Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 05-02-2007, 05:28 PM    (permalink
jdnoyes
Rookie

jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
Was a wasted pick. Classic Jerry Jones on a fishing expedition.

Not only that we could have likely taken Stanback in the 5th or 6th.

We just don't have much in the way of 2007 talent outside of Spencer. This is why we failed.

We don't need much to go to the big dance but this draft does not really get us closer -- it just got us some physically talented kids to develop.
I didn't like the Stanback pick, and still think its a longshot that he will ever amount to anything, but to say we failed before a single one of these guys has ever set foot on the field is quite a bold statement.
jdnoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:29 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Thule, I am providing an opinion. That is all. I am hoping I can back it up with some insights.

I have really gone through this draft in my mind and put up a 45 man roster and I just don't see it. I almost convinced myself otherwise on Sunday night but just can't see it.

Stanback as WR or QB? A full back? A kicker? Two developmental LT? Two developmental CB?
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Achilles33
Veteran

Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.

Stanback will make the team. And robert in big D, are you saying Free and Martan and Brown and Ball won't make the team? I don't think Ball will make the team, but I think the others will.
Achilles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:33 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Thule, I am providing an opinion. That is all. I am hoping I can back it up with some insights.

I have really gone through this draft in my mind and put up a 45 man roster and I just don't see it. I almost convinced myself otherwise on Sunday night but just can't see it.

Stanback as WR or QB? A full back? A kicker? Two developmental LT? Two developmental CB?
I can relate to how your feeling...but who could have saw us keeping Miles Austin last year...he had a weak TC...weak preseason...yet he still made the team over a guy like Rector who clearly outperformed him. Noone could even really forsee us keeping 5 WR's last year....in a 2 TE scheme it seemed ludacris...but after the fact...who coulda scene us keeping a KOS too...crazier things have happened...I won't write off a draft until TC...and if they make the team...they have 3 years to put up. Obviously higher drafted prospects need to show a little more earlier than a 2nd day guy.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:36 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles33 View Post
Stanback will make the team. And robert in big D, are you saying Free and Martan and Brown and Ball won't make the team? I don't think Ball will make the team, but I think the others will.
O will he?...serious man...atleast say Stanback has a good chance or something...you don't know the future.

If Free can outplay McQ on the outside...he has a roster spot...that'll be fun to watch in TC.
Marten will need to show some versatility I think. Mainly need to prove that he can man the RT position...and also that he can play interior OL if needed.
Procter is going to have to show snapping ability or outplay Marten to make the team.
McQ is going to have to outplay Free...or else win a job on the inside over Procter...and likely show that he is a better player than Marten. Because in reality if he can't win the LT job...he has 2 guys to outperform to make this roster...I think he is in a world of hurt.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 05-02-2007, 05:46 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles33 View Post
My predictions are that all but 1 Tackle (Marten or Free) and 1 OLB are practice squad fodder at best.

We drafted TWO guys who will be play in 2007. Only 1 will see anything of note barring catastrophic injuries.

You can book mark all my predictions. I have not one problem admitting I am wrong if so .....
Old 05-02-2007, 05:49 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I can relate to how your feeling...but who could have saw us keeping Miles Austin last year...he had a weak TC...weak preseason...yet he still made the team over a guy like Rector who clearly outperformed him. Noone could even really forsee us keeping 5 WR's last year....in a 2 TE scheme it seemed ludacris...but after the fact...who coulda scene us keeping a KOS too...crazier things have happened...I won't write off a draft until TC...and if they make the team...they have 3 years to put up. Obviously higher drafted prospects need to show a little more earlier than a 2nd day guy.

Funny news is I like the UDFA signings better than anything we did 5 through 7. At least they made sense. Take bona-fide athletes and let them compete.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:50 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
My predictions are that all but 1 Tackle (Marten or Free) and 1 OLB are practice squad fodder at best.

We drafted TWO guys who will be play in 2007. Only 1 will see anything of note barring catastrophic injuries.

You can book mark all my predictions. I have not one problem admitting I am wrong if so .....
I find it hard to believe that Free or Marten will make the PS. Mainly for the same reasons that Austin didn't get put on the PS. Organizations have a good idea at what teams are targetting...whether it's getting a call for a trade or something similar. But both guys have a good ceiling with a pretty solid floor...and teams will have a good idea...if they can pick up a guy they had rated in the top 100 of their rankings for the draft...and have had an injury or just didn't find the guy they thought...they'll probably go out around and look...guys like Free and Marten have too much name recognition to be put on the PS without getting picked up by someone else. McQ has a better shot at the PS then either of those two you mentioned.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 05-02-2007, 05:51 PM    (permalink
jdnoyes
Rookie

jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
O will he?...serious man...atleast say Stanback has a good chance or something...you don't know the future.

