Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 05-01-2007, 03:04 PM    (permalink
MURPHMAN
Rookie

MURPHMAN hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Keyshawn CUT??!!!???

Hearing rumors everywhere that Keyshawn just got cut by the Panthers. Dan Patrick just mentioned in on ESPN radio.

What the?
MURPHMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:09 PM    (permalink
ChefMike
Veteran

ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURPHMAN View Post
Hearing rumors everywhere that Keyshawn just got cut by the Panthers. Dan Patrick just mentioned in on ESPN radio.

What the?
Searched high and low for that rumor and cant find any source anywhere that can confirm or deny.... but everywhere I read nothing is even being talked about so I wouldnt worry.
ChefMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:11 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.charlotte.com/209/story/105900.html
Old 05-01-2007, 03:15 PM    (permalink
simmy1989
Rookie

simmy1989 is a cocksman.simmy1989 is a cocksman.simmy1989 is a cocksman.simmy1989 is a cocksman.

i'm a huge keyshawn fan and I can't find many sources behind this so hopefully it's not true because I was really looking forward to the upcoming season with Carolina but if not then I will have a new favorite team and I wish the Panthers all the luck in the world, unless they play keyshawn this year, lol, I will be pissed though if this is ture
simmy1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:20 PM    (permalink
PortlandPanther

yeah, its true, i JUST saw it scroll along the bottom of the ticker on NFL network. dang, i was really hoping they'd keep him one year to help groom dwayne jarrett.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:21 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doesn't make a damn bit of sense.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:28 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow, lol, on Saturday he was so ecstatic about getting a chance to train him.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:16 PM    (permalink
pantherfreak

I have no words. Welcome to the starting lineup, Dwayne Jarrett.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:57 PM    (permalink
FirstAndGoal
Rookie

FirstAndGoal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It doesn't make sense. Keyshawn said the Panthers told him that they wanted to get younger, but we have the team to win now, and no matter how good Jarrett will be in the future, Key will be better next year. Plus, Keyshawn would have been able to teach Jarrett the nuances of the game and make him into a better player. This was a stupid move by the Panthers.

Sig by DLS42
FirstAndGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:41 AM    (permalink
pantherfreak

I'm still waiting for Keary Colbert to be cut.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:44 AM    (permalink
pantherfreak

OK, so offense?

QB Jake Delhomme
RB DeAngelo Williams
WR Dwayne Jarrett
TE Jeff King
LT Travelle Wharton
LG Mike Wahle
C Ryan Khalil
RG Jeremy Bridges
RT Jordan Gross
WR Steve Smith
Old 05-02-2007, 09:38 AM    (permalink
d-dave

You have to look at things in the long term, and think about what Key brought to the team. After reading all of Hurney's stuff, and some of the Charlotte beatwriters, I think it will end up being a good decision.

Steve Smith will be just as good a tutor as Key will be. Don't forget, Richard Williamson is a very underrated WR coach.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:07 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After having thought about it a little more, I'm really fine with this.

The only thing that will really change my mind is that after we release Key talking about it being a youth movement will be if Diggs starts a single game this season over Beason and/or Anderson.

I realize Diggs is only 28 himself, but if we're cutting Keyshawn to get our younger players more time on the field the same logic holds true to Diggs. We re-signed him this year basically because Anderson didn't have that much experience. So then if Diggs gets the majority of snaps again this year...do we re-sign Diggs to yet another one year deal because Anderson still doesn't have that much playing time under his belt?
Old 05-02-2007, 02:02 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is a dumb move but it will only hurt us a little more than cutting Buckner did last year. Key provided a good amount of production but Smitty can carry the brunt of it anyway. We'll miss his run blocking more than anything IMO

just wish there was still a way for Colbert to get cut
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:59 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It's funny, out of the 90 players currently listed on our roster page only eight are 30-years-old or older. That includes our kicker, long-snapper, and three players who just hit 30. We certainly aren't an old team and definitely not one that's in need of a "youth movement." I would have to believe there was a little more to this Keyshawn's release.

If it is some type of youth movement here's a quick breakdown of each of our 30+ year old players:

QB - Jake Delhomme
FB - Brad Hoover
K - John Kasay
LB/LS - Jason Kyle
LB - Terrence Melton
S - Mike Minter
DE - Mike Rucker
G - Mike Wahle

Now a look at some of our free agency and draft additions:

QB - David Carr
FB/TE - Dante Rosario
K - Andrew Wellock
LB - Jon Beason
LB - Tim Shaw
S - C.J. Wilson
DE - Charles Johnson
Potential LS - Ryan Kalil

Every older player now has a replacement on the roster, next year could be interesting.

Last edited by JustJoe2k5 : 05-02-2007 at 04:03 PM.
JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:03 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Keyshawn didn't do that much.

This is a new offense, that means everyone is being re-evaluated and Colbert gets a new slate.

We have a different offense now people, one that hopefully will actually use players correctly.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:05 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post

This is a new offense, that means everyone is being re-evaluated and Colbert gets a new slate.

We have a different offense now people, one that hopefully will actually use players correctly.
I hope you're right, I think if Dante Rosario is used correctly he could be a dangerous down-the-field weapon from either the tight end or fullback position.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:32 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

If Keary "Benched for Taye Biddle" Colbert gets a clean slate I dont see why Keyshawn couldnt. Cut all the scrubs who were problems last year, and Colbert was definetly one of them
Old 05-02-2007, 05:02 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
If Keary "Benched for Taye Biddle" Colbert gets a clean slate I dont see why Keyshawn couldnt. Cut all the scrubs who were problems last year, and Colbert was definetly one of them
Because we brought in a guy who was supposed to help, because it wasn't the offensive style that was wrong. It didn't work, and now we have changed the style.

That said, the offensive coordinator got to re-evaluate all the players and decide how he can use them. That coupled with the drafting of Jarrett, made the team feel that they could move on without having to pay him that bonus.

Colbert never made excuses for anything, and was always a team guy. Keyshawn however if you read wouldn't take the blame when asked too. Did he have to? No, but it would have been the right thing to do on two levels. One, help the team overall, and two it would have helped his image tremendously.

Stop acting like Keyshawn is the number one receiver on this team. We win with Smith, not with him.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:37 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
If it is some type of youth movement here's a quick breakdown of each of our 30+ year old players:

QB - Jake Delhomme
FB - Brad Hoover
K - John Kasay
LB/LS - Jason Kyle
LB - Terrence Melton
S - Mike Minter
DE - Mike Rucker
G - Mike Wahle
An interesting note of those players over 30:

3 have contracts that expire after this year (Hoover, Rucker, and Melton)

Kasay & Kyle's both expire the following year

Minter has already announced his intentions to retire following this year

Wahle and Jake are the only two signed beyond 2008, and their deals expire after the 2009 season (Minter is signed through 2009 but has announced retirement plans).
Old 05-02-2007, 06:23 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

I'd expect all three (Hoover, Rucker, and Melton) to be out by next year. Although, I would like to see Davidson give Hoover more opportunities to carry the football this season. I always thought that was one of Henning's biggest mistakes throughout his time here.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:23 PM    (permalink
FirstAndGoal
Rookie

So who is our starting RB next season? I vote DeAngelo, but I figure the coaching staff will go with DeShaun to be loyal.

Sig by DLS42
Old 05-02-2007, 06:28 PM    (permalink
FirstAndGoal
Rookie

oops wrong thread oh well.

Sig by DLS42
Old 05-02-2007, 08:34 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Because we brought in a guy who was supposed to help, because it wasn't the offensive style that was wrong. It didn't work, and now we have changed the style.

That said, the offensive coordinator got to re-evaluate all the players and decide how he can use them. That coupled with the drafting of Jarrett, made the team feel that they could move on without having to pay him that bonus.

Colbert never made excuses for anything, and was always a team guy. Keyshawn however if you read wouldn't take the blame when asked too. Did he have to? No, but it would have been the right thing to do on two levels. One, help the team overall, and two it would have helped his image tremendously.

Stop acting like Keyshawn is the number one receiver on this team. We win with Smith, not with him.
I'm indifferent to cutting Keyshawn. I don't think we get any better by getting rid of him, but it doesn't make us much worse either. In a hypothetical situation where you could throw 20 passes, 13 to Smitty, 7 to Key or 17 to Smitty, 3 to some random scrub I'd take the 17 to Smitty scenario any day. That said, I'd rather that scrub be someone who sucks and cares than someone who sucks and doesn't care. Keary may not have blamed anyone but he moped around and looked like a lazy mother ****er last season. At least Key gave 100% in games.

If he gets a clean slate he better prove in training camp that it was worth it. This isn't an Eric Shelton situation where he was in Henning's doghouse from day 1. He broke out in Henning's offense his rookie year, regressed his sophomore, then sat on his ass all of last year. I can see how the Weis offense benefits his playstyle a little better, but he caught FIVE PASSES last year. That's a lot of improvement to be made regardless if he's playing on the Colts or the Texans. If he can do it, then great. I just don't like the idea of handing him a roster spot before camp. Why couldn't we go into TC with Keyshawn and have Drew Carter + Keary think they were fighting it out for a job? Then, if they both show something, cut Key. The $1 million we would have given to Johnson for reporting to TC would have been worth it

We brought Keyshawn in to help take pressure of Smitty, get 3rd downs, get us to the Super Bowl, right? So it didn't happen. It wasn't Keyshawn's fault if that's what you were saying, but he didn't help matters much either I'll agree.

What did we use a 2nd round pick on Keary Colbert for? To warm the bench?

Last edited by SchizophrenicBatman : 05-02-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:49 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Did you see how Colbert was playing in the preseason compared to the regular season? He was great, the offense was great. Then, the regular season came and we sucked.

That tells me one specific thing. We all know teams don't gameplan for the preseason, which to me says that when teams gameplanned, they knew what we were doing. They knew how to stop Colbert and the offense. We couldn't rely on pure talent anymore.

Why do you think teams like the Jets make the playoffs after being horrible the previous year? Game planning. Everyone in this league has talent, it is smarts that win this game. We have been wasting our time in that bull **** offense try to just "out talent" everyone. We can't, because not everyone on the team is as good as Smith.

Scrubs or not, they can be good players. Take a look at what coaching tree Davidson comes from, Weis offenses take mediocre players and put them in positions to be perfectly fine for the position. Look at the Patriots last year, seriously, Caldwell, Troy Brown and Gaffney? Yet they were still a very efficient offense. Granted they have Brady, but we have Smith.

There is no reason to say that Colbert cannot be a guy like the above mentioned.