problem for him to learn

Antonio Pierce is not a play maker?
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:29 PM    (permalink
Veteran

255979119 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Kawika Mitchell is also a solid starter, so I do not know why he would drastically underrate the G-men's LB core like he did.
255979119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:30 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsDemon12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
Antonio Pierce is not a play maker?
sorry... 1 playmaker out of 3, or are they changing to a 3-4? cause then they would have 1 playmaker out of 4 spots... winning combo

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:51 PM    (permalink
steelernation77
Veteran

steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
I don't think it's that unrealistic. The Steelers won't be running the 3-4 past this coming season (allegedly), and while Hampton would a be a perfectly fine 4-3 NT, he wouldn't hold the same value to Pittsburgh that he did before.

As for the rest, I'm not sure I know the Giants well enough to say how they'd handle a 3-4 switch, but it at least appears like they have the linebackers to pull it off.
there's been no talk whatsoever of the steelers switching to a 4-3 anytime soon and LeBeau has said in numerous interviews that he is writing up tons of new plays for THIS defense and doesn't plan on retiring after the season. I think that he's going to help install a new hybrid D that is still a 3-4 base in the next couple seasons and then when he retires, Keith Butler the LB coach who has been with the team for awhile will take the job and continue the defense. Anyway, if by some twist we did switch to a 4-3, Casey wouild be fine if not dominating because he is athletic and will still require double teams because he will bull rush any single blocker right in to the backfield.
steelernation77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:27 AM    (permalink
Phrost

He was once considered by most Bucs fans the heir apparent pass rusher in Tampa. Now look where he is. I wish him luck though.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:39 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
He was once considered by most Bucs fans the heir apparent pass rusher in Tampa. Now look where he is. I wish him luck though.

Who are you talking about?
Old 06-14-2007, 02:44 PM    (permalink
simms2clayton

Yeah, Tom Coughlin, enjoy your last season as head coach in the NFL.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:50 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Coughlin will likely be gone as HC, but it won't be because of Kiwanuka. His game management and player-relations skills will be his downfall.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
DE Michael Strahan on Coughlin: "I think Coach just has an easier demeanor about him. When you look at him, you don't get tense. Before he just was a very intense fellow and now his demeanor seems to be a lot easier. You understand what he wants and you're going to hustle and fly around, but you look at him and you feel like you can go talk to him. Guys enjoy playing for him. I couldn't always say that, but now guys enjoy playing for him."
Hopefully that continues all year round.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:59 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

not a big fan of Coughlin, but he has made the playoffs 2 years in a row. granted he lost both times in the 1st round, but the 1st year was sheer garbage play by everyone on the team and last year was because our D couldnt stop anyone late in the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:08 PM    (permalink
THIZZorDIE
Veteran

THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Kiwi showed very good coverage ability last year for someone who was pretty much never asked to cover up until that point. 2 INTS like Number 10 said earlier. In one season with limited snaps standing up, he showed more coverage ability than Reggie Torbor has in 3 seasons.
You could say he looked good in coverage, especially w/ two picks. But I know one was just a simple zone blitz coverage drop where he was responsible for the flats, and got a gift from the QB. Popping off the line of scrimmage and coverage in the flats is diff. than a basic coverage drop for a OLB. But as mentioned earlier, they wont just throw him out there, they'll use him for pressure specifically. It could work, but the NY Giants are garbage and this could be a last resort move.

Will the staff have him drop weight? Can I assume he will remain a 3rd string DE?
THIZZorDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by THIZZorDIE View Post
You could say he looked good in coverage, especially w/ two picks. But I know one was just a simple zone blitz coverage drop where he was responsible for the flats, and got a gift from the QB. Popping off the line of scrimmage and coverage in the flats is diff. than a basic coverage drop for a OLB. But as mentioned earlier, they wont just throw him out there, they'll use him for pressure specifically. It could work, but the NY Giants are garbage and this could be a last resort move.

Will the staff have him drop weight? Can I assume he will remain a 3rd string DE?

They decided before the draft this was the best move for him, if they weren't confident then they would have drafted someone higher. Yes the Giants are garbage
Old 06-14-2007, 03:14 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
In his new role, think Julian Peterson. He'll be a rover/rushbacker type of SAM/WILL (mostly SAM) on 1st and 2nd down, and if need be, will put his hand on the dirt and rush as a DE on 3rd.
There's a small problem with that comparison: Julian Peterson has the athleticism of a defensive back and is one of the best linebackers in cverage, man (TE) or zone. Kiwi is far too lanky to ever come close to Peterson in coverage ability. I'll believe it when I see it, but I can't imagine a 6'8 DE having the fluidity to play as a LB in a 4-3.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:19 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes, and you wouldn't think that a 6'4", 260 lb RB could run a 4.48 40 yard dash and be an inside/outside threat, but Brandon Jacobs can do that.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:22 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
There's a small problem with that comparison: Julian Peterson has the athleticism of a defensive back and is one of the best linebackers in cverage, man (TE) or zone. Kiwi is far too lanky to ever come close to Peterson in coverage ability. I'll believe it when I see it, but I can't imagine a 6'8 DE having the fluidity to play as a LB in a 4-3.
6'8" was his Boston College height. He shrunk 3 inches once he got drafted.
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote