Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 05-01-2007, 08:41 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Well this draft is all said and done and it's to to training camp. Just for fun, I figured I'd make an early prediction on our 2007 finish and who I'd want in our 2008 draft. I think we will finish with a similar record this year as we did last year and be picking in about the 8-12 range. I think you will see a much more explosive offense but theres will also be a fair share of mistakes as the young guys at WR, QB, and OL get adjusted to new roles and working together. I think we will still be towards the bottom thrid of the league on offense but with alot of upside and alot more exciting and we will grow in the future.

On defense, I expect to see us step back some. I think you'll see guys like Roth, Jason Allen, Fred Evans and Rod Wright get some chances at solid playing time and I think we'll see some flashes of things to come but I also think we'll see some mistakes in the process. We will still be a top 10 defense but You'll see some slowing down from Joey Porter, Vonnie Holliday and of course I doubt Jason Taylor repeats his incredible proformance from last season. The young guys will solidify themselves in a rotation this season and work into bigger roles for the future. I think you'll see Jason Allen get comfortable as a CB and shows some signs of life over the course of the year and move into the nickelback role.

With all that said. Here are my hopes for picks.

RD1- Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami (FL)
Reason behind pick: I think you'll see Porter, Taylor, Holliday and Thomas slow down slightly as an indicator that we need to start planning for the future sooner rather then later. Those guys should still have some good years left but while we have some young talent ready to step up on defense, there really isn't a game chaning defender under the age of 30. Bell will be a FA and Hill wouldn have one year left, leaving Phillips as a top safety on the board and a big time playmaking player for us.

RD2- Jonathan Goff, ILB, Georgia Tech
Reason behind pick: Crowder is holding down one spot but Zach is getting older and I'm really expecting him to start showing signs next year. Goff is on track to be a late 1st, early 2nd round pick so getting him would be a nice pickup. He will backup Thomas and see action in the times we got into the 4-3 lineup on occasions. Taylor can move to DE, Porter to the bench and Goff, Crowder and Thomas as the LBs. As you can see, the age on defense is a major concern and the top two picks go into adding youth on that side of the ball. Goff also has some solid pass rushing ability with his 3 sacks, 6 tackles for a loss, 4 QB hurries and 2 forced fumbles. At 6'4" 240 LBs, he has the size to occasional play OLB in the 3-4 and he is solid in coverage. He is very versitile and can fit into many different positions along our defense.

RD3- Greg Carr, WR, Florida State
Reason behind pick: After going with two defensive players early, its time to build more onto that promising young offense. I think Booker will by gone by the time this draft rolls around but that Chambers will bounce back and that Ginn and Hagan will come on and brings some spark to the offense. However, there still is not a true number 1 target and I'm not sure Hagan's hands will allow him to contribute in more then situational roles. Carr has everything you look for from a physical standpoint but has been an underachiever at FSU. He's 6'6" and runs in the 4.45 range at 205 pounds. He played for a FSU team that is pretty deep at WR with Willie Reid and Chris Davis each going in the past two drafts. I think Carr's limited playmaking in college will drop him lower then he should go and that he could be a steal for us in early round 3 and he can grow into a solid starter for us with Chambers while Ginn plays the slot and Hagan gets situational catches.

RD4-Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson
Reason behind pick: A massive man at 6'7" and 325 pounds. Has upside to work at RT in the NFL. I dont expect Shelton to be with us much longer and considering that Cam Cameron seems to like Carey at LT and the rest of the guys (Satele, Toledo, Hadnot, Mormino, Stevenson) all seem to be interior linemen in the NFL. That leaves Alabi by himself at RT and we need depth at that area just in case Alabi stumbles.

RD5- Adam Leonard, LB, Hawaii
Reason behind pick: Hawaii players seem to be popular in the Miami Dolphins circles these days. Leonard is the backbone of the Hawaii defense and is talented enough to make the transition to being a solid NFL ILB.

That's about as far as I can go with it. Hope you all enjoy. Just figured it'd be fun to throw some ideas out there.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:51 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Richardson is a legit round 1 guy, round 2 at worst.

I think Kenny Phillips is very realistic, and I expect 5/6 wins next year so we should be in position to get him. Goff should be there in round 2, and even if he isn't another MLB should be as the MLB class next year is fantastic. Carr is an intriguing guy with his red zone ability.

With 4 offensive players on day 1 this year I am looking for a defense heavy draft next year. I wouldn't mind a first day of DE/OLB, ILB, and a safety. Guys like Brian Cushing, Vernon Gholston, Chris Ellis and Quentin Groves all look like first round possibilities. The only day one pick on offense that I wouldn't mind is at LT, where a first round guy is also a possibility with Sam Baker or Jared Gaither, or maybe a guy like Tony Hillis Jr. Really depends on how Carey does this year at LT. We need someone early to either start next year if Taylor retires, or at least get a guy to develop there.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:53 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great picks there. Although we are a little far away right now to tell, but it seems good for now. If our linebackers do start to show themselves slowing down, or is Taylor retires (**gasp**), I would love to grab Vernon Gholston in the first round. Although I'm still not sure if this guy is human.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:49 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Richardson is a legit round 1 guy, round 2 at worst.

I think Kenny Phillips is very realistic, and I expect 5/6 wins next year so we should be in position to get him. Goff should be there in round 2, and even if he isn't another MLB should be as the MLB class next year is fantastic. Carr is an intriguing guy with his red zone ability.

With 4 offensive players on day 1 this year I am looking for a defense heavy draft next year. I wouldn't mind a first day of DE/OLB, ILB, and a safety. Guys like Brian Cushing, Vernon Gholston, Chris Ellis and Quentin Groves all look like first round possibilities. The only day one pick on offense that I wouldn't mind is at LT, where a first round guy is also a possibility with Sam Baker or Jared Gaither, or maybe a guy like Tony Hillis Jr. Really depends on how Carey does this year at LT. We need someone early to either start next year if Taylor retires, or at least get a guy to develop there.
I see Richardson dropping into the mid rounds very, very easily. I don't think he is remotely close to a round 1 guy. Round 2 at best. With a OT heavy draft that include Jake Long, Sam Baker, Jared Gaither, Kirk Barton, Heath Benedict and a few other guys. I think Richardson could be one to fall very easily.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:09 AM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I just want to see either Phillips or Campbell in aqua and orange next year and see us get a tackle next year. I dont care if we have the 20th pick or the first pick overall I want a damn tackle.

:)
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:16 PM    (permalink
reese

j. goff...plays for vandy doesnt he?
Old 05-18-2007, 07:48 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reese View Post
j. goff...plays for vandy doesnt he?
Yea, didn't realize he put GT.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote