Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 01-27-2007, 07:12 PM    (permalink
@$#
Rookie

@$# hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

judging by scotts sneior bowl reports he is good in coverage but i spose we will have to wait until the combine interviews to see if he is smart enough.

and i think our D could use some emotion
@$# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:50 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @$#
judging by scotts sneior bowl reports he is good in coverage but i spose we will have to wait until the combine interviews to see if he is smart enough.

and i think our D could use some emotion
We don't need another tweener. We need someone who is a gamer at the safety position. Laron Landry would be awesome, he has a lot of spunk.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:59 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If we don't make a move to draft Brady Quinn, we should probably look to address safety in the first round.

Linebacker is a pretty deep position this year, so we have a much better chance of finding a better player in the second round than we do at safety.

LaRon Landry is probably the best all-around safety in the draft, Reggie Nelson is probably the best hitter, and Michael Griffin is probably the best against the run.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:05 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite
Weiss is John Fox's friend. Quinn is Weiss golden boy. Davidson was weiss's disciple, Quinn would be with someone remotely familiar in coaching style.

Just musing but...

Quinn
Merriweather
Beason
I may re-think my initial statement on Meriweather. Sounds like he has impressed everyone at the Senior Bowl. Hopefully, he can impress our coaches at the combine. If the guy can prove he finally has his head on straight, I would love to see him in a Panthers' uniform.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:50 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5
If we don't make a move to draft Brady Quinn, we should probably look to address safety in the first round.

Linebacker is a pretty deep position this year, so we have a much better chance of finding a better player in the second round than we do at safety.

LaRon Landry is probably the best all-around safety in the draft, Reggie Nelson is probably the best hitter, and Michael Griffin is probably the best against the run.
I gotta disagree, I think we can't get as good value in the second at linebacker than we can at safety. Weddle, Merriweather will be available where we pick. The best we could get in the second is buster davis or beason who aren't the same value as the aforementioned safeties.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:57 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite
Quote:

I gotta disagree, I think we can't get as good value in the second at linebacker than we can at safety. Weddle, Merriweather will be available where we pick. The best we could get in the second is buster davis or beason who aren't the same value as the aforementioned safeties.

The so called "top" linebackers this year aren't that far from the pack, and aren't as impressive as the top Safteys.

Draft is fine if we have to go to him, thats not true for the Safety position.

David Harris would be an outstanding pick for us. We need someone who can stop the run and make plays. If we need, he can leave the field on passing downs and we will leave TD and hopefully James Anderson in.

David Harris will be the next Jeremiah Trotter.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:58 AM    (permalink

Would you guys be willing to trade your 1st RD draft pick along with your 2nd RD, and 4rth RD, for the Browns #3 overall pick and draft Brady Quinn?

Using the NFL draft value chart
Panthers are recieving 2,200 points.
Browns are recieving only 1614, so we might need a 3rd rounder enstead of the 4rth, but not sure if youll do that.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:57 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsfan
Would you guys be willing to trade your 1st RD draft pick along with your 2nd RD, and 4rth RD, for the Browns #3 overall pick and draft Brady Quinn?

Browns are recieving only 1614, so we might need a 3rd rounder enstead of the 4rth, but not sure if youll do that.
I don't think we would make that deal.

We would need our second-round pick to address either safety or linebacker. I think it is much more likely that we'll wait and see if Quinn drops to Miami at #9. There we could possibly package our first-round draft pick, third-round draft pick, and a second-day draft pick to move up a couple of spots and draft Quinn. We draft our quarterback of the future and still have our second-round pick to address the defense.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:45 PM    (permalink

Moving up 5 spots in the first round, unfortunatly will cost you more than a mid 3rd round pick and a late pick in this weak draft. And Quinn will not last until the 9th pick. Someone will trade up in the top 5 to pick him if they want him.

But at the same time, if I was the Panthers I probably wouldnt do this trade either, and as I Browns fan i really dont want to loose the 3rd pick. I just thought it was a possibility after the Panthers shown intrest in Quinn.

thanks guys
Old 01-29-2007, 02:10 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Moving up 5 spots in the first round, unfortunatly will cost you more than a mid 3rd round pick and a late pick in this weak draft. And Quinn will not last until the 9th pick. Someone will trade up in the top 5 to pick him if they want him.

