Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 05-03-2007, 06:56 PM    (permalink
LarryJohnson27
Rookie

LarryJohnson27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Dawyne Bowe- Lasik

Much has been made with Bowe and his drops early in his career, and his eye issue, but all that was said to have stopped after the lasik surgery. Searching around message boards, I've heard everything from the eye problem being minor to is being horrible. My question is was it really the surgery? Did it make that much of a difference? How much did he really improve?
LarryJohnson27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't watch much of Bowe before last year, but I heard the difference was like night and day. That said, Bowe did display an occasional case of the drops last year that appeared to be more concentration than lack of hand to eye coordination.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He was nearly legally bling befor the surgery, so I would say it was a big issue. It really helped out his carrer. His drops improved senior year, though there does still appear to be a very small problem with that. So, it was a big part but I also think he devoted himsleft to improving that. Hopefully he'll continue to improve it.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:03 PM    (permalink
LarryJohnson27
Rookie

It's been said he didn't start playing football until his Junior year of high school, so I guess we can expect improvement in just about everywhere.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:27 PM    (permalink
metafour
Veteran

metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The stuff about him being nearly "legally blind" is BS. The guy wouldn't be able to play football period if he was "that" blind. The surgery has helped but he still drops catchable balls if thats what you're asking. He didn't go from being blind to catching the ball ala Jerry Rice.
metafour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:48 PM    (permalink
JC the Savior
Rookie

JC the Savior hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm sure it was also a major psychological (confidence) improvement as well.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:12 PM    (permalink
myinnerself
Rookie

myinnerself hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metafour View Post
The stuff about him being nearly "legally blind" is BS. The guy wouldn't be able to play football period if he was "that" blind. The surgery has helped but he still drops catchable balls if thats what you're asking. He didn't go from being blind to catching the ball ala Jerry Rice.
Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe he was almost legally blind, but I GUARANTEE he had contacts. My vision isn't that bad, but if I didn't have my contacts I simply couldn't play football period.
myinnerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:37 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by myinnerself View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe he was almost legally blind, but I GUARANTEE he had contacts. My vision isn't that bad, but if I didn't have my contacts I simply couldn't play football period.
The problem with contacts is they get knocked out when you get hit hard enough?

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:13 AM    (permalink
metafour
Veteran

metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
To me the whole LASIK surgery thing grew as an attempt to explain Bowe's problems in the past. He took a lot of criticism from LSU fans because of his enormous drop problems, so it makes perfectly good sense to use eye surgery as a crutch. I'm sure right after the surgery he was asked about it and the obvious reaction would be to say something like "its helping immensely...I could barely see before I got the surgery." The media tends to blow everything out of proportion so a story such as this one likely went from Bowe being "barely able to see" to Bowe being "nearly legally blind" in about a week.
metafour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:24 AM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
To me the whole LASIK surgery thing grew as an attempt to explain Bowe's problems in the past. He took a lot of criticism from LSU fans because of his enormous drop problems, so it makes perfectly good sense to use eye surgery as a crutch. I'm sure right after the surgery he was asked about it and the obvious reaction would be to say something like "its helping immensely...I could barely see before I got the surgery." The media tends to blow everything out of proportion so a story such as this one likely went from Bowe being "barely able to see" to Bowe being "nearly legally blind" in about a week.
I agree, I'm not buyin the whole, legally blind bit. Do you honestly think he'd be on the field if he was "legally blind"? Even if he was wearing contacts it shouldn't have been a HUGE difference from contacts --> lasik, except a minor discomfort.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:42 AM    (permalink
myinnerself
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsDemon12 View Post
The problem with contacts is they get knocked out when you get hit hard enough?
Ha, no man. I guarantee a ton of NFL players wear contact lenses. I know me and several teammates during high school wore contacts and I can't remember them ever giving me problems, and trust me, its like impossible for them to get knocked out from getting hit hard. The only issue with contacts and football is possibly getting dirt or grass in your eyes, which is a problem for any person with eyes.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:02 AM    (permalink
constant cough
Rookie

constant cough hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Auburn 05' is the game that stand out in my mind as his worst game as far as dropped balls. Unlike you guys though I take him at his word since from what I saw from him in 06' he improved considerably.
constant cough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:28 AM    (permalink
RaiderDude