If Free can outplay McQ on the outside...he has a roster spot...that'll be fun to watch in TC.
Marten will need to show some versatility I think. Mainly need to prove that he can man the RT position...and also that he can play interior OL if needed.
Procter is going to have to show snapping ability or outplay Marten to make the team.
McQ is going to have to outplay Free...or else win a job on the inside over Procter...and likely show that he is a better player than Marten. Because in reality if he can't win the LT job...he has 2 guys to outperform to make this roster...I think he is in a world of hurt.
We talked about it in another thread, but we kept nine last year on the 53. Flo, Kosier, Gurode, Rivera, Colombo, McQuistan, Procter, Fabini, Johnson. This year Flo, Kosier, Gurode, Davis and Colombo are most likely your starting 5, which leaves (assuming Rivera retires) 4 spots for McQuistan, Procter, Marten, Free, Berger.

To me Free and Marten are safe because they would surely be snapped up if cut, and I don't think we let that happen based on where they were drafted and how badly they want to develop OL in house. So that leaves 2 spots for McQuistan, Procter and Berger. The key will be can Procter play center and can McQuistan play guard. If McQuistan shows at guard, which I think he will he is probably safe, which leaves Berger and Procter fighting it out based on who can better back up at center.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:51 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

McQuistan will be gobbled up in seconds.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:52 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Funny news is I like the UDFA signings better than anything we did 5 through 7. At least they made sense. Take bona-fide athletes and let them compete.
How does a kicker with an ability to kick a 62 yarder and kick off.
A fb with the ability to blow up a hole..yet the hands to effectively catch
and a corner with triangle numbers that stack up against anyone else in the draft

not make sense?

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 05-02-2007, 05:52 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

I see McQuistan, Proctor and Free on the active. ** Free is a LT **

Marten and Berger to the PS or another team.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:54 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Was a wasted pick. Classic Jerry Jones on a fishing expedition.

Not only that we could have likely taken Stanback in the 5th or 6th.

We just don't have much in the way of 2007 talent outside of Spencer. This is why we failed.

We don't need much to go to the big dance but this draft does not really get us closer -- it just got us some physically talented kids to develop.
Does everything have to be "Franchise" with you? Unless we have a Franchise player at every position in every round of the draft you're just not happy. You're so pissed off about nothing that you don't even make sense anymore.

How can you prove Stanback would've been there in the 5th (we didn't have a pick in the 5th btw) or the 6th? Bogus. Thule is right. You're the bi-polar version of Balaskonis and you both make no sense with your arguments.

How lucky are the rest of us Cowboys fans to enjoy the presence of you two characters?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:54 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnoyes View Post
We talked about it in another thread, but we kept nine last year on the 53. Flo, Kosier, Gurode, Rivera, Colombo, McQuistan, Procter, Fabini, Johnson. This year Flo, Kosier, Gurode, Davis and Colombo are most likely your starting 5, which leaves (assuming Rivera retires) 4 spots for McQuistan, Procter, Marten, Free, Berger.

To me Free and Marten are safe because they would surely be snapped up if cut, and I don't think we let that happen based on where they were drafted and how badly they want to develop OL in house. So that leaves 2 spots for McQuistan, Procter and Berger. The key will be can Procter play center and can McQuistan play guard. If McQuistan shows at guard, which I think he will he is probably safe, which leaves Berger and Procter fighting it out based on who can better back up at center.
If Marten shows he can be as versatile as advertised...being able to play 4 OL positions...and Procter shows he can snap and also play inside...with the addition of a KOS and a possible 3 QB or a utility guy...I think we could see 8 OL. Procter didn't show anything to other teams...he was on detroits PS for awhile before getting picked up. If we do carry 9 tho...McQ obviously gets the nod.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 05-02-2007, 05:56 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I see McQuistan, Proctor and Free on the active. ** Free is a LT **

Marten and Berger to the PS or another team.
I actually see Marten and Proctor on the gameday roster and Free on the inactive roster for the majority of the year. Marten can pinch either tackle position. Proctor would have started at RG last year after the Seattle game...and can supposedly snap. That is plenty of gameday depth.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 05-02-2007, 05:56 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
How does a kicker with an ability to kick a 62 yarder and kick off.
A fb with the ability to blow up a hole..yet the hands to effectively catch
and a corner with triangle numbers that stack up against anyone else in the draft

not make sense?
Just do a 45 man roster and then let me know. I did one some days back and it did not look good.

If I give one of those guys a shot it is to Brown b/c Reeves and Jones are very mediocre.

The Kicker will not beat out Gramatica unles Wade carries two kickers. The FB is going to beat out Hoyt (ILB too) and Polite?

Look, the one BIG THING I am over looking is Wade. If he comes in looking to show folks who is the boss he is going to shat can some of the later roster guys BP loved. Prove who is the boss (sort of).

So, anyway. Do a 45 man roster and we can chat. I did mine.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:58 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Luckily we can keep 53 during the season.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:02 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Does everything have to be "Franchise" with you? Unless we have a Franchise player at every position in every round of the draft you're just not happy. You're so pissed off about nothing that you don't even make sense anymore.

How can you prove Stanback would've been there in the 5th (we didn't have a pick in the 5th btw) or the 6th? Bogus. Thule is right. You're the bi-polar version of Balaskonis and you both make no sense with your arguments.

How lucky are the rest of us Cowboys fans to enjoy the presence of you two characters?
D-Unit, I don't come out with opinions screaming and yelling as others. I actually make lots of sense.

Why can't you wait and see if my predictions are correct? I am willing to wait on yours.

But when it does happen I don't want arguing over "who is right." I am willing to say it when I am wrong.

I know my football, just leave it at that and let us chat in October.

With respect to your put downs and comparisons -- well -- they speak poorly of you regardless of your "Admin" title. Disagreement is not a basis for name calling unless you are ...... leave it at that.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:03 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Luckily we can keep 53 during the season.
Last I checked 53 don't play on Sunday.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:04 PM    (permalink
jdnoyes
Rookie

Quote:
If Marten shows he can be as versatile as advertised...being able to play 4 OL positions...and Procter shows he can snap and also play inside...with the addition of a KOS and a possible 3 QB or a utility guy...I think we could see 8 OL. Procter didn't show anything to other teams...he was on detroits PS for awhile before getting picked up. If we do carry 9 tho...McQ obviously gets the nod.
Jerry pretty strongly hinted McQ will be tried at guard. I think the biggest question mark on the line this year is who wins the backup Center job. Somebody has to be active on game day to back up Gurode, so I think we'll keep nine guys with either Berger or Procter last man out. McQuistan has to be concerned though, hope he's been working hard this offseason. Many times new coaches come in and get rid of the old guys pet projects. Thats why I think guys like Procter, McQ, Tyson T., Polite and a few others better bring it in camp this year or they could be gone.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:04 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
I actually see Marten and Proctor on the gameday roster and Free on the inactive roster for the majority of the year. Marten can pinch either tackle position. Proctor would have started at RG last year after the Seattle game...and can supposedly snap. That is plenty of gameday depth.
That is fine. I did say 1 of the 2 Tackle Draftees would be active. Free or Marten is just a unit of capacity.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:05 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnoyes View Post
Many times new coaches come in and get rid of the old guys pet projects. Thats why I think guys like Procter, McQ, Tyson T., Polite and a few others better bring it in camp this year or they could be gone.
Did I just not say this on this very thread?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:06 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think people are waaaaaaaaay undervaluing McQuistan's place on this team. If you'll recall, this guy was the story during training camp last year. From all reports, he has the ability to be a quality starter at one of the 3 most important positions on the team (LT). Not only that, but you'll recall that Jerry, going into the off-season, was telling his coaching staff that "McQuistan has got to be ready to start" next year. Does that sound like someone who is a borderline guy that might get cut? No, it doesn't.

In my mind, Pat is the future at LT until further notice. It's that simple. I have never heard Parcells gush about a young player the way that he did about McQuistan. It was extremely out of the ordinary for him to go out of his way to compliment and build a guy up like that. To use a Parcellism, "He's stayin'". That's all there is to it.

As for Marten and Free, I think one of them is going to have to have the versatility to be the swing tackle, in order for us to keep them activated on game day. I really wouldn't be surprised to see one of those guys get cut in camp. I know it's unusual, but with our oline like it is, that's how I feel.

Here is the number crunch:

Adams/Kosier/Gurode/Davis/Colombo= 5
McQuistan backup G/T =6
Proctor backup C/G = 7

That leaves either one or two more spots for O-line. If both Free AND Marten play well in camp, that would leave them as backup LT and RT, with one of them needing to be able to swing back and forth for game day. I think both will make the team, and that my scenario above will ultimately play out.
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:07 PM    (permalink
jdnoyes
Rookie

Quote:
Did I just not say this on this very thread?
Yep, while I was typing my response to thule. Want a cookie?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Last I checked 53 don't play on Sunday.
That's not what I'm saying. The game day roster changes week to week based of health, opponent, game plan, who's doing well, etc. etc.

So I have no idea why you are trying to narrow down to a 45 man roster now. You wouldn't even be able to do it on the morning of game day.

We keep 53 men on the active roster. Discuss that. It makes entirely more sense.