But at the same time, if I was the Panthers I probably wouldnt do this trade either, and as I Browns fan i really dont want to loose the 3rd pick. I just thought it was a possibility after the Panthers shown intrest in Quinn.

thanks guys
Kind of like how Lienart wouldn't last till ten? Aaron Rodgers was in the fight for the number one pick too.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:56 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn
Quote:

thanks guys
Kind of like how Lienart wouldn't last till ten? Aaron Rodgers was in the fight for the number one pick too.
Yeah, if the Browns pass on Brady Quinn. I could easily see him fall quite a bit down the board. I think our front office realized this as well, and likely wanted to talk to Quinn just in case that scenario were to happen. If he is available at #9, I really wouldn't be shocked to see some type of trade occur.

And the trade I proposed with Miami does come out roughly even on the value chart. 1,350 / 1,335. Perhaps we could throw in Keary Colbert since Miami needs some depth at wide receiver. If we were to make any kind of trade on draft day, it won't be a blockbuster into the top three picks.

If Brady Quinn is selected by the Cleveland Browns, we'll just draft a safety or linebacker at #14 and target Drew Stanton later in the draft. I would actually like to see what an offensive coordinator who was around Tom Brady throughout his maturation into a NFL quarterback can do with someone like Stanton.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:24 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rumor is that the Panthers may try and trade Kris Jenkins for Cap Reasons. Is he a Big NT run stuffer? And what would you get/want for him?

The Cadillac Three - Tennessee Mojo
http://youtu.be/N41DdVedXCo
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:52 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFan
Rumor is that the Panthers may try and trade Kris Jenkins for Cap Reasons. Is he a Big NT run stuffer? And what would you get/want for him?
Hadn't heard that rumor, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

Kris Jenkins is a fantastic all-around defensive tackle when motivated. Even when he isn't motivated, he is still a load in the middle of the defensive line.

With his durability questions, his value is likely a second or early third round draft pick. Which would be a steal for the team that acquires him if he returns to form.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:43 AM    (permalink
d-dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFan
What is the deal with this rumor? This is completely unfounded and probably something someone wrote to make some noise for their website.

Kris Jenkins will remain a Carolina Panther for 2007. He came back and finished a full season after two season ending injuries. He will continue to get healthy this off season and hopefully keep his weight under control. He got a pro bowl invite pretty much off name alone. There's no way we trade him. I believe that his contract is pretty decent right now as well. There is absolutely zero reason the Panthers would part with Jenkins when he's on his way to getting healthy again.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:21 AM    (permalink
morknolle
Rookie

morknolle hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:

We would need our second-round pick to address either safety or linebacker. I think it is much more likely that we'll wait and see if Quinn drops to Miami at #9. There we could possibly package our first-round draft pick, third-round draft pick, and a second-day draft pick to move up a couple of spots and draft Quinn. We draft our quarterback of the future and still have our second-round pick to address the defense.
Out of curiosity, are you guys as high on JaMarcus Russell as you are on Quinn, i.e. if he manages to fall to the Dolphins rather than Quinn would you still be looking to make that deal. A lot of people are really high on Russell right now but I have a feeling that outside of the Raiders and maybe Vikings that any team in front of you would take Quinn over Russell, so if those two teams look elsewhere (at this point I think they will) then it could be Russell that falls instead of Quinn.

Outside of QB and Landry/Nelson, are there any other players that you're looking at? If Patrick Willis manages to fall past the 49ers, Bills, and Rams would you look to grab him? Any thoughts on Lawrence Timmons? What about Amobi Okoye if he falls to you guys, would you look at him as a replacement for the oft-injured Kris Jenkins? Any thoughts of looking at anything else on offense? Obviously TE is not a consideration this high in the draft, maybe a WR to eventually replace Keyshawn if someone like Jarrett is available, maybe look at OLine somewhere in the 1st day?

Just tossing out some thoughts, so any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
morknolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:47 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by morknolle
Quote:
Quote:

Out of curiosity, are you guys as high on JaMarcus Russell as you are on Quinn, i.e. if he manages to fall to the Dolphins rather than Quinn would you still be looking to make that deal. A lot of people are really high on Russell right now but I have a feeling that outside of the Raiders and maybe Vikings that any team in front of you would take Quinn over Russell, so if those two teams look elsewhere (at this point I think they will) then it could be Russell that falls instead of Quinn.

