Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 05-05-2007, 02:33 PM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Merlin hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Question Your Draft

As things are a little quite at the moment, looking back at our Draft, what selections would you have made differently with the same players available to us in each round?
Old 05-05-2007, 03:02 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Amobi Okoye: I'm fine with Adams but Okoye has more potential (over 4 years younger) and he's the only great talent at his position (can't get a good UT later).
2a. Justin Blalock: Great value and we need interior linemen.
2b. Buster Davis: Black is more athletic but Davis is a flat-out animal and competitor. He can play any LB position and be a great special teamer.
3. Charles Johnson: Great value and potential as Spires' replacement.
4. Tanard Jackson: I'd start him from Day 1 as a CB or FS. He's tenacious and instinctive.
5. Aundrae Allison: Perfect fit for our offense, he's well-rounded.
6. John Wendling: Amazing value and athleticism. Special teamer and eventually will battle Phillips for the starting spot.
7a. Ben Patrick: Just so we won't have Stevens!:D
7b. Darius Walker: Nice weapon for the offense and could save cap room if we cut Pittman. Practice roster at the very least.
7c. Chad Nkang: Special teamer who fits the defense in case of injury.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Watchman
Veteran

Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.

I don't have enough knowledge about all the prospects to re-cast all 7 rounds, but here's a go at the early rounds.

1. Okoye - I like the Adams pick, but with the benefit of hindsight (to some extent) I'd be comfortable taking UT knowing that there would be value/talent at the DE position in the 2nd and 3rd round.

2a. Kalil - The rationale of moving Buenning to play the center position while drafting a replacement guard doesn't make much sense to me. Just take the best center in the draft and keep Buenning at the guard spot. I'm not as down on the Sears pick as many. I think he's a solid G and provides flexibility along the o-line, I just think the logic is flawed. (Weddle is a tempting pick)

2b. Piscitelli - I actually like this pick a lot. Smart, athletic, with great size and good speed.

3. Charles Johnson - Great value, addresses a need, and in the end I think I like the combo of Okoye and Johnson in the first three rounds better than just Adams.

4. Tanard Jackson - great pick addressing the need for youth and talent in the secondary.

Honestly I would have burned some picks to trade up in round 2, first I would have moved up to take Branch and then I would have moved up again to take Kalil. Given Gruden/Allen's horrible track record when it comes to 2nd day picks I wouldn't have had a problem trading those picks away to move up in the 2nd round and get solid talent that addresses glaring needs. The Q. Black pick is still a head scratcher. I just can't see using a 3rd rounder on a WLB when you have Brooks, June, and Winborn all able to play the spot. It just didn't seem like a need. Taking Black over Johnson in the 3rd was madness in my opinion.

If you apply the trades I threw out there the Bucs would have had Okoye, Branch, Kalil, and Johnson in the first three rounds. Complete overhaul of the d-line with young talent, and address the primary need on the o-line.
Watchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm actually pleased with the Buccaneer's draft and after letting it sink in for a while, I wouldn't change too much.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:15 PM    (permalink
Watchman
Veteran

Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
I'm actually pleased with the Buccaneer's draft and after letting it sink in for a while, I wouldn't change too much.
Nothing? Not one pick? Just for fun?
Watchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:17 PM    (permalink
Zbikowski_9
Rookie

Zbikowski_9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think they did a pretty good job, i thought with wat was left on the board they would have taken Okoye, but i think Gaines was the right choice, in my opinion he will be great or a major bust, i don't see too much middle ground, maybe he moves to OLB if he fails like Calvin Pace did. Although it is way too early to say that stuff.

All in all, i think it was good they replaced Rice with Gaines, Lynch with Sabby, Kelly with Tanard ect.

The only change is either Kalil or Blaylock over Sears
......Robinson Evans Guion Mitchell......

Join this football simulator...its pretty sweet. http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=13176733
Zbikowski_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:56 AM    (permalink
Phrost

Take a receiver in the early second. Jarrett and Rice? Come on thats a nice consolation prize right there.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:38 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
Nothing? Not one pick? Just for fun?
Not only would that take effort, but I don't want to reminisce about who we could of had when I can contemplate who we do have.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:50 AM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.

I'm warming up to the players we got but here's how I would have done it:

1. Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson
2.a. Tony Ugoh, OT, Arkansas
2.b. Charles Johnson, DE, Georgia
3. Jason Hill, WR, Washington State
4. Tanard Jackson, CB/FS, Syracuse
5. Josh Gattis, SS, Wake Forest

Ugoh is a bit of a project compared to Sears and unfortunately the staff hasn't had much success developing offensive linemen but if he's good enough for the Colts to groom to replace Tarik Glenn, he's good enough for me. I don't see linebacker as the need the Bucs apparently did at 2.b. but I wouldn't be against one in the 6th or 7th. I love being able to get bookends at defensive end so next year when Glenn Dorsey, Frank Okam, DeMario Pressley, and Sedrick Ellis are available, defensive tackle can be upgraded.
StaticGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:19 AM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Thumbs up

#1 - Brady Quinn - I know a lot of people will chastise me for this pick due to our current roster, and also due to his final draft position, but I believe getting a shot at a franchise QB is very rare, he could have sat for a year, learnt the playbook, and took over the helm next season for the next 10 years.

#2a - Eric Weddle or Aaron Sears

#2b - Brandon Mebane (UT)

#3 - Charles Johnson

#4 - Tanard Jackson

#5 - Kevin Boss (TE)

#6 - Adam Heyward or John Wendling (depending on 2a pick)

#7a - Nate Ilaoa (RB)

#7b - Chinedum Ndukwe (S) This is my sleeper project, remember his name.
(I hope I haven't just cursed him?)

#7c - Chad Nkang
Old 05-07-2007, 02:43 AM    (permalink
simms2clayton

#4: Gaines Adams was the correct pick...we need a pass rush and I think he could be better than Simeon Rice. A new cornerstone for our defense which we need if we want to win the South.

#35: Justin Blalock G Texas

If we were gonna go guard in round 2 then why not go with Blalock? He was the smartest (acc. to Wonderlic) and strongest OL at the combine. Plus he can play every position that Sears can. I don't get why we past on Blalock for Sears, but I feel like Gruden knows something I don't know about Sears and/or Blalock. But I can't go on that.

#64: Piscitelli was the correct pick. Has a ton of upside and can thrive in the Cover 2. Has Lynch like potential with his triangle numbers, instincts, and leadership.

#68: Brandon Mebane DT California
Mebane can learn behind Carter and Hovan and step in next season to start at the 3 technique. I love his hustle and he gets a lot of second effort sacks.

#107: Tanard Jackson was the correct pick if you look at the reasons why. Rashean Morris coached him at the Sr. Bowl at S and the staff feels like he can play the FS in our Tampa 2. After last season, it would be nice to have both starting safety positions locked up for the next 8-10 years as he and Piscitelli develop that trust and communication in the defensive backfield.

#141: Rufus Alexander OLB Oklahoma
Despite his bad 40 at 4.8, the kid plays on instinct and with heart and leadership. Great value in the 6th.

#182: Doug Datish C Ohio State
I think with Buenning and Datish, Wade would find himself cut.

#214: Ben Patrick TE Delaware
We draft him simply for his 3rd round value. Hey, it worked for the Saints and Colston why not the Bucs and the 3rd best TE in the draft?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:37 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
#1 - Brady Quinn - I know a lot of people will chastise me for this pick due to our current roster, and also due to his final draft position, but I believe getting a shot at a franchise QB is very rare, he could have sat for a year, learnt the playbook, and took over the helm next season for the next 10 years.

#2a - Eric Weddle or Aaron Sears

#2b - Brandon Mebane (UT)

#3 - Charles Johnson

#4 - Tanard Jackson

#5 - Kevin Boss (TE)

#6 - Adam Heyward or John Wendling (depending on 2a pick)

#7a - Nate Ilaoa (RB)

#7b - Chinedum Ndukwe (S) This is my sleeper project, remember his name.
(I hope I haven't just cursed him?)

#7c - Chad Nkang
The only reason Ndukwe is your sleeper is because he is from Notre Dame you dirty homer. :D

Old 05-07-2007, 07:39 AM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms2clayton View Post
#141: Rufus Alexander OLB Oklahoma
Despite his bad 40 at 4.8, the kid plays on instinct and with heart and leadership. Great value in the 6th.
I have to question how much teams are putting into combine results when from December on Rufus Alexander and Earl Everett were considered two of the best weakside linebackers in the draft, then both have pretty pedestrian workouts and fall to the sixth round and undrafted, while Quincy Black was rated a seventh round pick in ESPN's pre-combine magazine and because he has a good workout he goes in the top of the third.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:15 AM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Talking

Quote:
The only reason Ndukwe is your sleeper is because he is from Notre Dame you dirty homer. :D
Hand on Heart, I really think this guy has a pro future at S, he was originaly a Top 30 WR coming out of Coffman HS (Dublin OH) before he switched due to depth at the position. Last season he was (ND's) the second leading tackler on the team, he's aggressive and physical who is active in run-support, he flows to the ball, and isn't afraid to mix it up, he loves to hit and wrap and is great one on one in the open field, he is still learning the position, but given time I'm sure he'll make an impact with the Bengals.

I fully expect "Chinny" and Marvin White to both start at some point this year.

Other than that, I am a dirty homer...lols

Last edited by Merlin : 05-07-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:51 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nedu is vastly underrated because of his alma mater and their horrid pass defense. He had his share of mistakes but he was their bright spot overall in the secondary. I was surprised by his 40 time and I could see him as a spot starter 5 years into the league. He provides a nice contrast to good ol' overrated Zibby, balancing out the over/under factor.

Btw you can lose the sig any time now Merlin, unless you like it ;)

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:32 AM    (permalink
simms2clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticGator View Post
I have to question how much teams are putting into combine results when from December on Rufus Alexander and Earl Everett were considered two of the best weakside linebackers in the draft, then both have pretty pedestrian workouts and fall to the sixth round and undrafted, while Quincy Black was rated a seventh round pick in ESPN's pre-combine magazine and because he has a good workout he goes in the top of the third.
obviously u have watched so much film on quincy black like the tampa bay scouts have so u have plenty of reasons on why we shouldn't have taken him.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:35 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms2clayton View Post
obviously u have watched so much film on quincy black like the tampa bay scouts have so u have plenty of reasons on why we shouldn't have taken him.
He never said it was a bad pick so lay off. He was merely questioning the importance of workout numbers in relation to draft position.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:33 AM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

Quote:
He never said it was a bad pick so lay off. He was merely questioning the importance of workout numbers in relation to draft position.
Thanks and obviously the Tampa Bay staff watched a lot more film on Marquis Cooper than me but they still f-ed that pick up.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:54 AM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Nedu is vastly underrated because of his alma mater and their horrid pass defense. He had his share of mistakes but he was their bright spot overall in the secondary. I was surprised by his 40 time and I could see him as a spot starter 5 years into the league. He provides a nice contrast to good ol' overrated Zibby, balancing out the over/under factor.

Btw you can lose the sig any time now Merlin, unless you like it ;)
Very sporting.....cheers.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:05 AM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticGator View Post
It's a good question, one with multiple answers IMO.

If I was looking at these guy's, my biggest concern would be why these two highly touted prospects had such poor workouts, it's their chance to shine, and financly set themselves up for the rest of their lives, maybe they had poor interveiws?....their are too many possible reasons to list.

In Blacks case, he had an outstanding combine, he's physicaly gifted, and what he doesn't know, he will learn from his coaches, from what I've heard, he also seems to be a high character guy.