Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 05-01-2007, 09:38 PM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default G. Olsen

Before the draft not too many of us including myself were high on drafting this guy. Popular opinion was that he was a poor blocker and overhyped due to his forty time. I thought TE wasn't a first round need because of the great season Clark had. Post draft I was caught by surprise how high JA was on this guy considering we turned down numerous trade offers to move down. He was wearing a Bear hat before San Diego even put their pick in. Ive learned to give JA the benefit of the doubt but I'm curious if and why your opinions about G.Olsen have changed post draft. What evidence do we have that he isn't just a workout warrior? Was he the right choice over Jarret?
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:21 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Time will tell with Jarrett, but now that we drafted him there is no point to oppose the fact that we have him. We could have had both :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:35 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's my understanding that the best way to beat the Tampa-2 defense is to have a great receiving TE. Like I said in another thread, I'm actually a Packers fan, but I wouldn't have minded too much if Green Bay took him at 16 just for that reason.

IIRC, the Vikings and Lions both run the Tampa-2, so when you combine that with that tough Chi-town defense (as if you guys didn't already own them) Olsen basically assures you guys of four wins. That's a nice cusion; I mean, just think, if -- and I'll come out and say that that's a huge if -- Green Bay managed to beat you twice, you would still only need four non-division wins to break .500. I think that, for that reason alone, it's a good pick. Sure, he's no Antonio Gates, but he's still a pretty good receiving TE.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:18 AM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am still not a fan of his, but that said I think he can be a big weapon. I want to see if we run more 2TE sets this year or what we do. I believe it is really depending on how we use him if it will be the right pick.

Either way I don't think Jarrett would have been good for us.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:53 AM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears10 View Post
I am still not a fan of his, but that said I think he can be a big weapon. I want to see if we run more 2TE sets this year or what we do. I believe it is really depending on how we use him if it will be the right pick.

Either way I don't think Jarrett would have been good for us.
Who would you rather have had at #31?

Greg was;

A) The best player on the board

B) A guy we needed

C) A great weapon for the offense

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:12 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pretty much summed it up there 34...

He's got enough speed to still stretch the field like a fast reciever, he's big enough to be a nice target at the 10 yd mark, and the blocking will be better. i'm assuring 2TE sets this year (or maybe even three. although gilmore counts as basically another tackle 90% of the time...)

olson was a better player on the board than the other WR's. i mentioned on how i wasn't high on the receiving class anyway. JA went BPA. Snagged someone i'd rather them have passed on.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:13 AM    (permalink
evershot
Rookie

evershot hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I really didn't think Olsen would fall to the Bears so I was surprise when he did. I can't complain with drafting Olsen because he can easily find playing time right away by either splitting time with Clark or in a two TE set. Jarrett would have a more difficult time finding playing time because he's too much like Moose but not nearly as polished. Jarrett wouldn't add anything new for the offense and while he may become a great possession WR and a great red zone target Olsen can be both of those things while also adding the ability to strike deep down the middle.
evershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:09 AM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im not gonna say I like it, but hes a bear now, and i root for all bears. I dont like that hes not gonna help block pretty much at all, but maybe he can be coached up to decent. Thats my only gripe with the guy.

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Welcome to Project Mayhem

This was stolen, and I appreciate it.
Jimmy Buckets <3
Bearsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:14 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbear View Post
Before the draft not too many of us including myself were high on drafting this guy. Popular opinion was that he was a poor blocker and overhyped due to his forty time. I thought TE wasn't a first round need because of the great season Clark had. Post draft I was caught by surprise how high JA was on this guy considering we turned down numerous trade offers to move down. He was wearing a Bear hat before San Diego even put their pick in. Ive learned to give JA the benefit of the doubt but I'm curious if and why your opinions about G.Olsen have changed post draft. What evidence do we have that he isn't just a workout warrior? Was he the right choice over Jarret?
Was Jarrett the number 2 option?

Anyhow, my feelings on Olsen haven't really changed. I had him graded in the 20's, so this was a solid value pick. I was fine pre-draft if we landed him ... but I thought some teams may jump ahead for him.

Olsen is a guy that could potentially stretch the seams, and with 3 other cover 2 teams in our division, that's a big plus. That said, here's a guy who doesn't really play up to his tools yet, and while some of that is on the situation in Miami in recent years offensively, some of that is on Greg.

I had Greg rated higher, but I liked Zach Miller better.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:01 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
Was Jarrett the number 2 option?
No. They had said they had Blaylock and Gonzales as the other two guys they were targeting for 31 or 37 along with Grubbs, Staley, and Olsen.

I don't really get why so many people wanted us to go with Jarrett. He's basically Moose version 2.0. Getting too caught up in the name.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:20 PM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
No. They had said they had Blaylock and Gonzales as the other two guys they were targeting for 31 or 37 along with Grubbs, Staley, and Olsen.

I don't really get why so many people wanted us to go with Jarrett. He's basically Moose version 2.0. Getting too caught up in the name.
Quote:
I also love Jarrett at 31. He's a perfect replacement for Moose, who probably has about two more years left on the team, at least at a high level. I think Moose could have an end to his career similar to Rod Smith in that he's still a reliable veteran though..
Umm. No disrespect and I realize this was from a while ago but I don't think you should act like you didn't want Jarret and everybody else did. Either way I understand if you were less high on him after his workouts or Angelo saying we wanted a faster reciever.

Is anybody else concerned with Olsen's less than stellar production at Miami? Can we just attribute this all to bad Quarterbacking because lets remember we don't exactly have Peyton Manning throwing to him.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:31 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Umm. No disrespect and I realize this was from a while ago but I don't think you should act like you didn't want Jarret and everybody else did. Either way I understand if you were less high on him after his workouts or Angelo saying we wanted a faster reciever.

Is anybody else concerned with Olsen's less than stellar production at Miami? Can we just attribute this all to bad Quarterbacking because lets remember we don't exactly have Peyton Manning throwing to him.
Yeah that's pretty much why. After they said they wanted a speed component that took Jarrett off the books.

That was also before Jarrett ran a bad 40 time and started slipping past the 1st round. Things fluctuate, but I was off Jarrett quite a while ago.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:34 PM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah that's pretty much why. After they said they wanted a speed component that took Jarrett off the books.

That was also before Jarrett ran a bad 40 time and started slipping past the 1st round. Things fluctuate, but I was off Jarrett quite a while ago.
Understandable. The theme of this draft definitely seemed to be speed. Lovie and Angelo are putting a premium on it. I guess Jarret wouldn't have fit into that mold although I think he will be very successful in Carolina since he is so similar to Moose.

I'm a little worried that Olsen doesn't have game speed. When people are blown away by someone's forty at the combine and the prospect still goes to a big school it usually means that he didnt look that fast on tape. What does everybody else think?
Old 05-02-2007, 02:03 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I should also note that this is relative to Olsen being available. I wouldn't have liked Gonzales, Grubbs, or Blaylock at 31 either if Olsen was still on the table. Any of those would have been fine at 37, but I don't support taking guards in the 1st round, or Wide Recievers that are likely limited to playing the slot.

My 4th reciever all along, even before Jarrett slipped, was Sidney Rice. I absolutely love the Vikings draft (not as a Bears fan though obviously). It was hands down the best draft IMO.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:05 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Understandable. The theme of this draft definitely seemed to be speed. Lovie and Angelo are putting a premium on it. I guess Jarret wouldn't have fit into that mold although I think he will be very successful in Carolina since he is so similar to Moose.

I'm a little worried that Olsen doesn't have game speed. When people are blown away by someone's forty at the combine and the prospect still goes to a big school it usually means that he didnt look that fast on tape. What does everybody else think?
I think people considered him fast prior to his 40 as well. Before his combine he was a projected late-1st, so in reality even if his game speed can't match his workout speed they still made the right pick relative to our needs.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:35 PM    (permalink
IBleedNavyandOrange
Rookie

IBleedNavyandOrange hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Blocking can be taught. Olsen is still a growing boy and everyone (including him) says that he has a lot of potential to put meat on his frame.

My personal opinion has always been that if you need a blocking TE to get your running game going, your problems are on the O-line and not with your TE.

Olsen was the smart pick. I hope he lives up to his potential.

Of course, I was hoping TB would make a stupid offer for Briggs and we could land CJ and Olsen (or Grubbs) in the first round.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:15 PM    (permalink
DaBears9654
Rookie

DaBears9654 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedNavyandOrange View Post
My personal opinion has always been that if you need a blocking TE to get your running game going, your problems are on the O-line and not with your TE.
Interesting point.

IMO, the Bears needed a TE who can go over the middle and be a threat in the passing game. Clark made some great catches last season, but I've said on here before how terrible backups Gabe Reid & John Gilmore are. I wouldn't have said it for a 3rd time, but it's relevant to what I'm saying. I think giving him his old college number means that Reid will be gone by the end of pre-season. Whether Gilmore remains is yet to be seen, or even indicated. Getting back to what I said to start this paragraph, I truly believe that the Bears got that kind of tight end in Olsen. The only things I don't like about drafting him are the aforementioned blocking and his agent (that same bozo that represents Lance Briggs & Tommie Harris).

NFC North right ends are shaking in their cleats.

Or @ least they had better be.
DaBears9654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:55 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Reid is already gone. He was a RFA and the Bears didn't tender him. He's not on the team.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:31 AM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

not only that, but we also have that guy on our practice squad, the second rounder that came over from Houston, so Gilmore will probably be gone as well.

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Welcome to Project Mayhem

This was stolen, and I appreciate it.
Jimmy Buckets <3
Bearsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:20 PM    (permalink
DaBears9654
Rookie

DaBears9654 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Reid is already gone. He was a RFA and the Bears didn't tender him. He's not on the team.
I guess that I need to pay better attn. to the roster page @ ChicagoBears.com.

NFC North right ends are shaking in their cleats.

Or @ least they had better be.
DaBears9654 is offline   Reply With Quote