Outside of QB and Landry/Nelson, are there any other players that you're looking at? If Patrick Willis manages to fall past the 49ers, Bills, and Rams would you look to grab him? Any thoughts on Lawrence Timmons? What about Amobi Okoye if he falls to you guys, would you look at him as a replacement for the oft-injured Kris Jenkins? Any thoughts of looking at anything else on offense? Obviously TE is not a consideration this high in the draft, maybe a WR to eventually replace Keyshawn if someone like Jarrett is available, maybe look at OLine somewhere in the 1st day?

Just tossing out some thoughts, so any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
I'm not sure how interested our front office is in JaMarcus Russell. I'm sure they would consider it if he was somehow available at our pick, but the only guy I could possibly see them moving up to draft would be Quinn.

Both Patrick Willis and Lawrence Timmons would receive strong consideration if Quinn or one of the top safeties isn't available. Personally, I feel we can address depth at middle linebacker later in the draft. We likely won't re-sign Na'il Diggs which will leave a hole at outside linebacker, so Timmons would be a prime target to take his place immediately.

I don't think we'll address defensive tackle at all in the draft. Behind Jenkins, we still have Maake Kemoeatu, Damione Lewis, Jordan Carstens, and Kindal Moorehead. All four have shown solid ability to start if necessary.

We may look at a tight end alot earlier than most people think this season, perhaps Greg Olsen if he is available at our second-round pick. I get the vibe from Jeff Davidson that he wants the tight end to become an important piece of our offense. The increased role of the tight end will decrease the pressure on whoever our #2 wide receiver is, which could allow Drew Carter to move into that position if Keyshawn Johnson were to retire.

Isn't really much value on the offensive line at #14. But, if all our other targets are somehow off the board we could possibly draft Levi Brown as our left tackle for the present and future.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:03 PM    (permalink
UtepMiner

Can someone enlighten me on the Panthers Linebacking situation?

From my understand Dan Morgan is going to come back next year at MLB... I know a lot Panthers fans really like Thomas Davis, does he play on the weakside or strongside? I heard you also said you probably won't re-sign Na'il Diggs.

So would Lawrence Timmons be a good pick for you guys, if both of the top safeties are gone? and do you think he would play WLB, or SLB?
Old 02-02-2007, 02:11 PM    (permalink
BIG Country
Rookie

BIG Country hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Thomas Davis plays SLB. Really in this defense they are interchangeable though. The reason most want Patrick Willis is that Morgan has never been healthy for an entire season. Even during the SB loss season he missed several games due to injury. It's not a question of IF but WHEN will Morgan be hurt again.
Safety should be the #1 priority for Carolina. There are only 3 safeties on the roster, Minter, Deke Cooper and Salley!! TE has now become an option with new OC Jeff Davidson (Charlie Weis disciple). MLB not OLB is an area that needs to be addressed. DE depth is a need. No need anywhere for a DT. Injured LT and C coming back and the OL is switching to the ZBS (no cut-blocking though).
KR/PR MUST be addressed somewhere.
BIG Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:43 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Country
Thomas Davis plays SLB. Really in this defense they are interchangeable though. The reason most want Patrick Willis is that Morgan has never been healthy for an entire season. Even during the SB loss season he missed several games due to injury. It's not a question of IF but WHEN will Morgan be hurt again.
Problem I have with Patrick Willis in the first-round is that Dan Morgan could possibly have another season like '05 where he DOES avoid major injury and plays throughout most of the season. I would hate to have another first-round draft pick ride the bench the majority of his rookie season. Perhaps the one position on our roster where we need immediate help is safety. That is why I feel we should address that position in the first-round no matter what. LaRon Landry or Reggie Nelson would be great, but I feel Michael Griffin would be just as worthy of that #14 pick as either of them. Griffin has been lost in all of the hype around Landry and Nelson and he would be a perfect fit for what we need in a safety.

I suppose once the draft is here, our draft strategy will be somewhat like this:

-If Brady Quinn falls to the Miami Dolphins, attempt to work out a deal to move up and draft him. Perhaps we could unload Keary Colbert in this deal. Give him an opportunity to salvage his career in Miami.

-Stay at #14. LaRon Landry #1 option / Reggie Nelson #2 option / Michael Griffin #3 option.

-Stay at #14. If we decide to address the safety position in free agency. Lawrence Timmons #1 option / Patrick Willis #2 option.