Without Russell, Bowe is a early 3rd rd pick
Old 05-04-2007, 09:34 AM    (permalink
myinnerself
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDude View Post
Ha, some might say without Bowe and Davis that Russell doesn't go as early as he did.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:29 AM    (permalink
LarryJohnson27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDude View Post
I totally disagree. Russell has nothing to do with Bowe's nice size and speed combination, ability to beat press coverage, or throw some wonderful blocks. As a matter of fact, in Bowe's best performance, Senior Bowl week, Russell was nowhere around.

Last edited by LarryJohnson27 : 05-04-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:32 PM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

kmartin575 needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJohnson27 View Post
I totally disagree. Russell has nothing to do with Bowe's nice size and speed combination, ability to beat press coverage, or throw some wonderful blocks. As a matter of fact, in Bowe's best performance, Senior Bowl week, Russell was nowhere around.
Consider the source. No reason to believe RaiderDude seriously believes that. He also is obvlivious to the fact that Russell is the next Ryan Leaf.
kmartin575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:01 AM    (permalink
theogt
Rookie

theogt hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Whatever happened, his completion percentage rose significantly and his drops dropped significantly.
theogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:20 AM    (permalink
myinnerself
Rookie

Yeah, I wanna make it clear that I really like him as a receiver, and am bummed that he went somewhere in the division, but this whole "he was legally blind" stuff just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:10 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ha, some might say without Bowe and Davis that Russell doesn't go as early as he did.
I'd say he never would have won the start in camp.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:26 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It could very well have had a psychological affect on him. Placebo effect in a way, only not a placebo. Knowing that your eyes are now "perfect" would I imagine give someone who has been used to not seeing well great confidence. WR is very much a confidence position, it is why you get so many egotistical guys playing the position, you have to have extreme confidence. LASIK probably fixed his eyes a bit but it probably had a bigger affect on his confidence.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:55 AM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He said that last season he saw three balls coming at him at once, and he just tried to grab the middle one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:44 PM    (permalink
theogt
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
It could very well have had a psychological affect on him. Placebo effect in a way, only not a placebo. Knowing that your eyes are now "perfect" would I imagine give someone who has been used to not seeing well great confidence. WR is very much a confidence position, it is why you get so many egotistical guys playing the position, you have to have extreme confidence. LASIK probably fixed his eyes a bit but it probably had a bigger affect on his confidence.
It could have been, yes, but if you've ever played sports with contacts, you'd know it's not a very easy thing. Sweat and movement aren't very friendly to contacts.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ha, no man. I guarantee a ton of NFL players wear contact lenses. I know me and several teammates during high school wore contacts and I can't remember them ever giving me problems, and trust me, its like impossible for them to get knocked out from getting hit hard. The only issue with contacts and football is possibly getting dirt or grass in your eyes, which is a problem for any person with eyes.
Well I did the impossable in high school.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:58 PM    (permalink
theogt
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
Well I did the impossable in high school.
Ditto. It's not like they have to pop out. THey can just slide to the side of your eye, which is a royal pain.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJohnson27 View Post
Much has been made with Bowe and his drops early in his career, and his eye issue, but all that was said to have stopped after the lasik surgery. Searching around message boards, I've heard everything from the eye problem being minor to is being horrible. My question is was it really the surgery? Did it make that much of a difference? How much did he really improve?
LSU fan here. Dwayne used to joke about seeing 3 footballs being thrown at him and he'd just have to concentrate on catching the ball in the middle.

The surgery helped him a lot.
Acreboy is offline   Reply With Quote