Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Diego Chargers Team Forum

San Diego Chargers Team Forum Discuss the Bolts

Old 04-30-2007, 12:40 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default UDFA discussion

anyone think we need more depth on the both sides of the line?

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:58 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Definitely we did basically nothing to address the lines in the draft. I don't know neccesarily who to go after, but especially on the offensive side of the ball we need to address it. Perhaps AJ was waiting for the UDFA period to begin to address those needs though. That is how we got Dielman after all, and AJ has shown he has an eye for undrafted talent...

Who would you guys want to bring in, and what about other positions, like RB (for after Turner is gone)?
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:56 PM    (permalink
sdpads24
Veteran

sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlin...ers-add-23.htm

this is the list of UDFA

Thanks to Bantx for the cool sig.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21
sdpads24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:00 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Chargers chose not to draft any offensive linemen over the weekend but added three guards and a center as free agents.

The free agent signees at wide receiver include Chad Schroeder from Texas A&M, Washington’s Sonny Shackelford and Jarrett Hicks of Texas Tech. The Chargers also added three running backs in Eldra Buckley from Tennessee-Chattanooga, Reggie Merriweather of Clemson and Germaine Race from Pittsburg St. in Kansas.

Defensive ends Andre Coleman from Albany, Barry Cryer of Nebraska and Eastern Washington’s Keith Grennan will join nose tackle Louis Leonard from Fresno State.

nice we picked up alot of D and O line, and 3 runningsbacks, we will see what they can do.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:12 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantx View Post
nice we picked up alot of D and O line, and 3 runningsbacks, we will see what they can do.
Yeah looks like we got the wrong Merriweather tho... haha

Any of you guys know a lot of info about them? I know my fair share about the draft but to me right now all these guys are is names. I'm sure a couple will make the roster, particularly the O-Line but I'd be curious to see how many if any of the RB's make it, to get an eventual replacement for Turner.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:16 PM    (permalink
UncleHulka
Rookie

UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
Yeah looks like we got the wrong Merriweather tho... haha

Any of you guys know a lot of info about them? I know my fair share about the draft but to me right now all these guys are is names. I'm sure a couple will make the roster, particularly the O-Line but I'd be curious to see how many if any of the RB's make it, to get an eventual replacement for Turner.
I copied this directly from another board and don't know where/how he got the analysis.

Jyles Tucker, DE, Wake Forest - Suspended 3 games in college for breaking team rules. Solid athlete with decent upside, Tucker projects to a situational outside linebacker. Flashes on a game to game basis and lacks consistency in every regard. Great change of direction skills. Undisciplined.

Reggie Merriweather, RB, Clemson - Former starter. Short yet strong running back who can be a load on the inside. Runs with good lean, quickness and has a burst through the hole and loves to pick up yardage off initial contact. Not a threat catching the ball and a hesitant decision maker. Change of back potential.

Andre Coleman, DE, Albany (SUNY) - True sleeper. Not very big for his position but is surprisingly strong. Has a major "nasty streak." Wants to kick butt on every play and will do just that if opponents don't set the tone early. Struggles against huge linemen but doesn't give up. Star potential at either DE or NT.

Antwan Applewhite, DE, San Diego State - One dimensional pass rusher who has good speed and wont give up on the play. Small for a DE but projects very well to a 3-4 outside linebacker. Very good at changing direction and has good backpedaling skills. Potential starter given time to develop other skills. Long term linebacker project.

Nick Roach, LB, Northwestern - Explosive football player who can cover sideline to sideline. Very intelligent and has good diagnosis skills. Adept at dropping back into coverage but isn't a big hitter and will get dragged back often. (Remind you of someone?) Injury prone.

Barry Cryer, DT, Nebraska - Anchored a dominant run defense for the Cornhuskers. Excels in run blocking and taking up space. Too light to be a nose tackle and will compete for a roster spot as backup defensive end. Overshadowed by Ola Dagunduro his senior year. Can be converted to offensive line.

Anthony Arline, CB, Baylor - Big cornerback/safety tweener with very fast speed and compares to a lesser athletic Antonio Cromartie. Very inconsistent in his play and doesn't really have a strong point in coverage but is decent at both man and zone coverage. Very very raw.

Eldra Buckley, RB, Tennessee Chattanooga - Very fast prospect. Short but not small player who performed very well despite having little talent around him. Can read gaps but lacks middle acceleration despite good max speed and great inital acceleration. Probably not drafted due to a major injury in his final game at the college level. Good upside.

Sergio Gilliam, CB, Clemson - Terrific athlete who has very little experience due to being buried on the depth chart his whole collegiate career. Can play safety and corner. Underachiever.

Jeremy Sheffey, OG, West Virginia - Undersized guard who is good at pulling and trapping. Has the "nasty streak" A.J. likes. Stiff back and plays way too high. Needs to bulk up big time as he couldn't cope with the bull rush even at the collegiate level. Backup potential.

Louis Leonard, DT, Fresno State - Nose tackle project who has the athletic tools but lacked the production in college. Adequate pass rushing abilities with exceptional run stopping ability. He wasn't in shape for most of the season and I question his work ethic. Major upside.