-If there isn't a prospect of value that would fill a need, trade down.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:16 PM    (permalink
BIG Country
Rookie

BIG Country hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The thing with Willis is that he can play outside as well (Just like Morgan did his rookie year). IF Morgan stays healthy we upgraded our OLB position. If he take Timmons and Morgan gets hurt, we have to rely on Draft. In either case, Willis provides more value than Timmons. Personally I would rather grab Landry in the first and Anthony Waters in the third. Waters could fill in for Morgan WHEN he gets hurt. James Anderson also showed that he is coming along and could be the starter at WLB. He has been compared to Witherspoon.
Safety should be the #1 priority for Carolina. There are only 3 safeties on the roster, Minter, Deke Cooper and Salley!! TE has now become an option with new OC Jeff Davidson (Charlie Weis disciple). MLB not OLB is an area that needs to be addressed. DE depth is a need. No need anywhere for a DT. Injured LT and C coming back and the OL is switching to the ZBS (no cut-blocking though).
KR/PR MUST be addressed somewhere.
BIG Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:33 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the panthers take Pouz, Willis or even Timmons we could put them on the weakside, and slide them to the middle in the case of injury and simply plug in Anderson from last year, or Chris Draft.

We could take Merriweather in the second and be very comfortable with the defense we've got and then take Ben Patrick in the third and get a TE for Davidson to use and as a secondary receiving option if Keyshawn does do the bolt and we have to play revolving door at Number 2 Wideout.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:24 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Sounds like we may give Brett Basanez an opportunity to be our quarterback of the future.

Quote:
Technically speaking, he's not even under contract to the team. That hasn't stopped second-year quarterback Brett Basanez from being a fixture at the stadium for workouts this offseason. He's an exclusive-rights free agent (meaning he can only negotiate with the Panthers), and hasn't signed yet. But according to a number of players and team employees, he's constantly around the facility.

Since it's far from certain that backup quarterback Chris Weinke will return, Basanez has a good chance to create a niche for himself here. If they cut Weinke, they'd likely go get another veteran to back up Jake Delhomme, but Basanez impressed the organization during his year on the practice squad and late-season call-up, and he seems very much part of the team's plans...
Old 02-04-2007, 04:24 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Basanez is the definition of a film study guy. I wish someone would put up the spotlight ESPN did on him at Northwestern on Youtube. It was the most bizarre thing I've ever seen, he had all these lights and **** flashing to help him read defenses. I highly doubt he's seen as our future QB, but I wouldnt mind him sticking around as a backup. Then again, maybe Davidson's offense will play to his strengths more

Willis' stock seems to have fallen to late round 1 (it never was really that high to begin with) so I wouldnt mind us trading out of 14. If that means jumping up for Quinn if he falls, so be it, but I'd rather move down and get another #2 out of it. I like Timmons as a player, but he's raw to begin with at OLB. I dont think he'd be able to play MLB anytime soon, if ever. Though, he's probably going to be the only LB who wont be viewed as a reach at 14. Poz is an option also, I guess. I still havent warmed up to taking a non-once in-a-lifetime safety that early, especially with Fox's attitude of picking up random scrubs to fill the void the last few years, but it bit him the ass in 06 so who knows. I liked Whitner a ton last year, but even though he had a solid year no one seems to think he was a major impact player

Meriweather is the best safety in this draft in my opinion, but I highly doubt we take him given his problems (whether they be overstated or not). I'm higher on some of the top safeties more than others, but I dont have major problems with any of them (even Rouse). Just no more Nate Salley's please

If Jamaal Anderson falls (doubtful) he'd be my surprise pick. Otherwise, I like what we have with McClover and the smaller DTs to take over for Rucker. Actually, I like Rucker staying and McClover playing pass downs, but meh
Old 02-05-2007, 03:48 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Don't forget Al Wallace as well. He could hold down the defensive end position until Rucker is healthy or, if Rucker doesn't return, until McClover is ready to take over.

I think we are set on the defensive line for the immediate future. Linebacker, depth at cornerback, and safety are larger needs, in my opinion, on that side of the ball.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:18 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea, like I said, DE is the surprise pick. Giants took Kiwanuka last year with Strahan, Osi and Justin Tuck and he actually ended up playing a lot due to injuries so anything could happen. And Wallace's window is closing fast. He's never been more than decent against the run and he's older than Rucker. He's not going anywhere because he only costs like $1 mil but the years where he could have been a solid starter elsewhere are probably over by now