Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 01-20-2007, 11:37 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Don't know what to say about the Tim Lewis move, don't know much about the guy. He'll have some talent to work with though, Ken Lucas and Richard Marshall are solid and perhaps he can work some type of magic with Chris Gamble to return him to his Pro Bowl-caliber form. The most important move is to find some talented cornerback depth, either through free agency or the draft.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:02 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Safety is a more pressing need since it's starters we need at those positions.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:52 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Scott Wright reported that our scout at the Senior Bowl talked with Brady Quinn for about fifteen minutes.

My guess is if Brady Quinn experiences a Matt Leinart-like fall if the Detroit Lions don't take him, the Panthers may trade up one or two spots to draft him. I doubt they attempt to trade all the way up to #1 or #2 before the draft.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:22 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5
Scott Wright reported that our scout at the Senior Bowl talked with Brady Quinn for about fifteen minutes.

My guess is if Brady Quinn experiences a Matt Leinart-like fall if the Detroit Lions don't take him, the Panthers may trade up one or two spots to draft him. I doubt they attempt to trade all the way up to #1 or #2 before the draft.
Very interesting. Perhaps the Weis influence is enough to push Fox and take Quinn?
Old 01-22-2007, 07:58 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn
Quote:

Very interesting. Perhaps the Weis influence is enough to push Fox and take Quinn?
I wouldn't be surprised. From what I hear, the two communicate nearly every week and Weis probably brought up Brady Quinn's NFL potential. Fox probably dismissed it until Jake Delhomme was injured and Chris Weinke showed his worth. After that, I think Fox and the front office became much more receptive to Weis' pitches. I still don't believe we'll make some blockbuster deal to move to #1, but if he is around at #8 perhaps we could work a deal with Houston to move ahead of Miami who would be the only real threat to draft Quinn before #14. Who knows, Quinn may fall to #14 naturally which would really work in our favor.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:09 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Scott says the Panthers also talked to Joe Staley and Michael Griffin. Two prospects I really like at two positions of need. In my opinion, Griffin would be a perfect fit for our team.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:29 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Scott says the Panthers also talked to Joe Staley and Michael Griffin. Two prospects I really like at two positions of need. In my opinion, Griffin would be a perfect fit for our team.
Griffin could be available in the second, that would be such an amazing pick.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:34 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Gattis is an interesting guy. He could also be a steal, if he is as good as an athlete as thought.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:05 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
Griffin could be available in the second, that would be such an amazing pick.
If we were able to draft Griffin in the second round, it would probably be a bigger steal than Richard Marshall was last year.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:36 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like Davidson is the new OC.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:19 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

I like this move. Hopefully, he can repeat what he was able to do with the offensive line and tight ends in New England. Perhaps Daniel Graham becomes an option in free agency now? And Brady Quinn becomes a bigger option in the draft with Davidson's connections to Charlie Weis.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:42 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I like this move. Hopefully, he can repeat what he was able to do with the offensive line and tight ends in New England. Perhaps Daniel Graham becomes an option in free agency now? And Brady Quinn becomes a bigger option in the draft with Davidson's connections to Charlie Weis.
Yep. I really want to know what type of style he will bring.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:08 PM    (permalink
fondoffilm
Rookie

fondoffilm is a cocksman.fondoffilm is a cocksman.fondoffilm is a cocksman.fondoffilm is a cocksman.fondoffilm is a cocksman.

Jeff Davidson? Whazzupwitdat?
fondoffilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:40 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

Quote:
I had wondered about that myself.

Also heard that with Magazu moving over to coach the o-line that leaves an opening at TE coach, which it appears Davidson may try to push for Ben Coates to get.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:49 PM    (permalink
pantherzfan28

ok im sure u guys are tired of hearing my qb idea but troy smith came at 6'0 and anyone think carolina will take stanton
Old 01-24-2007, 07:06 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I don't like Stanton. No consistancy, spread offense, makes mistakes that Delhomme does.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:04 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Scouts talked to Tyler Palko today, which means we have been connected to a quarterback on all three days of Senior Bowl practice: Brady Quinn on Monday, Drew Stanton on Tuesday, and Palko today. Definitely is a sign that will we look to address quarterback as early as possible in the draft.

Quinn is the safest option, but also the least likely.

Stanton would likely be a second-round option, but I agree with ShutDwn that he has the mental toughness of a twelve-year-old. People point to the comeback against Northwestern, but you can't ignore his absolute collapse against Notre Dame. Always seemed lost under pressure, which isn't the kind of mentality I want in our quarterback of the future.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:07 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

http://www.gastongazette.com/sections/sports/panthers/

Interview with Davidson. I love his answers, and also that he doesn't seem like he will accept so-so execution.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:52 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Quote:
http://www.gastongazette.com/sections/sports/panthers/

Interview with Davidson. I love his answers, and also that he doesn't seem like he will accept so-so execution.
Great interview. I can't wait to see what this guy does with our offense. Sounds like the possible loss of Keyshawn Johnson may not be as much of a deal as I thought it would. Davidson seems to want to make the tight end the second option in our offense.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:43 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Weiss is John Fox's friend. Quinn is Weiss golden boy. Davidson was weiss's disciple, Quinn would be with someone remotely familiar in coaching style.

Just musing but...

Quinn
Merriweather
Beason

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:19 PM    (permalink
4pAc
Pro Bowler

4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Forum Mock results:
Lawrence Timmons
John Wendling
Dan Bazuin
Aundrae Allison
Kevin Kolb

Acquired:
Eric Johnson
Antonio Bryant
Greg "The Tank" Jones

Traded away:
DeShaun Foster
Drew Carter
Ma'ake Keomeatu

The only thing I would think about changing is probably Griffin in the 1st and Davis in the second

Thoughts?

Sig by Darnik44two

Lord Favre Is Immortal
4pAc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:37 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pAc
Forum Mock results:
Lawrence Timmons
John Wendling
Dan Bazuin
Aundrae Allison
Kevin Kolb

Acquired:
Eric Johnson
Antonio Bryant
Greg "The Tank" Jones

Traded away:
DeShaun Foster
Drew Carter
Ma'ake Keomeatu

The only thing I would think about changing is probably Griffin in the 1st and Davis in the second

Thoughts?
I think we put together a solid forum mock draft.

Even though we made the trade prior to the real-life signing of the new offensive coordinator, Eric Johnson would be a great realistic addition since Davidson seems to want to incorporate the tight end more in the offense. Kevin Kolb is a solid addition that late in the draft and can definitely develop into our quarterback of the future.

Obviously, the trades weren't realistic due to cap hits and whatnot but the point of a forum mock draft is to have fun and address the needs of your team. I think we did that.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:43 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite
Weiss is John Fox's friend. Quinn is Weiss golden boy. Davidson was weiss's disciple, Quinn would be with someone remotely familiar in coaching style.

Just musing but...

Quinn
Merriweather
Beason
I like Brady Quinn in the first round for the obvious reason that he is Brady Quinn.

I like Jon Beason in the third round, although he likely will be chosen alot earlier that that. Earl Everett out of Florida is another possible option.

Wouldn't touch Meriweather though. Alot of talent, but too many character questions. Unless he saves a bus full of handicapped children between now and the draft, I don't think we'll take a chance on him.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:50 PM    (permalink
@$#
Rookie

@$# hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

how about Rouse instead of Merriweather in the second?
@$# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:11 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Only if Rouse can prove that he can play safety at the next level. We shouldn't skip over a proven safety to take someone that could project to either safety or linebacker in the NFL. He'll also have to learn to control his emotions. I've seen this guy quite a few times in the ACC talk crap after plays and get in other guy's faces.