Erik Robertson, OL, California - Underrated guard who is physically strong and immensely intelligent but lacks the feet and flexibility to play guard in the NFL. Nick Hardwick-esque body with experience. Long term center project.

Miguel Merrick, S, Iowa - Good closing speed and a physical defender that can change direction. Solid player who won't wow you. High level of awareness and is quick to pick up the open man. Struggles with his back to the ball. Very good special teams player and projects well with his great recognition when playing zone. Very aggressive player. Undeveloped player.

Mike Jones, OG, Iowa - Widely regarded as a fourth round talent, Jones is a scrappy blue collar worker who has started since his freshman year at Iowa. Great at trapping and absolutely loves blocking at the second level. Adequate pass blocking for the NFL level. Isn't an eye popping athlete but will get the job done. Needs to add bulk and work on feet movement. Capable of securing a roster spot immediately. Guard depth.

Jarret Hicks, WR, Texas Tech - Great speed and direction change ability with good tackle breaking ability after the catch. A little raw, but he produced in college. Academic problems and inflated stats are questions as are his inconsistency and lack of awareness. Will compete with Naanee as the Chargers next projects at wide receiver. Long term wide receiver project.

Mark Bihl, C, Michigan - Another hard working prospect with questionable athleticism. Very smart and intense he can be a career backup. Possible center depth.

Germaine Race, RB, Pittsburg State - North/South runner with great instincts and good vision. Not overly athletic and lacks the agility to be more than a short yardage back. Can be moved to fullback.
UncleHulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:25 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Don't wanna clog up the page and quote the analysis, but thats some helpful stuff.

Jones (G) looks like he'll be a lock for a roster spot if that evaluation is true. Roach sounds like a Donnie Edwards clone also from that analysis.

Curious to see which guys make it.

Also out of curiosity, where'd u get the info from?
Old 04-30-2007, 08:36 PM    (permalink
UncleHulka
Rookie

UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post

Also out of curiosity, where'd u get the info from?
The site footballsfuture.com has msg boards like this one. And I got a laugh at the Donnie Edwards comparison.
UncleHulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:59 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chargers | L. Leonard signs with team
Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:03:56 -0700

The San Diego Chargers announced the signing of undrafted free-agent DT Louis Leonard (Fresno State) to a two-year contract.

Nice signing, I was really looking hard at him for the Eagles. He is the perfect situational run stuffer, and he has amazing potential. I'll post my evaluation I had a while back for you guys.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:05 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Louis Leonard:

6'4 3/4" I've seen him listed from 320 to 353 pounds. Weight fluctuation can be a problem for him.

Positives: Obviously, he's massive. Excellent at tying up blockers, a solid 2 gap DT. Good initial quickness, has strength to anchor the line. He can be an effective pass-rusher at times because of his rare blend of quickness and power. Has a very powerful bull rush. Has a solid motor despite size when he is well rested.

Negatives: He lacks technique and experience. He only started the whole season as a senior. Needs to learn to use hands more effectively when shedding blocks. Wears down quickly, needs a rotation. Needs to monitor weight carefully. Lacks closing burst.

Overall: This guy seems like the situational run stuffer we've been dreaming about. He lacks technique, but honestly that doesn't make that much of a difference for a player like him. He's also not bad against the pass. He is a DT in the mold of Ma'ake Kemoeatu, and has rare athleticism for a 7th rounder-UFA prospect. The main knock on him is that he doesn't have much experience, so he could be a diamond in the rough for us.

As for how he will fare as a NT in the 3-4 I don't know but expect he is capable of it. If he manages to stick around he would be good to spell Jamal Williams.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:10 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningham06 View Post
Louis Leonard:

6'4 3/4" I've seen him listed from 320 to 353 pounds. Weight fluctuation can be a problem for him.

Positives: Obviously, he's massive. Excellent at tying up blockers, a solid 2 gap DT. Good initial quickness, has strength to anchor the line. He can be an effective pass-rusher at times because of his rare blend of quickness and power. Has a very powerful bull rush. Has a solid motor despite size when he is well rested.

Negatives: He lacks technique and experience. He only started the whole season as a senior. Needs to learn to use hands more effectively when shedding blocks. Wears down quickly, needs a rotation. Needs to monitor weight carefully. Lacks closing burst.

Overall: This guy seems like the situational run stuffer we've been dreaming about. He lacks technique, but honestly that doesn't make that much of a difference for a player like him. He's also not bad against the pass. He is a DT in the mold of Ma'ake Kemoeatu, and has rare athleticism for a 7th rounder-UFA prospect. The main knock on him is that he doesn't have much experience, so he could be a diamond in the rough for us.

As for how he will fare as a NT in the 3-4 I don't know but expect he is capable of it. If he manages to stick around he would be good to spell Jamal Williams.
Jamal is getting up there in years and with how essential the position is to a 3-4 defense I sure as hell hope this guy is "the diamond in the rough"
Old 04-30-2007, 10:50 PM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yall also signed Tra Battle CB / S from Georgia
Old 05-02-2007, 09:54 AM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

As an Iowa fan I liked watching Miguel Merrick, he came out of no where and got a couple of good picks. Solid pick up,

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote